Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Miles Leaburn is a decent young prospect - but Erling Haaland aged 20 he is not.
    And your point being?
    You say that having him back is huge - like we would be top 6 if he'd been around.   I simply say he's a decent young prospect and I don't think he's the difference between the new ownership being successful or not.
    I think we probably would be top 6 if he'd not got injured?
    We can agree to disagree.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Miles Leaburn is a decent young prospect - but Erling Haaland aged 20 he is not.
    And your point being?
    You say that having him back is huge - like we would be top 6 if he'd been around.   I simply say he's a decent young prospect and I don't think he's the difference between the new ownership being successful or not.
    We may or may not have been top 6 but I would be fairly sure we would not be 17th either. And that's purely because we'd have had more than one striker for several weeks, regardless of how good or not he is.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    We may or may not have been top 6 but I would be fairly sure we would not be 17th either. And that's purely because we'd have had more than one striker for several weeks, regardless of how good or not he is.
    I agree on that!    I just don't agree we'd have been top 6.    Which is the ownership's objective for this season.
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    That’s definitely possible, as the matches have all been close, and a goal here and there could have made all the difference. But who knows. 
  • supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    I agree on that!    I just don't agree we'd have been top 6.    Which is the ownership's objective for this season.
    We'd be closer than we currently are for sure. And to be fair there's often teams that start slow and finish strong and teams that rocket out then fall off over the season. The top 6 right now won't necessarily be the top 6 at season's end.

That said I'm not expecting us to actually BE top 6 this season. And that absolutely would/will be a failure caused by weak management at the very top.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    agree there - I saw enough of Leaburn though in the second half the other day to know we'd have more points and be a dam sight higher if he'd been fit all season - suspect Alfie would probably also have a couple more goals
  • For me, in the context of league 1, Appleton has been dealt a full hand. He has injuries but so do all clubs. Holden wasn’t dealt a full hand this season because he had injuries and none of the new players were either here or fully fit.

In my opinion, under a good manager/head coach, this squad should be in the top 6 between now and the rest of the season. Hopefully it’s not too late to add that extra bit needed on top top catch up.

It’s certainly a very tough first assignment away at top of the table though. Maybe it’s the challenge that the players need.
  • Why would any of the new players be fully fit since the last game?   They won't have had time to get fully fit - which would include match fitness -seeing as there hasn't been any matches?

If you consider our activities on 31 January to mean that Appleton now has a full hand, again - I am going to agree to disagree with you.
  • supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    We don't have to be top 6 until May
    It's easier to be there if we're there or thereabouts all season but being 17th in September doesn't close any doors.
    Having Miles back is better obviously, miles better, we've a chance now of outscoring some of the opposition.  Sadly, Miles's return does very little for the over 50's pub team quality of the central defenders.

• supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    To be honest, when I first heard was going to be Appleton, I wasn't overly impressed, having listened to 'not top 20' pod, it has given me a bit more confidence. And where we are as a club, and what they want to achieve I think it is a pretty solid appointment. 

I just think as a fanbase we need to show a bit more patience (hard I know). It has been a tough start for the ownership so far, and hopefully Andy Scott, can do the business in his technical role.

I haven't been on here much recently, but I was reading about Charlie speaking to someone on LinkedIn and people having a pop at him.. With social media now, people are so easily reachable, and people are happy to engage! But it is no different to what it has been for years and years, only difference is, it is seen in more places such and forums, whatsapps, social media.. There has always been leaks, but you would only hear about it on clubcall, fanzines and local newspapers. 

VOTV intel would have always been from leaks and discussions Airman would have had.. So would that have made them people unprofessional then?

For me our season Starts this Saturday, fresh slate for all and time to get behind them, and see if we can turn this season around!
    Appleton's season starts Saturday.  The rest of our owners and SMT started in July.  With extensive knowledge since January.

I wish MA well.  He hasn't been dealt a full hand so he's going to have work a few miracles.
    I’m not sure how you can say MA hasn’t been dealt a full hand. He’s got a full squad with depth. Holden never had that but Appleton has. For me Appleton has to be in the best 6 league teams from this point onwards as a minimum. If we miss out on the play offs because of our poor start then I won’t blame him but from now on we should be performing at top 6 level or he has not done well enough with this squad 
    Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Taylor, Jones are not match fit
    Kirk is a waste of money
    We have a bunch of teenagers filling in

Yet he's supposed to deliver top 6 based on who we are and what the owners have been sold by CM

I don't think he's been dealt a full hand
    Players can get injured anytime. Saying he hasn't been dealt a full hand is not reflective of the squad. 

The squad is good enough on paper and if all are fit, then he has a very good hand. It's not the boards/owners fault if players are injured. Unless of course, facilities and training regimes are a factor behind this.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    To be honest, when I first heard was going to be Appleton, I wasn't overly impressed, having listened to 'not top 20' pod, it has given me a bit more confidence. And where we are as a club, and what they want to achieve I think it is a pretty solid appointment. 

I just think as a fanbase we need to show a bit more patience (hard I know). It has been a tough start for the ownership so far, and hopefully Andy Scott, can do the business in his technical role.

I haven't been on here much recently, but I was reading about Charlie speaking to someone on LinkedIn and people having a pop at him.. With social media now, people are so easily reachable, and people are happy to engage! But it is no different to what it has been for years and years, only difference is, it is seen in more places such and forums, whatsapps, social media.. There has always been leaks, but you would only hear about it on clubcall, fanzines and local newspapers. 

VOTV intel would have always been from leaks and discussions Airman would have had.. So would that have made them people unprofessional then?

For me our season Starts this Saturday, fresh slate for all and time to get behind them, and see if we can turn this season around!
    Appleton's season starts Saturday.  The rest of our owners and SMT started in July.  With extensive knowledge since January.

I wish MA well.  He hasn't been dealt a full hand so he's going to have work a few miracles.
    I’m not sure how you can say MA hasn’t been dealt a full hand. He’s got a full squad with depth. Holden never had that but Appleton has. For me Appleton has to be in the best 6 league teams from this point onwards as a minimum. If we miss out on the play offs because of our poor start then I won’t blame him but from now on we should be performing at top 6 level or he has not done well enough with this squad 
    Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Kirk is a waste of money

Yet he's supposed to deliver top 6 based on who we are and what the owners have been sold by CM

Players can get injured anytime. Saying he hasn't been dealt a full hand is not reflective of the squad. 

The squad is good enough on paper and if all are fit, then he has a very good hand. It's not the boards/owners fault if players are injured. Unless of course, facilities and training regimes are a factor behind this.
    Matches are played on grass, not paper.
    We finished mid table last year
    We currently sit in the bottom half right now
    I don't believe this squad is good enough, going on the evidence.
    In your head this squad is good enough.
    That is the only place that has happened currently.....
  • I think a lot of ours hopes this season are pinned on Abankwah coming in and being a significant upgrade on our other central defenders. It is a big risk on a young player but fingers crossed.
  • edited September 2023
    If Appleton can sort out the back between now and end of the year then he’s got plenty of credits to play with.

If not then Scott needs to assist him in the January window.

if that does not happen then he can only do with what he has to work with and if that’s not acceptable to the owners then he’s better off out of it. 
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    And your point being?
    But he is the difference between our owners making afew million player profit and nothing.

• A new back room staff member to be appointed before Saturday 
  • edited September 2023
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Methven is toy town in passing on information to supporters, why not go through official channels?  
  • NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Kirk is a waste of money

I’ll give you Camara and Fraser but every team in the league gets injuries. McGrandles won’t play even if he’s fit, Taylor and Jones have now played plenty of football so that excuse has ran out. And Kirk is 4th choice winger so that’s pretty irrelevant 

This is a top 6 squad, not many teams have our depth. We should be performing at the level of a top 6 side for the rest of the season or Appleton has failed. Top 8 finish minimum as I will forgive us missing out due to our poor start 
    I’ve never really been convinced of this. Almost every time we play another team their players look just as good as ours, with one or two exceptions perhaps. Certainly they seem to make fewer defensive blunders than we do. But perhaps a much better manager would have made the difference after Bowyer left? Impossible to know for sure. 
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Kirk is a waste of money

I’ll give you Camara and Fraser but every team in the league gets injuries. McGrandles won’t play even if he’s fit, Taylor and Jones have now played plenty of football so that excuse has ran out. And Kirk is 4th choice winger so that’s pretty irrelevant 

This is a top 6 squad, not many teams have our depth. We should be performing at the level of a top 6 side for the rest of the season or Appleton has failed. Top 8 finish minimum as I will forgive us missing out due to our poor start 
    I’ve never really been convinced of this. Almost every time we play another team their players look just as good as ours, with one or two exceptions perhaps. Certainly they seem to make fewer defensive blunders than we do. But perhaps a much better manager would have made the difference after Bowyer left? Impossible to know for sure. 
    It's true because the NTT20 podcast says so. 

But they also said MK Dons would finish 3rd in League One last year. They finished 21st and were relegated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We won’t be successful unless we have a dominant centre half. Think Morrison or Bauer from previous promotions 
    we are likely to lose at Stevenage because neither the goalie ( whether AMB or Isted) or the centre halves are brave enough or competent to compete at free kicks of corners 
    we got rid of Inniss which was fair enough but we have replaced him with Jones who is no better 
  • Top 6 currently 5 to 1 with sky bet 

• I think a lot of ours hopes this season are pinned on Abankwah coming in and being a significant upgrade on our other central defenders. It is a big risk on a young player but fingers crossed.
    I have heard he is different gravy in training, so reckon he will be. Then again so would I at the moment. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Kirk is a waste of money

I don’t think we’ve had a top 6 squad until this season, and part of that is the league being weaker than it has been previously. The defence is a problem and isn’t top 6 quality but we are strong everywhere else 
  • Been busy with work so haven't really given much thought to our new managerial coaching appointment but....I can’t believe Michael Appleton is actually leading Charlton. He seems a decent enough bloke and he gets full backing, of course. But this doesn't feel like us - perhaps that means it works but I have my doubts.

• I hope he does not get red or yellow carded on the sidelines.
    Very bad look, very bad example.
    Sometimes a florid display of losing your rag is a distraction from personal failings. I have never seen a decision changed because of showing off in the technical area, and it doesn’t show ‘the passion of the man’ it shows their stupidity.
  • NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Camara is out
    Fraser is out
    McGrandles is out
    Aneke is out
    Kirk is a waste of money

100% this is a top 6 squad and to finish outside of the playoffs would be failure (even taking into account our start)

• I cannot think of a worse start for a manager than to visit the league leaders who are led by antagonist in chief Steve Evans.I  hope we get a result,but please if it goes against us let us not get too down.I am sure all you guys going will give Appleton a good reception and show what great support this club has home and away.