Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited October 2023
    We still look a little suspect but that is due to individuals not the way we are set up. That being said, I do think the way we set up is an enjoyable brand of football.

It’s a difficult balance, if we had someone like Darren Moore managing us, yes we would be winning games but it would be a tough watch! It’s all down to personal preference.
  • He's started well but so have alot of managers in the past so time will tell. He does seem very low key and just getting on with the job which I like and doesn't seem to be chasing isn't fans adulation 
    Yeah. That's reassuring.
  • He's started well but so have alot of managers in the past so time will tell. He does seem very low key and just getting on with the job which I like and doesn't seem to be chasing isn't fans adulation 
    Yeh I definitely agree with you there. As much as Holden was clearly a diamond bloke, I do feel he was trying a little too hard with the fans and maybe playing on it a little too much! Apples seems to be just getting his head down and isn’t looking for the plaudits from the fans. For example, he set himself back from the players when clapping the fans the other night, he let them take the moment in. 
  • 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I hope Lordflasheart have recovered from his sickness bug. 
    The amount of CL members giving a kicking to Michael Appleton was nearly unanimous but this was the most embarrassing but there was so many to choose from. 

A Fucking limbo dancer couldn't have got under the bar that was set when Michael Appleton was appointed Manager/head coach by the Charlton critics.
  • He has failed to win all of his games in charge.  Get rid.
  • One thing I find strange is that we’ve been on this run despite me thinking he’s got his starting line up/shape wrong each time. 

What he’s been brilliant at, is recognising that, putting it right and generally putting in superb second half performances.
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    One thing I find strange is that we’ve been on this run despite me thinking he’s got his starting line up/shape wrong each time. 

What he’s been brilliant at, is recognising that, putting it right and generally putting in superb second half performances.
    I'm starting to see it as a sort of deliberate pacing of our momentum 
  • Doubtless there will still be mistakes made, and time will tell what our new owners plan is and how achievable it is, but there’s generally an air of competence about the place right now and the performances under Appleton, so far, have been evidence of that.

It’s been a while since everyone just looks like they know what they are doing and it’s amazing how far something so simple can get you. 
  • edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    One thing I find strange is that we’ve been on this run despite me thinking he’s got his starting line up/shape wrong each time. 

I'm starting to see it as a sort of deliberate pacing of our momentum 
    It could be. But if it is deliberate or not, it's not sustainable - probability suggests sooner or later we're going to have a poor start against a team who are good enough or lucky enough to actually put a few chances away and be 2 or 3 behind by half time and the customary "improved momentum" won't be enough. And once that has gone, it will be incredibly hard to get it back, IMO.

I'm very impressed with Appleton so far, genuinely. But I still want to see us have a good game - 90 minutes worth - not games where we're better for 45 minutes, or 60 minutes, or even 30 here and 30 there. Just a game where we are consistently better than the oppo.

And to be fair I suspect that is probably what MA is trying to work towards, playing a long game. But it's still frustrating that we only turn up for periods of any given match.
  • Good win today, but tougher tests to come ie Lincoln away on Tuesday, and Bolton at home next Saturday, come through both of those games with 6 points then we are in a promotion push.
  • It’s all going according to my plan……,,.
  • All over Appleton from the off , Charlton fans haven’t a Danny La Rue 
  • Don't remember doing so well under Peeters at all
  • Mike said:
    Don't remember doing so well under Peeters at all
    Welcome to the board Mr Appleton
  • Sponsored links:

• Mike said:
    Must have mostly been draws right? I think I remember a lot of 1-1s under big bob.
  • Mike said:
    Tbh I tried really hard to forget those times too 😩
  • Mike said:
    Must have mostly been draws right? I think I remember a lot of 1-1s under big bob.
    And lgor scoring regularly to keep us in games 
  • Mike said:
    We didn't really. We only won 4 of those games and we were god awful to watch a lot of the time. It was clear early on that we were totally reliant on Vetokele scoring and when he got injured we had nothing else. We relied on a fair few late goals and a nicking of such an undeserved win against Norwich that I honestly still feel a bit guilty about to this day. I think by the time Peeters was sacked he'd only lost 6 games but he'd also only won 2 more after our first loss and started to alienate a lot of the players because he was an absolute shit. It always felt like it wasn't going to work out with him as the season went on
  • Mike said:
    We didn't really. We only won 4 of those games and we were god awful to watch a lot of the time. It was clear early on that we were totally reliant on Vetokele scoring and when he got injured we had nothing else. We relied on a fair few late goals and a nicking of such an undeserved win against Norwich that I honestly still feel a bit guilty about to this day. I think by the time Peeters was sacked he'd only lost 6 games but he'd also only won 2 more after our first loss and started to alienate a lot of the players because he was an absolute shit. It always felt like it wasn't going to work out with him as the season went on
    That win against Norwich unjustifiably set back the Jackson's Legs Have Gone narrative back at least half a year ffs 
  • Peeters: DWWDDWDDDWDL

Jackson: W-WWDWWDL

Appleton: DWDWDW
  • So a draw on Tuesday then 😃
  • RC_CAFC said:

But he still starts each game with a bit of a strange line up / formation ??
  • RC_CAFC said:

But he still starts each game with a bit of a strange line up / formation ??
    He’s slowly getting there. We’re not playing May up front on his own anymore. I think Tuesday will surely see Campbell start on the right and then we are pretty much there 

Our bench has got to be up there as one of the strongest in the league so I think we will keep on finishing games strong with players like Asiimwe, Fraser, Camara, Tedic and Aneke to bring on 
  • ross1 said:
    So a draw on Tuesday then 😃
    No, it's just that Appleton is a massive closet Dorking Wanderers fan