Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• The fact we’ve beaten a newly promoted team by one goal, and a team who are probably going to get relegated (and have sacked their manager) says it all for me about where we are .
  • edited September 2023
    Looks like Voldemort, sounds like Clinton Baptiste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogpOOKgJXI&t=85s
  • For those on here that are 50 plus, and have seen a lot of seasons / managers, just wondering how you feel about our latest incumbent?
  • Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

In fact here is something I read earlier this week from NTT20 substack on which clubs get the best loan players. So from a neutral before the club even appointed him. I’m definitely not one to swallow club bullshit, I just know a bit about football outside of just the Charlton bubble 

Some, you already know about. Michael Appleton’s reputation for developing loanees is well-founded. His peak in that regard was 2020/21, when loanees Brennan Johnson (19 upon arrival), Morgan Rogers (18) and TJ Eyoma (20) helped his Lincoln side to reach the League One play-off final, which they’d ultimately lose to Blackpool. In their first-ever loan spells, Johnson started 41 league games and Eyoma 37, with Rogers making 26 line-ups despite joining only in January. Callum Morton(20) and Robbie Gotts (20) also pitched in as upstart temps, while on-loan Alex Palmer played 48 matches in nets, but he was 24 so he’s effectively dead to us.

Rogers and Johnson, in particular, catapulted themselves into the limelight as well as the Imps into a play-off final: the former earned an upper-Championship loan and the latter went straight into Nottingham Forest’s first team, then to the Premier League, then to Tottenham. How do you like them, Apples? 

After that, it wasn’t surprising that football’s self-anointed royalty trusted Appleton to handle their crown jewels. Manchester City, the mutual beneficiaries of Rogers’ impressive Imps spell, gave him Lewis Fiorini (19) at Lincoln and again at Blackpool, following Appleton’s appointment there in 2022, and also sent Rogers to Bloomfield Road shortly before the loan whisperer was sacked. Arsenal endowed Appleton with 18-year-olds Brooke Norton-Cuffy (Lincoln) and Charlie Patino (Blackpool), and Liverpool handed 21-year-old Rhys Williams to his Tangerines for a time. Wherever Appleton turns up next, we can expect some elite prospects to follow.

Not sure how much they can claim these are elite loanees and he helped them develop...? Some of these players are now at the likes of Barrow, Lincoln and Forest Green Rovers. Others are still in the U23's or out on loan. I feel like we've had better loanees than this list. 

This NTT20 stuff is starting to get on my nerves a bit. I like the two guys and their content but remember it's just the opinions of two blokes. 
    You’ve picked out 2 that didn’t play much and were only there for half a season. The rest now play at least at the same level and others at a higher level. Gotts is the only one that went down a level after working with Appleton. 

Yes we got better loans, but that’s because we are a better club with more money. It’s more highlighting that the Man City’s, Arsenals, Liverpools etc trust Appleton with their players because he’s a good coach and has a good record with young player’s development 
    It's not the most inspiring list is it. 

Brennan Johnson: Tottenham
    Morgan Rogers: Middlesborough
    TJ Eyoma: Lincoln
    Callum Morton: Forest Green Rovers
    Robbie Gotts: Barrow
    Lewis Fiorini: Man City U23s
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy: Millwall
    Charlie Patino: Swansea
    Rhys Williams: Aberdeen

I don't think it's unfair to say, on balance, they don't often send him their good talent. 
    Some of them aren’t great, but it was Lincoln city, look at their loans since he left. Now they can’t attract those PL loans from the top teams at all. And you still have a £45m prem player there plus Patino will be a prem player. Fiorini and Rogers still definitely have a chance too. 

It’s not just the loans though, the successful Lincoln and Oxford sides he built both had lots of young players with team average ages of around 24 or 25 which is probably around what ours will be over the whole season. He’s not my first choice pick but I think it’s fair to say he works well with young players and is trusted with loans from the top clubs 

• NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Got a feeling he will play 4231 in his first game for us 

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

An argument for C.Campbell in there cause he's had a good start for us (despite my Wolves mate saying he's shocking) and seems very composed on the ball. 

Could also make a case for a few others, especially Camara in the double pivot if he's back fit by then. 

Either way on the face of it, that team looks good enough to get a result, let's see if he can earn his paycheque 
    Leaburn isn’t a number 10. If he wants to set us up in his favoured formation then Leaburn will have to play on the right or he will have to leave out one of May or Leaburn.

I would have the same personnel (other than Asiimwe in for Watson, who won’t be fit) but actually play people in their best positions and play 4-4-2 with Campbell on the right and Leaburn up top. I think Appleton has played it on occasion so I’m hoping he looks at the squad and picks the best formation for it, rather than trying to make us fit his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and end up not getting the best out of Leaburn and/or May
    I could see Miles playing the 10, his close ball retention is good and he allows others into the game, gives time for the other 3 to find routes.

I would have said May but I feel like he is more clinical than Leaburn so we want him in that forward position. 

Either way I think Miles is versatile enough to play any of the 4 roles, just think his physical presence will come in handy a bit further back where we have been struggling to keep the ball as much
    How many number 10s are there of Miles physical stature in world football? He isn’t a number 10, not technical, agile or creative enough for that role. He’s a striker that can do a job out wide from the bench because he’s quick  enough with fresh legs, but really he is just a striker. You want that physical presence up top, we should be playing Leaburn and May as a 2 which is one of my main worries about Appleton. I can already see him playing 1 of them up front, the other out of position or on the bench and not using what could be the best front 2 in the league 
    To be fair, I'm not too bothered what other 10s look like or do. As far as his technicality and agility go we must be watching the wrong player because Miles is definitely technically gifted for a player of his size and he is no slouch. Not trying to overhype him but he is far more than just a quick set of fresh legs and has a very high ceiling from what I've seen so far.

I don't see him dislodging Alf as that's the main man and we have better options out wide so I'd like to see him playing behind Alfie where I'm sure his hold up play will allow it to work. I am not saying he's gonna be Bernardo Silva and start threading passes and turning with ease, just more so if the ball gets to him in that part of the pitch he will hang on to it and bring others into the game. Think more second striker than a 10 then but either way just behind Alf.

One way or another Appleton will start them both I imagine. Be daft not to. 

The real competition atm is the wingers, who gets the nod out of the Campbell's. For me it's Tyreece all day, think he's so dangerous when he's running with the ball and like Corey completely fearless
    For a striker of his size he is brilliant technically and agile, but that doesn’t mean he can play number 10 as it’s a completely different position and skillset required. That’s the reason there aren’t any that look like him and he’s probably never played there. What you are describing is basically a 4-4-2 then which is how I think Appleton should set us up until Fraser and Camara return. 
    As for the wingers, Tyreece Campbell isn’t better than Chen Campbell, not even close. Chem has already shown to be more reliable in possession and have more consistent end product than him in just 1 and a half league games. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 then Tyreece would be on the right, but that’s because Chem would be the number 10 like he has been against fleetwood and Oxford. But if Leaburn and May are through the middle so it’s between the 2 Campbells, then Chem should definitely get the nod, he has more assists in 1 and half league games for us than Tyreece has in his career! 
    Yeah probably tbf or a 4411 either way I think you understand where I'm coming from in the sense I want Miles to allow May to have a bit more freedom. Seems like you also want the same but thought I expected Miles to play like David Silva haha 

I understand Chem has got the assists but Kirk also has more assists than Tyreece and I wouldn't dream of starting him over Tyreece. It's just more so the natural dribbling he has. 

On reflection though if we are going to be a possession based team then I reckon as Chem looks the more composed on the ball he may get the nod 

P.s. on a re-read of my post the top bit seems a bit snarky with the 'I am not bothered' bit. To be clear I was more so meaning it to sound in a way where we need something different to other teams rather than how reading it back it comes across a tad sassy, wasn't meant to seem that way if it did and this is why I always emphasise on body language. 

6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
    This'll do well for your blog mate.
    Cause it's online and I can't always decipher every post, are you implying cause I am being negative it will turn people away? If so mate that wouldn't really bother me as I am not going to start faking up a personality to get a few views. This is how I view the situation and I'm not someone who really sits on the fence about things, especially when it's about Charlton

If it's anything else do explain please 
    No, on the contrary, I think fans will be very keen to talk to you.
    Keep enjoying what you're doing :)
    Ah ok following, tbf mate, I'd rather get next to no viewers and Charlton be class at football  :D

I am hoping people approach me more at games to stop my salesman pitch of trying to convince people to let me talk to them on camera haha 

Anywho thanks dude 
  • edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

In fact here is something I read earlier this week from NTT20 substack on which clubs get the best loan players. So from a neutral before the club even appointed him. I’m definitely not one to swallow club bullshit, I just know a bit about football outside of just the Charlton bubble 

Some, you already know about. Michael Appleton’s reputation for developing loanees is well-founded. His peak in that regard was 2020/21, when loanees Brennan Johnson (19 upon arrival), Morgan Rogers (18) and TJ Eyoma (20) helped his Lincoln side to reach the League One play-off final, which they’d ultimately lose to Blackpool. In their first-ever loan spells, Johnson started 41 league games and Eyoma 37, with Rogers making 26 line-ups despite joining only in January. Callum Morton(20) and Robbie Gotts (20) also pitched in as upstart temps, while on-loan Alex Palmer played 48 matches in nets, but he was 24 so he’s effectively dead to us.

Rogers and Johnson, in particular, catapulted themselves into the limelight as well as the Imps into a play-off final: the former earned an upper-Championship loan and the latter went straight into Nottingham Forest’s first team, then to the Premier League, then to Tottenham. How do you like them, Apples? 

After that, it wasn’t surprising that football’s self-anointed royalty trusted Appleton to handle their crown jewels. Manchester City, the mutual beneficiaries of Rogers’ impressive Imps spell, gave him Lewis Fiorini (19) at Lincoln and again at Blackpool, following Appleton’s appointment there in 2022, and also sent Rogers to Bloomfield Road shortly before the loan whisperer was sacked. Arsenal endowed Appleton with 18-year-olds Brooke Norton-Cuffy (Lincoln) and Charlie Patino (Blackpool), and Liverpool handed 21-year-old Rhys Williams to his Tangerines for a time. Wherever Appleton turns up next, we can expect some elite prospects to follow.

Not sure how much they can claim these are elite loanees and he helped them develop...? Some of these players are now at the likes of Barrow, Lincoln and Forest Green Rovers. Others are still in the U23's or out on loan. I feel like we've had better loanees than this list. 

This NTT20 stuff is starting to get on my nerves a bit. I like the two guys and their content but remember it's just the opinions of two blokes. 
    You’ve picked out 2 that didn’t play much and were only there for half a season. The rest now play at least at the same level and others at a higher level. Gotts is the only one that went down a level after working with Appleton. 

Yes we got better loans, but that’s because we are a better club with more money. It’s more highlighting that the Man City’s, Arsenals, Liverpools etc trust Appleton with their players because he’s a good coach and has a good record with young player’s development 
    It's not the most inspiring list is it. 

Brennan Johnson: Tottenham
    Morgan Rogers: Middlesborough
    TJ Eyoma: Lincoln
    Callum Morton: Forest Green Rovers
    Robbie Gotts: Barrow
    Lewis Fiorini: Man City U23s
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy: Millwall
    Charlie Patino: Swansea
    Rhys Williams: Aberdeen

I don't think it's unfair to say, on balance, they don't often send him their good talent. 
    Some of them aren’t great, but it was Lincoln city, look at their loans since he left. Now they can’t attract those PL loans from the top teams at all. And you still have a £45m prem player there plus Patino will be a prem player. Fiorini and Rogers still definitely have a chance too. 

It’s not just the loans though, the successful Lincoln and Oxford sides he built both had lots of young players with team average ages of around 24 or 25 which is probably around what ours will be over the whole season. He’s not my first choice pick but I think it’s fair to say he works well with young players and is trusted with loans from the top clubs 

I agree so far as he's happy to put young people in his team and has proven he can make it work, where I disagree is that being trusted with largely mediocre loans from top clubs holds much meaning. 
  • Right 2 bottles of red wine prying I’m as wrong as I was about free transfer from Wimbledon Lyle Taylor 
  • Sod this malarkey, I’m putting some Quo on.
    Whatever you want but don’t get Down, Down 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah ffs. It's supposed to be an escape from everyday life. It's just as much a tedious trudge with every passing year.
  • th0rryy said:
     Proof is in the pudding. Maybe he gets a tune out of this squad that should, in all honestly, be capable of pushing for playoffs if they play to the top end of their capabilities.

I dunno. Not particularly whelmed either way. Just another one in.
    Aaaaagh!
  • I actually can't believe the meme has become the manager. When did we first start doing that? It's been years of that joke and suddenly the joke is real and it's somehow got less funny. 
    It's a fairly uninspired choice. I hope he catapults us into the Championship but it seems a bit bleak that instead of going a bit left field on a manager on the up we've gone for one who has never been promoted from L1, has failed quite badly at Championship clubs and whose sole career promotion was from L2 in 2016. I don't know what they saw that convinced them he was going to sort us out but as far as I can tell there's nothing to massively separate him from Holden other than probably being cheaper.
    He got the Job because he’s Charlie’s mate and the only manager to be interviewed that said ‘I don’t need a big budget’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12373777/amp/Former-Blackpool-boss-Michael-Appleton-eager-return-management-admits-cautious-talking-modern-players.html

Quite an interesting article, although some of the copy editing is a bit off. 
     Like many managers, Appleton must wish he had received more patience from certain. Blackpool thought they could stay up by removing but they will begin the season in League One.’
  • For those on here that are 50 plus, and have seen a lot of seasons / managers, just wondering how you feel about our latest incumbent?
    Seen it all before. Usually barely "whelmed" but occasionally, unexpectedly surprised. I mean, at the beginning you have to give a new manager a chance.

Appleton has gained a fair bit of experience over a number of years now, often in really challenging situations at under-resourced clubs or no-hopers.
    He's savoured promotion and taken other shoestring dark horse clubs to within a whisker of promotion and Wembley finals. That's no mean feat if you've a tiny budget, freebies, kids and a couple of twilight players.

Andy Scott says Appleton is best working "on the grass"and coaching. Let's see how the new Head Coach sets up the team, tacticallly, physically and mentally. And he needs results or he'll be gone within a few months. Meanwhile, in the immortal words of CL's very own Henry Irving, "Just win games".

• Managers learn, he has had success and and he understands this level better than any of our recent managers.

People sneer at clubs like Lincoln but they are a shining example of overachievement compared to CAFC.

I have a feeling he will do alright.
    Or at least perhaps much better than what many people here expect. 

As you say, he knows the division.

I think he might surprise us and do ok. 
    No idea how MA will do but Lennie Lawrence unknown quantity at the start, as were Curbs, Powell and Bowyer.
    They all got us promoted, 
    Nathan Jones would have been my choice but shit happens and Fingers crossed MA isn’t the next in a long line of fuck ups ( mostly due to shit owners.)
  • Apologies for my OCD, but ‘underwhelmed’ means not impressed or unconvinced.
    Overwhelmed’ very roughly means unable to cope with the situation your in.
    ’Whelmed’ means engulf, submerge, or bury.
    "a swimmer whelmed in a raging storm". 
    On the other hand, English is a living language, and perhaps we could force a second meaning on whelmed through regular use. But when posters say whelmed do they mean ‘pleased’ or ‘very neutral’?
  • Sponsored links:

• Club announcement promised an Appleton video on Friday afternoon - see final paragraph.

• Club announcement promised an Appleton video on Friday afternoon - see final paragraph.

It's there mate... https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_9lj46n55
  • edited September 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Managers learn, he has had success and and he understands this level better than any of our recent managers.

People sneer at clubs like Lincoln but they are a shining example of overachievement compared to CAFC.

I have a feeling he will do alright.
    Or at least perhaps much better than what many people here expect. 

As you say, he knows the division.

Yup - for me "do alright" means getting us to within a few points of playoffs so that we can at least get interested in upcoming matches.
  •  "imagine no possession 🎶"
  • edited September 2023
    On the other hand...

You'd (may) be surprised 

https://youtu.be/vUhfMhNBe_o?si=95vXkfv50stnawrt
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Got a feeling he will play 4231 in his first game for us 

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

An argument for C.Campbell in there cause he's had a good start for us (despite my Wolves mate saying he's shocking) and seems very composed on the ball. 

Could also make a case for a few others, especially Camara in the double pivot if he's back fit by then. 

Either way on the face of it, that team looks good enough to get a result, let's see if he can earn his paycheque 
    Leaburn isn’t a number 10. If he wants to set us up in his favoured formation then Leaburn will have to play on the right or he will have to leave out one of May or Leaburn.

I would have the same personnel (other than Asiimwe in for Watson, who won’t be fit) but actually play people in their best positions and play 4-4-2 with Campbell on the right and Leaburn up top. I think Appleton has played it on occasion so I’m hoping he looks at the squad and picks the best formation for it, rather than trying to make us fit his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and end up not getting the best out of Leaburn and/or May
    I could see Miles playing the 10, his close ball retention is good and he allows others into the game, gives time for the other 3 to find routes.

I would have said May but I feel like he is more clinical than Leaburn so we want him in that forward position. 

Either way I think Miles is versatile enough to play any of the 4 roles, just think his physical presence will come in handy a bit further back where we have been struggling to keep the ball as much
    How many number 10s are there of Miles physical stature in world football? He isn’t a number 10, not technical, agile or creative enough for that role. He’s a striker that can do a job out wide from the bench because he’s quick  enough with fresh legs, but really he is just a striker. You want that physical presence up top, we should be playing Leaburn and May as a 2 which is one of my main worries about Appleton. I can already see him playing 1 of them up front, the other out of position or on the bench and not using what could be the best front 2 in the league 
    To be fair, I'm not too bothered what other 10s look like or do. As far as his technicality and agility go we must be watching the wrong player because Miles is definitely technically gifted for a player of his size and he is no slouch. Not trying to overhype him but he is far more than just a quick set of fresh legs and has a very high ceiling from what I've seen so far.

I don't see him dislodging Alf as that's the main man and we have better options out wide so I'd like to see him playing behind Alfie where I'm sure his hold up play will allow it to work. I am not saying he's gonna be Bernardo Silva and start threading passes and turning with ease, just more so if the ball gets to him in that part of the pitch he will hang on to it and bring others into the game. Think more second striker than a 10 then but either way just behind Alf.

One way or another Appleton will start them both I imagine. Be daft not to. 

The real competition atm is the wingers, who gets the nod out of the Campbell's. For me it's Tyreece all day, think he's so dangerous when he's running with the ball and like Corey completely fearless
    For a striker of his size he is brilliant technically and agile, but that doesn’t mean he can play number 10 as it’s a completely different position and skillset required. That’s the reason there aren’t any that look like him and he’s probably never played there. What you are describing is basically a 4-4-2 then which is how I think Appleton should set us up until Fraser and Camara return. 
    As for the wingers, Tyreece Campbell isn’t better than Chen Campbell, not even close. Chem has already shown to be more reliable in possession and have more consistent end product than him in just 1 and a half league games. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 then Tyreece would be on the right, but that’s because Chem would be the number 10 like he has been against fleetwood and Oxford. But if Leaburn and May are through the middle so it’s between the 2 Campbells, then Chem should definitely get the nod, he has more assists in 1 and half league games for us than Tyreece has in his career! 
    Yeah probably tbf or a 4411 either way I think you understand where I'm coming from in the sense I want Miles to allow May to have a bit more freedom. Seems like you also want the same but thought I expected Miles to play like David Silva haha 

I understand Chem has got the assists but Kirk also has more assists than Tyreece and I wouldn't dream of starting him over Tyreece. It's just more so the natural dribbling he has. 

On reflection though if we are going to be a possession based team then I reckon as Chem looks the more composed on the ball he may get the nod 

P.s. on a re-read of my post the top bit seems a bit snarky with the 'I am not bothered' bit. To be clear I was more so meaning it to sound in a way where we need something different to other teams rather than how reading it back it comes across a tad sassy, wasn't meant to seem that way if it did and this is why I always emphasise on body language. 

6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
    This'll do well for your blog mate.
    Cause it's online and I can't always decipher every post, are you implying cause I am being negative it will turn people away? If so mate that wouldn't really bother me as I am not going to start faking up a personality to get a few views. This is how I view the situation and I'm not someone who really sits on the fence about things, especially when it's about Charlton

If it's anything else do explain please 
    No, on the contrary, I think fans will be very keen to talk to you.
    Keep enjoying what you're doing :)
    Ah ok following, tbf mate, I'd rather get next to no viewers and Charlton be class at football  :D

I am hoping people approach me more at games to stop my salesman pitch of trying to convince people to let me talk to them on camera haha 

Anywho thanks dude 
    No problem dude.
  • Like anybody who joins the club, Appleton starts with a clean slate, for me. 
  • limeygent said:
    Like anybody who joins the club, Appleton starts with a clean slate, for me. 
    Karel Fraeye even.
  • Is he being allowed to bring his own staff in?