Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• He's a fan of old Man U
    He loves a big tattoo
    Micky Apples
    whoh oh oh
    Mickey Apples
    Whoh oh oh

“We all agree Cahones said you’re a w***** 
  • I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

The “project”, however, can only fail. It involves I understand a two-year fixed funding agreement, which will inevitably be based on over-optimistic revenue projections in order to sell it to investors. This in turn will force early player sales, which are not consistent with getting into / staying in the Championship. 

Charlie has already given the game away - the stated aim is to reduce the operating loss to £1m-£2m and then sell sufficient players to generate an overall profit. Player trading is variable year on year, but operating costs and revenue cannot deliver their bit in this business - barring a major change in the financial structure of the EFL. 

Appleton won’t be the reason it fails whatever he  does.

Two year fixed funding?
    Oh shit.....
  • thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/ 

Gives an idea on what Charlton supporters might expect. 
    Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

I don't get what Pep does to be labelled a genius. He has pretty much worked with the worlds top players everywhere at every club he has been at.

Ian Holloway and Harry Redknapp revealed the same insight into what makes a good manager - good players. Simple.
  • supaclive said:
    I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

The “project”, however, can only fail. It involves I understand a two-year fixed funding agreement, which will inevitably be based on over-optimistic revenue projections in order to sell it to investors. This in turn will force early player sales, which are not consistent with getting into / staying in the Championship. 

Charlie has already given the game away - the stated aim is to reduce the operating loss to £1m-£2m and then sell sufficient players to generate an overall profit. Player trading is variable year on year, but operating costs and revenue cannot deliver their bit in this business - barring a major change in the financial structure of the EFL. 

Two year fixed funding?
    Oh shit.....
    Inevitable, because how could you get this large disparate group of owners to agree additional investment on an ad-hoc basis?
    What happens to their shares after the 2 years when we are still in league one and losing money heavily?? Are they allowed to sell up/walk away?
  • Maybe a fire sale, close the club down, and accept ten cents on the dollar.
    After wages, fees and consultancy fees are settled clearly.
    Salmon trousers don't buy themselves.
  • Apple-ton wooaah
    Apple-ton woooaaah
    He used to be a meme
    But now he runs the team
    cant stop laughing !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    supaclive said:
    I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

Two year fixed funding?
    Oh shit.....
    Inevitable, because how could you get this large disparate group of owners to agree additional investment on an ad-hoc basis?
    After CA Plc floated on AIM in 1997, we had c 1000 shareholders, including 6 or so Directors each with 5% or more of the shares (Murray obviously by far the largest), 10+ City investors and 900+ fans (most of whom having invested in the original share issue to fans in 1994).
    We regularly needed ad hoc injections of cash every year until we got promotion in 1998 and this was supplied each time without prior commitment by some but not all of the Directors (different combo and amounts each time) and occasionally by outside investors buying newly created shares.
    Those existing investors (including all 900 or so small shareholders, whom you may recall got very irate at never being given the opportunity) that didn’t or couldn’t participate got diluted.
    As it happens, even after we were promoted to the Prem, we raised more capital from time to time by issuing more new shares when wealthy fans asked to get involved (Chappell et al).
    Again, existing large shareholders had the opportunity to buy new shares alongside them each time or not and get diluted. Their choice each time.
    I appreciate we’re not dealing with fans as owners and I have no knowledge as to whether it is their intention to do so or not (although it would be bizarre IMHO for the particular individuals with the largest holdings to rule it out when they make follow on investments to other private equity investee companies all the time) but it is perfectly possible for one or more of the club of these larger investors to inject more capital and/or even to bring in new large investors on an ad hoc basis.
    It will no doubt critically depend on whether CAFC is progressing or not.
    Appleton’s success in at least making promotion a credible goal this season or next is indeed crucial.

• edited September 2023
    Carter said:

Hard game to start, Stevenage, Steve Evans and a side that love a set piece. 

Just wanted to highlight this comment:

I remember going to Rotherham when the wee chubby man was manager. Two things that stand out were Igor being kicked by both CB's (the start of his injury) and because Zonal marking was taking over from man marking, getting his big central striker to attack the box from wider so the nearest zonal marker was Chris Solly not a Cafc CB. 

Both Steve Evans and Michael Appleton have been figures of fun to the Charlton fan/critic base.

I agree it's a tough start at Stevenage for MA against a manager who makes the most of the teams he inherits.

I believe at 60 Evans has calmed down because his record with abuse at officials and members of staff of opponents was as long as your arm as well as a suspended prison sentence for some creative accounting appertaining to contracts.
  • I am pretty indifferent to Appleton - which will have no bearing on whether he succeeds or not. He’s here; he’ll either win games or he won’t. 

Thanks for sharing.

Bad read but unfortunately sounds exactly like what I am expecting.

We all need to start considering playing the lottery 
  • Major said:
    No one here knows anything. Don't care how ITK the claims are, nor the opinions from so called experts.
    Wait and see,
    Bitch then if you have to.
    I can see with my own eyes 
    we’ve been waiting and seeing a lot of shit in recent years 
    we’re not going up this season .
    I believe we will push on towards the play offs but this squad needs genuine investment come January to have a chance .
    Next season will be season 11 in 16 in this division. You need miracles and runs of luck got get out of here cheaply .

• DOUCHER said:
    Major said:
    No one here knows anything. Don't care how ITK the claims are, nor the opinions from so called experts.
    Wait and see,
    Exactly - it’s airman’s guess nothing more 
    Yep he prophesied they’d try and do it cheap and everyone said wait till the windows done,  too early to say , I suppose they meant January 2025s window .

• Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Major said:
    Wait and see,
    Exactly - it’s airman’s guess nothing more 
    You think so?
    In my experience he doesn’t tend to post stuff that isn’t credibly sourced. 
    How could it not be a guess ? Who’s told him what ? He said a takeover was imminent once and it happened about 18 months later - my view / and it can only be a view - is that if things are going in the right direction, there will be backing - could be completely wrong of course 
  • Are we sure of the operating loss angle? Could the £1-2m loss be a projection of how they anticipate to manage after player trading?  
  • Where will the funding for the losses come from?
  • The Joe Gomez sell on.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Billyboy said:
    If appleton chins Evans he will be an instant hero imo 😉
    by his own admission he almost did when he managed Lincoln! 
    Not many like Evans, but he does get results!