Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• A good balanced article, thanks for linking it.
  • I'll keep open mind. He's the Charlton Head Coach and until there's reason to do otherwise he should have our support.  The image we have has been the character mocked in our threads so did some googling to see how well it is justified. There's an interesting 2021 interview in The Athletic on his career and the negative baggage he's had to carry https://theathletic.com/2421847/2021/03/03/michael-appleton-i-fell-foul-of-not-doing-proper-due-diligence-on-people-i-worked-with/

Googled the local papers for Oxford and Lincoln when he left and they were positive:

Quote Oxford Fans

“We had an identity and a way of playing football. I’m completely disappointed, really gutted to be honest, that it’s happened the way it has.

“He was an absolute gentlemen, a lovely bloke to talk to and a lot of people respected him.”

Lincoln Local paper

"Supported by the club’s recruitment team, Appleton made some outstanding signings, producing the best City side in 40 years, which didn’t just win regularly, but did so in style."

"On a personal level, Appleton has been a pleasure to deal with, always open and honest with the media. He’s clearly a talented manager and coach, and after a well-earned break to recharge his batteries, it would be no surprise to see him back in the game very soon, possibly on the coaching staff at a higher-level club."

No guarantees with us but seems the pre-conceived perceptions from may not be entirely justified.  However, seems "basket case" clubs where he's bombed attract him.

with respect to them, what Lincoln and Oxford fans expect from a manager should be VERY different things. 

Bit hard not to sound like a "massive" with a comment liike like this I grant you. Perhaps I just need to readjust my expectations down a division - just be happy being in and around league 1 play offs instead.
    Historically a mid table second division club. 

Over recent years I'd suggest we have dropped many places and are on a par with Lincoln and Oxford.
  • Two comments from another club's forum about Appleton's appointment. It seems the rest of the world view us as we view ourselves and Appleton.

Amazing how he keeps getting appointments despite not achieving anything except the sack at everywhere he goes except for one good season with Oxford United. I swear that sometimes the managerial round about believes it's own PR at times

He’s chosen his clubs very unwisely, almost everywhere he’s been bar Oxford has been a basket case. He did well at Lincoln too initially.
    Perhaps he likes a certainty for the sack and a nice little pay off.
  • vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/ 

Gives an idea on what Charlton supporters might expect. 
    Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

• "Michael certainly had his favourites at times during his time here, and mostly during his last season with the club. I wasn’t going to put this section in but when I saw a comment on my Twitter post about Conor McGrandles being almost undroppable in the 21/22 season despite some costly mistakes, I had to consider how he leaned towards certain players".

Joe Briley AllLincoln article "Michael Appleton-Analysis" 9th Sept

Seems he had his favourites who he chose when better players were available- one other we kn ow- jack Payne also got frozen out according to this account.

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/09/michael-appleton-appointed-at-charlton-analysis/
  • I think focusing on results is the wrong strategy. Whether you want the gold medal or not does not decide who wins it. Stick with Appleton for a year and we will be challenging. 
    Lincoln are tiny and he built a good team. Even mcshambles was brilliant.

isn't McScandalous injured for like 3 months though?

McCandles has had terrible luck with injuries, including the freak wrist injury with the deflected ball but does he have a flicker of a chance under the new head coach or has his career at Cafc tapered out ?
    McCandles played well at Lincoln but I don't want to wax lyrical about a player who has been snuffed out and will probably end up at WickCombe Wanderers. 

• thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    Balanced article from Lincoln supporter on Michael Appleton & his time head coaching Lincoln. 

Sounds like he's a good coach but maybe more flawed as a manager, as paradoxical as that sounds. Good at developing and training players but not really much of a tactician.

Which honestly? Shouldn't actually really be much of a problem. Get May and Leaburn fit at the same time and goals will come. Give the defence a deserved kick up the arse and get them to focus and he won't NEED to be a Pep style genius to get decent results.

Or get the right assistant 
  • .thenewbie said:
    vff said:

Don’t remember that being said about Appleton, but I remember Holden saying the same thing about himself, in one of his first interviews. I remember being quite shocked when he said that. 
    If Appleton’s the same it’s a bit of a worry, unless he has a proper tactician in the dugout alongside him. Surely tactics is half of the job?
  • Sponsored links:

• "Michael certainly had his favourites at times during his time here, and mostly during his last season with the club. I wasn’t going to put this section in but when I saw a comment on my Twitter post about Conor McGrandles being almost undroppable in the 21/22 season despite some costly mistakes, I had to consider how he leaned towards certain players".

Joe Briley AllLincoln article "Michael Appleton-Analysis" 9th Sept

Seems he had his favourites who he chose when better players were available- one other we kn ow- jack Payne also got frozen out according to this account.

I’m sure Payne is delighted he got loaned out before Appleton came in reading that! 
  • JamesSeed said:
    .thenewbie said:
    vff said:

Don’t remember that being said about Appleton, but I remember Holden saying the same thing about himself, in one of his first interviews. I remember being quite shocked when he said that. 
    If Appleton’s the same it’s a bit of a worry, unless he has a proper tactician in the dugout alongside him. Surely tactics is half of the job?
    I don't think so no. All managers these days will be expected to have the ability to change formation etc if needed.

He's just not seemingly the type who is going to be doing stuff like inverted full backs or false 9s or whatever. It will more likely be a "standard" 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 or whatever shape he goes with.

Which is okay by me.
  • thenewbie said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .thenewbie said:
    vff said:

I don't think so no. All managers these days will be expected to have the ability to change formation etc if needed.

He's just not seemingly the type who is going to be doing stuff like inverted full backs or false 9s or whatever. It will more likely be a "standard" 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 or whatever shape he goes with.

Which is okay by me.
    It’s the ability to switch formation or tactics mid game that we’re sometimes lacking, particularly when the opposition changes theirs. 
  • edited September 2023
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    Can we just embrace the chaos.

After reading the comments of many CL members, Michael Appleton is looked upon as Vanilla but vanilla is only a Chocolate flake away from being a 99 which would be a treat.

The cafc expectation bar is set so low that a limbo dancer would struggle to wriggle under.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step; Cafc issue is that the step is normally in the wrong direction.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. The first lady said that ?
    No, not Fanny Fanackapan but Eleanor Roosevelt.

If the one man and his sheep sing;
    "We are effing shit" at our next home game or worse, the next game against Stevenage, then we really are drowning not waving in a ocean of negativity.

Wow, what a great collection of profound statements....well put✅🤔
  • Chunes said:
    Woke up this morning feeling a little better about Micky Apples. 

If he can stop the basic errors, give us a better defensive shape and improve set pieces that's already a big points improvement. 
    That is probably pretty much all we need, because we know that scoring goals isn't this teams issue.

Highest scorers of any side outside the top 6 last year. 11th highest so far despite sitting 17th, and scored 3 in the cup last week and still lost.

If he can improve the defence by only 25%, we will be play off contenders in my opinion.
    I totally agree that a better defence would allow our good progressive players to win us enough points to get automatic promotion.

• swordfish said:
    I can only see one outcome here. We've made the change required that will see us promoted to the Championship as champions of L1.

And in the morning you wake up...😉
  • And to be champions usually requires between 94 and 100 points.
    About another 88 points to win.
    Starting with the vital three points away at Stevenage next Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saturday and no game.
    Perfect time to announce his back room staff so we can trash/ praise them. Come on comms, you know it makes sense.
  • seth plum said:
    And to be champions usually requires between 94 and 100 points.
    About another 88 points to win.
    Starting with the vital three points away at Stevenage next Saturday.

I admire your tenacity Seth
  • Of course if he brings in David Kerslake there would be a very obscure ex player link.

Iirc he was on trial following his release from Spurs and was an unused sub in a league game. The next week he choose to sign for Ipswich.
  • Richard J said:
    Of course if he brings in David Kerslake there would be a very obscure ex player link.

Iirc he was on trial following his release from Spurs and was an unused sub in a league game. The next week he choose to sign for Ipswich.
    Middlesboro away August 1997
  • Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    Can we just embrace the chaos.

After reading the comments of many CL members, Michael Appleton is looked upon as Vanilla but vanilla is only a Chocolate flake away from being a 99 which would be a treat.

The cafc expectation bar is set so low that a limbo dancer would struggle to wriggle under.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step; Cafc issue is that the step is normally in the wrong direction.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. The first lady said that ?
    No, not Fanny Fanackapan but Eleanor Roosevelt.

If the one man and his sheep sing;
    "We are effing shit" at our next home game or worse, the next game against Stevenage, then we really are drowning not waving in a ocean of negativity.

Wow, what a great collection of profound statements....well put✅🤔
    “It’s up to the players on the pitch to motivate the crowd - not the other way around” - David Pleat. 
  • The higher the league the better the fee.
    We need promotion