Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• For me, the acceptability of the Appleton appointment is down to whether Fanny has tingled. Or not. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Is he being allowed to bring his own staff in? 

A very good question :)
  • If most Charlton fans aren’t keen on him then it’s a yes from me cos usually every chump that turns up is smashing great super when they’re in general utter shit .

the upside is when I join new WhatsApp groups, that are set up for kids crap,  people who don’t know me will be a bit scared of me cos I look ugly and double hard 
  • How would you feel if he wasn't our new manager and just a coach who was going to take all the flack that the real manager should get?

Seems a pretty credible coach to me.
  • SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

Using under 21 as the benchmark:
    Isted-26
    AMB-24
    Jones-27
    TT-27
    Hector-31
    Ness-21 Young player
    Assimwe-18 Young player
    T Watson-26 ("Watson 26" bring back some bad memories)
    Edun-25
    Dobbo-25
    Camara-26
    May-30
    Fraser-28
    Leaburn-19 Young player
    Taylor-22 
    Abankwah-19 Young Player
    Kirk-25
    McGrandles-27
    T. Campbell-19 Young Player
    Aneke-30
    CBT-25
    L Watson-22
    Deji-20 next week Young player
    C. Campbell-20 Young Player
    Chin-20 Young player
    Kanu-18 Young player
    Tedic-23 
    Anderson-18 Young player

There are some young players in the squad, but it's by no means "the only players we have." Just because Holden decided to start five teenagers a couple of weeks ago doesn't mean that's what our squad is made up of. Also, looking at those young players, Chin won't make many league matchday squads, I think Deji and Kanu will struggle to make the squad. I wonder if it will be two from three of Assimwe, Watson, and Abankwah, which would mean another 18 year old missing out. 

What you're left with is some young players, some predigious, like Miles and TC, to a lesser extent (at this moment) Anderson and Asiimwe (could maybe put Ness in there). C Campbell has looked very good since joining. Ness is still younger and less experienced than many realize. But I would say about half of our young players are on the fringes of the squad. 
    Some of the CL members are getting on a bit and anyone under age 30 looks like a young player  :)
    I thought my post looked a bit wrong when I wrote 'Colin' Appleton.  

Hang on I thought it's Michael who the hell is Colin?  Googled it - he passed through Charlton in 1966!

• Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that tattoo on Michael’s right arm reads’CAFC / Mum’, so surely that’s a positive.

• Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that tattoo on Michael’s right arm reads’CAFC / Mum’, so surely that’s a positive.
    COYR-CEQ maybe 
  • Valley11 said:
    Is he being allowed to bring his own staff in? 

A very good question :)
    In his last 2 roles at Blackpool and Lincoln MA had David Kerslake and Richard O'Donnell on his coaching staff............... O'Donnell is a GK coach...... from what I can make out they're both currently available.......
  • I reckon this has been lined up for a while, hence Jack Payne made a quick dash.
    Exactly what I thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having slept on this appointment I am still shocked.

In fact having been a fan since 1967, this appointment is probably most underwhelming appointment I can ever remember.

Appleton has been a figure of ridicule on CL for so many years, that for the board to actually appoint him reminds me of when Richard Murray appointed Dowie all them years ago. Only worse, far worse.

I hope I am wrong, but I cannot see this ending well.
  • If it hasnt been mentioned already, these two, David Kerslake and Richard O’Donnell seem to to have made up his coaching staff at Lincoln and BLackpool.

Lost in the comments and as the question is being asked. All left Blackpool at the same time so assume they'll be coming in at some point.
  • edited September 2023
    Very unexciting appointment to say the least but in the list of poor CAFC decisions over the last 15 years I doubt it would make the top 20 so I'm going to back him for now and hope that he is the right man for this particular job.

His big disadvantage, as a new manager, is that, given the way the new regime has started the season, he will get a very short honeymoon period from the fans.
      This could be a real issue. And it will be understandable from a fans point of view.
     I think Airman mentioned a lack of leaders on the pitch, and I have to say I agree. There is far too much inexperienced or loaned personnel within this group.
     Now that might be alright in many situations but toxicity levels may well hit the roof should this project continue to go sour.Things could go from bad to much worse very quickly if we lack the heads on the pitch to keep a lid on it.

• SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

Do you know that for a fact or did you just swallow the blurb the club put out ?

Of  course he has to work with young players......that's all we have. And until January he'll have no influence on bringing in any loans. And after that no real scope unless a couple go back. He w9nt really have a say about player incomings until June next year. And then he'll have plenty of options as we have the usual 10-12 player churn. 

Using under 21 as the benchmark:
    Isted-26
    AMB-24
    Jones-27
    TT-27
    Hector-31
    Ness-21 Young player
    Assimwe-18 Young player
    T Watson-26 ("Watson 26" bring back some bad memories)
    Edun-25
    Dobbo-25
    Camara-26
    May-30
    Fraser-28
    Leaburn-19 Young player
    Taylor-22 
    Abankwah-19 Young Player
    Kirk-25
    McGrandles-27
    T. Campbell-19 Young Player
    Aneke-30
    CBT-25
    L Watson-22
    Deji-20 next week Young player
    C. Campbell-20 Young Player
    Chin-20 Young player
    Kanu-18 Young player
    Tedic-23 
    Anderson-18 Young player

There are some young players in the squad, but it's by no means "the only players we have." Just because Holden decided to start five teenagers a couple of weeks ago doesn't mean that's what our squad is made up of. Also, looking at those young players, Chin won't make many league matchday squads, I think Deji and Kanu will struggle to make the squad. I wonder if it will be two from three of Assimwe, Watson, and Abankwah, which would mean another 18 year old missing out. 

What you're left with is some young players, some predigious, like Miles and TC, to a lesser extent (at this moment) Anderson and Asiimwe (could maybe put Ness in there). C Campbell has looked very good since joining. Ness is still younger and less experienced than many realize. But I would say about half of our young players are on the fringes of the squad. 
    Some of the CL members are getting on a bit and anyone under age 30 looks like a young player  :)
    I thought my post looked a bit wrong when I wrote 'Colin' Appleton.  

Hang on I thought it's Michael who the hell is Colin?  Googled it - he passed through Charlton in 1966!

Formerly had a successful career at Leicester City along with Ian King both signed for us at the end of their careers. It didn't change much we still struggled at the bottom end of the 2nd division that season.    
  • edited September 2023
    In my view are three things that a prospective new manager can offer which would dampen the initial clamour and frustration at our disappointing start to the season and the growing question marks around the new ownership's approach and buy them some time to work with the squad and implement their new methods:

1. A profile/vision - someone who fans could see has the credentials to grow us and to re-build following a blueprint (sort of how Garner was intended to be, in our current state perhaps someone like Richardson, Bonner or Brady could have been realistic appointments that may have ticked this box - Buckingham certainly would have been a wildcard).

2. A unifying and galvanising force - someone who would either benefit from the "he gets us" reassurance because of a past association with the club or who has the charisma to get immediate buy in because they have the ability to talk and to build immediate rapport (obviously Powell and Bowyer would come into play here, otherwise from non-CAFC connections, Moore would be obviously in this bracket).

3. Win games. Immediately.

Unfortunately for Michael, his approach is limited to #3. Whether that's fair or not, let's see. Good luck!

I think ultimately we will regret not having the bravery or stability to appoint Liam Manning when he was available last December - Holden is an honest man and I think although ultimately limited, he's been scapegoated by the ownership for their own poor start. Holden was their man, but a poor choice as anything other than a caretaker. Early decision-making signs from our overlords are not great.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope questions are asked asap about his coaching team as if they put people on him again like with previous managers i really give up with this ownership already

no manager will ever succeed with us unless they are properly backed and supported not just with players but to know they have people they trust know and can rely on behind them in the coaching setup
  • seth plum said:
    I have watched his interview, heard what he has to say, and read comments about what he is supposed to be good at.

One has been good at working with and developing young players.

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chin, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

In terms of Charlton Athletic’s need, unearthing and deploying our young talent has been going fine thank you very much, what on earth can Appleton add to what’s been going on already?

I call bollocks on the work with youngsters mantra, unless I am missing something obvious.

No Appleton, it is not about getting with the project and agreeing with where the opaque ownership want us to go, the so called developing youngsters. 

No Mr Appleton, your entire raison d’etre at Charlton is to WIN.

Starting away at Stevenage on Saturday, then Wycombe at home, then Shrewsbury away, then Exeter and your old club Blackpool both at home, then Derby away, Reading at home and another of your old clubs Lincoln City away.

Appleton you’re not needed to help the development of our youngsters, that is bollocks being thrown around by the Shamocracy salivating about getting our young players to a point of being able to sell them. They might want you to fatten up the cash cows, but we the supporters want you to win matches, over and over again.

Get those wins and a conversation can start. Lose or draw at Stevenage and in my eyes you will have to have a Rhino hide (which judging by that vapid interview I think you already have) because I will not be the only one wanting you gone.
    Would you prefer they appointed someone with no track record of working with and developing young players?
    I think the the best suggestion I’ve heard is taking break and seeing how it goes for ten matches or so. 
    Judging by the start to season there’s no easy fix unfortunately. 
  • seth plum said:
    I have watched his interview, heard what he has to say, and read comments about what he is supposed to be good at.

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chinn, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

In terms of Charlton Athletic’s need, unearthing and deploying our young talent has been going fine thank you very much, what on earth can Appleton add to what’s been going on already?

I call bollocks on the work with youngsters mantra, unless I am missing something obvious.

No Appleton, it is not about getting with the project and agreeing with where the opaque ownership want us to go, the so called developing youngsters. 

Starting away at Stevenage on Saturday, then Wycombe at home, then Shrewsbury away, then Exeter and your old club Blackpool both at home, then Derby away, Reading at home and another of your old clubs Lincoln City away.

Appleton you’re not needed to help the development of our youngsters, that is bollocks being thrown around by the Shamocracy salivating about getting our young players to a point of being able to sell them. They might want you to fatten up the cash cows, but we the supporters want you to win matches, over and over again.

Get those wins and a conversation can start. Lose or draw at Stevenage and in my eyes you will have to have a Rhino hide (which judging by that vapid interview I think you already have) because I will not be the only one wanting you gone.
    I make no value judgement on MA, but there is a big difference between producing shovel-ready kids from the academy, and actually developing a successful first team around young players.
    Interesting.
    Can you tell me more about this? This big difference?
    Shall we start from the notion that a successful first team is a winning first team?
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Like Elerewe, Mitchell, Chin, Henry, Anderson, Campbell, Asimwe, Maynard Brewer, Leaburn, Ness, Kanu (and others on the way like Bower, Rylah, Laqeretabua etc) have they not been worked with, developed and given their chances already?

Yeah right.

Would you prefer they appointed someone with no track record of working with and developing young players?
    I think the the best suggestion I’ve heard is taking break and seeing how it goes for ten matches or so. 
    A track record is so in the past.
    As I have repeatedly said across a number of threads it is wins in the future I would like to become our track record.
    I am fed up with all this project stuff, direction of travel stuff, working with youngsters stuff, but I would be mightily cheered by winning the next eight games and eventual automatic promotion.
    Wouldn’t everybody be?
  • I'm one of the 60+
    For me the appointment of MA is a logical one for the SMT as I think the vision sold to the owners who invested is to bring our youth development players into the shopping window to sell on.
    Experienced loanees are there to steady the ship in terms of sailing a path safely through league 1 waters and to help guide and develop  the young players.
    And if we strike lucky and manage a promotion then that will be an unexpected bonus.
    So who better than a manager who has experience of this?
    I expect bonuses and fees will be invoiced to the club by the SMT for all sorts of "Services" that the owners will not question unless the whole plan goes belly up.
    I never thought I would EVER be this cynical and suspicious but MS has opened my eyes to how easy it is to extract money from a business.
    I really hope I am wrong.
    All I want to do is watch us play football with the sole target each season being to get promoted and be successful on the pitch.

• Well trust Michael Appleton settles in very quickly. Hope within hope he can bring his own staff in to work with.
    Hotel or living out of a suitcase can be no fun with no one around you you can trust.
    Off to watch Stevenage today is at least a start but who goes with him Scott?
    Here once again lies the problem SMT.

Best of luck Michael you are going to need it.

• seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Eh?

Yeah right.

A track record is so in the past.
    As I have repeatedly said across a number of threads it is wins in the future I would like to become our track record.
    I am fed up with all this project stuff, direction of travel stuff, working with youngsters stuff, but I would be mightily cheered by winning the next eight games and eventual automatic promotion.
    Wouldn’t everybody be?
    Sure thing Seth, no worries. Let me just hop into my Time Machine and take a little jaunt into the future then I can come back and tell you which of the possibilities works out best....

• edited September 2023
    Well trust Michael Appleton settles in very quickly. Hope within hope he can bring his own staff in to work with.
    Hotel or living out of a suitcase can be no fun with no one around you you can trust.
    Off to watch Stevenage today is at least a start but who goes with him Scott?
    Here once again lies the problem SMT.

Best of luck Michael you are going to need it.

Good point.
    Maybe Anthony Hayes will be at Stevenage with MA.
    They probably need to do lots of this type of thing too from their scouting and in the coming weeks and months -

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis