Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    Sounds like Pearce won't be part of the new team - of his own choice 
    I think perhaps it’s a good bet by him. Nails his colours to the Appleton mast and gets sacked along with him when it eventually happens, which inevitably it will. 
    Oh yes, I'm not remotely complaining about it. Quite the opposite.
  • I love how, over multiple threads McApples has become a Micky Grandles favourite.

Reminds me when all of our players were definitely going to Wimbledon.
  • I assume from the Cawley article that Anthony Hayes is no longer there, as it says
    "Anthony Hayes, who had been assistant first-team manager when Holden was still employed, assisted Pearce for the most recent League One fixture. Stephen (Hendo) is still here and Jason Pearce is still with Michael".
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think we have established that if we are going to get back to being a championship club (somewhere i think most agree is our natural level), we are going to have to do it the hard way - for whatever reason, we are not one of those lucky clubs who have managed to attract a ridiculously wealthy owner who is willing to throw loads at it. The selling point by methven to the funders is probably that under the last 2 ownerships at least, the club has been run by amateurs which has hampered the footballing side. The hope is that now we have Scott and Rodwell pulling the strings, the football side will be helped and the losses required to fund the club reduced at the same time by clever buying and selling - including a profit from our youth products. Now that is the traditional way of running a club and i'm fine with that. The funders will expect to lose a big chunk of what they have what they have promised for 2 years but that that gets them closer to a crack at the money shot - the prem - and the likes of luton have proved it is achievable without massive spending.  The opening games clearly didn't back that 'added value by know how approach' up so a change in the 'head coach' has been made - again, fair enough. It's all on Appleton now - if he does well, Scott does well - if he fails, with Scott's players,all of that falls back onto Scott. Will Methven and the funders then replace Scott or will they look to sell? I hope Appleton does well - he could do - i'm somewhere between thinking we now have an experienced coach with a decent squad if all are fit, to thinking we have a shit set of central defenders who lack a real leader and aerial dominance so can't see how we will keep the ball out, regardless of what we do going forwards. I'm also concerned we won't see a lot of camara, which could be pivotal. I'll be getting behind things until it becomes obvious we aren't heading in the wrong direction. We should never settle for league 1 but we also have to give people a fair chance at getting us out of the division. Club's positions in the football league are a lot more transient now - you can move up and down the divisions a lot quicker now - probably due to the short term contracts and rapid turnover in squads - so i don't feel like we are now a league 1 club - i feel like we are a club still trying to get its act together after a succession of bizarre ownerships but we will get there at some point.    
    Am I remembering wrong.....weren't you the guy that used to post pro-Roland posts at the height of the heat against him? 

You seem much more rational now if I have remembered correctly 👍 
    yes you are remembering wrong 
    i got stick because i said nothing was happening when airman said a takeover was imninent - i knew nothing was happening but people didn't want to believe it - some prat called me a beard around that time - i was never pro duchatalet - indeed i started posted again under the name doucher as a jibe at him after id stopped posting for a number of years but felt the need to express some views again when the duchatalet merry go round was at its height 
    Sz56r575777454
    F

• Am I reading it that there was a 5 hour interview that included the mystery coach taking a training session?

Sounds odd to me. 

Also are we meant to be impressed the interview requires Scott and Appleton to agree on the appointment? Hardly a unique situation / approach. 
  • Sounds like they are out of work as well if they pop in for a 5 hour training session 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like they are out of work as well if they pop in for a 5 hour training session 
    And I bet it's one of Appleton's former assistants. 
    Scott’s just window dressing it 
    So we are pretending the interview process is meaningful and in some way highly credible?

why can’t Scott just say it’s MA choice and we are happy with it?
  • If anything Methane is more dangerous than any of the previous encumbants since Roland.  He has a plan, shit or bust and it involves the family silver.  The other lot were either not very good conmen, or deluded rich men weighed down by ego.  

If I were not Charlton to the core, Roland played a blinder.  Methane, we shall see.
    Definitely. He’s doing all this with someone else’s money. He got gifted a share, which was worthless when he got it , and if he fails, it’s still worthless. The big question is when do the real owners start flexing their muscles. 
    So we are pretending the interview process is meaningful and in some way highly credible?

why can’t Scott just say it’s MA choice and we are happy with it?

While every club will work slightly differently, this is the general jist of the Technical Director / Head Coach dynamic... Scott is ultimately responsible for the hiring and firing of coaches, medical and other support staff that are there to help the players perform to the best of their ability. Perhaps in the old days a new manager gets to make those decisions without input from elsewhere but that's not modern football anymore.

It's logical that Appleton's former coaches are in the frame but it also makes sense that the search for an assistant coach shouldn't be treated any different in making sure they're the right fit.

We don't have any of the details of the intricate workings of AS/MA's early relationship but one of the many possible scenarios is that while Appleton worked with Kerslake and O'Donnell at his last two clubs, we have our own highly regarded coach already in Anthony Hayes. My understanding is that O'Donnell in particular was tasked with working with the younger players etc. What separates him / makes him better for Charlton than AH for instance?
    Exactly. Scott is the new baddie in town and whatever he says is going to be ripped apart by out fan base.

nice to read a reasoned and logical post for a change
  • Is it just me or the more I hear from Andy Scott the more he sounds like a waffling mouthpiece, he talks more and more like Methven every interview.
    The bloke talks absolute cobblers - he circumlocutes his way around trying to sound knowledgeable and intelligent- I don’t like him 
    This.
  • The season started way before this coming Saturday, and Leneghan, Scott, Rodwell, Warrick and Methven have shaped what has happened so far.
    What has happened has been mostly dreary depressing crap results. 
    The season has already got well under way, but the glimmer of hope is that by winning every home game, four of the remaining away games, and drawing the rest of the away games we can recover from when the season really started. 
    Points won in August have the same mathematical value as points won in April.
    If Appleton has been given a week to get a win at Stevenage, then the Shamocracy should’ve got their act together by the start of the season seeing as how they have been sniffing around (and threatening court action) since January. Lots of weeks.
    I understand there has been a call for patience, and realism. I think we the fans have been plenty patient, and can see the reality so we have done our bit, now it is up to the club to win.
    A win at Stevenage is simply a first step under Appleton, not a first step for the fans or for the Shamocracy, but a win gives us a bit of hope to carry us through to the Wycombe home game.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Miles Leaburn is a decent young prospect - but Erling Haaland aged 20 he is not.
    And your point being?
  • edited September 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Miles Leaburn is a decent young prospect - but Erling Haaland aged 20 he is not.
    And your point being?
    You say that having him back is huge - like we would be top 6 if he'd been around.   I simply say he's a decent young prospect and I don't think he's the difference between the new ownership being successful or not.