Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• I think this is the most apathetic I’ve ever felt about a Charlton managerial appointment. Even with Fraeye and Luzon I was enraged or laughing my arse off at how ridiculous it was. This is just nothing 
    Was Holden any different?

Genuine question.

All feels very similar to me - average lower league manager who's supposed to get the best from an underfunded squad.  Not exciting, but not ridiculous.

Rinse, repeat.  As you say, all really nothingy.
  • Can’t stand Evens but I would sooner him as our manager.Sorry to say I  Can’t wait to see Jake Forster caskey come and show what we chucked away next week. 
  • The ongoing nightmare that is Charlton Athletic continues, I'll support the bloke but doesn't make this appointment feel good or positive in my eyes 
  • Someone once said it is more important to be a lucky manager and maybe he will be. 

Leaburn back, Fraser not far off CBT & Dobson in form, C Campbell is starting to hit the ground running and other options that signed up after DH got the boot gives him a great deal more chance to succeed than Dean Holden got.    

The only nemesis the defence. Get it sorted and he could gain some kudos.

Not my choice but want him to do well obviously and if you can achieve no lower than 12th position Michael I will be happy with money in the bank.    
  • MrBurns said:
    He's got experience of League 2 which is handy because that's where this club is heading 
    He got better experience in league one done very well
    at Oxford and Lincoln … sometimes it’s horses for courses … first we have to get out league one think he can do that 
    Charlton's level ...

• Can’t wait for Ronnie Moore to come on saying what a good appointment it is. I’d would have sooner of had the real Ronnie Moore as manager. 
    I would rather have you as the manager than Michale F*****g Appleton
    Or would you have preferred Michael F*****g Appleton ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Realistically, what were people expecting....we were never going to attract the likes of Wilder or Jones as I'm sure they will be looking for a championship job....a league 1 appointment will either be young but inexperienced, or more experienced but with some blemishes on their CV....pretty sure you could substitute Appleton's name with any of the names that appeared in the betting and the reaction would be the same. 
  • swordfish said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Redhenry said:
    U just couldn't make this sh!t up, been a running joke on here for years, now it's happened ffs!
    Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's the Law of Attraction. All those 'funny' memes being posted so many times, for so many years  ....... has caused this to happen.

So folks, it's all YOUR own fault! :neutral:

Bad Korma 
    You won't curry favour with me! :)

• Can’t wait for Ronnie Moore to come on saying what a good appointment it is. I’d would have sooner of had the real Ronnie Moore as manager. 
    I would rather have you as the manager than Michale F*****g Appleton
    Or would you have preferred Michael F*****g Appleton ?
    No, he is also a shit football manager
  • edited September 2023
    T_C_E said:
    SporadicAddick said: It 
    I'm not telling him to his face that he's shit

That’s what @LouisMend gets paid the big bucks for! 😉😂

If this picture had been shown for the last few years, half the blokes on here would've  started a bromance with MA.

Not saying 50% of CL male members are gay(8% at a guess) but they are into stigmatophilia. 
  • Below average appointment for a below average league one club, so depressing. Genuinely hope he turns this club around but just can’t see it.
  • Can’t wait for these words from Appleton to appear on web-site .
    I wonder what owners he will speak to. Perhaps that's why it's taken so long, he's spoken to each one individually.
  • mendonca said:
    It's the pond we're finishing in sadly. To be expected.

Get Bowyer back with his rod.
  • kentred2 said:
    Oh well, there it is. Young players and academy focus 
    Yes. In a nutshell. 
    The academy is not outstanding. It’s just the best potential money earner.

Yes there it is, they were never going to spend the money needed to get promotion, they are only interested in loading the first team with kids they can sell on for a profit in the ridiculous quest for break even. I must admit feel completely duped, I thought they were going to have a go this year, another set of chancers, lets face it the only way we will be anywhere near going up this year will be if we get very lucky with the youngsters performing and May has a 20/25 goal season. That's if we don't sell players in Jan of course.
  • He will get my 100% support for now as like every other Charlton fan I am desperate for success but feels like the perfect hire to guide our talented but inexperienced squad to another mid table finish.
  • I've skim read most posts, has his coaching team been announced
  • Sponsored links:

• average league one manager for a club that can't have ambitions above being an average league one club. If rumours are to be believed, good football and good charlton people had a quick look at the vacancy and steered well clear. As prague said - we're asking two individuals to completely inverse their reputation for us to be a success. I'm just sad more than anything else.
  • It will be interesting to see how Hector & Co play in the next game as you can't help wondering if they were putting it all in for Holden. 
  • T_C_E said:
    SporadicAddick said: It 
    I'm not telling him to his face that he's shit

That’s what @LouisMend gets paid the big bucks for! 😉😂

If this picture had been shown for the last few years, half the blokes on here would've  started a bromance with MA.

Not saying 50% of CL male members are gay(8% at a guess) but they are into stigmatophilia. 
    Is that where they get the word 'stigma' from?

Answers on a postcard, please ........ and no, @Stig ..... no need to answer, just tongue in cheek :)

• edited September 2023
    Can’t stand Evens but I would sooner him as our manager.Sorry to say I  Can’t wait to see Jake Forster caskey come and show what we chucked away next week. 

No chance for Jake?
    Red card and suspended after a coming together with Rafferty against Pompey.
  • jdsd42 said:
    Who knows he may be just what we need !!
    Appleton wouldn't have been my first choice, but if he can put a bit of backbone into our bunch of players, or at least organise them into a properly set up, tactically aware and organised team ...... then well, you know, it could turn out better than most of us could dream of.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, blah, blah. He'll either be gone within a few months or turn the team round to rescue our season.

• I think this is the most apathetic I’ve ever felt about a Charlton managerial appointment. Even with Fraeye and Luzon I was enraged or laughing my arse off at how ridiculous it was. This is just nothing 
    Was Holden any different?

Genuine question.

All feels very similar to me - average lower league manager who's supposed to get the best from an underfunded squad.  Not exciting, but not ridiculous.

Rinse, repeat.  As you say, all really nothingy.
    I felt relatively hopeful with Holden. Looked like he’d had a good run with Bristol City until injuries killed their season and he’d taken some time to review and take stock. He didn’t have a huge CV and left a fair bit to assume. Appleton hasn’t really done well since 2016 and I feel like we know what we’re getting. Who knows, we thought Bowyer was a stopgap and that turned out alright  
  • I suppose he'll be cheap to get rid of when the time comes but meantime I support the club, regardless of the players, coaches, owners or manager and that doesn't change.