Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Football wise well it’s not the most inspiring choice but we are a busted flush as a club when it comes to managers getting the sack every 6-9 months.

A lot of people think twice before joining us

As a head coach he can only work with he has been given. If the January window is a poor one then that falls on Scott as much as it will fall on Appleton
  • Sacked by xmas. 
  • edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

In fact here is something I read earlier this week from NTT20 substack on which clubs get the best loan players. So from a neutral before the club even appointed him. I’m definitely not one to swallow club bullshit, I just know a bit about football outside of just the Charlton bubble 

Some, you already know about. Michael Appleton’s reputation for developing loanees is well-founded. His peak in that regard was 2020/21, when loanees Brennan Johnson (19 upon arrival), Morgan Rogers (18) and TJ Eyoma (20) helped his Lincoln side to reach the League One play-off final, which they’d ultimately lose to Blackpool. In their first-ever loan spells, Johnson started 41 league games and Eyoma 37, with Rogers making 26 line-ups despite joining only in January. Callum Morton(20) and Robbie Gotts (20) also pitched in as upstart temps, while on-loan Alex Palmer played 48 matches in nets, but he was 24 so he’s effectively dead to us.

Rogers and Johnson, in particular, catapulted themselves into the limelight as well as the Imps into a play-off final: the former earned an upper-Championship loan and the latter went straight into Nottingham Forest’s first team, then to the Premier League, then to Tottenham. How do you like them, Apples? 

After that, it wasn’t surprising that football’s self-anointed royalty trusted Appleton to handle their crown jewels. Manchester City, the mutual beneficiaries of Rogers’ impressive Imps spell, gave him Lewis Fiorini (19) at Lincoln and again at Blackpool, following Appleton’s appointment there in 2022, and also sent Rogers to Bloomfield Road shortly before the loan whisperer was sacked. Arsenal endowed Appleton with 18-year-olds Brooke Norton-Cuffy (Lincoln) and Charlie Patino (Blackpool), and Liverpool handed 21-year-old Rhys Williams to his Tangerines for a time. Wherever Appleton turns up next, we can expect some elite prospects to follow.

Not sure how much they can claim these are elite loanees and he helped them develop...? Some of these players are now at the likes of Barrow, Lincoln and Forest Green Rovers. Others are still in the U23's or out on loan. I feel like we've had better loanees than this list. 

This NTT20 stuff is starting to get on my nerves a bit. I like the two guys and their content but remember it's just the opinions of two blokes. 
    You’ve picked out 2 that didn’t play much and were only there for half a season. The rest now play at least at the same level and others at a higher level. Gotts is the only one that went down a level after working with Appleton. 

Yes we got better loans, but that’s because we are a better club with more money. It’s more highlighting that the Man City’s, Arsenals, Liverpools etc trust Appleton with their players because he’s a good coach and has a good record with young player’s development 
    It's not the most inspiring list is it. 

Brennan Johnson: Tottenham
    Morgan Rogers: Middlesborough
    TJ Eyoma: Lincoln
    Callum Morton: Forest Green Rovers
    Robbie Gotts: Barrow
    Lewis Fiorini: Man City U23s
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy: Millwall
    Charlie Patino: Swansea
    Rhys Williams: Aberdeen

I don't think it's unfair to say, on balance, they don't often send him their good talent. 
  • Can’t wait for these words from Appleton to appear on web-site .
    Is that one of the valley 14 chips?
    No, that french fry is a clue that the Valley is going to be sponsored and renamed the Ronald McDonald Hospice for Injured Clowns.
  • edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Got a feeling he will play 4231 in his first game for us 

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

An argument for C.Campbell in there cause he's had a good start for us (despite my Wolves mate saying he's shocking) and seems very composed on the ball. 

Could also make a case for a few others, especially Camara in the double pivot if he's back fit by then. 

Either way on the face of it, that team looks good enough to get a result, let's see if he can earn his paycheque 
    Leaburn isn’t a number 10. If he wants to set us up in his favoured formation then Leaburn will have to play on the right or he will have to leave out one of May or Leaburn.

I would have the same personnel (other than Asiimwe in for Watson, who won’t be fit) but actually play people in their best positions and play 4-4-2 with Campbell on the right and Leaburn up top. I think Appleton has played it on occasion so I’m hoping he looks at the squad and picks the best formation for it, rather than trying to make us fit his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and end up not getting the best out of Leaburn and/or May
    I could see Miles playing the 10, his close ball retention is good and he allows others into the game, gives time for the other 3 to find routes.

I would have said May but I feel like he is more clinical than Leaburn so we want him in that forward position. 

Either way I think Miles is versatile enough to play any of the 4 roles, just think his physical presence will come in handy a bit further back where we have been struggling to keep the ball as much
    How many number 10s are there of Miles physical stature in world football? He isn’t a number 10, not technical, agile or creative enough for that role. He’s a striker that can do a job out wide from the bench because he’s quick  enough with fresh legs, but really he is just a striker. You want that physical presence up top, we should be playing Leaburn and May as a 2 which is one of my main worries about Appleton. I can already see him playing 1 of them up front, the other out of position or on the bench and not using what could be the best front 2 in the league 
    To be fair, I'm not too bothered what other 10s look like or do. As far as his technicality and agility go we must be watching the wrong player because Miles is definitely technically gifted for a player of his size and he is no slouch. Not trying to overhype him but he is far more than just a quick set of fresh legs and has a very high ceiling from what I've seen so far.

I don't see him dislodging Alf as that's the main man and we have better options out wide so I'd like to see him playing behind Alfie where I'm sure his hold up play will allow it to work. I am not saying he's gonna be Bernardo Silva and start threading passes and turning with ease, just more so if the ball gets to him in that part of the pitch he will hang on to it and bring others into the game. Think more second striker than a 10 then but either way just behind Alf.

One way or another Appleton will start them both I imagine. Be daft not to. 

The real competition atm is the wingers, who gets the nod out of the Campbell's. For me it's Tyreece all day, think he's so dangerous when he's running with the ball and like Corey completely fearless
    For a striker of his size he is brilliant technically and agile, but that doesn’t mean he can play number 10 as it’s a completely different position and skillset required. That’s the reason there aren’t any that look like him and he’s probably never played there. What you are describing is basically a 4-4-2 then which is how I think Appleton should set us up until Fraser and Camara return. 
    As for the wingers, Tyreece Campbell isn’t better than Chen Campbell, not even close. Chem has already shown to be more reliable in possession and have more consistent end product than him in just 1 and a half league games. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 then Tyreece would be on the right, but that’s because Chem would be the number 10 like he has been against fleetwood and Oxford. But if Leaburn and May are through the middle so it’s between the 2 Campbells, then Chem should definitely get the nod, he has more assists in 1 and half league games for us than Tyreece has in his career! 
  • I had a lovely day at work, went for beer with my work friends, got home and had a nice cup of tea. Then had a good afternoon/evening sleep. 
    I hadn’t looked at the internet since this morning. 
    Good old Charlton, even manage to put a downer on my weekend when they are not playing. 
    Had a blinding week in Salzburg , Austria, what is it about this club, that are really good  at underdelivering time and time again.
  • SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

Using under 21 as the benchmark:
    Isted-26
    AMB-24
    Jones-27
    TT-27
    Hector-31
    Ness-21 Young player
    Assimwe-18 Young player
    T Watson-26 ("Watson 26" bring back some bad memories)
    Edun-25
    Dobbo-25
    Camara-26
    May-30
    Fraser-28
    Leaburn-19 Young player
    Taylor-22 
    Abankwah-19 Young Player
    Kirk-25
    McGrandles-27
    T. Campbell-19 Young Player
    Aneke-30
    CBT-25
    L Watson-22
    Deji-20 next week Young player
    C. Campbell-20 Young Player
    Chin-20 Young player
    Kanu-18 Young player
    Tedic-23 
    Anderson-18 Young player

There are some young players in the squad, but it's by no means "the only players we have." Just because Holden decided to start five teenagers a couple of weeks ago doesn't mean that's what our squad is made up of. Also, looking at those young players, Chin won't make many league matchday squads, I think Deji and Kanu will struggle to make the squad. I wonder if it will be two from three of Assimwe, Watson, and Abankwah, which would mean another 18 year old missing out. 

What you're left with is some young players, some predigious, like Miles and TC, to a lesser extent (at this moment) Anderson and Asiimwe (could maybe put Ness in there). C Campbell has looked very good since joining. Ness is still younger and less experienced than many realize. But I would say about half of our young players are on the fringes of the squad. 
    Some of the CL members are getting on a bit and anyone under age 30 looks like a young player  :)
    This is, admittedly, relatable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:
    Sacked by xmas. 
    Ho ho ho!
  • Think he will do well.  Play offs here we come.
  • Appleton, who has taken control of 420 games across each of English football’s top-four divisions”

I don’t know what’s more surprising, the fact that he has managed exactly the same number of games in each league or that he has managed 1680 games at the young age of 47, Alex Furguson managed only about 400 more in total and he retired in his 70’s! 

Maybe pedantry on the Charlton Life forum is the least surprising…
  • If this is the lowest point that Charlton can reach in recent decades, what with manager following manager, following manager may be the tide is about to turn (against all odds) and we may be on the up. We can all predict how crap it will all be because he hasn’t done anything majorly fantastic at this level, but you just never know sometimes. Things just click together for no apparent reason; it’s this mentality that keeps me turning up. I’ve always said that football is a metaphor for life. We just keep turning up… 
  • I could do with a cappachino (not as manager).
  • I wonder if the appointment of a new manager in the history of Charlton has ever gone down as badly as this one?

Lord, I hope Appleton doesn't read this thread.

Or turn up in the Oak hoping to meet fans.
  • edited September 2023
    Absolutely Sick of abjectivesness if thats even a word .
    When are we going to show some upward desire?
  • cabbles said:
    Nothing against him personally, and I appreciate we may not be able attract/want to pay for better, but this is a pathetic appointment 

He may well have a bit of a bounce, I think he could be gone by March, and he’s very much a manager that fits a league one club looking to cement 13th

This post may come back to make me look silly, and I’ll have to eat humble pie, but really not feeling this at all
    You're not alone and happy to proved wrong, i'm not even convinced we'll get a bounce out of him.
    plus he received a huge compensation payment in 2007 (circa £1.5 Million) for knee surgery that went very wrong .. according to wiki
    I'm sure he'd rather not had the money mate, although I take your point.
  • Absolutely Sick of abjectivesness if thats even a word .
    It would take a trip to the cinema and a romantic candle lit dinner Mendonca!
  • Sponsored links:

• 6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
    This'll do well for your blog mate.
  • I wonder if the appointment of a new manager in the history of Charlton has ever gone down as badly as this one?

Lord, I hope Appleton doesn't read this thread.

Or turn up in the Oak hoping to meet fans.
    Karel Fraeye 
  • Absolutely Sick of abjectivesness if thats even a word .
    It would take a trip to the cinema and a romantic candle lit dinner Mendonca!
    Partly done that soapy, with going to see Big Fat Wedding  3 Soaps!
  • Most underwhelming appointment since Russell Slade......& we know how that turned out!!
    Slade got stitched up by the squirrel from day 1 tbf.
  • RedChaser said:
    About as inspiring as planning a night out with your pals and ending up in a Wetherspoons all night.

You’ll upset @ElfsborgAddick now he’s their best customer 😉
    I was :'(
  • edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

An argument for C.Campbell in there cause he's had a good start for us (despite my Wolves mate saying he's shocking) and seems very composed on the ball. 

Could also make a case for a few others, especially Camara in the double pivot if he's back fit by then. 

Either way on the face of it, that team looks good enough to get a result, let's see if he can earn his paycheque 
    Leaburn isn’t a number 10. If he wants to set us up in his favoured formation then Leaburn will have to play on the right or he will have to leave out one of May or Leaburn.

I would have the same personnel (other than Asiimwe in for Watson, who won’t be fit) but actually play people in their best positions and play 4-4-2 with Campbell on the right and Leaburn up top. I think Appleton has played it on occasion so I’m hoping he looks at the squad and picks the best formation for it, rather than trying to make us fit his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and end up not getting the best out of Leaburn and/or May
    I could see Miles playing the 10, his close ball retention is good and he allows others into the game, gives time for the other 3 to find routes.

I would have said May but I feel like he is more clinical than Leaburn so we want him in that forward position. 

Either way I think Miles is versatile enough to play any of the 4 roles, just think his physical presence will come in handy a bit further back where we have been struggling to keep the ball as much
    How many number 10s are there of Miles physical stature in world football? He isn’t a number 10, not technical, agile or creative enough for that role. He’s a striker that can do a job out wide from the bench because he’s quick  enough with fresh legs, but really he is just a striker. You want that physical presence up top, we should be playing Leaburn and May as a 2 which is one of my main worries about Appleton. I can already see him playing 1 of them up front, the other out of position or on the bench and not using what could be the best front 2 in the league 
    To be fair, I'm not too bothered what other 10s look like or do. As far as his technicality and agility go we must be watching the wrong player because Miles is definitely technically gifted for a player of his size and he is no slouch. Not trying to overhype him but he is far more than just a quick set of fresh legs and has a very high ceiling from what I've seen so far.

I don't see him dislodging Alf as that's the main man and we have better options out wide so I'd like to see him playing behind Alfie where I'm sure his hold up play will allow it to work. I am not saying he's gonna be Bernardo Silva and start threading passes and turning with ease, just more so if the ball gets to him in that part of the pitch he will hang on to it and bring others into the game. Think more second striker than a 10 then but either way just behind Alf.

The real competition atm is the wingers, who gets the nod out of the Campbell's. For me it's Tyreece all day, think he's so dangerous when he's running with the ball and like Corey completely fearless
    For a striker of his size he is brilliant technically and agile, but that doesn’t mean he can play number 10 as it’s a completely different position and skillset required. That’s the reason there aren’t any that look like him and he’s probably never played there. What you are describing is basically a 4-4-2 then which is how I think Appleton should set us up until Fraser and Camara return. 
    As for the wingers, Tyreece Campbell isn’t better than Chen Campbell, not even close. Chem has already shown to be more reliable in possession and have more consistent end product than him in just 1 and a half league games. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 then Tyreece would be on the right, but that’s because Chem would be the number 10 like he has been against fleetwood and Oxford. But if Leaburn and May are through the middle so it’s between the 2 Campbells, then Chem should definitely get the nod, he has more assists in 1 and half league games for us than Tyreece has in his career! 
    Yeah probably tbf or a 4411 either way I think you understand where I'm coming from in the sense I want Miles to allow May to have a bit more freedom. Seems like you also want the same but thought I expected Miles to play like David Silva haha 

I understand Chem has got the assists but Kirk also has more assists than Tyreece and I wouldn't dream of starting him over Tyreece. It's just more so the natural dribbling he has. 

On reflection though if we are going to be a possession based team then I reckon as Chem looks the more composed on the ball he may get the nod 

P.s. on a re-read of my post the top bit seems a bit snarky with the 'I am not bothered' bit. To be clear I was more so meaning it to sound in a way where we need something different to other teams rather than how reading it back it comes across a tad sassy, wasn't meant to seem that way if it did and this is why I always emphasise on body language. 

6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
    Cause it's online and I can't always decipher every post, are you implying cause I am being negative it will turn people away? If so mate that wouldn't really bother me as I am not going to start faking up a personality to get a few views. This is how I view the situation and I'm not someone who really sits on the fence about things, especially when it's about Charlton

If it's anything else do explain please 
  • edited September 2023
    So so want to be so wrong on this fella, but it alll feels as if it’s a competition to see how many days he’s going to be in the job for, I’m going for 45 days.
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

Yeah probably tbf or a 4411 either way I think you understand where I'm coming from in the sense I want Miles to allow May to have a bit more freedom. Seems like you also want the same but thought I expected Miles to play like David Silva haha 

I understand Chem has got the assists but Kirk also has more assists than Tyreece and I wouldn't dream of starting him over Tyreece. It's just more so the natural dribbling he has. 

On reflection though if we are going to be a possession based team then I reckon as Chem looks the more composed on the ball he may get the nod 

P.s. on a re-read of my post the top bit seems a bit snarky with the 'I am not bothered' bit. To be clear I was more so meaning it to sound in a way where we need something different to other teams rather than how reading it back it comes across a tad sassy, wasn't meant to seem that way if it did and this is why I always emphasise on body language. 

6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

Cause it's online and I can't always decipher every post, are you implying cause I am being negative it will turn people away? If so mate that wouldn't really bother me as I am not going to start faking up a personality to get a few views. This is how I view the situation and I'm not someone who really sits on the fence about things, especially when it's about Charlton

If it's anything else do explain please 
    No, on the contrary, I think fans will be very keen to talk to you.
    Keep enjoying what you're doing :)
  • If he doesn’t buy pints in the Oak or have a guitar I’m out