Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I think it may be the case that the real boss, Methven, is more occupied with thinking about his beloved Oxford United (where Appleton used to work) than being concerned with our progress as a football club.
    I wish you’d give it a rest Seth. 
    Plenty of posters are repetitive around certain things
    Yeah but I think you're #1.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I think it may be the case that the real boss, Methven, is more occupied with thinking about his beloved Oxford United (where Appleton used to work) than being concerned with our progress as a football club.
    And.....
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.
    Can you compare your personal interest in Charlton Athletic with Charlie Methven's?
    I know which one of the two of you is most likely to get a Charlton crest tattooed on your forearm.
    The reason why Methven is here is obscure and foggy to say the least, and if it all goes wrong who do you believe will feel the most pain, you or Methven?
    He will be able to schlepp off to the Kassam to take his mind off things.
    Maybe what Methven brings to the table which you and I lack is cool intelligent objectivity, coupled with the present miserable failure that is accompanying him at the moment.
    Plenty of posters are repetitive around certain things, Methven being a 'U' is one of mine, is that so bad.

P.S. I don't trust him.

We have had loads of owners and high profile supporters who have previously supported other clubs, did you have an issue with all of them?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    And.....
    In what way does that require any elaboration.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    And.....
    In what way does that require any elaboration.
    I thought you might explain why you put 'but' in your comment?
    But what?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.
    Can you compare your personal interest in Charlton Athletic with Charlie Methven's?
    I know which one of the two of you is most likely to get a Charlton crest tattooed on your forearm.
    The reason why Methven is here is obscure and foggy to say the least, and if it all goes wrong who do you believe will feel the most pain, you or Methven?
    Maybe what Methven brings to the table which you and I lack is cool intelligent objectivity, coupled with the present miserable failure that is accompanying him at the moment.
    Plenty of posters are repetitive around certain things, Methven being a 'U' is one of mine, is that so bad.

P.S. I don't trust him.

We have had loads of owners and high profile supporters who have previously supported other clubs, did you have an issue with all of them?
    My issue would be around understanding why they switched from other clubs.
    I call it the David Mellor curiosity.
    Anyway I don't believe Methven has switched from Oxford United to Charlton Athletic, do you believe that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forgive me.
    Have people got a problem with Seth because he's got a problem with Methven?
    Really?
    No. I have a problem with the theory that Methven is deliberately doing badly because he's an Oxford fan, which 1.) is nonsensical - he's just incompetent, it's not a conspiracy and 2.) Gets repeatedly bought up over and over and over again.

I've got problems with Methven. I certainly don't like him or think he's much use. But this Oxford stuff is just boring now.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Yes, can you stop it please?
    I am afraid not.
    As my subsequent posts have demonstrated.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Anyway I don't believe Methven has switched from Oxford United to Charlton Athletic, do you believe that?
    No I don't believe Methven has switched his allegiance. Just wanted to check your consistency 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.

P.S. I don't trust him.

No it's not.

He's getting a wage, and then hoping he'll get a share of a sale.

Obvious why he's here, just less clear whether any of them have any idea how to achieve that.
     I agree. But he wouldn't say that to your face as a fan. He would tell you something completely different.
    so I guess you could call that a little fuzzy.

For me, he's not a lot different to Southall. He just managed to dupe people with actual wealth into getting involved.
    Looks like he's getting the same results though!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    No. I have a problem with the theory that Methven is deliberately doing badly because he's an Oxford fan, which 1.) is nonsensical - he's just incompetent, it's not a conspiracy and 2.) Gets repeatedly bought up over and over and over again.

I've got problems with Methven. I certainly don't like him or think he's much use. But this Oxford stuff is just boring now.
    I have not said that it is deliberate, but emphasised the point that in my view for Methven failure at Charlton is no biggie because he can escape into the arms of Oxford United to forget his troubles.
    I focus on Methven because he seems to be the person in charge.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Really don't get why if your a part owner of a football club you have to support that club. Were the Saudis massive newscastle or man city fans? Was John Berylson a massive Millwall fan ? I could go on. Really can't see the logic of the argument football is a buisness. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?

I have not said that it is deliberate, but emphasised the point that in my view for Methven failure at Charlton is no biggie because he can escape into the arms of Oxford United to forget his troubles.
     I do actually think he's got some skin in the game Seth. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but probably a lot for him.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?

I do actually think he's got some skin in the game Seth. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but probably a lot for him.
    Hes a very small part in all of this imo and recent events have proven he hasn't got as much clout as people think.
  • Options
    Common sense will tell us that those running the club would definitely have had a meeting to discuss Appleton's future. It will also tell us that this would have been a dangerous meeting for Appleton. Then I imagine I was part of that meeting. I would probably say that Appleton now has the opportunity to change the defence, midfield and attack and whilst Burton wasn't great, because players were too new to the club he probably had less ability to fix the defence. So I would be for giving him the next two games but only one if the performance was dire against Northampton. Appleton seems to know he has to turn it round fast. I think he didn't refer to very quickly in his press conference, but very, VERY, quickly! I think that is reasonable and I would hope that fans give the club full support to help him achieve that even if they think it is unlikely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do love an ownership conspiracy theory 
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    OK.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Really don't get why if your a part owner of a football club you have to support that club. Were the Saudis massive newscastle or man city fans? Was John Berylson a massive Millwall fan ? I could go on. Really can't see the logic of the argument football is a buisness. 
    I get that too.
    But our present misery hurts more for the Charlton supporters than the Oxford Supporters, and if it is hurting, Charlton supporters are much more likely to go that extra mile to put things right, they can't walk away.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?

Do you remember the excellent Airman quote where he said we are a club where the management has chosen the ownership?
    Maybe that is all wrong, but the buck stops somewhere.
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?

Hes a very small part in all of this imo and recent events have proven he hasn't got as much clout as people think.
    Do we know who has the most or the actual clout at Charlton Athletic?
  • Options
    On the pre match interview on Charlton TV Appleton said he took training yesterday morning.
  • Options
    Common sense will tell us that those running the club would definitely have had a meeting to discuss Appleton's future. It will also tell us that this would have been a dangerous meeting for Appleton. Then I imagine I was part of that meeting. I would probably say that Appleton now has the opportunity to change the defence, midfield and attack and whilst Burton wasn't great, because players were too new to the club he probably had less ability to fix the defence. So I would be for giving him the next two games but only one if the performance was dire against Northampton. Appleton seems to know he has to turn it round fast. I think he didn't refer to very quickly in his press conference, but very, VERY, quickly! I think that is reasonable and I would hope that fans give the club full support to help him achieve that even if they think it is unlikely.
    I agree with all of this. I think we might have hit a point where some people have such a personal dislike of MA that they would rather he didn’t turn it around so that he can be sacked. 

18 managers in 17 years (or whatever it is) suggests maybe we aren’t giving people enough time - I don’t think he’s a world-beater but with the right tools he could probably get us out of this league. Saying that if he’s lost the dressing room then it may be time to go but I think he deserves two more games to see if he can work something out with the new arrivals. 

Generally I cringe when it all gets a bit ‘man who’s managed over 500 football league matches is clueless and tactically inept’ says ex U11 school captain Steve in Eltham, 36.