Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Who did we honestly expect? We’re a fruit cake of a club. I’m a bit meh about his appointment. Maybe we need to lower our standards. We are just a league one club now. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The pool of managers we're fishing in is really poor. Hardly surprising when you've sacked your own man after five games and built a rickety squad, but we should expect better. 

This new ownership SMT and ownership have not endeared themselves to me. 
    This sums it up perfectly for me. Appleton is a poor choice. Can't see it going well.
  • Options
    Trying to check with my Lincoln contact, but if I remember correctly he said Appleton wanted them to play out from the back with possession a' la Garner? If so I am concerned that our defending/error rate would not fit this approach, and  if done slowly negates the pace we have with Tyreece, CBT , May and others.   Is this  reasoning correct?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    What are the chances of the fanbase being patient if there isn’t an immediate manager bounce?
    Whether we like the appointment or not, I think we should try to give him a chance. I’m putting the pitchfork back in the shed. 
    unfortunately for him I think he's going to be afforded very little time to make an impact 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    That coaches voice video with him talking about 4231 is interesting.... not especially sure that would fit our squad especially with May and Leaburn who should be a pretty interesting strike partnership to see develop. 
    The formation that has served us so well.....

Personally I don't think it's an option with this squad , I think it's got to be a front 2 of Leaburn and May and figure out the rest from there. 
    I think he played 4-4-2 for Blackpool last season. While Fraser is out I think that’s quite a good option for us so I hope he starts with that 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I'm not underwhelmed, but nor am I whelmed

It's just another gap-filler who we'll be paying off within 6 months.

So as long as he can organise a defence then I suppose it's an okay appointment.

The transfer window said enough about these new owners and regime.
    Aaaaagh!
  • Options
    🤡 show 
  • Options
    I don't think any appointment we would make could be inspiring. Appleton should start with a blank slate as far as  far as we are concerned and he will either sink or swim. The norm is that he will sink but we need to support him until that happens. Maybe he will be the an we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    That coaches voice video with him talking about 4231 is interesting.... not especially sure that would fit our squad especially with May and Leaburn who should be a pretty interesting strike partnership to see develop. 

Personally I don't think it's an option with this squad , I think it's got to be a front 2 of Leaburn and May and figure out the rest from there. 
    This!
  • Options
    Uninspiring choice and a mark of where we are as a club. 
  • Options
    A real statement on intent from the GOF
  • Options
    As a Charlton fan, I will give him my full support, that is what real FANS do, all those that do not, are not really fans are they?
  • Options
    👎
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh the irony. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I think he played 4-4-2 for Blackpool last season. While Fraser is out I think that’s quite a good option for us so I hope he starts with that 

I'd take that definitely with Chem Campbell and CBT wide , Dobson and whoever is fit in the middle. 
  • Options
    I said a week or so ago that my gut was Michael Appleton. Wouldn’t have been my choice but I wasn’t on the recruitment panel. Interestingly, panel included Simon Lenighan. Would he have been at Oxford when Appleton was manager? Funnily enough, I was stuck in traffic down Avery Hill Road this morning and I could have sworn that I saw Appleton turning into Sparrows Lane 🤔. 

As the new manager of our club, I wish him all the best and he’s got 2 years to get us promoted or not see us relegated. I’m not one of these people who’s gonna say that’s me done but I’ll definitely be on my toes if the results don’t improve. I just hope he’s a miracle worker. 
  • Options
    Don't read up on Wikipedia it is so depressing. 
  • Options
    A downgrade on holden. If we lose at Stevenage he will be in trouble already. 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Whoever first posted this as a joke, i hope you're happy with yourself. 
    Not really. Surprised people are still posting it all these years later.
  • Options
    Might aswell have stayed with Holden, rather than all this fuckin about imo

Still 100% support though
  • Options
    Unbelievable, you couldn’t make it up!

Shall I start the  ‘Appleton Out’  thread?

Having said that and being aware of the club we’ve become, not convinced we could have got anyone who we might consider to be better or who would want to work with us, even taking into consideration, money being thrown at the job!