Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited September 2023
    My thoughts on Appledon taking the hot seat, fair warning, I am not in favour and if you're looking for a positive video this won't be it.  :#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXdlTyDkyk
    Nice one, can’t really disagree with a lot that was said, you’re just saying it how you see it.

Noticed the bottle of Jim Beam at the beginning, fear it may have taken a hammering by the time you got to the end of the podcast!
  • Chunes said:
    With all the fuss about how good he is with young players, the cynic in me says he’s been brought in to develop and sell our youth and little else. 
    I also don't understand the 'good with young players' perception.

I think every manager can say they're good at bringing youth through? 

They are trained in the youth system, they get recommended to the first team, if they do well enough they make it, if they don't they stay there. 

Every professional football club produces youth at every level so you could argue almost every coach promotes younger players.

Would be pretty daft to not start a player if he was good at football, regardless of age.

Sound bite stuff, just like 'the project' and 'experience in this league'.
    There are some managers who are much less willing to give young players a chance, though. 
    Of course there will be managers less inclined to start younger players as they may be more old school in their ways, but I doubt there's a club manager (or head coach) across the 92 who would ignore a player at the club just because they're young. I just think it's a bit of a cliché is all
    Old school in there ways?  Playing young players isn't some recent phenomenon.

Ironically the best way to encourage a manager to play youngsters is not not sack them every six months.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    With all the fuss about how good he is with young players, the cynic in me says he’s been brought in to develop and sell our youth and little else. 

They are trained in the youth system, they get recommended to the first team, if they do well enough they make it, if they don't they stay there. 

Every professional football club produces youth at every level so you could argue almost every coach promotes younger players.

Would be pretty daft to not start a player if he was good at football, regardless of age.

There are some managers who are much less willing to give young players a chance, though. 
    Of course there will be managers less inclined to start younger players as they may be more old school in their ways, but I doubt there's a club manager (or head coach) across the 92 who would ignore a player at the club just because they're young. I just think it's a bit of a cliché is all

Ironically the best way to encourage a manager to play youngsters is not not sack them every six months.
    I didn't say it was, just that there are older types of managers who opt for experienced/journeyed players. 

The other way is to avoid spending money on experienced players in the transfer window, so they balanced it out tbf 
  • Jac_52 said:
    Very good read
    interesting comments re Edun and McGrandles

If the bloke can get a team into the playoffs with McGrandles in midfield he must be some sort of miracle worker
    In all fairness to McGrandles I still don’t think we have seen enough of him to judge.He was good at Lincoln and did well on loan to Cambridge
    He might yet suprise us all
    A lot of Lifers thought Dobbo a dud early on.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I didn't say it was, just that there are older types of managers who opt for experienced/journeyed players. 

The other way is to avoid spending money on experienced players in the transfer window, so they balanced it out tbf 
    I really don't know what you actually mean about "older types" of managers.

• IAgree said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    And to be champions usually requires between 94 and 100 points.
    About another 88 points to win.
    Starting with the vital three points away at Stevenage next Saturday.

I admire your tenacity Seth
    I am sick of this fourth successive season watching our club playing at this level. I suspect everybody else is.

The clutter of our club is complex and embarrassing and depressing, so I have decided it would be good to focus on what the latest regime delivers, and I want them to deliver automatic promotion.

I am sneered at for that by some, like when I say we should win the next eight games in a row. But those games won would create a platform for automatic promotion before it is simply too late once again.

At the moment the regime is miles away from getting us automatic promotion, for that reason what they have done so far deserves scrutiny and where appropriate criticism. 

Additionally when they go on and on about young player development it suggests they have not been developing fine already, but they have haven’t they? The young player manoeuvre also acts as a way of distracting fans from the real prize, which I repeat is automatic promotion.

This lot decided for some mysterious and suspicious reason to acquire Charlton Athletic Football Club. Billionaires no less so we are led to believe, so my apparent tenacity is to see if our experts backed by billions can deliver the promotion we all want.

Two league wins and four defeats so far suggests to me they are failing. A win at Stevenage would represent one step on the road to success.
    So we are all sick of this league, we all want promotion, we all have concerns about the over reliance on youth and there’s no mystery about the new regime, who have no doubt been sold a very rosey picture of how easy it is to get promoted by Charlie. I don’t think anyone has sneered at you (disagreeing isn’t sneering) and advocating that we should give a new manager, any new manager, one game to turn the team is extreme. To suggest winning 8 on the trot is a reasonable or realistic target is equally extreme.

I strongly suspect that what you really want is an argument attention.

• Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/ 

Gives an idea on what Charlton supporters might expect. 
    Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

I don't get what Pep does to be labelled a genius. He has pretty much worked with the worlds top players everywhere at every club he has been at.

The founding father of tiki taka, or at least the man who honed it into a successful style of play. His approach to football has changed the modern game and are copied at nearly all levels. He's still adapting and changing every season to try and stay ahead. 

IMO he's changed the English game immeasurably and he's why we've got teams at L2-level and below playing possession-based football.
    Yes, that's what I thought.  And then I bumped into a Leeds Vs Southampton game from March 1972. The Leeds press was a real eye-opener as was their swift accurate passing and movement. And then what next? Norman Hunter on the left wing to put in a perfect cross for the striker to head home. Except it wasn't Mick Jones or Alan Clarke but Jack Charlton.  Perhaps Pep got the ideas from Don Revie?

https://youtu.be/22u28SjVXPY
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/ 

Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

I don't get what Pep does to be labelled a genius. He has pretty much worked with the worlds top players everywhere at every club he has been at.

The founding father of tiki taka, or at least the man who honed it into a successful style of play. His approach to football has changed the modern game and are copied at nearly all levels. He's still adapting and changing every season to try and stay ahead. 

IMO he's changed the English game immeasurably and he's why we've got teams at L2-level and below playing possession-based football.
    playing out from the back didn’t go to well when Garner was in charge
  • I'd love for us to go up this season, but don't think that it will happen.

I'm willing to pledge £50 to a charity (could be the Upbeats) that will be donated if promotion is achieved.

Anyone else willing to offer the same Money-where-your-mouth-is pledge?

Come on, it's a win win. 😁

Yes , I will do this .  50 quid if we go up to the upbeats . 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:

Yes, that's what I thought.  And then I bumped into a Leeds Vs Southampton game from March 1972. The Leeds press was a real eye-opener as was their swift accurate passing and movement. And then what next? Norman Hunter on the left wing to put in a perfect cross for the striker to head home. Except it wasn't Mick Jones or Alan Clarke but Jack Charlton.  Perhaps Pep got the ideas from Don Revie?

This goal predates Pep as well.

https://youtu.be/COe5Y29-BZY?si=pzoHHxMi2EIv1mGG

Spain started playing tiki taka after they got knocked out of the 2006 world cup and dropped Raul and Guti.

To claim that Pep invented it is completely wrong, and I don't think @Chunes was, but he probably perfected it, despite him saying its not tiki taka at all.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Very good read

If the bloke can get a team into the playoffs with McGrandles in midfield he must be some sort of miracle worker
    In all fairness to McGrandles I still don’t think we have seen enough of him to judge.He was good at Lincoln and did well on loan to Cambridge
    I remember reading that one Sunderland fan had said he was "a disaster of a player" and it was "like watching a dog chasing a balloon!" I don't pay much heed of other fans opinions and prefer to make up my own mind. Same with managers.
  • cafcfan said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:

I think Guardiola names Cruyff, Sacchi and Bielsa as his big influences. I don't think anyone would ever suggest he invented passing the football. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Harry Rednapp springs to mind. Always seemed to recruit players on their way down, but I agree that is not an “older type”, just a manager looking to make a quick fix.
    Understandable given how little time they are given.
    Developing players is code for selling to break even or move forward IMO
  • In the words of Jim Bowen (you can’t beat a bit of bullie) look at what you could have won!
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Harry Rednapp springs to mind. Always seemed to recruit players on their way down, but I agree that is not an “older type”, just a manager looking to make a quick fix.
    Understandable given how little time they are given.
    Developing players is code for selling to break even or move forward IMO
    The Rednapp that brought through Lampard, Cole, Rio, De Foe et al?

If your job is for six months to avoid relegation your not going to risk giving youth a chance are you? 

The only, recent, Charlton manager I can remember not playing youth players much is Jackson, quite probably because he didn't have any.
  • In the words of Jim Bowen (you can’t beat a bit of bullie) look at what you could have won!
    Wonder how Stockley is feeling, don't think he was too impressed by Johnson claiming he headbutted that Sunderland player
  • Expectations for Appleton are set pretty low so he doesn't have much to live up to.

• Match made in heaven. Meme twins.
  • edited September 2023
    Chunes said:
    In the words of Jim Bowen (you can’t beat a bit of bullie) look at what you could have won!
    Wonder how Stockley is feeling, don't think he was too impressed by Johnson claiming he headbutted that Sunderland player
    Meh, much if a muchness tbh. Especially their win percentage!
  • Sponsored links:

• DRAddick said:

Whoever first posted this as a joke, i hope you're happy with yourself. 
    Whoever it was, they are the new Nostrodamus…..
  • SamB09 said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:

playing out from the back didn’t go to well when Garner was in charge
    Worked pretty well for McKenna and Ipswich though. Probably because they signed some players for it instead of having Inniss and Lavelle in the squad trying to play it out from the back 
  • Jac_52 said:
    Very good read

Because he was
  • J BLOCK said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Very good read

Because he was
    Dobbo stepped up a gear (or 6) when Adkins left. NA really didn't seem to rate him.
  • Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
  • edited September 2023
    .J BLOCK said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Very good read

Because he was
    Bit harsh JB. Gave a goal away when he and … thingy… collided. 
    Was ok-ish apart from that, I thought. But he improved and looks to have improved again in the first two or three games this season. 
  • My thoughts on Appledon taking the hot seat, fair warning, I am not in favour and if you're looking for a positive video this won't be it.  :#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXdlTyDkyk
    Nice one, can’t really disagree with a lot that was said, you’re just saying it how you see it.

Noticed the bottle of Jim Beam at the beginning, fear it may have taken a hammering by the time you got to the end of the podcast!
    Haha, the lack of a match day Vlog made me miss my cheesy intro so I thought I'll try and make something humourous, 

Disclaimer I didn't go through both bottles, just the one  ;)
  • Croydon said:
    Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
    The more I’ve read about the fella, the more I agree. 
    I think he has a decent squad to work with, although an outstanding CB would make it much better, imho.