Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

Michael Appletons Red and White Army doesn’t work - the iteration is out as it’s too long.

Maybe Michael A’s Red and White Army (like we did we Alan C’s).

My OCD will be itching if we try and cram 5 syllables in.
    I think AFKA nailed it - mickey apples 
  • seth plum said:
    I don’t think further success with the first group would be down to Michael Appleton. They’re already getting picked here and there.
    If Miles Leaburn becomes an undroppable player, do you think that will be down to Michael Appleton, or would it be down to his team selection from the players he is presented with and he rates Leaburn?
    As do most of us.
    Do you actually ever see anything other than negativity and conspiracy ? 
    I watched the U21’s on the stream last Friday winning at Sheffield Wednesday and was very positive about that.
  • edited September 2023
    As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

Michael Appletons Red and White Army doesn’t work - the iteration is out as it’s too long.

Michael Appletons Red & White Army fits fine..doesn't it..🤷‍♂️

I had to look up "iteration" on Google and that didn't help....🙄
    1. the repetition of a process or utterance.
      • repetition of a mathematical or computational procedure applied to the result of a previous application, typically as a means of obtaining successively closer approximations to the solution of a problem.
  • seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    It's another "I win/you lose" irrational target being set.

If any academy player who has already appeared in the first team, even as just a sub in the paint pot cup, does well that doesn't count as they have already been "developed".

No allowance given for developing/improving them from where they are now to where they might be.

Deji and Ness have both played this season but clearly both need to be a lot better to start every week. There will be multiple reasons for that but part of MA'S job will be to take them to the next level and make raw talent consistent and reliable.

And all while having to win every game.

Good at developing players is a glib cliche as there are so many other people inputting to a player's development not least including the player themselves.

Did Garner develop JRS or was that Holden or Hayes?  

So in the case of Jeremy Santos what is the measurement of "development".

Maybe a loan but then the credit will be given to the loaned club not MA.

Maybe play him v Wycombe but if he bombs then MA has stunted his development. Another "gotcha".

As I said they are "I win/you lose" targets and tell us more about the person setting them than they ever will about Appleton.
    The voice of reason.
    One of the reasons I thought DH had to go when he did was that we were seeing very promising Academy products losing confidence and going backwards - by mistakes yes, but primarily by naive team selection and poor late game tactics ("senior" players going AWOL at times didn't help).
    It's one of the best crop of youngsters we've produced in the last 20 years IMHO and, for their and CAFC's sake, we must enable them to fulfil their potential while they're with us.   
    Holden introduced Karoy Anderson to first team football. Then there is Campbell, Asimwe  Mitchell and Ness to add to that. If they hadn’t been picked a lot of people wouldn’t have known they were ‘promising Academy products’.
    Were we seeing those players losing confidence and going backwards?
    As for mistakes, well I saw Asimwe cost us a game with a mistake, but I also saw experienced Michael Hector do the same.
    If Michael Appleton is going to improve the academy products that have broken through what will that look like?
    I think you can rule out picking them in the first place because that’s already been done, so what else?
    My answer to that question would be to make them part of a winning team that secures automatic promotion.
    You do know the difference between improving and picking.  You honestly expect us to believe someone with your level of education and experience does genuinely not know?
    I asked what improvements might look like beyond what we know and can see already?
    Maybe you would like to describe what an improved Tyreece Campbell (and others) would look like, I have already made one suggestion which is he would be improved if he were part of a team that secured us automatic promotion.
    It is the development system under Steve Avory that had made the major contribution to the players we are discussing.
    Are you saying that every young player that makes it through to being on the fringes of the first team is at that point the finished article ? Not even in your most ridiculous arguments can you think that. Avory gets them through to that point and then his job is done. Most will improve naturally as they mature and some will have a ceiling they cannot break through. It is the first team manager and his first team coaches that make sure that the potential is nurtured and reached. That includes protecting the player from over selection regardless of ability and having the ability to see where the player needs additional help. Of course the first team management are heavily involved in the progression of an academy prospect once they are at the required level to be involved in first team squads. 
    No they are not necessarily the finished article but they are well on their way.
    One feature of the appointment of Michael Appleton that has been promoted is this young player thing, so I have been asking the question how that is going to happen and what it would look like.
    Is the young player manoeuvre a red herring and a distraction, as in we remain mired as an indifferent lower league club but never mind we have lots of saleable young players?
  • seth plum said:
    fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

If any academy player who has already appeared in the first team, even as just a sub in the paint pot cup, does well that doesn't count as they have already been "developed".

No allowance given for developing/improving them from where they are now to where they might be.

Deji and Ness have both played this season but clearly both need to be a lot better to start every week. There will be multiple reasons for that but part of MA'S job will be to take them to the next level and make raw talent consistent and reliable.

Good at developing players is a glib cliche as there are so many other people inputting to a player's development not least including the player themselves.

Maybe play him v Wycombe but if he bombs then MA has stunted his development. Another "gotcha".

As I said they are "I win/you lose" targets and tell us more about the person setting them than they ever will about Appleton.
    The voice of reason.
    One of the reasons I thought DH had to go when he did was that we were seeing very promising Academy products losing confidence and going backwards - by mistakes yes, but primarily by naive team selection and poor late game tactics ("senior" players going AWOL at times didn't help).
    It's one of the best crop of youngsters we've produced in the last 20 years IMHO and, for their and CAFC's sake, we must enable them to fulfil their potential while they're with us.   
    Holden introduced Karoy Anderson to first team football. Then there is Campbell, Asimwe  Mitchell and Ness to add to that. If they hadn’t been picked a lot of people wouldn’t have known they were ‘promising Academy products’.
    As for mistakes, well I saw Asimwe cost us a game with a mistake, but I also saw experienced Michael Hector do the same.
    If Michael Appleton is going to improve the academy products that have broken through what will that look like?
    I think you can rule out picking them in the first place because that’s already been done, so what else?
    My answer to that question would be to make them part of a winning team that secures automatic promotion.
    You do know the difference between improving and picking.  You honestly expect us to believe someone with your level of education and experience does genuinely not know?
    I asked what improvements might look like beyond what we know and can see already?
    Maybe you would like to describe what an improved Tyreece Campbell (and others) would look like, I have already made one suggestion which is he would be improved if he were part of a team that secured us automatic promotion.
    It is the development system under Steve Avory that had made the major contribution to the players we are discussing.
    Being part of a successful team isn’t a measure that any player has improved individually. For T Campbell for example improvement could be shown by getting more goal involvements, being defensively smarter and being able to pick out passes a bit earlier. That’s not saying he’s bad at any of those things but they can be improved. It’s not necessarily something you can see with statistics either, some things you have to use your eye and judgement.
    I agree with you.
    What intrigued me is to what extent further improvement (to Miles, Tyreece and others) would be down to more game time or more coaching.
    it’s going to be different for each player, but it’s down to MA to find the balance for each player. That’s the key thing in developing young players 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

The voice of reason.
    Are you saying that every young player that makes it through to being on the fringes of the first team is at that point the finished article ? Not even in your most ridiculous arguments can you think that. Avory gets them through to that point and then his job is done. Most will improve naturally as they mature and some will have a ceiling they cannot break through. It is the first team manager and his first team coaches that make sure that the potential is nurtured and reached. That includes protecting the player from over selection regardless of ability and having the ability to see where the player needs additional help. Of course the first team management are heavily involved in the progression of an academy prospect once they are at the required level to be involved in first team squads. 
    No they are not necessarily the finished article but they are well on their way.
    One feature of the appointment of Michael Appleton that has been promoted is this young player thing, so I have been asking the question how that is going to happen and what it would look like.
    Is the young player manoeuvre a red herring and a distraction, as in we remain mired as an indifferent lower league club but never mind we have lots of saleable young players?
    But you know the truth that they are just words that any club uses on revealing a new manager or new signing.

Its the same as an corporate BS 'Mission Statement' or 'Values'. Just words.

UNTIL of course when actions occur and in the case of Charlton that means wining more than losing and heading back up the table. Then we will see another set of meaningless words about how we did it / who is to take credit etc. No analysis is needed.

We've appointed someone else who is currently 'ordinary'  & until results pick up no one is fully sold on him.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

The voice of reason.
    But you know the truth that they are just words that any club uses on revealing a new manager or new signing.

Its the same as an corporate BS 'Mission Statement' or 'Values'. Just words.

UNTIL of course when actions occur and in the case of Charlton that means wining more than losing and heading back up the table. Then we will see another set of meaningless words about how we did it / who is to take credit etc. No analysis is needed.

We've appointed someone else who is currently 'ordinary'  & until results pick up no one is fully sold on him.
    I agree about corporate BS, and also agree about judging on results.
    The reason I am sneered at is because I want a very high level of results that others call unrealistic.

• I have almost reached rock bottom with this club and coming close to switching off the life support. If MA can concentrate on the defence and with a consistent starting eleven then this might produce a result or two that will hopefully move me further away from the switch.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

The voice of reason.
    What we see at the moment is a team that has lost 4 out of 6 league games.  Improvement would be the same players winning 8 games on the spin.

I am suprised you can't see that your own demands are contrary to your assertion that the manager can't improve the players.

How do we go from losing to winning without the players improving?
    By deploying the players in a winning formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    DOUCHER said:
    As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

I think AFKA nailed it - mickey apples 
    Appletons red and white army fits it quite nicely
    Just needs one more syllable. For example, ‘Appletoni’s red & white army’ scans better. 
    Just doesn’t make sense. 
  • Covered End seem to sign, incorrectly IMHO "red army" rather than "red n white army" these days.

Bloody kids, in my day you could have a night out for 10 bob and it was safe to leave your door unlocked all night (nurse, he's off again) 
  • Covered End seem to sign, incorrectly IMHO "red army" rather than "red n white army" these days.

Bloody kids, in my day you could have a night out for 10 bob and it was safe to leave your door unlocked all night (nurse, he's off again

You called!!
  • Until Mickey Apples has proved himself with 8 straight wins we should sing as an alternative

Seth Plum's red and while army

(after our first international not the CL poster obviously)
  • edited September 2023

Micky Apple’s Red and White Army.

That is a decent shout Large and rolls off the tongue.
    Pleased you have got to the core of the problem and it's a really good sound bite.

Micky Apple's* if he does well could turn our end of season POTY into a Gala because he will squeeze until the pips squeak to get victories. MA doesn't want a team of Granny Smith's but to play a style of football that is Golden. Delicious times ahead and perhaps we didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel to find Micky Apple's.

* can I nominate a promote for the first poster who said Micky Apples on CL.
    AFKA please search 👏
  • As for the important stuff….. how do we do a Red and White army chant that fits his name?

Pleased you have got to the core of the problem and it's a really good sound bite.

Micky Apple's if he does well could turn our end of season POTY into a Gala because he will squeeze until the pips squeak to get victories. MA doesn't want a team of Granny Smith's but to play a style of football that is Golden. Delicious times ahead and perhaps we didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel to find Apple's.
    Just hope he doesn't try and set us up like a bunch of pink ladies because that would be too jazz(y) and make us look like a load of cox.

Appletons Red and White Army? 
  • It worked OK as Alan Curbishley's Red & White Army - and Michael Appleton has same number of syllables.

Doesn't fit the Allez, Allez, Allez mind you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It worked OK as Alan Curbishley's Red & White Army - and Michael Appleton has same number of syllables.

Doesn't fit the Allez, Allez, Allez mind you. 
    Good.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    Croydon said:
    Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
    It is… for them.
    Because it is a good appointment .. just what we need while the new owners stabilise the club 
  • To the tune of ‘Michael row the boat ashore’ you could have ‘Michael win the effin’ game, Alleluia’
  • Croydon said:
    Speaking to pals this weekend who all support various EFL clubs, and they all seem to think it's a good appointment 
    Show them the meme and then ask them again 😉

My offering,

Michael Appleton, kum ba yah!
    Michael Appleton, Kum ba yah!
    Michael Appleton, Kum ba yah!
    Oh, Michael Ap-ple-ton!

Micky Apple's* if he does well could turn our end of season POTY into a Gala because he will squeeze until the pips squeak to get victories. MA doesn't want a team of Granny Smith's but to play a style of football that is Golden. Delicious times ahead and perhaps we didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel to find Micky Apple's.

* can I nominate a promote for the first poster who said Micky Apples on CL.
    AFKA please search 👏
    MOD mag have been saying it since day 1. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mr+apples+madness&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9JmUv9wMg
  • cafc_se7 said:

Appletons Red and White Army? 
    This all day long, can’t see how anyone can say it doesn’t fit.

And Micky Apples for the Allez Allez Allez