Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    If nothing else, hopefully the directors have been on the phone to various coaches  over the last few days to gauge interest.

I know it’s League 2 but when Colchester sacked Etherington, they appointed the Cowley’s within a couple of days. 

Same with Shrewsbury. Sacked Taylor, and looks like Hurst had already been lined up. I would hope the delay (if there is one) is because Scott, Methvan and whoever else want to line up Appleton’s replacement first. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Here's another possibility. It was all bollocks. People read rumours on here or elsewhere and then share them with their mates as if they've heard it themselves. And then they again get shared on here, and the circle continues. It's a snowball effect. 
    Are you trying to tell me my best mates cousins dog walker isn't a reliable source of Charlton rumours?
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Given what seems total confusion and a complete mess, along with the near certainty of reliable itk posters like Dubai here and Reams elsewhere that he’d gone. I can only assume that people who have the money and not day to day involvement have now got involved and put a halt, either temporarily or permanently on the SMT while they assess what’s going on. 
    If that is the case let’s just hope they don’t do a Nero and fiddle whilst Rome burns, time is of the essence!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sounds as if things have got really messy.. It isn't going to end well that's for sure.. I think tonight is going to be extremely toxic tonight at the valley.. Maybe never like this to a manager before! 
    I know you only share what you’re told, and for that I’m grateful, but I assume you must question the veracity of your own sources given that you told us:

He has gone, he was told on Saturday night, the set up for the next few games was arranged yesterday, it hasn't been announced yet, is because of legal stuff! 

I have reconfirmed 3 or 4 times with different sources, and same answer every time..”
    To be fair, Dubai wasn't the only person to say this.

something has gone on. My view is that he was either told to leave mutually but he said no or the investors overruled the smt
    I go for the latter.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sounds as if things have got really messy.. It isn't going to end well that's for sure.. I think tonight is going to be extremely toxic tonight at the valley.. Maybe never like this to a manager before! 
    I know you only share what you’re told, and for that I’m grateful, but I assume you must question the veracity of your own sources given that you told us:

He has gone, he was told on Saturday night, the set up for the next few games was arranged yesterday, it hasn't been announced yet, is because of legal stuff! 

I have reconfirmed 3 or 4 times with different sources, and same answer every time..”

something has gone on. My view is that he was either told to leave mutually but he said no or the investors overruled the smt
    I go for the latter.
    I’m not sure, I find it hard to believe that the owners would be willing to spend money on players, but would risk relegation and the loss of revenue that comes with that, because they are unwilling to spend the money on sacking Appleton.

Would seem counter intuitive to me. But who knows. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I go for the latter.
    I’m not sure, I find it hard to believe that the owners would be willing to spend money on players, but would risk relegation and the loss of revenue that comes with that, because they are unwilling to spend the money on sacking Appleton.

Would seem counter intuitive to me. But who knows. 
    Might be something in his contract that there is a cheaper break clause in the summer. As the club probably didn’t consider relegation being an issue but thought they might want to reassess in the summer if Appleton hadn’t done that well
  • Options
    @DubaiCAFC is well connected so i have no doubt the information he was given was genuine,especially as he said it was verified by 4 different people. 

My guess is that something changed last minute , or the person making the decision to sack Appleton (presumably Scott) was overuled. 

It's all very strange, but I'd love to have been a fly on the wall yesterday. 

Just another mad day at Charlton athletic 
    Scott needs to go, he's been a total flop here.
  • Options
    Everyone’s situation is different. Every link to the club is different.

But from my side, if you genuinely are close to someone involved at the club, you’re not gonna start positing it on Charlton Life.
    …without their approval. 
  • Options
    I haven't read any of this but i will tell you one thing i am sick to death of this fucking merry go round. 

get average manager in that wants a job and will take anything.
    Inherits old squad he didn't employ and tries his best, normally does well at the start
    gets a few players in he wants and it doesn't go well
    Everyone starts moaning
    he gets sacked 

and round we go 

I genuinely think we need to keep a manager for good or bad for a few years and let him build.
    How many leagues would we have to drop down before the manager gets sacked, with your above scenario?

And also, it’s not ‘everyone starting to moan’  that gets managers sacked - it’s results or lack of. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 23
    Maybe the owners had been told before the Burton game that he'd be given more time, so the knee jerk reaction on Saturday night was premature in their eyes, especially given that the next chance for MA to redeem himself comes so soon after. I suspect someone has either intervened or changed their mind for us to end up with him being given another chance, and I doubt the repercussions of this episode will stop with whatever fate now befalls MA.

However, my thoughts are based on my assumption that the information leaked over the weekend and yesterday came from sources within the Club. If it was fake news, then no blame should be attached to the Club, other than for not issuing denials, although it did at some point as tweeted by Cawley IIRC.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Maybe the owners had been told before the Burton game that he'd be given more time, so the knee jerk reaction on Saturday night was premature in their eyes, especially given that the next chance for MA to redeem himself comes so soon after. I suspect someone has either intervened or changed their mind for us to end up with him being given another chance, and I doubt the repercussions of this episode will stop with whatever fate now befalls MA.

However, my thoughts are based on my assumption that the information leaked over the weekend and yesterday came from sources within the Club. If it was fake news, then no blame should be attached to the Club, other than for not issuing denials, although it did at some point as tweeted by Cawley IIRC.
    Of course it came from inside the club.
  • Options
    timken said:
    they were not in long enough in the summer to do anything significant

Signing players and sacking the manager are significant IMHO
  • Options
    @DubaiCAFC is well connected so i have no doubt the information he was given was genuine,especially as he said it was verified by 4 different people. 

My guess is that something changed last minute , or the person making the decision to sack Appleton (presumably Scott) was overuled. 

It's all very strange, but I'd love to have been a fly on the wall yesterday. 

Just another mad day at Charlton athletic 
    This seems possible.

We have a convoluted two tier multi-person, international ownership/management group, a blabber mouth director (Methven) and a failing men's team (the women are doing quite well but they have kept the same manager and brought in experienced players).

It's also a very new relationship between the US owners and the UK directors. Trust hasn't yet, most likely, been fully built.

And possibly the same within the UK directors. I can believe that they are all very conscious that they need to keep the moneybags happy and will pass the blame onto a colleague rather than take it themselves.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    swordfish said:

Of course it came from inside the club.
    As I have no knowledge of these inside contacts at the Club, I have to take what others post that they have said at face value. I feel it's only right for me to make it clear I'm doing that if I'm going on to speculate based on what's been posted.
  • Options
    I have always been convinced Methven would be left holding the baby when things go tits up.
    I'm pretty sure the likes of Friedman and Brener will have walk away clauses up to the eyeballs.

Methven must be on very thin ice and our club in a perilous position.