Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Holden under pressure?

Comments

• Options
    I say feck the results. Keep him and see what happens. I still believe that there's not many managers out there, that could do a much better with our squad (that Charlton could afford). 
    Thank god you're not in charge then 
  • Options
    He is definitely under pressure, but as has been said, once again we find ourselves in the middle of the question "what manager could get anything out of this team" - a place we've been to many times before. I don't think Holden is good enough, you have to question the training methods with the amount of errors we see every game. It's indefensible 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    He is definitely under pressure, but as has been said, once again we find ourselves in the middle of the question "what manager could get anything out of this team" - a place we've been to many times before. I don't think Holden is good enough, you have to question the training methods with the amount of errors we see every game. It's indefensible 
    The defence we have is what you end up with when you try to do things on the cheap & don’t invest. Not one defender at the club cost a fee (Even Edun supposedly joined us recently on a free with Blackburn only due money if we go up).

It obviously makes sense to snap up good players for free if they’re available BUT the majority of successful clubs tend to also invest to bring in their/the best players rather than solely rely on freebies (take a look at the team currently top of the championship for a good example of this).
  • Options
    Is Holden a man under pressure?  Undoubtedly, yes - just turn down the sound and watch his body language during his post-match interview 

Whether that is self-induced or due to external influences or a combination of both is a good question.
  • Options
    I'm confident more now than ever that someone's put a curse on us/the valley. Similar to Barry Fry pissing in all four corners of the pitch at Birmingham, I believe Holden needs to do something similar to lift the curse and save his job. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    If Jackson has started to come good at Wimbledon then isn’t there something in giving people time?
    Yes but only if they are any good 
    Two wins, two draws. Third place. 
  • Options
    In Holdens defence he definitely improved results when he came in last season. We could really do with another loan like Rak Saki to make the difference in the final third 
  • Options
    Squad is thin but he’s floundering 
    all the positive bluster is horseshit 
  • Options
    Course he is but people will back him up because he’s a nice bloke . He’ll be gone by Christmas 
    He did okay last season, his hands are tied behind his back like plod are arresting him.
    Give him time and the dough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    We've had a succession of mediocre managers - none of them have done much since they left. Whatever the squad shortcomings they're hardly helped by the managers we've had.

I don’t think Pep could do much with recent squads they can only work with the players at their disposal after all.
    I'm sorry but Holden has to take some of the responsibility for our failings. 
    Oh don’t apologise and I’m not disputing that Holden has to take some responsibility but my point is it can’t always be the Managers fault we’re a mid table L1 team with at least half of todays squad no better than that level. It would be even less than that if some of the recent signings and youngsters had improved the quality.
    Whatever the weakness of our squad the manager doesn't appear to be doing a great job either. He's a mediocre manager with a mediocre squad.
    If he doesn’t get some results soon he could be gone before Xmas, Garner went beginning December who would you realistically like to see replace him?
    Who is to say we'll get ANOTHER strange appointment.  I am sure Holden was their choice.  Personally I like him but has been short changed.
    A bit like me in a boozer with you actually <3
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    We've had a succession of mediocre managers - none of them have done much since they left. Whatever the squad shortcomings they're hardly helped by the managers we've had.

I don’t think Pep could do much with recent squads they can only work with the players at their disposal after all.
    I'm sorry but Holden has to take some of the responsibility for our failings. 
    Oh don’t apologise and I’m not disputing that Holden has to take some responsibility but my point is it can’t always be the Managers fault we’re a mid table L1 team with at least half of todays squad no better than that level. It would be even less than that if some of the recent signings and youngsters had improved the quality.
    Whatever the weakness of our squad the manager doesn't appear to be doing a great job either. He's a mediocre manager with a mediocre squad.
    If he doesn’t get some results soon he could be gone before Xmas, Garner went beginning December who would you realistically like to see replace him?
    Steve Evans - don't particularly like him but think he could at least set the team up a bit better. 

Hopefully Holden can turn things around.
    All day long, he upsets people and at this level gets results.
    I realise he is not everybody's cup of tea but his overall record is good.
  • Options
    The problem with Holden is that he has no track record to suggest he might be cut out for this job..or any job in football management?
    He is a big gamble.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the fella but there's no pedigree here.

The current board's fault, back the geezer.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Squad is thin but he’s floundering 
    all the positive bluster is horseshit 
    Holden knows that.

• Options
    I like the bloke. He is feeling under pressure. A manager that feels he has to remind the press/board/fans of his coaching badges in a post match interview, after another loss is most definitely feeling pressure. That was quite telling for me. 

I also noted in the post match page that he may need an older hand,  an experienced number 2. We have supplied him with academy coaches, who may be good at that level, but lack league experience. It's also been raised on 'not the top 20' podcast, that he may be tactically inept. That's definitely showing to me. 
  • Options
    We lose the next two then he’s gone, it’s as simple as that I think. 
  • Options
    I don’t care if they sack Holden as it will make no difference.
    Club is in a mess from top down, but until the ownership does its job, we will continue to falter.

Depressing, but inevitable.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    If these owners are serious I think he is. Looking at the options out there at the minute. There are better.
    Which ones?
    Warburton
    Wilder
    Darren Moore even
    Powell 
    Pep
    Klopp

Oh, wait, are we just throwing out random manger names? Because not a single one of your list is coming to Charlton. 

I do wonder how many times Charlton will change managers before Charlton fans realise changing the manger doesn’t change anything. 
    Would those managers do better with the squad though?
  • Options
    Mark Bonner pls
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    If these owners are serious I think he is. Looking at the options out there at the minute. There are better.
    Which ones?
    Warburton
    Wilder
    Darren Moore even
    Powell 
    Pep
    Klopp

Oh, wait, are we just throwing out random manger names? Because not a single one of your list is coming to Charlton. 

I do wonder how many times Charlton will change managers before Charlton fans realise changing the manger doesn’t change anything. 
    Would those managers do better with the squad though?
    100% yes
  • Options
    If he’s under pressure to go, then so is Andy Scott if the squad is not improved on by the end of this month 
  • Options
    Actually having slept on it, reflected upon the first four games and thought about various comments I have slightly revised my angle on this.

I do think we need further recruitment and I think we should afford DH at least some time to develop, however as many have pointed out, the tactics have been mixed and poor, fitness is most definitely an issue and the set pieces are almost entirely woeful. These are all the managers responsibility and all need prompt attention. 
  • Options
    If we don't make the required signings then he has some sympathy from me. However the start is extremely concerning, some decisions nothing to do with the squad - basic set piece defending, player mentality and game management have all been dodgy so far