Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited September 2023
    swordfish said:
    Don't agree that there is any implied critism of player development/academy. In fact, the reverse as they keep banging on about it being what the Club does best, more a USP and invaluable as a pathway to profit, one for them to cash in on!
    Minor tweak, "a USP and invaluable as a pathway to profit and promotion, one for them to cash in on!"
    They can't make any sort of profit on their investment without at least 1 promotion.
    I want them to make a "profit" (i.e. sell at the optimum value) on progressive youngsters (whom we won't be able to keep anyway) provided it means there's money available to further strengthen the squad.
    That's how we did it the years running up to the 1998 promotion (Minto, Bowyer et al) and, since there's no logical reason for the owners paying £10m+ for CAFC unless it's to achieve at least 1 promotion, I have to assume they're not insane and intend to follow this path.
    It's a good path and the only realistic one that offers us a chance of success and them a decent return on their investment.
  • My guess and hope is that this season is going to be a very slow burn and steady if not spectacular climb up the league table. Again I think and hope that with ten games remaining we’ll be in with a very decent shout at attaining sixth place. I have a feeling that we might just do it. 
    Slow burn and steady if not spectacular climb up the league table .. just like the last two seasons then.
  • wmcf123 said:
    My guess and hope is that this season is going to be a very slow burn and steady if not spectacular climb up the league table. Again I think and hope that with ten games remaining we’ll be in with a very decent shout at attaining sixth place. I have a feeling that we might just do it. 
    Slow burn and steady if not spectacular climb up the league table .. just like the last two seasons then.
    But with a difference. We hit the top six at the right time under Bowyer. If you can achieve momentum at the sharp end of the season it’s a massive benefit. 
  • IAgree said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    And to be champions usually requires between 94 and 100 points.
    About another 88 points to win.
    Starting with the vital three points away at Stevenage next Saturday.

I admire your tenacity Seth
    I am sick of this fourth successive season watching our club playing at this level. I suspect everybody else is.

The clutter of our club is complex and embarrassing and depressing, so I have decided it would be good to focus on what the latest regime delivers, and I want them to deliver automatic promotion.

I am sneered at for that by some, like when I say we should win the next eight games in a row. But those games won would create a platform for automatic promotion before it is simply too late once again.

At the moment the regime is miles away from getting us automatic promotion, for that reason what they have done so far deserves scrutiny and where appropriate criticism. 

Additionally when they go on and on about young player development it suggests they have not been developing fine already, but they have haven’t they? The young player manoeuvre also acts as a way of distracting fans from the real prize, which I repeat is automatic promotion.

This lot decided for some mysterious and suspicious reason to acquire Charlton Athletic Football Club. Billionaires no less so we are led to believe, so my apparent tenacity is to see if our experts backed by billions can deliver the promotion we all want.

Two league wins and four defeats so far suggests to me they are failing. A win at Stevenage would represent one step on the road to success.
    So we are all sick of this league, we all want promotion, we all have concerns about the over reliance on youth and there’s no mystery about the new regime, who have no doubt been sold a very rosey picture of how easy it is to get promoted by Charlie. I don’t think anyone has sneered at you (disagreeing isn’t sneering) and advocating that we should give a new manager, any new manager, one game to turn the team is extreme. To suggest winning 8 on the trot is a reasonable or realistic target is equally extreme.

I strongly suspect that what you really want is an argument
    I accept what I want is seen by many as extreme.
    I probably occupy one extremity of hope and others are more sanguine.
    As for an argument, have you noticed that I don’t respond to the personal digs in kind?
    If I wanted an argument I would.
  • edited September 2023
    I'd love for us to go up this season, but don't think that it will happen.

I'm willing to pledge £50 to a charity (could be the Upbeats) that will be donated if promotion is achieved.

Anyone else willing to offer the same Money-where-your-mouth-is pledge?

Come on, it's a win win. 😁

• swordfish said:
    I can only see one outcome here. We've made the change required that will see us promoted to the Championship as champions of L1.
    We’d have to go unbeaten until Christmas to do that, the heat really is taking its toll!
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/ 

Gives an idea on what Charlton supporters might expect. 
    Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

I don't get what Pep does to be labelled a genius. He has pretty much worked with the worlds top players everywhere at every club he has been at.

• With all the fuss about how good he is with young players, the cynic in me says he’s been brought in to develop and sell our youth and little else. 
  • edited September 2023
    With all the fuss about how good he is with young players, the cynic in me says he’s been brought in to develop and sell our youth and little else. 
    I also don't understand the 'good with young players' perception.

I think every manager can say they're good at bringing youth through? 

They are trained in the youth system, they get recommended to the first team, if they do well enough they make it, if they don't they stay there. 

Every professional football club produces youth at every level so you could argue almost every coach promotes younger players.

Would be pretty daft to not start a player if he was good at football, regardless of age.

Sound bite stuff, just like 'the project' and 'experience in this league'.
    There are some managers who are much less willing to give young players a chance, though. 
  • Very good read
    interesting comments re Edun and McGrandles
  • Chunes said:
    With all the fuss about how good he is with young players, the cynic in me says he’s been brought in to develop and sell our youth and little else. 

They are trained in the youth system, they get recommended to the first team, if they do well enough they make it, if they don't they stay there. 

Every professional football club produces youth at every level so you could argue almost every coach promotes younger players.

Would be pretty daft to not start a player if he was good at football, regardless of age.

There are some managers who are much less willing to give young players a chance, though. 
    Of course there will be managers less inclined to start younger players as they may be more old school in their ways, but I doubt there's a club manager (or head coach) across the 92 who would ignore a player at the club just because they're young. I just think it's a bit of a cliché is all
  • limeygent said:
    Like anybody who joins the club, Appleton starts with a clean slate, for me. 
    Karel Fraeye even.
    Without exception.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Chunes said:

Of course there will be managers less inclined to start younger players as they may be more old school in their ways, but I doubt there's a club manager (or head coach) across the 92 who would ignore a player at the club just because they're young. I just think it's a bit of a cliché is all
    But that's what I mean. If, like you say – there are managers who are less inclined to start young players – then we shouldn't be hiring them. It's key that we maintain that clear pathway through to the first team because that no doubt it plays a big role in us being able to attract the youth talent that we do. Hiring a Mourinho-style manager who doesn't give young players a chance wouldn't work for us. I don't think it's a soundbite it's just common sense. 
  • seth plum said:

Or indefatigability?
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Or indefatigability?
     Thank you. That’s the word I was searching for.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

But that's what I mean. If, like you say – there are managers who are less inclined to start young players – then we shouldn't be hiring them. It's key that we maintain that clear pathway through to the first team because that no doubt it plays a big role in us being able to attract the youth talent that we do. Hiring a Mourinho-style manager who doesn't give young players a chance wouldn't work for us. I don't think it's a soundbite it's just common sense. 
    Out of every manager we were linked with though, how many have a reputation for not starting youth? 

Probably a cynical view, but I think it's just a sound bite to soften the blow. 

There are loads of snips like that in the statement, even stuff like 'knows how to get promotion' does he? Got Oxford promoted from League 2 over 6 seasons ago (barely) and with a very decent squad. Hasn't been promoted with a side since. 

It's all PR spin to stop fans kicking up a fuss and hats off to them cause it's worked. 

If this was Roland Duchatelet making these decisions, there would be serious suggestions for protests. 

Tight in the transfer window and tight in the managerial appointment. Hardly showing they mean business are they. 

Regardless, what's done is done. Despite my obvious caution towards these new owners, I'll still be at the games, I'll still be hoping to see us win and I'll still be cheering the lads on and enjoy the season. Just unfortunately think it's over before it really got going 
  • edited September 2023
    Well it sounds like you've made your mind up. You wanted the Cowleys didn't you? Tbh I'd be kicking off more than you are now if they came in. But always felt confident they weren't. 

Has the PR worked? I can't remember fans being less annoyed by a managerial appointment since Fraeye. 
  • Richard J said:
    Of course if he brings in David Kerslake there would be a very obscure ex player link.

Iirc he was on trial following his release from Spurs and was an unused sub in a league game. The next week he choose to sign for Ipswich.
    I’m ITK 😀 Kerslake coming in 
  • Jac_52 said:
    Very good read
    interesting comments re Edun and McGrandles

If the bloke can get a team into the playoffs with McGrandles in midfield he must be some sort of miracle worker
    Unless that's the reason we haven't been near the play offs since bowyer went? We haven't played him enough?

yep, after cheap lols
  • Chunes said:
    Well it sounds like you've made your mind up. You wanted the Cowleys didn't you? Tbh I'd be kicking off more than you are now if they came in.

Has the PR worked? I can't remember fans being less annoyed by a managerial appointment since Fraeye. 
    I have mate, like I said I want to be wrong and that's why I'm willing to part with north of 300 quid in doing so, be the happiest loss of money in my life, I just don't see it. Won't change my optimism going into every game, just have the feeling as Sunderland fans have warned us that it's out of the frying pan and straight into another frying pan.

I think it's worked in the sense that people are finding positives and the general consensus seems to be impartiality, no one seems to bothered he's in. 

The only three positives I will give him are: 

- he looks dead hard and no one is gonna want to be taking the piss in training 

- he is probably a better manager than Dean Holden 

- he will probably make us less suspect at the back.