Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    #AppletonOut!
  • Options
    Alex Ferguson had managed Aberdeen before United and won European cups, League titles and Scottish cups. 

Michael Appleton before Charlton has let's see, has mustered a 25% win rate at Pompey, 16% at Blackpool, 26% at Blackburn, 24% in his second attempt at Blackpool and now has a 29% at Charlton. A 37% rate overall, gracefully stat padded by his league 2 Oxford side where it's the only club he's managed more wins than losses. 

It's an utterly extreme, and ridiculous comparison. I can't stand that Fergie is used as a benchmark in giving a manager time among football fans, he is a complete exception, one of a kind, and one of, if not the best manager we will ever see.
    Any thoughts on Chris Powell being given time after 2 wins in 19?
  • Options
    Alex Ferguson had managed Aberdeen before United and won European cups, League titles and Scottish cups. 

Michael Appleton before Charlton has let's see, has mustered a 25% win rate at Pompey, 16% at Blackpool, 26% at Blackburn, 24% in his second attempt at Blackpool and now has a 29% at Charlton. A 37% rate overall, gracefully stat padded by his league 2 Oxford side where it's the only club he's managed more wins than losses. 

It's an utterly extreme, and ridiculous comparison. I can't stand that Fergie is used as a benchmark in giving a manager time among football fans, he is a complete exception, one of a kind, and one of, if not the best manager we will ever see.
    Any thoughts on Chris Powell being given time after 2 wins in 19?
    Yeah, better footballer and better manager who was and still is an absolute Charlton legend that had a grace period, that he earned with fans so was given time.
    And was openly critical of his squad in 2010-11, while Appleton is the complete opposite. the sooner he is gone, the better 
  • Options
    MrBurns said:
    robroy said:
    #AppletonOut!

Gonna say that to his face? 
    Would ya?
    I've heard his hands are registered deadly weapons
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Michael Appleton being compared with SAF 😂😂😂 absolutely seen it all now 
    Almost 15 years ago, there was a manager in League One who went on a run of 2 wins in 19 games. He was almost sacked by his club but he hung on to his job and the following season he got his team promoted as champions.

His name is Chris Powell.

Is that a more satisfactory answer?
    Sorry but that is nonsense.

No-one as far as I am aware ever said Powells role at the club was in danger when he was first appointed. 

Wasn't it accepted that he was just going to see that season out and make a decision on who he would keep? (And it didn't take him long to work out not many were worth keeping!)
    Fairly sure Airman’s been on here in the past and said that Jimenez had to be talked out of sacking him…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Almost 15 years ago, there was a manager in League One who went on a run of 2 wins in 19 games. He was almost sacked by his club but he hung on to his job and the following season he got his team promoted as champions.

No-one as far as I am aware ever said Powells role at the club was in danger when he was first appointed. 

Wasn't it accepted that he was just going to see that season out and make a decision on who he would keep? (And it didn't take him long to work out not many were worth keeping!)
    He was also wanted by 99% of the fan base. Appletons appointment was always flying in the face of the fan base, it's not the reason his position is being speculated on but he would have had to produce a superb run of results to make even a dent in the negativity surrounding his appointment. The loss of Leaburn and Chuks simply hurried the inevitable. 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

Fairly sure Airman’s been on here in the past and said that Jimenez had to be talked out of sacking him…
    Powell did win his first four games, which is context, as is that awful 2010/11 squad. He was certainly at risk in the spring of 2011.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

Powell did win his first four games, which is context, as is that awful 2010/11 squad. He was certainly at risk in the spring of 2011.

Pretty sure PV said something about this at the Modpod gig back in May, that he had to intervene to stop Jimenez pulling the plug. They knew how bad that squad was and most of those players knew they were going so had no incentive.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

Was Powell nearly sacked?
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Mrkinski said:
    It really feels like there is absolutely no way back from here for Appleton regardless of the next few results, can anyone think of any occasions where manager as been at this point so close to the brink then managed to turn it around and go to have success?  

Alex Ferguson

This geezer is no Fergie. Btw any chance of the Covered End Choir singing a new song tonight - The Pretenders ‘Brass in pocket’ with lyrics changed to ‘hands in pocket’. Ok I’ll get my coat (useful as it’s going to be a bit cold tonight).
    This Fergie geezer is no Busby…

For the youngsters on this Thread 🧐
    Because he made sure he was matey with Martin Edwards the owner, he could struggle and even lost to Charlton Athletic 2-0 where Paul Williams a little whippet from the lower leagues scored a brace at Selhurst park. He played Lee Sharpe at RB.
    A win at Oxford  shortly after thanks to the unassuming Mark Robins who has done a great job at Coventry and the rest is history.
    You would never get 3 years now at a 'big' club and tread water.

We've had Fergie time, will we have Apple time if we struggle against the Cobblers ?
    Will he get the Boot ? Have Charlton lost their sole and are they instep with the Charlton fans who are turning ugly ?
  • Options
    Callum do you think MA is the right man for the Charlton job? As in, will get us promoted if given time? Genuine question.

Asking because I respect your opinion, but personally I don't think he is, was or will ever be the right fit for us, and have felt that way since day 1.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I just want to confirm again, nobody on this entire site has seen any personal abuse of MA anywhere? Because not even MA himself had seen it. He said someone told him about it. And then he proceeded to offer these apparently imaginary people out. 
    There have definitely been comments about his tattoos and how he looks. There haven't been many though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

He wasnt nearly sacked. Not even close to being so.
  • Options

Michael Appleton before Charlton has let's see, mustered a 25% win rate at Pompey, 16% at Blackpool, 26% at Blackburn, 24% in his second attempt at Blackpool and now has a 29% at Charlton. A 37% rate overall, gracefully stat padded by his league 2 Oxford side, where it's the only club he's managed more wins than losses. 

No……that was Bill Shankly. 😏
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

MA only lost 2 of his first 16
  • Options
    If one assumes 3 points for a win across all his 453 games in management so far, then according to Wiki his record is 1.39 points per game, which would leave us on 64 points over 46 games. Nothing special but NOT a serial loser as some insist. He's still won more games than he's lost. Fact. 

I'm not saying he should continue with us because I don't, but I can't understand why some still feel the need to rewrite the record books when all that matters is his record with us.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I just want to confirm again, nobody on this entire site has seen any personal abuse of MA anywhere? Because not even MA himself had seen it. He said someone told him about it. And then he proceeded to offer these apparently imaginary people out. 
    - I would say referring to how someone looks would definitely count as personal abuse.

- Maybe it’s just me, but someone saying, ‘they wouldn’t say it to my face’ (which is true for the most part) really is not offering someone out.
    Agreed. He was making an observation about keyboard warriors, albeit an unnecessary one
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Chunes said:
    - I would say referring to how someone looks would definitely count as personal abuse.

- Maybe it’s just me, but someone saying, ‘they wouldn’t say it to my face’ (which is true for the most part) really is not offering someone out.
    Agreed. He was making an observation about keyboard warriors, albeit an unnecessary one
    And it’s amusing that all the keyboard warriors are offended by it. Makes me laugh that some in the football world seem to think they can whatever want. 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Chunes said:

We arguably have one of the most family oriented, nicest fanbases in the country and for me the comment and subsequent damnation were unneeded. Every public figurehead, particularly of such a failing ship as ours, is going to get comments in 2024 and something about tattoos or whatnot hardly warrants a "say it to my face" in a press conference. 
  • Options
    I've tried to get an understanding of what's going on but in all honesty, I haven't a clue!

Sounds like something major has gone down, can anyone give me a brief overview, please?