Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Good post HI 
  • Like it or not Appleton is the manager/head coach and while there are legitimate concerns and valid skepticism about him and the appointment there are also non-Charlton voices saying he is a good fit.

So while he's the boss I want him to be successful because, as a Charlton fan, he needs to be successful for the club to be successful and I want the team and so the club to be successful.

Success for me isn't winning every game as that is totally unrealistic and setting him up to fail.

But two points a game on average over the remaining 40 games of the season equals, with the six points we already have, 86 points and that should be enough for the play-offs.  Is that possible?  Yes, it is.  Is it likely? I think it's a big ask as there are so many variables, such as injuries, players finding form and Appleton and his coaches finding tactics and a formation that brings out the best of the squad we have.  We shall have to see how it pans out over months, not days or weeks.

There are also very valid concerns over the business plan, the motives of the senior management team and the medium to long term commitment to the club of both the SMT and the beneficial owners.

We all want the club to get promotion and to, at least, re-establish itself in the Championship, why wouldn't we?

But that doesn't mean we should put our hands over our eyes and ears when people warn us that the plan may be built on sand and vague hopes around cutting loses, selling players and proposed but not confirmed changes in EPL/EFL funding rather than sound, long term and realistic investment with a back up war chest of cash if it doesn't work first time around.  Wanting something to happen doesn't mean we should ignore the warnings that it might not.

But for the same reason that I want Appleton to be a success, that I'm a fan, I want their plan to work much as I have my doubts of both the plan and the person who created it.

Indeed, but nobody is putting hands over eyes and ears.
    I totally respect the experience, knowledge, concerns and opinions of @AirmanBrown you and other critics of "the Project" and they may be proved 100% right.
    I, and from what I see others on here, are simply open-minded about whether the likes of Joshua Friedman and the other large investors are dumb enough to ignore legitimate needs and a sensible case for ad hoc injections of working capital (to enable them to optimise sale value of Academy players and to attempt to seal the deal for promotion) or self-interested pragmatists.
    Based on my experience, including of Friedman's hedge fund Canyon and private equity investors generally, suspect that, providing CAFC is shown to be progressing, their self-interest (aka greed) could well prompt them to be pragmatic and depart from a pro-forma budget.
    Yes, as Airman points out, they will have the choice to participate or be diluted. But, as in prior days, as you probably recall, such decisions were as much driven as much by self-interest as emotion (there were times when Directors, injecting new capital at 50p a share, actually believed the fair value of CA PLC shares should be north of £1), some will want to maintain or grow their %, others will take the view that 5% of something is better than 7% of nothing. These things can get done despite a club of investors and no prior commitment.
    I have no way of knowing how these investors will in fact behave but I remain open-minded and hopeful that, if the CAFC management team get us moving in the right direction, common sense and their greed will prevail.

Not you @PeanutsMolloy but there are those, and not just our resident troll, saying everything will be fine, that the owners are rich and so can't have made a mistake or been mislead in this instance or that we should all "just get behind the club."

In part, that is because @Airman Brown is not liked by some posters (something I think would be water off a ducks back to him)  but also because it is natural not to want to hear bad news or to have our dreams, and supporting a football club is about dreams, undermined.

Airman might be a bit of Cassandra.  They didn't teach much classical mythology in the SE London comprehensive I went to but I believe that Cassandra was fated both never to be believed but also to always be right. 

You may well be right that Friedman et al will, if required, respond positively to requests for more injections of working capital (you have forgotten far more about the world of investments and hedge funds that I've ever known).  JF and the large shareholders can certainly afford that but then again so could have Kevin Cash but when Slater and Jimenez went back to him for more money as we were about to be promoted he said "that wasn't the deal, I'm out".

Maybe that is an unfair comparison.  I, too, am open minded about the beneficial owners but being open minded means, to me at least, seeing that both good and bad outcomes are possible.
    Totally agree.
    Spoken like the Oracle of Delphi.
  • Like it or not Appleton is the manager/head coach and while there are legitimate concerns and valid skepticism about him and the appointment there are also non-Charlton voices saying he is a good fit.

So while he's the boss I want him to be successful because, as a Charlton fan, he needs to be successful for the club to be successful and I want the team and so the club to be successful.

Success for me isn't winning every game as that is totally unrealistic and setting him up to fail.

But two points a game on average over the remaining 40 games of the season equals, with the six points we already have, 86 points and that should be enough for the play-offs.  Is that possible?  Yes, it is.  Is it likely? I think it's a big ask as there are so many variables, such as injuries, players finding form and Appleton and his coaches finding tactics and a formation that brings out the best of the squad we have.  We shall have to see how it pans out over months, not days or weeks.

There are also very valid concerns over the business plan, the motives of the senior management team and the medium to long term commitment to the club of both the SMT and the beneficial owners.

We all want the club to get promotion and to, at least, re-establish itself in the Championship, why wouldn't we?

But that doesn't mean we should put our hands over our eyes and ears when people warn us that the plan may be built on sand and vague hopes around cutting loses, selling players and proposed but not confirmed changes in EPL/EFL funding rather than sound, long term and realistic investment with a back up war chest of cash if it doesn't work first time around.  Wanting something to happen doesn't mean we should ignore the warnings that it might not.

But for the same reason that I want Appleton to be a success, that I'm a fan, I want their plan to work much as I have my doubts of both the plan and the person who created it.

Indeed, but nobody is putting hands over eyes and ears.
    I totally respect the experience, knowledge, concerns and opinions of @AirmanBrown you and other critics of "the Project" and they may be proved 100% right.
    I, and from what I see others on here, are simply open-minded about whether the likes of Joshua Friedman and the other large investors are dumb enough to ignore legitimate needs and a sensible case for ad hoc injections of working capital (to enable them to optimise sale value of Academy players and to attempt to seal the deal for promotion) or self-interested pragmatists.
    Based on my experience, including of Friedman's hedge fund Canyon and private equity investors generally, suspect that, providing CAFC is shown to be progressing, their self-interest (aka greed) could well prompt them to be pragmatic and depart from a pro-forma budget.
    Yes, as Airman points out, they will have the choice to participate or be diluted. But, as in prior days, as you probably recall, such decisions were as much driven as much by self-interest as emotion (there were times when Directors, injecting new capital at 50p a share, actually believed the fair value of CA PLC shares should be north of £1), some will want to maintain or grow their %, others will take the view that 5% of something is better than 7% of nothing. These things can get done despite a club of investors and no prior commitment.
    I have no way of knowing how these investors will in fact behave but I remain open-minded and hopeful that, if the CAFC management team get us moving in the right direction, common sense and their greed will prevail.

Not you @PeanutsMolloy but there are those, and not just our resident troll, saying everything will be fine, that the owners are rich and so can't have made a mistake or been mislead in this instance or that we should all "just get behind the club."

In part, that is because @Airman Brown is not liked by some posters (something I think would be water off a ducks back to him)  but also because it is natural not to want to hear bad news or to have our dreams, and supporting a football club is about dreams, undermined.

Airman might be a bit of Cassandra.  They didn't teach much classical mythology in the SE London comprehensive I went to but I believe that Cassandra was fated both never to be believed but also to always be right. 

You may well be right that Friedman et al will, if required, respond positively to requests for more injections of working capital (you have forgotten far more about the world of investments and hedge funds that I've ever known).  JF and the large shareholders can certainly afford that but then again so could have Kevin Cash but when Slater and Jimenez went back to him for more money as we were about to be promoted he said "that wasn't the deal, I'm out".

Maybe that is an unfair comparison.  I, too, am open minded about the beneficial owners but being open minded means, to me at least, seeing that both good and bad outcomes are possible.
    Totally agree.
    Spoken like the Oracle of Delphi.
    Oi!, are you taking the Pythia?
  • More sense posted on this page than on the previous 36
  • Well Methven certainly talking Brener's language if this is to be believed.

• Yeah a lot of the feedback I got on that thread was Brener didn't like to invest more than the minimum to keep things ticking over.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    I think the latest episode of his Where's the money gone? podcast, published yesterday, shows that Charlie thinks he's cracked it by planning on the financial restructuring brought about by impending regulatory reform, including Premier League payments to EFL clubs plugging a lot of the gaps. Even in League One, provided you play the game.

That involves new rules that will bestow a competitive advantage on clubs that bring academy players through (hence the amount of academy players in our squad), allowing more budget (albeit a smaller budget) to be spent on fewer players. One would assume, key players.

Essentially, that all, he seems to be suggesting, protects our investors from the financial risks that plagued all our owners to date (bar the fake sheik and the hair plugs guy, or were just there for the free bitches and bread). 

A sensible gamble? He doesn't say it, but with more showcasing of competent academy graduates in the squad (ie the proverbial shop window), it's likely that any issues to the plan will be further offset by player sales... thus it always was for a club like ours. Another insurance policy, at least as long as the conveyor belt keeps turning. The investors seem to think they've sussed it without having to spunk huge sums (in fact, Charlie says the rules won't let them).

Yes, I gathered that’s what he thinks but it’s just a hypothesis and I still think he hasn’t a clue about the club. He just thinks it’s a set of numbers.
     Not entirely sure about that. Yes he's a bit of a flannel but he has been around English football for a while. No idea if it's true but wasn't he part of the supporters trust at Oxford? He must have slightly more than a fleeting interest of what we are about surely?
    I'm going to avoid painting him as a city boy that knows nothing about football but decided to get into it a few months ago as I think thst would be wide if the mark.
    It’s not so much that as that knowing about Oxford isn’t knowing about Charlton, or Sunderland. Clubs are not widget producers, they have very specific local contexts. I’m not seeing him as someone likely to be tuned into that. Their comms, for example, are weak and superficial. That won’t wash here.
     Maybe once upon a time ,yes.
    But things like that have been washing here for quite a few years now.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Yeah a lot of the feedback I got on that thread was Brener didn't like to invest more than the minimum to keep things ticking over.
    Still have to wonder why bother at all.
  • J BLOCK said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Addick_8 said:
    I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

The “project”, however, can only fail. It involves I understand a two-year fixed funding agreement, which will inevitably be based on over-optimistic revenue projections in order to sell it to investors. This in turn will force early player sales, which are not consistent with getting into / staying in the Championship. 

Charlie has already given the game away - the stated aim is to reduce the operating loss to £1m-£2m and then sell sufficient players to generate an overall profit. Player trading is variable year on year, but operating costs and revenue cannot deliver their bit in this business - barring a major change in the financial structure of the EFL. 

Appleton won’t be the reason it fails whatever he  does.

but If that was the case, why didn't we accept the reported 4m in offers we had for some of our players?
    Source?
    Cawley in the SLP.
    think that was from the club directly.
    Did that say £4m offers?
    No it didn't, there was no mention on how much the bids were at all, just that there was interest 
    The £4m number (£4.25m to be precise) came from Methven in a LinkedIn message posted on here the other day.

Not saying I don’t believe it because that seems like a realistic sort of number for CBT, Dobson, Leaburn to be knocked back but take with a decent pinch of salt.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/5080455/#Comment_5080455

What is it about this club and its owners posting on Linkedin. It's beyond unprofessional, it's playground stuff. 
    He can say what he wants been said many times he not involved in the day to day running of the club and as no say in major decisions made .. he might have already moved in now his job of getting the group together is done 
     He's the owner Ron. Not Cilla Black.
  • J BLOCK said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Addick_8 said:
    I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

The “project”, however, can only fail. It involves I understand a two-year fixed funding agreement, which will inevitably be based on over-optimistic revenue projections in order to sell it to investors. This in turn will force early player sales, which are not consistent with getting into / staying in the Championship. 

Charlie has already given the game away - the stated aim is to reduce the operating loss to £1m-£2m and then sell sufficient players to generate an overall profit. Player trading is variable year on year, but operating costs and revenue cannot deliver their bit in this business - barring a major change in the financial structure of the EFL. 

Appleton won’t be the reason it fails whatever he  does.

but If that was the case, why didn't we accept the reported 4m in offers we had for some of our players?
    Source?
    Cawley in the SLP.
    think that was from the club directly.
    Did that say £4m offers?
    No it didn't, there was no mention on how much the bids were at all, just that there was interest 
    The £4m number (£4.25m to be precise) came from Methven in a LinkedIn message posted on here the other day.

Not saying I don’t believe it because that seems like a realistic sort of number for CBT, Dobson, Leaburn to be knocked back but take with a decent pinch of salt.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/5080455/#Comment_5080455

What is it about this club and its owners posting on Linkedin. It's beyond unprofessional, it's playground stuff. 
    That’s true, but at least some on here will now know him on first name terms.

That's because the posters with ologies have joined the debate.  CL is an eclectic mix of the university educated with bona fide degrees and 14 year old school leavers who went up chimneys; with many others in between.

Everyone has a voice and opinions, and it's up to the CL members to be discerning to see the Wheat from the chaff.

Off to wash my face as this soot gets right up my nose.
    No idea about peanuts but I never went to University 
  • It is a great pity that the club put out this information through the local newspaper rather than direct to supporters on the club's OS
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like Pearce won't be part of the new team - of his own choice 

That's because the posters with ologies have joined the debate.  CL is an eclectic mix of the university educated with bona fide degrees and 14 year old school leavers who went up chimneys; with many others in between.

Everyone has a voice and opinions, and it's up to the CL members to be discerning to see the Wheat from the chaff.

Soot?  Is that what they're calling it these days?

And nor did Einstein, Henry.
    Though you do need to get a bloody move on if you want to transform our comprehension of the Universe.
  • thenewbie said:
    Sounds like Pearce won't be part of the new team - of his own choice 

Hopefully he returns to coaching the Academy U18s, which he has proved very successful at...
  • thenewbie said:
    Sounds like Pearce won't be part of the new team - of his own choice 
    found it really encouraging that he wanted that and that Scott is happy about it 

Though you do need to get a bloody move on if you want to transform our comprehension of the Universe.
    After sorting out Charlton that will be, relatively, easy.
  • Isn't it time we had a "Michael Appleton, 100%" banner on CL?

If he had done he might have made fewer mistakes. Just sayin’.