Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Uboat said:
    As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

Michael Appletons Red and White Army doesn’t work - the iteration is out as it’s too long.

Maybe Michael A’s Red and White Army (like we did we Alan C’s).

My OCD will be itching if we try and cram 5 syllables in.
    Micky Apple’s Red and White Army.

That is a decent shout Large and rolls off the tongue.
    Pleased you have got to the core of the problem and it's a really good sound bite.

Micky Apple's* if he does well could turn our end of season POTY into a Gala because he will squeeze until the pips squeak to get victories. MA doesn't want a team of Granny Smith's but to play a style of football that is Golden. Delicious times ahead and perhaps we didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel to find Micky Apple's.

* can I nominate a promote for the first poster who said Micky Apples on CL.
    AFKA please search 👏
    MOD mag have been saying it since day 1. 
    When I first saw it in a tweet I just assumed that ‘Micky Apples’ was probably some You tuber / social media influencer lol 
  • Appletons got us playing the way that we should oh yeah ? 
    Or was it a dream !
  • Talal said:
    Covered End seem to sign, incorrectly IMHO "red army" rather than "red n white army" these days.

Bloody kids, in my day you could have a night out for 10 bob and it was safe to leave your door unlocked all night (nurse, he's off again) 
    Impressive if they sign it though. 
    We're an inclusive club, you know : - )
  • Has MA brought his own assistances in?
  • I won't, because I don't have one.
  • edited September 2023

Time for some cheerleaders

https://youtu.be/0aqLwHP4y6Q

• Sponsored links:

• As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

Michael Appletons Red and White Army doesn’t work - the iteration is out as it’s too long.

Maybe Michael A’s Red and White Army (like we did we Alan C’s).

My OCD will be itching if we try and cram 5 syllables in.
    Micky Apple’s Red and White Army.
    Granny Smiths Red & White Army
  • He's a fan of old Man U
    He loves a big tattoo
    Micky Apples
    whoh oh oh
    Mickey Apples
    Whoh oh oh

• It seems like he a peels to some, but is rotten to the core for others.

I just hope he's good - because as we were all told at school (in 1967) - a rotten apple spoils the barrel.

(Apples were kept in barrels in 1874).

... OK piqued your interest eh?

Four pecks make up a bushel (you can fit, what, maybe twelve to fifteen medium apples in half a peck?). So eight of those small bags would make up a bushel of apples. In a barrel there are about three and a quarter bushels. A barrel is about twenty-five of the small bags of apples, probably around three hundred medium to large-sized apples.

Nurse!

• DOUCHER said:
    I think we have established that if we are going to get back to being a championship club (somewhere i think most agree is our natural level), we are going to have to do it the hard way - for whatever reason, we are not one of those lucky clubs who have managed to attract a ridiculously wealthy owner who is willing to throw loads at it. The selling point by methven to the funders is probably that under the last 2 ownerships at least, the club has been run by amateurs which has hampered the footballing side. The hope is that now we have Scott and Rodwell pulling the strings, the football side will be helped and the losses required to fund the club reduced at the same time by clever buying and selling - including a profit from our youth products. Now that is the traditional way of running a club and i'm fine with that. The funders will expect to lose a big chunk of what they have what they have promised for 2 years but that that gets them closer to a crack at the money shot - the prem - and the likes of luton have proved it is achievable without massive spending.  The opening games clearly didn't back that 'added value by know how approach' up so a change in the 'head coach' has been made - again, fair enough. It's all on Appleton now - if he does well, Scott does well - if he fails, with Scott's players,all of that falls back onto Scott. Will Methven and the funders then replace Scott or will they look to sell? I hope Appleton does well - he could do - i'm somewhere between thinking we now have an experienced coach with a decent squad if all are fit, to thinking we have a shit set of central defenders who lack a real leader and aerial dominance so can't see how we will keep the ball out, regardless of what we do going forwards. I'm also concerned we won't see a lot of camara, which could be pivotal. I'll be getting behind things until it becomes obvious we aren't heading in the wrong direction. We should never settle for league 1 but we also have to give people a fair chance at getting us out of the division. Club's positions in the football league are a lot more transient now - you can move up and down the divisions a lot quicker now - probably due to the short term contracts and rapid turnover in squads - so i don't feel like we are now a league 1 club - i feel like we are a club still trying to get its act together after a succession of bizarre ownerships but we will get there at some point.    
    Am I remembering wrong.....weren't you the guy that used to post pro-Roland posts at the height of the heat against him? 

You seem much more rational now if I have remembered correctly 👍 
  • fenaddick said:
    Interesting listen

Still not totally convinced that MA is the man but Oxford man makes a strong but balanced case for him.
  • Caught up on the last few pages and my summary is simple.......we have a very strange fan base
    Yeh, I used to think supporters of other teams were just being unfair!
  • Has he/we brought any coaches in yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Has MA brought his own assistances in?
    To what tune?

To the tune of you're going home in a st John's ambulance 
  • Croydon said:
    Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
    Had this today with a bloke I work with. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .J BLOCK said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Very good read
    interesting comments re Edun and McGrandles

If the bloke can get a team into the playoffs with McGrandles in midfield he must be some sort of miracle worker
    In all fairness to McGrandles I still don’t think we have seen enough of him to judge.He was good at Lincoln and did well on loan to Cambridge
    He might yet suprise us all
    A lot of Lifers thought Dobbo a dud early on.
    Because he was
    Bit harsh. Gave a goal away when he and … thingy… collided. 
    Was ok-ish apart from that, I thought. But he improved and looks to have improved again in the first two or three games this season. 
    This is the issue with a lot of fans, not just ours. If you sign a new player, get a new manager or use an academy player and they are not immediately outstanding, they’re crap. And it takes ages to get over that initial opinion. 

This is the same fan base that demands stability 
    The original comment was that he was 'a dud early on'. No one who watched him in the opening games can disagree with that. 
    I said early on that I thought he was a decent player. Not claiming that make me a footballing genious though
  • It worked OK as Alan Curbishley's Red & White Army - and Michael Appleton has same number of syllables.

Doesn't fit the Allez, Allez, Allez mind you. 
    If it's Allez, it's gotta be Micky Pomme, surely
  • mendonca said:
    Has he/we brought any coaches in yet?
    Absolutely no idea, but this lot could do a job, takes park the bus to another level…..

• Totally ruins Alez alez song 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Totally ruins Alez alez song 
    You mean it could get worse? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I think we have established that if we are going to get back to being a championship club (somewhere i think most agree is our natural level), we are going to have to do it the hard way - for whatever reason, we are not one of those lucky clubs who have managed to attract a ridiculously wealthy owner who is willing to throw loads at it. The selling point by methven to the funders is probably that under the last 2 ownerships at least, the club has been run by amateurs which has hampered the footballing side. The hope is that now we have Scott and Rodwell pulling the strings, the football side will be helped and the losses required to fund the club reduced at the same time by clever buying and selling - including a profit from our youth products. Now that is the traditional way of running a club and i'm fine with that. The funders will expect to lose a big chunk of what they have what they have promised for 2 years but that that gets them closer to a crack at the money shot - the prem - and the likes of luton have proved it is achievable without massive spending.  The opening games clearly didn't back that 'added value by know how approach' up so a change in the 'head coach' has been made - again, fair enough. It's all on Appleton now - if he does well, Scott does well - if he fails, with Scott's players,all of that falls back onto Scott. Will Methven and the funders then replace Scott or will they look to sell? I hope Appleton does well - he could do - i'm somewhere between thinking we now have an experienced coach with a decent squad if all are fit, to thinking we have a shit set of central defenders who lack a real leader and aerial dominance so can't see how we will keep the ball out, regardless of what we do going forwards. I'm also concerned we won't see a lot of camara, which could be pivotal. I'll be getting behind things until it becomes obvious we aren't heading in the wrong direction. We should never settle for league 1 but we also have to give people a fair chance at getting us out of the division. Club's positions in the football league are a lot more transient now - you can move up and down the divisions a lot quicker now - probably due to the short term contracts and rapid turnover in squads - so i don't feel like we are now a league 1 club - i feel like we are a club still trying to get its act together after a succession of bizarre ownerships but we will get there at some point.    
    Am I remembering wrong.....weren't you the guy that used to post pro-Roland posts at the height of the heat against him? 

yes you are remembering wrong 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

yes you are remembering wrong 
    i got stick because i said nothing was happening when airman said a takeover was imninent - i knew nothing was happening but people didn't want to believe it - some prat called me a beard around that time - i was never pro duchatalet - indeed i started posted again under the name doucher as a jibe at him after id stopped posting for a number of years but felt the need to express some views again when the duchatalet merry go round was at its height