Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    I have watched his interview, heard what he has to say, and read comments about what he is supposed to be good at.

One has been good at working with and developing young players.

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chin, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

In terms of Charlton Athletic’s need, unearthing and deploying our young talent has been going fine thank you very much, what on earth can Appleton add to what’s been going on already?

I call bollocks on the work with youngsters mantra, unless I am missing something obvious.

No Appleton, it is not about getting with the project and agreeing with where the opaque ownership want us to go, the so called developing youngsters. 

No Mr Appleton, your entire raison d’etre at Charlton is to WIN.

Starting away at Stevenage on Saturday, then Wycombe at home, then Shrewsbury away, then Exeter and your old club Blackpool both at home, then Derby away, Reading at home and another of your old clubs Lincoln City away.

Appleton you’re not needed to help the development of our youngsters, that is bollocks being thrown around by the Shamocracy salivating about getting our young players to a point of being able to sell them. They might want you to fatten up the cash cows, but we the supporters want you to win matches, over and over again.

Get those wins and a conversation can start. Lose or draw at Stevenage and in my eyes you will have to have a Rhino hide (which judging by that vapid interview I think you already have) because I will not be the only one wanting you gone.
    Would you prefer they appointed someone with no track record of working with and developing young players?
    I think the the best suggestion I’ve heard is taking break and seeing how it goes for ten matches or so. 
    Judging by the start to season there’s no easy fix unfortunately. 
    A track record is so in the past.
    As I have repeatedly said across a number of threads it is wins in the future I would like to become our track record.
    I am fed up with all this project stuff, direction of travel stuff, working with youngsters stuff, but I would be mightily cheered by winning the next eight games and eventual automatic promotion.
    Wouldn’t everybody be?
    Sure thing Seth, no worries. Let me just hop into my Time Machine and take a little jaunt into the future then I can come back and tell you which of the possibilities works out best....

OK.
    We are where we are then, it is what it is.
    So the future starts at Stevenage.
    One game of the one game at a time.
    What Appleton has to do is win that eleven verses eleven one game on the one game at a time principle.
    Then win the very next one game.
    Then win the next one game after that, and carry on winning one game at a time.

• There I no logic behind this appointment whatsoever.  There wasn’t a lot behind Holden, bar him being a thoroughly decent bloke .  At least Garner had an ideology, of a sort .  I said Pearce would be our manager by January and I stand by it 
  • edited September 2023
    If I was a new manager I wouldn't be too wary of the job. I would know the team needs to be better organised defensively and that would be the priority. The quality in the squad should be sufficient for that not to be an impossible task for Appleton. Whether he can do it or not is another matter, but that ought to be his immediate and short term priority.

Let's be honest, we can pick out at least 3 games where we have surrendered the points or a point due to basic mistakes. Basic mistakes ought to be the easiest to fix. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Good luck to Michael Appleton; the luck will be having our better players fit for selection. And the first job is to stop losing (no shit Sherlock)

You don't achieve this by being gung ho and being hit on the break (in transition) with no defensive shape and defenders at the wrong end of the pitch. Oxford was an education and Dean Holden failed his exams.
  • edited September 2023
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I have watched his interview, heard what he has to say, and read comments about what he is supposed to be good at.

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chin, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

In terms of Charlton Athletic’s need, unearthing and deploying our young talent has been going fine thank you very much, what on earth can Appleton add to what’s been going on already?

I call bollocks on the work with youngsters mantra, unless I am missing something obvious.

No Appleton, it is not about getting with the project and agreeing with where the opaque ownership want us to go, the so called developing youngsters. 

Starting away at Stevenage on Saturday, then Wycombe at home, then Shrewsbury away, then Exeter and your old club Blackpool both at home, then Derby away, Reading at home and another of your old clubs Lincoln City away.

Appleton you’re not needed to help the development of our youngsters, that is bollocks being thrown around by the Shamocracy salivating about getting our young players to a point of being able to sell them. They might want you to fatten up the cash cows, but we the supporters want you to win matches, over and over again.

Get those wins and a conversation can start. Lose or draw at Stevenage and in my eyes you will have to have a Rhino hide (which judging by that vapid interview I think you already have) because I will not be the only one wanting you gone.
    so if we don't win at Stevenage you want him gone? Wow. Just wow. You are fast approaching RonnieMoore levels of WUMMING arn't you?
    If we win at Stevenage that will add up to three points from three away games.
    That then leaves the six points dropped at home to make up.
    If we lose at Stevenage that leaves us nine points to make up (in my target for automatic promotion).
    So the best way to shut me up is for Michael Appleton to win at Stevenage.
    I know I am in a minority in my stance, most people want to give this circus a chance which means a longer term tolerance than I feel like giving.
    My tolerance level is short term, so the argument might be where is the breaking point for you and others.
    I have at least marked out my territory, wins and promotion.
    But is your target for automatics what he should be judged by, by anyone other than you?  There are 23 other teams in this league. We are not entitled to beat any of them, all of whom will be trying their beat us. Your target will leave you frustrated all season because, even when we win games, we're likely to be lagging behind it after our start.

Targets need to reflect what's realistic and at the moment automatics are no more than a pipe dream. I won't deam him a failure for not delivering that and I doubt he's been told that's expected of him.
    Yes of course automatic promotion is my target.
    It may well be that I am the only Charlton Athletic fan who has that aspiration, and other fans are OK about settling for less.
    I can tolerate those fans who would be happy with mid table, but some fans are struggling to tolerate me for wanting more.

Have you watched the Appleton interview? He himself says a target is a return to the Championship, so that makes two of us at least if Appleton is to be believed.
  • If Appleton has come into this job with no expectations or aspirations to get promoted he is the wrong man for it. I suspect he has though.
  • 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chinn, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

I make no value judgement on MA, but there is a big difference between producing shovel-ready kids from the academy, and actually developing a successful first team around young players.
    Interesting.
    Can you tell me more about this? This big difference?
    Shall we start from the notion that a successful first team is a winning first team?
    Glad we agree on the metric of success. 

We have always produced promising kids - but there’s still room for improvement when it comes to developing a homegrown crop into a successful first team. Certainly in recent times.

Whether that’s something Appleton is capable of, I have absolutely no idea.
  • We all want promotion ; were we going to get it with Holden? Without injuries probably. But which season were there no real injuries? Probably the seasons we got promoted. It’s the correlation between injuries and wins. High injuries low wins. This is really outside of a managers control. What he can do is set the players out to play a certain way ; Holden failed in this last point. If appleton can sort this out and have low injuries then there is good reason to be at least hopeful. I repeat : Give the bloke a chance to do this …please. 
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Yeah right.

so if we don't win at Stevenage you want him gone? Wow. Just wow. You are fast approaching RonnieMoore levels of WUMMING arn't you?
    If we lose at Stevenage that leaves us nine points to make up (in my target for automatic promotion).
    I know I am in a minority in my stance, most people want to give this circus a chance which means a longer term tolerance than I feel like giving.
    My tolerance level is short term, so the argument might be where is the breaking point for you and others.
    But is your target for automatics what he should be judged by, by anyone other than you?  There are 23 other teams in this league. We are not entitled to beat any of them, all of whom will be trying their beat us. Your target will leave you frustrated all season because, even when we win games, we're likely to be lagging behind it after our start.

Targets need to reflect what's realistic and at the moment automatics are no more than a pipe dream. I won't deam him a failure for not delivering that and I doubt he's been told that's expected of him.
    It may well be that I am the only Charlton Athletic fan who has that aspiration, and other fans are OK about settling for less.
    I can tolerate those fans who would be happy with mid table, but some fans are struggling to tolerate me for wanting more.

Have you watched the Appleton interview? He himself says a target is a return to the Championship, so that makes two of us at least if Appleton is to be believed.
    Yes I did. I found his interview less convincing than some of his predecessors introductory ones who've ultimately failed  tbh, but I'm supportive of his appointment now and banking on him to buck that trend.

Worryingly for me though, he mentioned returning to the Championship almost as an afterthought having spent time talking about player development and the academy first, which you'll agree isn't the fans priority but what we've been fed for a while as the way forward. 

Meaning no disrespect to the other CAFC,  but isn't that their MO?  Youth development first, on field success secondary.
  • edited September 2023
    Chunes said:
    A few comments in there saying that Appleton doesn't bother trying to build a connection with the fans. 

Some of ours will be pleased with that. Won't be seeing him in The Oak. 
    Apart from when he’s working the door. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose whoever got the gig, there was going to be the negatives to contend with, but some of the comments do seem a tad OTT, the guy wasn't my first choice, in fact I quite liked the thought of Bows returning, but I will at least give the guy a chance before hanging him out to dry.
    Oh and yes I want automatics as well, but would do with playoffs...👍🤷‍♂️
  • I didn’t realise what a big bastard he was. Always thought he was a scrawny bloke. At least he has a presence. I think the first thing he should do is knock out Charlie Kirk. Put a marker down to the rest of the squad!
    Didn't he have him on loan at Blackpool or am I a season out?
  • seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Yeah right.

Would you prefer they appointed someone with no track record of working with and developing young players?
    I think the the best suggestion I’ve heard is taking break and seeing how it goes for ten matches or so. 
    Judging by the start to season there’s no easy fix unfortunately. 
    A track record is so in the past.
    As I have repeatedly said across a number of threads it is wins in the future I would like to become our track record.
    I am fed up with all this project stuff, direction of travel stuff, working with youngsters stuff, but I would be mightily cheered by winning the next eight games and eventual automatic promotion.
    Wouldn’t everybody be?
    Sure thing Seth, no worries. Let me just hop into my Time Machine and take a little jaunt into the future then I can come back and tell you which of the possibilities works out best....

OK.
    We are where we are then, it is what it is.
    So the future starts at Stevenage.
    One game of the one game at a time.
    What Appleton has to do is win that eleven verses eleven one game on the one game at a time principle.
    Then win the very next one game.
    Then win the next one game after that, and carry on winning one game at a time.

Stevenage is an important game because ultimately, we have started the season poorly and we just need a win.  I don’t think people would/should be on Appleton’s back if we lose, that would be pointless.  I do however think he’s walked into a bit of lion’s den in terms the fans’ patience when it comes to seeing results quickly.  

That can happen with new managers, look at Jackson until he got offered the full time role.  I’m 100% of the opinion this is a bad appointment and will do nothing to change the pattern of the last few seasons, but it has bought CM & co a bit of time.  The worry for me is that Holden was their boy in Jan and that was only 9 months ago.  

I know a lot of people are just sick of the negativity or moaning or however they term it, and live in hope that the new mob are able to put in place a bit of stability and turn it round, but all we’ve got to go on so far are actions.  For me it’s a 4/10 for their start.  May, Camara, Tayo and Campbell look like good business so far, getting rid of Holden and the results makes it look like amateur hour, and rumours that the only few we paid came from a sponsor doesn’t inspire.

I hope fans won’t start digging out Appleton if it takes a few games to get a win, but I do need to see progress come Xmas otherwise it’s clear we’ve probably got another rudderless ship 
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Yeah right.

Oh I agree. The play offs is the very least I expect from this season. Anything less is failure.

I don’t think anyone, least of all me, is struggling to tolerate you for wanting more than mid table obscurity. I am struggling though with your belief that lose at Stevenage and Appleton should go.

And Stevenage could be top of the league by the time we visit next Saturday so I’d suggest a draw would be a decent result in the circumstances.