Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Did Appleton text the number on the big screen about the abuse he has now raised?
  • Options
    edited January 22
    supaclive said:
    Wouldn't you have taken one look at Appleton's managerial career to know that he'd never walk away from a pay-off? 

He's a professional at it. 
    Don’t like this implication that he’s only in it for a payoff and he doesn’t actually care about wins and losses. It’s very unfair.

I doubt you’ve ever had a bad performance review at work and decided later that day that actually the company is better off without you and you’re going to resign.
    I've never had a bad performance review at work 
    I've also never been fired from numerous jobs
    I'm also currently not failing in my profession, taking the company to its lowest ever professional standing

Appleton's record would get him sacked in probably 80+ of the 92 current league manager jobs

And I'm being nice to him not saying in 91 other clubs!

That doesn’t change anything about what I said… I’m glad you’re a model employee
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    That press conference was the most detached from us as club I have ever heard from a manager of us.

Nothing like we are all in this mess together type of talk, need to all come together etc
    He does not work for us anymore though.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Asked my sparrows lane contact if MA is there today and that was at 8 am - Read it and no reply. 
    I’m clutching at straws a little and think surely it would have been easier to say yes so based on that I’d be amazed if he is there taking training/in charge tomorrow. 
    Maybe this was one of the messages that started the did he didn’t he take training.

sorry if it wasn’t.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    That press conference was the most detached from us as club I have ever heard from a manager of us.

Nothing like we are all in this mess together type of talk, need to all come together etc
    I thought there was plenty of the "we need to knuckle down" stuff, but at the same time well aware the buck stopped with him when the shit hits the fan...
  • Options
    Hmmm, I like the way this new board works, maybe they’re looking to loan Appleton out..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 22
    Got to say, I am rather confused.. Not just 1 person, 2 or 3 people who I get information from, have all been saying the same thing..

Maybe a ploy to even more pressure on, I don't know. 

Be interested to hear his comments.. As I understand he didn't take training today either.

Just thought I'd repost where the rumour of Appleton not taking training today came from. The poster sets himself up as the only one in the know, the truth is quite the opposite. A lot of people on here bought this pile of bilge, I have sympathy for the conned but not the conman. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't even care if he starts winning. I want him gone and I feel like a large part of the fanbase feel the same.
    If he starts winning then he can stay for as long as he does.

Problem is we've not seen anything to suggest he will.
    That's probably fair and accurate. 
  • Options
    So just catching up… am I reading it right that Appleton has entered the quantum realm where he is both  sacked and not sacked, and training and not training. I’m confused because I have just pulled up into the Makros car park and I could swear that is him pacing about with his shirt off? 
    Oh no it's started. Stay safe Kiwi, be vigilant. 
  • Options
    So (And I don’t think this will happen BTW) if he wins tomorrow and wins again and then again and so on. What would peoples reactions be? Football is a fickle business would it be the next loss it just goes back to this or would he build a bit of credit if we go on a bit of a run? 
  • Options
    edited January 22
    So (And I don’t think this will happen BTW) if he wins tomorrow and wins again and then again and so on. What would peoples reactions be? Football is a fickle business would it be the next loss it just goes back to this or would he build a bit of credit if we go on a bit of a run? 
    Needs 4 points minimum this week and a minimum of 9 from the 6 games in February

Otherwise how long do the board give him then. 
  • Options
    Its a good questions. From my side - if we win 5 in a row and reflect the players he has now got at his disposal? Well I would hold my hands up and say fair play.

Fact is i don't think we will. I don't even think we will win tomorrow (as I said about Burton).

I think they will eventually let him go, but it will be too late, and we will go down. And everyone will be saying they should have acted sooner.
  • Options
    I’m confused about the last 24 hours. A couple of posters who I trust wouldn’t post stuff unless they were certain about it basically stated he’d been sacked. And then we get today’s press ‘conference’.

Now, is it possible they wanted to sack him but didn’t want the cost, or the owners refused to sanction the cost, so they told him that and either asked him to resign or hoped he would and he refused or didn’t do so. Hence the comments about never walking away from a situation. And nor should he, he’s under contract and if they want him out then sack him.

Either way he’s lost all credibility and practically all the supporters. It’s just a question of time now. The situation is irretrievable.

If we win tomorrow it’s just a stay of execution and prolongs the agony. 
    Large, I think certain posters have lost credibility. You can only deal with facts, Appleton took training, Appleton attended the press conference. With both of those facts established, both events do not sound like he was packing his bags in a hurry. I didn't think he was the right appointment but I have no faith that the owners will replace him with anyone better. For me his selection of the team on Saturday worried me to the point of my not being convinced he is able sort the defensive side of the team out, even with the forwards missing he should have been able to stem the tide of goals conceded. He's not my choice but some posters do their argument to get rid a disservice by a series of falsehoods. 
  • Options
    Its a good questions. From my side - if we win 5 in a row and reflect the players he has now got at his disposal? Well I would hold my hands up and say fair play.

Fact is i don't think we will. I don't even think we will win tomorrow (as I said about Burton).

I think they will eventually let him go, but it will be too late, and we will go down. And everyone will be saying they should have acted sooner.
    I agree with a lot of that, but if we change by mid Feb we’ll be ok, too many goals in the team that if properly managed will be fine 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m confused about the last 24 hours. A couple of posters who I trust wouldn’t post stuff unless they were certain about it basically stated he’d been sacked. And then we get today’s press ‘conference’.

Now, is it possible they wanted to sack him but didn’t want the cost, or the owners refused to sanction the cost, so they told him that and either asked him to resign or hoped he would and he refused or didn’t do so. Hence the comments about never walking away from a situation. And nor should he, he’s under contract and if they want him out then sack him.

Either way he’s lost all credibility and practically all the supporters. It’s just a question of time now. The situation is irretrievable.

Come on Large, use your noddle. Do you genuinely think there’s even the tiniest chance that someone like him would be ‘asked’ to resign without the pay off he’d be entitled to? and him say oh, ok then? 
    No of course not. I’m questioning whether they may have asked that. If they did I’m not expecting him to say yes.
  • Options
    So just catching up… am I reading it right that Appleton has entered the quantum realm where he is both  sacked and not sacked, and training and not training. I’m confused because I have just pulled up into the Makros car park and I could swear that is him pacing about with his shirt off? 
    I’ve just seen Harry Potter swooping into the Valley on a broom. This shit is going down! 
  • Options
    edited January 22

Come on Large, use your noddle. Do you genuinely think there’s even the tiniest chance that someone like him would be ‘asked’ to resign without the pay off he’d be entitled to? and him say oh, ok then? 
    No of course not. I’m questioning whether they may have asked that. If they did I’m not expecting him to say yes.
    But we can't be genuinely suggesting they sat him down and said, "We want to sack you, but we can't afford it... So can you just leave?"
  • Options
    Is it possible that they spoke with him about him leaving by mutual consent and he’s refused and said I don’t walk away. Sack me. 
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    I hope tomorrow there’s heat towards Scott as well as Appleton, we are ultimately where we are because of him.
    This!!! Scott is very much to blame in my opinion. But as with many fans I would love to tell MA what I think of the job he is doing at our club to his face. I would like to let him know how lucky he has been to have this job and tell him how much this club means to so many people. Perfomances like the second half on Saturday are just not acceptable. It is humiliating following Charlton at the moment. 
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    I hope tomorrow there’s heat towards Scott as well as Appleton, we are ultimately where we are because of him.
    Cheers for Coventry, Bakinson, Ladapo, Rarmani, Gillesphy, Fiorini. Actually showing actions that spoke louder than words. Showing tangible signs of progress in our recruitment. But let’s give him a load of grief as well.
    Right! 

Let this managerial situation play out. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes. If there is an improvement managerially, like there has been recruitment wise, happy days, if not then you’ve something to give heat about!
    But has recruited a piss poor manager and signed a load of rubbish in the summer that meant half of them went back to their parent clubs in January.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Is it possible that they spoke with him about him leaving by mutual consent and he’s refused and said I don’t walk away. Sack me. 
    That's 100% on the senior management team to clearly not know who they've hired. The man knows how the game is played. He'll be wanting the full pay-out.