Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Its a good questions. From my side - if we win 5 in a row and reflect the players he has now got at his disposal? Well I would hold my hands up and say fair play.

Fact is i don't think we will. I don't even think we will win tomorrow (as I said about Burton).

I think they will eventually let him go, but it will be too late, and we will go down. And everyone will be saying they should have acted sooner.
    I agree with a lot of that, but if we change by mid Feb we’ll be ok, too many goals in the team that if properly managed will be fine 
    I'm not sure it's the goal scoring that will define our season...
  • Options
    So, the SMT agreed to get rid of MA, went to the owners for their thumbs up but before they got the nod they told ITK people what was happening........ no way, I don't believe that for a moment.

The dressing room may have been 'lost' to some extent......... some of the squad over the last few months were wondering if they had a future at the club, some knew they didn't and a couple had an unsure contract situation........ can't have been a tight and happy dressing room with all that going on I wouldn't have thought. Not easy to manage a group like that.......... not MA's doing but more the situation he inherited.

Then there's been whatever going on in the background to somewhat dismantle and rebuild the support infrastructure. Who knows how many noses were put out of joint by that.

A big turnaround going on at our club accompanied I'm sure by some folks who welcome it, some who are made unhappy by it and some who fight it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest all this (plus other stuff I guess) will drag an organisation and it's people down. On the playing side this would help cause all the disappointing performances and results we've seen too much of. 

A turnaround business needs strong leaders with good personalities to both fight the fight and to stroke the folk whenever necessary. That's not just down to MA to do but for obvious reasons he's a big focal point for dissatisfaction.

I think the club have done a poor job of managing this situation, including what's sometimes called stakeholder communications......... including managing fan expectations.

MA's personality and demeanour probably aren't best suited to some of what he's found since he arrived and it sounds like he's also been on the receiving end of inexcusable personal and family abuse. He could and should help himself more though.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Is it possible that they spoke with him about him leaving by mutual consent and he’s refused and said I don’t walk away. Sack me. 
    Mutual consent and getting sacked are really the same thing. Mutual consent just means they’ve mutually agreed the terms of the termination of his contract (I.e. what sort of payout he’s going to get). Appleton could refuse to play ball, but this way he gets a significant pay out and gets to save some face. Probably stops him getting a reputation as a trouble maker too.

I prefer the route lots of Italian teams take, rather than sacking & terminating the contracts of failing managers they just put them on gardening leave. That way they don’t get an immediate massive payout (though they do remain on the payroll for the remainder of their deal), you reduce the number of options the competition have when they’re looking for a manager and you also have some ready made options when the next manager fails!

If we followed this approach we could bring back Jackson, Garner or Holden to replace Appleton.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    I hope tomorrow there’s heat towards Scott as well as Appleton, we are ultimately where we are because of him.
    Cheers for Coventry, Bakinson, Ladapo, Rarmani, Gillesphy, Fiorini. Actually showing actions that spoke louder than words. Showing tangible signs of progress in our recruitment. But let’s give him a load of grief as well.
    Right! 

Let this managerial situation play out. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes. If there is an improvement managerially, like there has been recruitment wise, happy days, if not then you’ve something to give heat about!
    Thanks Andy for the new players then!

Not sure if you’ve been living under a rock, but 2 wins in 15 isn’t exactly a good time to “let this managerial situation play out”.
  • Options
    Is it possible that they spoke with him about him leaving by mutual consent and he’s refused and said I don’t walk away. Sack me. 
    It’s about as possible as them deciding it by a game of paper, scissor, stone.

(Which Appleton would have lost what with his hands in his pockets)
    World champion at pocket billiards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously put better than I did but yeah that’s what I’m suggesting.
  • Options
    Just watched Appleton’s press conference, tomorrow will be his last match if we lose. He repeated he’d face the consequences and we all know what will happen if we don’t get a result, several times. He is living on borrowed time, that’s pretty obvious. I do feel sorry for him but football is a results business, he knows that more than anyone. 
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 22
    PWADDICK said:
    I hope tomorrow there’s heat towards Scott as well as Appleton, we are ultimately where we are because of him.
    Cheers for Coventry, Bakinson, Ladapo, Rarmani, Gillesphy, Fiorini. Actually showing actions that spoke louder than words. Showing tangible signs of progress in our recruitment. But let’s give him a load of grief as well.
    Right! 

Let this managerial situation play out. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes. If there is an improvement managerially, like there has been recruitment wise, happy days, if not then you’ve something to give heat about!
    But has recruited a piss poor manager and signed a load of rubbish in the summer that meant half of them went back to their parent clubs in January.
    But, we don’t know how much money he had to work with in the summer. There’s no way the new consortium would finance a transfer window if they thought the deal wasn’t going to happen. We were probably still under the tight purse strings of Sandgaard, hence the lack of quality that was brought in. This window has been different. No one can argue that this hasn’t been a good window. Now we need a coach/manager who can handle the players. We know the juries well and truly out on Appleton. Let’s see how it pans out. 
  • Options
    What a strange day.  I don't see the point in giving him 1 more game.  Looks like he's lost the dressing room & he never had the fans on side either.

Was a strange appointment & it's even more strange to be dragging this out & prolonging the inevitable

What evidence is there that he has lost the dressing room? I hate these throwaway comments, the sort of comments that lead to ' no smoke without fire' scenario. Why would so many players who have played with Appleton have joined us. Do I think he will go-yes, do I want him to be our long term manager-no, but making stuff up is unacceptable.
    Alfie May's reaction after the final whistle on Saturday - maybe a little circumstantial and not evidence of the entire dressing room, but having your top scorer and talisman react that way I feel is an indicator that all isn't well. 

And Doucher, I don't think he's clueless, 

Wasn't that a reaction that he didn't think his teammates were putting in the effort or tactics that the manager demanded. 
    eh? i'm pro may and anti appleton if that helps?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Right! 

But has recruited a piss poor manager and signed a load of rubbish in the summer that meant half of them went back to their parent clubs in January.
    But, we don’t know how much money he had to work with in the summer. There’s no way the new consortium would finance a transfer window if they thought the deal wasn’t going to happen. We were probably still under the tight purse strings of Sandgaard, hence the lack of quality that was brought in. This window has been different. No one can argue that this hasn’t been a good window. Now we need a coach/manager who can handle the players. We know the juries well and truly out on Appleton. Let’s see how it pans out. 
    It will only be a good window when results improve. Too soon to say.
    We are now committed to 352 with no proper 10 yet through the door and dodgy wingbacks. We will soon see if the defence recruits make any difference.
  • Options

Just noticed this, “Flomsie” who appears to be CBT’s agent posted this on instagram a couple of days ago. For those who haven’t seen the video, the above bald man cries about losing his job. Now I’m no conspiracy theorist…
  • Options
    edited January 22
    PWADDICK said:
    Just noticed this, “Flomsie” who appears to be CBT’s agent posted this on instagram a couple of days ago. For those who haven’t seen the video, the above bald man cries about losing his job. Now I’m no conspiracy theorist…
    He was posting that in response to Derby fans who had found his account and grabbed screenshots of him posting Corey in a Derby shirt before they'd officially announced it. Don't know why it would have anything to do with Appleton.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 23
    Southbank said:
    Rob said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Right! 

It will only be a good window when results improve. Too soon to say.
    We are now committed to 352 with no proper 10 yet through the door and dodgy wingbacks. We will soon see if the defence recruits make any difference.
    True. With the players we have, they should. But we shall see. I was surprised that he didn’t start Gillesphey and REG last Saturday. And I wasn’t surprised with the way we conceded that 1st goal. Business as usual if you don’t change things. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s about as possible as them deciding it by a game of paper, scissor, stone.

(Which Appleton would have lost what with his hands in his pockets)
    Schrödinger’s paper, scissor, stone.  All 3 are equal possibilities and you will never, ever know 
  • Options
    Hopefully Appleton can reach some sort of financial package with the club today and we won't have to witness a very embarrassing evening tonight. 
    That would of course involve us having proper professional people in charge of our club.
    So I won't be expecting it to happen. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sounds as if things have got really messy.. It isn't going to end well that's for sure.. I think tonight is going to be extremely toxic tonight at the valley.. Maybe never like this to a manager before! 
    There will probably only be about 5k There tonight. 
    Some will shout and moan.
    The rest are just resigned to the fact our club is a basket case.
    Disagree, tonight will be lively. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sounds as if things have got really messy.. It isn't going to end well that's for sure.. I think tonight is going to be extremely toxic tonight at the valley.. Maybe never like this to a manager before! 
    I know you only share what you’re told, and for that I’m grateful, but I assume you must question the veracity of your own sources given that you told us:

He has gone, he was told on Saturday night, the set up for the next few games was arranged yesterday, it hasn't been announced yet, is because of legal stuff! 

I have reconfirmed 3 or 4 times with different sources, and same answer every time..”