Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Holden under pressure?

Comments

• Options

Impatient fickledom.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    He’s probably safe for time being as the gang of four’s choice. It’s a results a business though and Charlie boy is going to have his work cut out convincing the money men alls well in the Valley.

it will be a bloody long chat with 50+ to speak to. 
    He was a Gang of Four appointment but his issue now is that there is a gang of about 12 to answer to and the other eight have all the bunce. 

I like Dean. He is a straight up guy who has done the “getting us” routine down to a tee. And I think he is genuine with it. The problem is if he was any good as a tactical manager I’d be guessing that by now he would have had a track record that is a little more impressive than his is. He has inherited a crock. There have clearly been upgrades in several positions and our youth delight us. But we have an injury curse and, with the odd exception, we are buying the crocked and the needy. If we are under some sort of FFP constraint the chances of us balancing the books till we get shot of Anekes, Kirks etc is unlikely and we can’t give them away. The roots of our demise are very deep and we need more than a manic wand to put it right. If this lot have got any sense they will be looking at a structured root and branch makeover that will take several seasons. Whether they will see Dean as the manager to oversee that at least as far as on the pitch matters are concerned must be highly debatable and the last couple of weeks haven’t helped him however much of a pigs ear he has inherited.  I share the doubts of those who believe he won’t see out the season. 
  • Options
    He's mates with all the people above him no? That's why he came in the first place. 
    I doubt his ‘mates’ will hesitate to throw him under the bus if the fans direct the anger at the directors. 
  • Options
    Holden has definite flaws but the lack of backing from the new SMT is a joke. I really think Holden is trying to show how weak the team is through the lack of subs he makes. 4/5 signings of average quality and we could actually be in trouble. This team seems lacking in several areas. Imagine this team without Dobson? We need an injection of real quality. RWB, CB, CAM, FW x2 as a minimum. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    We've had a succession of mediocre managers - none of them have done much since they left. Whatever the squad shortcomings they're hardly helped by the managers we've had.

I don’t think Pep could do much with recent squads they can only work with the players at their disposal after all.
    I'm sorry but Holden has to take some of the responsibility for our failings. 
    Oh don’t apologise and I’m not disputing that Holden has to take some responsibility but my point is it can’t always be the Managers fault we’re a mid table L1 team with at least half of todays squad no better than that level. It would be even less than that if some of the recent signings and youngsters had improved the quality.
    Whatever the weakness of our squad the manager doesn't appear to be doing a great job either. He's a mediocre manager with a mediocre squad.
  • Options
    If we have the budget to pay him off we have a budget to add to the squad. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    We've had a succession of mediocre managers - none of them have done much since they left. Whatever the squad shortcomings they're hardly helped by the managers we've had.

I don’t think Pep could do much with recent squads they can only work with the players at their disposal after all.
    Oh don’t apologise and I’m not disputing that Holden has to take some responsibility but my point is it can’t always be the Managers fault we’re a mid table L1 team with at least half of todays squad no better than that level. It would be even less than that if some of the recent signings and youngsters had improved the quality.
    Whatever the weakness of our squad the manager doesn't appear to be doing a great job either. He's a mediocre manager with a mediocre squad.
    If he doesn’t get some results soon he could be gone before Xmas, Garner went beginning December who would you realistically like to see replace him?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

If he doesn’t get some results soon he could be gone before Xmas, Garner went beginning December who would you realistically like to see replace him?
    Steve Evans - don't particularly like him but think he could at least set the team up a bit better. 

Hopefully Holden can turn things around.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Steve Evans - don't particularly like him but think he could at least set the team up a bit better. 

Hopefully Holden can turn things around.
    He’d certainly increase the turnover at the not so fast food outlets 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    To those saying the squad isn't good enough or wildly imbalanced, how many squads are drastically better than ours? I would say a handful at most. Yes, we need depth at FB and up front, but we have a lot of quality in this squad. Injuries, and injuries in the same areas (center forward, center mid) are a much bigger issue. But this is not a three points from four games (three at home) level squad. 
    True if they are all fit and able to play 100 minutes (as you  acknowledge)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

I'd rather bring back Karel Fraeye, cannot stand Evans
    Don't like Evans but I'm pretty sure he'd do a better job with this squad.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

I'd rather bring back Karel Fraeye, cannot stand Evans
    Mind you if we’d spread out in additional time v Brizzle they might not have nicked that late winner.
  • Options
    Pretty awful post match interview but in truth not much else he could say, other than bunch of tossers!

He definitely looked uncomfortable couldn’t stop fidgeting.

Nice sweater though.
    What did you think was awful about it? 
    He never mentioned "cock-ups"?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bit concerned that he doesn't seem to know his best back 4 (or 5), and that we are relying on inexperienced players prone to making mistakes.
  • Options
    Got to feel bad for Holden when he is put in a position when he has to think about bringing on DJ and playing him out of position. I think DJ last league appearance for Charlton was Oxford on 1st October.
  • Options
    Fickle as Charlton fans…the man has done well given what he has had to work with …personally my opinion is he is good for job passion and the desire to do well.. rather than give the flick after a few bad results 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem with Holden is that he has no track record to suggest he might be cut out for this job..or any job in football management?
    He is a big gamble.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the fella but there's no pedigree here.

• Options
    Holden is not the problem - the owners are the problem.

• Options
    Not just results for me but the manner on which we lose. We have served up some real shite under him and we look so mentally weak. As soon as we concede we crumble, and we continue to leak soft late gosls
  • Options
    Pretty awful post match interview but in truth not much else he could say, other than bunch of tossers!

He definitely looked uncomfortable couldn’t stop fidgeting.

Nice sweater though.
    What did you think was awful about it? 
    I thought he was a bit shell shocked, I doubt he expected it to be this bad so early on and had no answers other than what you’d expect.

Of course, as I said he couldn’t really have said anything else.

• Options
    The problem with Holden is that he has no track record to suggest he might be cut out for this job..or any job in football management?
    He is a big gamble.

Bit like Lennie Lawrence , Alan Curbishley, Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer… everyone deserves a start in their lives
    Agreed. And Johnnie Jackson, getting a second start at AFCW, started well (and according to a mate close to the club, no accident) 
  • Options
    He is a big gamble.

Bit like Lennie Lawrence , Alan Curbishley, Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer… everyone deserves a start in their lives
    Agreed. And Johnnie Jackson, getting a second start at AFCW, started well (and according to a mate close to the club, no accident) 
    Lawrence, Curbishley and Bowyer only came to pass because the club had little or no money available for whatever reasons.
    So yeah, I suppose Holden makes sense for the same reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I say feck the results. Keep him and see what happens. I still believe that there's not many managers out there, that could do a much better with our squad (that Charlton could afford). 
  • Options
    I think Holdens biggest fear would be from detached, trigger happy major investors who I assume know very little about football, and only see results, not growth or building blocks.