Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Holden under pressure?

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    As per a usual Sunday with the family, had a few convos around the league, players, team selections, signings etc.
    All things CAFC eventually came back to, would it actually matter? Would it make a difference? 
    There has been a lot of indecision, confusing selections, bad use of substitutions and everything just feels a bit too messy. 

After 11 games, 20 points was a realistic target given we needed a bit more through the door and there are a few fitness & injury issues to overcome.
    5 of the opening 11 games have gone and we’re 17 points away from that 20 point target. 

So the next question is, do we think we can stop that indecision and tidy it all up to maximise what we get, from what we have over the next 6 games? 
    There is a lot of deliberating about the new SMT, Scott, the owners group about what they have given Deano so far, why and what that could mean. All valid points, suggestions and opinions until it is proven beyond doubt.
    What is clear, is we haven’t got anywhere near what we should have already and it doesn’t look like there is a concise plan to change it. Rather a lot of chopping and changing in hope something sticks. 
    The next 5 games come at the end of 5 full weeks (depending how the pizza cup games are used), that is almost as long as a pre-season. 
    That is long enough to implement something definite, gain a clear and concise understanding around the basics of it and be able to implement it on the pitch! 

I’m not usually one to call for change early but I don’t see enough from DH to make me think he’ll change the direction. I think his race is run and if we persevere with this direction, in what is quite clearly a weaker league this year…so will ours 
  • Options
    If he isn't under pressure now, then we aren't a serious club I'm afraid.

That first half display was one of the most inept performances I can remember. 

Darren Moore & Chris Wilder both available. I feel harsh but I think discussions need to be had, I don't think he can turn this around. I'm quite shell shocked at how bad the results have been tbh

• Options
    Not anymore.
  • Options
    Top league 1 striker taking throw-ins = Sunday morning kids management level.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    As the last person to know when it rains, May is probably the least likely to get on the end of a ball hurled into the box. So he might as well take it, and have one of the older, bigger boys go-into the penalty area.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Easy scapegoat to ignore what is happening upstairs. 

Yes he's doing poorly, but the main issues is our squad building and recruitment this summer. 

Friends with the gang of four though so will be interesting to 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I think Holdens biggest fear would be from detached, trigger happy major investors who I assume know very little about football, and only see results, not growth or building blocks.

I’ll take my promote now please 
  • Options
    He's mates with all the people above him no? That's why he came in the first place. 
    I doubt his ‘mates’ will hesitate to throw him under the bus if the fans direct the anger at the directors. 
    Told ya
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Hal1x said:
    As the last person to know when it rains, May is probably the least likely to get on the end of a ball hurled into the box. So he might as well take it, and have one of the older, bigger boys go-into the penalty area.
    He's not there to win headers though is he, he's there to get on the end of a knock down, rebound etc. Imagine Mendonca taking throw ins. 
    Had to make this exact same point to someone yesterday 
  • Options
    Guess this thread is going to be closing soon.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    But the best person to get onto flick one and loose balls
  • Options
    Yes, he’s under pressure, this lot won’t spend, so they out him and start again, saving their arses for a while.
    When I said this, I thought it would be a couple of months, not even a couple of weeks. FFS.
  • Options
    Not now.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Talal said:
    Hal1x said:
    He's not there to win headers though is he, he's there to get on the end of a knock down, rebound etc. Imagine Mendonca taking throw ins. 
    If hes not there they can put in his place a taller player who may win headers, once hes chucked the ball he can follow up in the box for any loose balls etc, he doesnt have to stay by the touchline.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    But you would want him in and around that area for second or third ball. No ?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Talal said:
    Hal1x said:
    If hes not there they can put in his place a taller player who may win headers, once hes chucked the ball he can follow up in the box for any loose balls etc, he doesnt have to stay by the touchline.
    No one has to go 'in his place', May can simply be in the box as well as the taller players. How many headed goals are scored directly from a throw in? I'd wager not many. It's the flick ons/knock downs that cause the problems. Having your main goal threat far away from the goal just makes no logical sense. Saying he can follow up in the box is, in my opinion, ridiculous, the play will almost certainly have moved on by the time he gets there. 
  • Options
    He might be under pressure in other aspects of his life but not from Charlton Athletic anymore.