Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Would love for Scott Fraser to answer this question. 
    Was Appleton the best manager available, or the only manager that would take the job, at the salary on offer?

We know (as does the footballing world) there is no money to be made in tier 3 & 4 football, so the owners must be in it for the fun. see Wrexham. Whatever the new guys invested is lost. Any more investment will also be lost. Get used to it. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    That is the model since Roland and it continues development of young players and to sell them. Don’t give a fuck about the team the fans the club 
    No, this has been the model (bar the Premiership years) since we returned the The Valley - in truth long before that as well.
    We developed and sold Academy products to cover the recurring deficits in the years prior to promotion to the Prem in 1998 (Minto and Bowyer most notably).
    Selling young players is not the issue. It's when you sell them.
    If the timing is dictated simply by when you desperately need a cash injection, you'll go nowhere.
    If, as CM described, the plan is to hang on to them until their value's optimised for CAFC and make at least some of the cash available to strengthen the squad, that's how most EFL clubs can achieved progress and promotion. 
    They could have sold Leaburn after the takeover was completed on 19 July if they were the penny-pinchers they're accused of being. They probably won't have a choice at the end of the season if he continues his progress as he'll probably have Premier League suitors but that's fine. It should have added to his value.
    Time will tell if CM is good to his word and if Appleton can deliver as head coach but as for the owners' motives, as I've said until blue in the face, investing £10m+ in CAFC makes ZERO sense for the large shareholders. Unlike all owners for the past 10+ years (who are patently not interested in the club for money laundering purposes, expansion of a European network, asset-stripping or a vanity project) to aim for anything other than at least 1 promotion.
    That's not to say they'll throw stupid money at the squad (they evidently won't and I'm thankful for that because it often fails and you're left in deeper shit) but it should mean they'll likely provide the working capital to enable a manager to build a promotion-capable squad over time albeit, yes, selling homegrown players along the way.
    All well and good, but if they don't get fans back in the Valley. What then?

No fans = no club, so these owners do need to spend money, because even Merlin the Fucking Magician will not get much out of our weak squad.

Start so far? 

A poor transfer window, sacked Holden, shocking league form, out of 2 cups to shit L2 opposition [& conceding 7 goals in 2 games] and a new head coach who is at best, average - they have not endeared themselves to the paying faithful.

I am trying to think of ONE decision they have got right - maybe you can help on that one?
    Regards your quote,we are only out of ONE cup still have to play Sutton and Villa at home.
    Has the PJ’s ever been knockout in August? Genuinely interested in where that common misconception comes from.
  • Is he the best manager with a fruit in his name though? 
    What’s Les Berry doing these days he’d sort the defence out……..,Oh hang on a minute 😉
  • Has he resigned and taken the Blackburn job yet?

Nigel Pear son?

Yaya Banana is a 32 year old who plays for Hashtag United and is from Cameroon. Yaya is a little green but is doing his coaching badges and may be a pick in the future.
    His many brother are into coaching so there may be a bunch of them in the future.
  • I'm not quite as pessimistic as some, but I'm not exactly optimistic either. His last job was in the Championship and he did some good work with Lincoln. 

He is a better manager than Dean Holden at this stage of their respective careers, so I do think we could do worse.

But I also would have hoped we would do better. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    Just want to bump this. This is a solid squad. I would add CBT in there. Our first 11 should be one of the best on paper in the division. We haven't had our first 11 yet, I'm not entirely sure what it is or who plays where, but this is a good squad in a down year for League One.

In short: Appleton better be the man.
    Heard it all before...

We'll see them lose 2-0 to Port Vale and look shocked as to why. 
  • Welcome Michael, the pay off's good!
  • TBF to Charlton fans I think they will give Michael Appleton time; added time in the 1st half is my guess against Stevenage but I may be a tad optimistic as it could be before KO when the chants of "you don't know what you're doing" ring out.
  • I guess after all these years joking about Appleton being manager we finally have the man in place.  Good luck to him.  Can't be any worse than most of the previous 17 incumbents.
  • My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

It's true that Appleton has had success and he is meant to be a good coach, especially with young players but it doesn't scream "we've got billionaires owners with ambition and passion" rather "it's the best we can do on our self-imposed small budget as no one on the up would come so we got a journeyman in".

But on reflection none of that is Appleton's fault.

He is the manager (sod this head coach nonsense) and so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

And some good luck, with injuries and with emerging talent, is what he will need.

I also hope he can bring in his own backroom team.

There is a half decent squad here to work with when they are all fit, motivated and clear on their roles.

If Appleton can weld them into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts he might bring us some success.

But I fear success for the fans (challenging for promotion and at least a top six finish) may be be different from success for the SMT (cost savings and player sales) and Appleton will be hard pressed to  achieve both.
    Not you too Henry.
    How are cost savings and player sales, without challenging for promotion, "success" for SMT?
    You were there when we regularly sold players to plug the financial holes.
    It has to be done but it's about timing.
    SMT says they'll sell when it optimises the value to CAFC. They could have sold Leaburn already if they were penny pinchers uninterested in promotion. They didn't.
    Will they throw stupid money at a promotion challenge? I trust not because it usually backfires, the owners close the wallet permanently and the club ends up worse off.
    It takes time.

@PeanutsMolloy

My language was sloppy.

Of course the SMT would like and hope for on the field success as that will increase income

However, I believe that their priority will be staying within the budgetary limitations under which they sold the deal to the beneficial owners.

And those two may not always be mutually inclusive
    Understood and thanks for clarifying.
    But is staying within budgetary limitations agreed with owners a bad thing?
    There seems to be a presumption here that the Texas Prospectus business plan is Joshua Friedman et al's business plan.
    The Texas prospectus was targeted at small-ticket investors who most certainly would not want to or could be relied upon to invest more. Hence the nutso business plan.
    Friedman et al are not small-ticket investors.
    As experienced private equity investors, I guarantee you they will be expecting to be asked to make measured follow on investments and will anticipate doing so providing the business is heading in the right direction and the specific case is sound.
    Of course you run a business as cost-efficiently as possible but not so as to strangle it.
    CM's description of the plan of selling young players is to do so not the moment cash is desperately needed but when their value is optimised. That's only possible if the owners are prepared to make further working capital available, as we found a way of doing 1994-98.
    We'll see if he and they are true to this promise.
    Ideally, we'd want to be financially responsible AND flexible enough to invest in the playing side whenever possible.

The key difference is, as I see it, is that the owners in 94-98 and beyond, were fans so their priority was, I believe, to progress the club rather than make a profit.

Anyway, good to debate with you as always. We must have drink and put the world/club to rights sometime.
  • Has he been allowed to bring in his own staff?
    If not then definitely suggests a yes man 

• Sponsored links:

• Got a feeling he will play 4231 in his first game for us 

Watson Jones Hector Edun
    Taylor Dobson
    T.Campbell Leaburn CBT
    May 

An argument for C.Campbell in there cause he's had a good start for us (despite my Wolves mate saying he's shocking) and seems very composed on the ball. 

Could also make a case for a few others, especially Camara in the double pivot if he's back fit by then. 

Either way on the face of it, that team looks good enough to get a result, let's see if he can earn his paycheque 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I'll get behind him - not exciting - a bit meat and 2 veg but maybe that's not a bad thing - probably the most positive thing i can say really - not sure what his particular style of play is if he has one but nothing can be worse than that garnerball crap.   
    'but nothing can be worse than that garnerball crap' 

I just pray your right!
  • "On 18 January 2023, Appleton was sacked as head coach at Blackpool, seven months after his appointment, after achieving one win in eleven games, leaving them 23rd in the Championship relegation zone."
    And we're relegated later that season after MM managed 2 wins and nine loses in 14 games and was sacked. Is he considered a shit failure of a manager too? Appleton's L1 record is of more relevance.  
  • edited September 2023
    SDAddick said:
    Just want to bump this. This is a solid squad. I would add CBT in there. Our first 11 should be one of the best on paper in the division. We haven't had our first 11 yet, I'm not entirely sure what it is or who plays where, but this is a good squad in a down year for League One.

In short: Appleton better be the man.
    Heard it all before...

We'll see them lose 2-0 to Port Vale and look shocked as to why. 
    And before the season started, Port Vale fans would’ve swapped their squad for ours.

We have the better players. We have to have a manager/coach that makes them the better team.
    We've had the 'best first 11 on paper' for like 3 years now. 

Half of the players are in middling League One and Two sides now. 
  • vffvff
    edited September 2023
    Will be impressed if MA is still around at the end of the season. Will need to be backed in the Jan window for any kind of success this season. For any chance of that happening, MA will need to do well in the next few months - with a not a great hand dealt to him squad wise. 

Likely if top 6 looks a long shot, then Scott & Methven may claim that a end of season window is better. Then MA will have to show enough not to get fired (to offload blame for the US investors). That may be tough with the shallow depth of squad that may struggle further as a long season progresses. 
    First job for Appleton is to sort the defence out. If he can do that, that would be a start. 
  • Very Meh appointment, kinda feel sorry for him as barely anyone is happy with this and itl all go to shit in record time I think. Probably not very expensive wages, which means a not very expensive pay off at Easter. Its all very bland and does not make me want to start taking up every other weekend with football.