Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Are we sure of the operating loss angle? Could the £1-2m loss be a projection of how they anticipate to manage after player trading?  
    No, he is specifically quoted in the Telegraph as saying profit after player trading. 
  • Are we sure of the operating loss angle? Could the £1-2m loss be a projection of how they anticipate to manage after player trading?  
    No, he is specifically quoted in the Telegraph as saying profit after player trading. 
    Did he say when?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Are we sure of the operating loss angle? Could the £1-2m loss be a projection of how they anticipate to manage after player trading?  
    Did he say when?
    In the “medium term”. “You will do that if you have any kind of competence at all”.

• Evan's is showing up Appleton there. Definitely never skip leg day.
  • 'all of this depends on promotion' is the whilst the journalist line, implicit in this 
  • Yeah, I interpret that as being the aim as once at Championship level
  • So it seems that our immediate future is based on a projection of performance of every aspect of the club to a level that is at best highly unlikely. Time limited to achieve and no known plan for what happens should in the likely event “the plan” fails. Appleton has a job on his hands. I think we’re going to need a bigger boat. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Major said:
    No one here knows anything. Don't care how ITK the claims are, nor the opinions from so called experts.
    Wait and see,
    Bitch then if you have to.
    Exactly - it’s airman’s guess nothing more 
    You think so?
    In my experience he doesn’t tend to post stuff that isn’t credibly sourced. 
    How could it not be a guess ? Who’s told him what ? He said a takeover was imminent once and it happened about 18 months later - my view / and it can only be a view - is that if things are going in the right direction, there will be backing - could be completely wrong of course 
    Well I said the next two weeks will be crucial once, and it didn’t happen at all.
    🙂
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I getting that, from this moment on, no matter what we do, HMS Piss the League will founder? 🙄
  • Have Appleton's new assistants been at Sparrows Lane this week? 
    I for one will not believe it until it's mentioned in the sun 😬😬😬
    This is the issue in my eyes. Step daughter plays u10 football and for a squad of 8, they have a manager and two assistants.

charlton are a professional outfit with a manager, assistant and a goalkeeping coach for a squad of 20 +
  • There is no new 'news' in this however is there?

Fixed funding for 2 years presumably just means we have a set budget agreed with the investors for the next 2 seasons and in which they aim for promotion (however unlikely that may be without better recruitment).

Presumably they have dented the budget by changing Holden for Appleton and need to absorb that some how.

Fixed funding for 2 years presumably just means we have a set budget agreed with the investors for the next 2 seasons and in which they aim for promotion (however unlikely that may be without better recruitment).

Presumably they have dented the budget by changing Holden for Appleton and need to absorb that some how.
    Trivial.

Trivial.
    If the £150k suggested compensation costs is indeed trivial that might imply there are further funds available to the squad then in January?
  • CB in Jan pls. 
  • Sponsored links:

Trivial.
    If the £150k suggested compensation costs is indeed trivial that might imply there are further funds available to the squad then in January?
    If internet searches of our major shareholders by others on here, and on the other site re their wealth, and CM’s own statements to that fact, then I would guess that the 2 year funding plan is the minimum they would have had to commit to, to be part of the consortium.
    If, and it’s a big if, we are in the shake up coming into January, and need that extra transfer spend to push on, I would hope that these investors could and will provide it, but until then we won’t find out will we, so it’s all assumptions until then.
  • swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
    Show them the meme and then ask them again 😉

My offering,

Michael Appleton, kum ba yah!
    Michael Appleton, Kum ba yah!
    Michael Appleton, Kum ba yah!
    Oh, Michael Ap-ple-ton!

It's been used before I think.

Kenny Achampong fitted in nicely 😉
  • DA9 said:
    There is no new 'news' in this however is there?

Trivial.
    If internet searches of our major shareholders by others on here, and on the other site re their wealth, and CM’s own statements to that fact, then I would guess that the 2 year funding plan is the minimum they would have had to commit to, to be part of the consortium.
    If, and it’s a big if, we are in the shake up coming into January, and need that extra transfer spend to push on, I would hope that these investors could and will provide it, but until then we won’t find out will we, so it’s all assumptions until then.
    I don’t think it works like that. There is a set amount of money and probably scope for spending in January - but then you need to sell to get back within the fixed budget.

For example, it seems likely they will sell Leaburn in January but if we look set to be in the mix they may hold off until the end of the season. Either way, they will need to sell to offset part of the operating loss because there is no recourse to the funders in the agreement.

If more funding is needed six months in that just reflects badly on Methven and co. It’s not about league position.
    Selling Leaburn in January (with a loan back) would be a good decision. He’s not going to sign a new contract, so if we can sell him in January we will still get a good fee (especially as January is often inflated transfer fees) and then still hopefully keep him ourselves till the end of the season. 
  • NabySarr said:
    DA9 said:
    There is no new 'news' in this however is there?

Trivial.
    I don’t think it works like that. There is a set amount of money and probably scope for spending in January - but then you need to sell to get back within the fixed budget.

For example, it seems likely they will sell Leaburn in January but if we look set to be in the mix they may hold off until the end of the season. Either way, they will need to sell to offset part of the operating loss because there is no recourse to the funders in the agreement.

If more funding is needed six months in that just reflects badly on Methven and co. It’s not about league position.
    Selling Leaburn in January (with a loan back) would be a good decision. He’s not going to sign a new contract, so if we can sell him in January we will still get a good fee (especially as January is often inflated transfer fees) and then still hopefully keep him ourselves till the end of the season. 
    His contract expires in July 2025. It's not imminent. 
    This is the issue in my eyes. Step daughter plays u10 football and for a squad of 8, they have a manager and two assistants.

charlton are a professional outfit with a manager, assistant and a goalkeeping coach for a squad of 20 +
    Not at the moment, Senda and Shimell left with Holden. So only Hayes was kept on.
  • edited September 2023
    I could not imagine us keeping Leaburn after this season anyway tbh. Not unless we go up.
  • I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

The “project”, however, can only fail. It involves I understand a two-year fixed funding agreement, which will inevitably be based on over-optimistic revenue projections in order to sell it to investors. This in turn will force early player sales, which are not consistent with getting into / staying in the Championship. 

Charlie has already given the game away - the stated aim is to reduce the operating loss to £1m-£2m and then sell sufficient players to generate an overall profit. Player trading is variable year on year, but operating costs and revenue cannot deliver their bit in this business - barring a major change in the financial structure of the EFL. 

Appleton won’t be the reason it fails whatever he  does.

but If that was the case, why didn't we accept the reported 4m in offers we had for some of our players?