Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• I cannot think of a worse start for a manager than to visit the league leaders who are led by antagonist in chief Steve Evans.I  hope we get a result,but please if it goes against us let us not get too down.I am sure all you guys going will give Appleton a good reception and show what great support this club has home and away.
    Appleton will be able to deal with Evans. They  have had run ins before, so I don’t think he will get under Appletons skin. 
  • I hope Appleton is allowed to bring in a fitness and conditioning coach.
    Some of our players are blowing out their Arse after about 70 minutes and I'm sure that plays a part in the amount of late goals we concede. 
    It's definitely something that needs addressing. 
    Agreed. That department and the medical side have been dire the last few years. Pretty sure we’ve not attempted to make changes to the staff either.
  • I assume Appleton took the job in order to win.
    If it is only for the money and results are no biggie then he is the wrong choice.
    Win tomorrow and it is a good start.
    Lose tomorrow and for some fans it is also acceptable in the eyes of those who think Appleton should be allowed any period of grace.
    Please win Appleton, that’s why you’re here in my opinion.
  • Thought we spoke well and was realistic about the assessment of the squad in his pre match presser, all about how it translates into reality tomorrow. Interesting that he appears to back himself highly in the loan market 
  • edited September 2023
    Do we know who the coach, in the dugout Saturday, mentioned in his press interview will be ?
  • barstool said:
    Do we know who the coach, in the dugout Saturday, mentioned in his press interview will be ?

Can't say any more!!...😉
  • bromdog said:
    I hope Appleton is allowed to bring in a fitness and conditioning coach.
    Some of our players are blowing out their Arse after about 70 minutes and I'm sure that plays a part in the amount of late goals we concede. 
    Agreed. That department and the medical side have been dire the last few years. Pretty sure we’ve not attempted to make changes to the staff either

AS said yesterday on Radio London that they are currently trying to recruit a Director of performance, ie, fitness and conditioning 
  • Valley11 said:
    Been busy with work so haven't really given much thought to our new managerial coaching appointment but....I can’t believe Michael Appleton is actually leading Charlton. He seems a decent enough bloke and he gets full backing, of course. But this doesn't feel like us - perhaps that means it works but I have my doubts.

Why not he leading what happens on the pitch and what players he wants like all managers / head coaches 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Been busy with work so haven't really given much thought to our new managerial coaching appointment but....I can’t believe Michael Appleton is actually leading Charlton. He seems a decent enough bloke and he gets full backing, of course. But this doesn't feel like us - perhaps that means it works but I have my doubts.

Why not he leading what happens on the pitch and what players he wants like all managers / head coaches 
    Why does your post read like an anagram,...maybe a comma now and again might help,...just saying.
  • Valley11 said:

Why does your post read like an anagram,...maybe a comma now and again might help,...just saying.

;)  

• I hope Appleton is allowed to bring in a fitness and conditioning coach.
    I was blowing out of my bum 5 minutes after getting up this morning, don't be so hard on the players mate.
  • I don't get why Appleton was bigging himself up how good he is at getting in exceptional loan players
    Surely he realised we've got the permitted usable 5 already?
    He's blessed/lumbered with the squad as is until 1 January
    Same goes for there being too many youngsters in the squad
    That's cos they're the best we have available
    FFS the shirk has had appreciable game time so far and there can be no starker indication of the paucity of the squad than that
    The back line has been so desperate to date that I wouldn't have been remotely surprised if Jason Pearce had got himself registered to make up the numbers
    You'd think Appleton's been in the game long enough to know that if there's not much worth saying, then saying not much is fine and preferable to the bleeding obvious (youngsters in the squad) and the flaming irrelevant (loans)
    Losing narrowly to Evans's league leaders would probably be no disgrace
    We all know what to expect at the Lamex, we know that defensive competence will be required and few if any of the Charlton lineups to date have demonstrated much, if any.
    "new manager bounce" tomorrow need only be defensive solidity and an absence of the crass juvenile dumwittery to which we've been subjected so far

• Still unable to generate any emotion at all towards Appleton other than mild surprise that he's actually Charlton manager every time I'm reminded of the fact. All the best to him but I just can't really be arsed with it
    That’s how I felt at first, but the more I hear about him the more I think he might do ok. Just maybe not on Saturday. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    I think a lot of ours hopes this season are pinned on Abankwah coming in and being a significant upgrade on our other central defenders. It is a big risk on a young player but fingers crossed.
    I have heard he is different gravy in training, so reckon he will be. Then again so would I at the moment. 

I can't really see how Abankwah is different gravy in training as he has been away with Ireland U21'S most of the time 🤔

The CB's are an issue at the moment with question marks over all of them. I/we assumed Hector was going to be the rock and the rest of the places up for grabs whether we play 3 or 2 CB's, depending on formations.
  • bromdog said:
    I hope Appleton is allowed to bring in a fitness and conditioning coach.
    Agreed. That department and the medical side have been dire the last few years. Pretty sure we’ve not attempted to make changes to the staff either.
    On that, Methven seems to agree. If we don't see material improvements before Christmas, I'll start an effort to hold him to account. It's all on video...
  • IAgree said:
    To summarise the thread,

Unless we win by 5 goals, with a clean sheet, all the youngsters play like seasoned professionals, Appleton does a truly athletic tunnel jump (with a triple salchow), we get more chips, Roland expands the valley to 42k with standing, sells it to CAST for a £1 and Charlie stops wearing silly trousers…….It’s curtains for the new owner, Appleton and his coaching team.

Anyone who doesn’t believe this is a paid up member of the unambitious  inferior plastic fan brigade!
    You forgot Micky Apples should be sacked of we don't win on Saturday or all of the next 8 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    I think a lot of ours hopes this season are pinned on Abankwah coming in and being a significant upgrade on our other central defenders. It is a big risk on a young player but fingers crossed.
    I have heard he is different gravy in training, so reckon he will be. Then again so would I at the moment. 

I can't really see how Abankwah is different gravy in training as he has been away with Ireland U21'S most of the time 🤔

The CB's are an issue at the moment with question marks over all of them. I/we assumed Hector was going to be the rock and the rest of the places up for grabs whether we play 3 or 2 CB's, depending on formations.
    Innis was the rock, but he made mistakes. We now don’t have a rick, and they make even more mistakes. 
  • As Hector and the departed Innis aren't the granite at the back we are stuck between a rock and a hard place to replace 🙄
  • edited September 2023
    Still unable to generate any emotion at all towards Appleton other than mild surprise that he's actually Charlton manager every time I'm reminded of the fact. All the best to him but I just can't really be arsed with it

It isn't Appleton's fault and I will give him every chance but I am increasingly feeling less and less engaged by the cycle of ineptitude which is our club. I'm normally a glass half full person but don't have any optimism left in me.
  • edited September 2023
  • Still unable to generate any emotion at all towards Appleton other than mild surprise that he's actually Charlton manager every time I'm reminded of the fact. All the best to him but I just can't really be arsed with it

It isn't Appleton's fault and I will give him every chance but I am increasingly feeling less and less engaged by the cycle of ineptitude which is our club. I'm normally a glass half full person but don't have any optimism left in me.
    It's a curse I tell ya!

Never ever believed in all that shit but how do you explain it?  It does not matter who comes in, player, coach, owner, conman or deluded air guitarist... WE ARE perpetually FUCKED!

It's a curse I tell ya!
  • The attacking stats are much better, but then we have a much better squad than we had under Holden.

It's the defensive improvement which is perhaps more down to him, with Hector looking like he's bothered again.

Do you feel differently now Mutts? I was where you were but have to say they've pulled me back in...