Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Can’t wait for Ronnie Moore to come on saying what a good appointment it is. I’d would have sooner of had the real Ronnie Moore as manager. 
    I would rather have you as the manager than Michale F*****g Appleton
  • Who knows he may be just what we need !!!
  • Fairly predictable for a variety of reasons not least the Oxford connection. As has been said, it's an uninspiring choice assuming there was actually a choice. The whole recruitment process looks to have been a mess and something of a scatter gun approach and he clearly wasn't even their first choice.
    I'm not expecting things to improve, at least he's used to not staying around for long.
    I hope he's proves me wrong and does a good job.
  • Redhenry said:
    U just couldn't make this sh!t up, been a running joke on here for years, now it's happened ffs!
    Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's the Law of Attraction. All those 'funny' memes being posted so many times, for so many years  ....... has caused this to happen.

So folks, it's all YOUR own fault! :neutral:

• Think I will go back to bed
  • Oggy Red said:
    Redhenry said:
    U just couldn't make this sh!t up, been a running joke on here for years, now it's happened ffs!
    Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's the Law of Attraction. All those 'funny' memes being posted so many times, for so many years  ....... has caused this to happen.

So folks, it's all YOUR own fault! :neutral:

Bad Korma 
  • Does he sign players?

No
  • Sponsored links:

• It's the pond we're finishing in sadly. To be expected.
  • I look forward to coming back on here in May to say 'I told you so' when we've pissed the league. 
    (I'm also confident this comment will be entirely forgotten long before then.)
  • I think this is the worst possible appointment.  I'm going to moan on here for the rest of the day but in the ground, he has my backing.  I do not want him to fail but think he will, if he serves me some humble pie, I will gladly eat it!!!
  • Not an inspiring choice, but we all need to get behind him and give him a chance. I really hope it works out. I hoped he is given some time because there is an awful lot to sort out and we desperately need some stability.

Welcome, Michael.
  • 5/1 against promotion. Paddy Power. 
    No change. 
  • 6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
  • edited September 2023
    For all his experience has he ever got a team promoted out of League 1?

He took Lincoln to the play-off and over achieved with the players he had in League 1.
    Promoted with a young Oxford side from league 2 and did well the following season.

Nigel Adkins had two League 1* promotions on his CV with a super talented Southampton side and Scunthorpe which was more of an achievement as they did not have the future internationals that the saints had.

Talk is the cheap option and even in a week, can Appleton set up a defence to go to Stevenage and get at least a draw if not a win.

Play 4-4-2 in the first away game with May and Leaburn the 2 up front and the 4 being as flexible as possible but if we need both Dobson and Terry Taylor sitting as 6's and being holding midfielders to protect our shaky CB'S. So be it.

Work the players morning(pitch) and afternoon (classroom with a board )until they understand how to play as a team.
    And how to link up, this should be the basics of football whether kids or elite Football.
    Jesus, part time coaches would love to have the potential time that professional club's have with their players. Two evening training sessions a week and only one if midweek league match or cup game.
    Different world.

Results business and that will determine if Appleton is still here by the January window. 

* may have been league 2 but can't be arsed to check 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Gawd help us ...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t wait for these words from Appleton to appear on web-site .
    'it's a massive challenge'
    He's a master of understatement. Unless that's a Kirk quote, in which case there will be no challenge at all.
  • Not sure why he's "Head Coach" rather than the Manager, is there much of a difference?  Does it just mean he has no control over who comes and goes , playing staff wise? All we can do at this point is wish him success. I think we have the players, mostly.
  • Think I will go back to bed
    To dream of Michael Appleton 
  • edited September 2023
    I feel that all the years we’ve posted that Appleton meme on here is finally coming home to roost.

Maybe we start posting Pep Guardiola memes from this point on….
  • Can’t wait for these words from Appleton to appear on web-site .
    I see you only get one chip now. Symbolic.
  • Interesting that he's been announced as "Head Coach" rather than "Manager".
    Could other managers have turned us down because the SMT reduced the power/responsibility of the role?
  • 6 league games in and I already feel done. Same feeling as when you knew Jacko, Garner, Adkins and Holdings time was up.

I am expecting the worst new manager bounce we have ever had in recent history. The two year contract suggests they are expecting him to fail/considering sacking him if it goes wrong. 

Failing to see why these new owners aren't getting s**t like the rat did. They are no different and maybe even worse in terms of ambition 
    ....and a 3 year contract would have made all the difference would it?

Contracts don't seem to be worth the paper they're written on these days.
  • limeygent said:
    Not sure why he's "Head Coach" rather than the Manager, is there much of a difference?  Does it just mean he has no control over who comes and goes , playing staff wise? All we can do at this point is wish him success. I think we have the players, mostly.
    Pretty much, works with the players he’s given 
  • I can’t work out why they bothered sacking Holden wasting more of the clubs money money to get another manger in. That there probably going to sack before end of season the fans weren’t asking for it so soon. So why was it pressure from the Texas shareholders.