Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Well it won’t attract any additional fans to the next game will it. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    who will he bring in as his number two I wonder? Who does he normally work with?
    David Kerslake and Richard O'Donnell.

Certainly one for the "I forgot he played for Charlton" thread.  At least he knows the club 😉
    O'Donnell is still registered as a player and is back @ Blackpool after re-joining them in the Summer, so wouldnt expect him here.
    Confusingly it's not the same person.  Unless he was a coach at Lincoln whilst playing for Bradford.
    Bloody hell... How many O'Donnell's did Blackpool want? ;)
  • _MrDick said:
    I said a week or so ago that my gut was Michael Appleton. Wouldn’t have been my choice but I wasn’t on the recruitment panel. Interestingly, panel included Simon Lenighan. Would he have been at Oxford when Appleton was manager? Funnily enough, I was stuck in traffic down Avery Hill Road this morning and I could have sworn that I saw Appleton turning into Sparrows Lane 🤔. 

As the new manager of our club, I wish him all the best and he’s got 2 years to get us promoted or not see us relegated. I’m not one of these people who’s gonna say that’s me done but I’ll definitely be on my toes if the results don’t improve. I just hope he’s a miracle worker. 
    Two years? Bowyer was the last manager who was given two years, and before that it was Powell. He will be lucky to get until Christmas.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    who will he bring in as his number two I wonder? Who does he normally work with?
    David Kerslake and Richard O'Donnell.

Certainly one for the "I forgot he played for Charlton" thread.  At least he knows the club 😉
    O'Donnell is still registered as a player and is back @ Blackpool after re-joining them in the Summer, so wouldnt expect him here.
    Confusingly it's not the same person.  Unless he was a coach at Lincoln whilst playing for Bradford.
    Bloody hell... How many O'Donnell's did Blackpool want? ;)
    They had to sack one to make room for the other one ;-) 
  • edited September 2023
    A cruel joke but at least it will be a short lived one.
  • Relegation fight incoming 
  • Oh jeez........good luck with that chaps
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not telling him to his face that he's shit

Looks like he should be coaching St Helens
  • Even the Cowleys would have been better. Has Appleton ever got a side promoted? Genuine question 
    Once in eleven years, Oxford as fourth tier runners-up in 2016. By contrast Danny Cowley managed numerous non-league promotions before two titles in three seasons at Lincoln.
  • edited September 2023
    Does he sign players who are fit. ?
    When he signs them do they play ?
    Do they play in the position he signed them for. ?

Yes, to these 3 already makes him ahead of the previous 6 Managers.

• Not bothered to be honest , there will be a new one along in 6 months .
    Just win some Bloody games !
  • If this management team do not play May and Leaburn together I going to eat hot nuts every game.
  • I wish him well but its not an inspiring appointment.

I will stay away from home games until the end of the January window at the earliest - will not support these owners until they genuinely put some real money into the team.

Appleton has no chance to do anything this side of Xmas - fact we have shed 7 goals in 2 games to L2 opposition and we were apparently shocking away at Crawley the other day, says his priority must be the defence.

Appleton may steady the ship and results may improve, but the playing squad is too weak

• And to be honest, no interest in what he says in videos about his tactics, I thought Ben Garner's Spotify interview about his philosophy was brilliant and looked how that turned out 
  • Sponsored links:

• Omg. 2 year deal. Shows how much faith the new owners have in him. 
    I will give him a chance and support let’s hope we have do don’t have another Nigel Atkinson. Yikes we shall see.  I do think the new owners are chancers. 🙁🙁
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    And to be honest, no interest in what he says in videos about his tactics, I thought Ben Garner's Spotify interview about his philosophy was brilliant and looked how that turned out 
    Talking about tactics is all well and good

But the one thing everyone seems to forget, is the fact there is another bloke, in the opposite dugout, thinking up his own way to beat you, which may be (and often is) even better than your ideas. 
  • Positives:

Works well with young players and we have a young squad

Gets good loans from PL teams as they trust him to develop their youngsters (not really a positive for now but for future transfer windows)

More experience at league 1 level than our previous managers 

Negatives:

His record is pretty average. Only one promotion and it was a while back in league 2. Mixed record outside of that, but he has worked at a few basket case clubs.

Other candidates with recent league 1 promotion were available, Richardson, Bowyer, Moore etc. Does look like a bit of a lack of ambition/underwhelming appointment 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    And to be honest, no interest in what he says in videos about his tactics, I thought Ben Garner's Spotify interview about his philosophy was brilliant and looked how that turned out 
    Talking about tactics is all well and good

But the one thing everyone seems to forget, is the fact there is another bloke, in the opposite dugout, thinking up his own way to beat you, which may be (and often is) even better than your ideas. 
    FA, I've always known you to be a very positive poster on this site, and the fact you are down about this appointment shows how bad it's gotten!
  • Sounds like the cheapest option going. I guess with this squad he will struggle as the other. 
  • I'm not telling him to his face that he's shit

Tattoo reads “What kind of slime would I manage?”