Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Holden under pressure?

Comments

• Options
    Until we get ourselves a manager that has true pedigree that won't take any shit from poor ownership and not someone that is just happy to have the job because it's probably out of their capability level , we will continue to fail.

If this ownership were serious about this project they would go out and find him.
    Not holding my breath
    The thing is, the last two managers to get us promoted from this league had no pedigree at all, they were both in their first management jobs. Steven Schumacher won L1 in his first management job in his first full season as a manager. I don't think it's about their pedigree so much as it's finding the right person for the job at hand and not just someone the owner likes or happens to know. I honestly don't know how you do that though, we've tried nicey nicey to offset Bowyer, tried the club legend in his first job again, tried the football philosophy systems man and now we're onto slightly less nicey but still pretty nicey again. We've tried a bit of everything and we can't seem to get it right. I honestly think we might have used up all our luck with that bloody Wembley goal in the last minute and that moment of glory is all we're getting for the foreseeable future. I don't know if there's a limit or if the luck resets after a certain point, I'm not a wizard, but at a certain point I'm blaming magic because nothing ever seems to work no matter who plays for us, who owns us or who manages us.
     Agreed. And we got lucky with both of those two. Powell was a punt and Bowyer was a fill in because a) he was cheap and) The owner couldn't be asked to do a proper recruitment job.

My point being, when did we really go out of our way to grab ourselves a manager  with high stock that everyone else wants?
     The answer is Never!

It would be nice for one of these new dawn owners to actually go out of their way to get a proven operator and blow us all away.
    Adkins by the way was well past that when we picked him up. So again another fella that was just happy to have the work
  • Options
    He'll be under massive pressure now, 5 losses on the trot must be the worst in the country. He'll be gone when Stockley scores the winner next week 
  • Options
    Who do we go for should we end up looking elsewhere. 

Bowyer and Powell both available…
    I see Mick McCarthy walking around aimlessly in Bromley sometimes... 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Thought he could be good for us but now just looks as though he's just desperately trying anything hoping to stumble on a solution. Well, anything as long as it involves playing CBT as a wingback despite it clearly causing us issues defensively.

The main problems with the club start at the top and have done for many years now, no question. But that first half team selection and performance today are on Holden.
    How certain are we that he isn't having his strings pulled by someone further up the food chain?
    Someone, say, who is putting great store on the profitable sale of academy & other young players to balance the books - or at least reduce annual losses by an apparently unachievable amount?

Although Sandgaard was happy enough to keep him on, let's not forget Holden was an SE7 choice, and appeared to have limited alternative employment prospects when appointed.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Who do we go for should we end up looking elsewhere. 

Bowyer and Powell both available…
    I see Mick McCarthy walking around aimlessly in Bromley sometimes... 
    He may as well walk around Charlton aimlessly then, all our owners do.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    DRAddick said:
    Thought he could be good for us but now just looks as though he's just desperately trying anything hoping to stumble on a solution. Well, anything as long as it involves playing CBT as a wingback despite it clearly causing us issues defensively.

The main problems with the club start at the top and have done for many years now, no question. But that first half team selection and performance today are on Holden.
    How certain are we that he isn't having his strings pulled by someone further up the food chain?
    Someone, say, who is putting great store on the profitable sale of academy & other young players to balance the books - or at least reduce annual losses by an apparently unachievable amount?

Although Sandgaard was happy enough to keep him on, let's not forget Holden was an SE7 choice, and appeared to have limited alternative employment prospects when appointed.

You don't make profit off of youngsters who are made to look bad in a failing first team. Plenty of scouts around keeping an eye on youngsters football and bids will come in for them from there if they're deemed good enough.
  • Options
    As much as I want to back the guy for what he says about building a culture and seemingly be the kind of person you would want to back for a rebuild, he knows that he is in a results-based industry where there are always a number of suitable candidates that could take your job as soon as the results go against you. The defending and game management over the past few games has been diabolical, and simply cannot continue. I just feel he is lacking the tactical know-how and experience to know what to do in a situation like this, and it's costing us far too many points.

I want to back him, I genuinely do. But the results are shocking and it's the manner of defeat - every one feels like a kick in the nuts that could have been avoided. He's a decent bloke, but for the first time, I'm starting to question his choices.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After the shit he had to put up with from Roland, I’d be amazed if Powell would want to come back to the club in its current state. 
  • Options
    Should Holden depart which I think extremely unlikely then I don’t want either Powell or Bowyer back. We seem to have an obsession with ex players and now seemingly ex managers. Personally I have no clue who we could get anyway. Someone with no connection or knowledge of Charlton or League One this time perhaps. A foreigner with fresh ideas. We’re stale as a club.
     Absolute music the American ownership contingents ears!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Uboat said:
    After the shit he had to put up with from Roland, I’d be amazed if Powell would want to come back to the club in its current state. 
    Ah the good old days when Roland owned us . That’s how it seems now . He must be pissing himself laughing. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Ah the good old days when Roland owned us . That’s how it seems now . He must be pissing himself laughing. 
    Pisses himself when he does most things these days, so I've heard.
  • Options
    I think he deserves at least 1 more game. He clearly hasn’t been given the profile of player so far to play the way he wanted. Home to fleetwood is must win now 

If we did make the change and had a bit of ambition then I think we should go all out for Nathan Jones, he doesn’t pass the no dickheads rule but he’s a good manager 
  • Options
    Should Holden depart which I think extremely unlikely then I don’t want either Powell or Bowyer back. We seem to have an obsession with ex players and now seemingly ex managers. Personally I have no clue who we could get anyway. Someone with no connection or knowledge of Charlton or League One this time perhaps. A foreigner with fresh ideas. We’re stale as a club.
    “A foreigner with fresh ideas”. What like Luzon, Peeters, freye, some of the others….streuth. 

Stick with Holden. We’re 5 games in ffs. This isn’t football manager. 
    Something has to change. Holden has never had any success as a manager before us and I can’t see anything about his tenure that leads me to think he’ll achieve it with us. Certainly let’s stick with it for now but we’re so far off looking like being able to make top six. I’ve never played football manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is Andy Scott's managerial record like?

Because while I'm not saying they should give him the job, temporarily or permanently, he is an available replacement who "knows the club and players", who can "hit the ground running" etc etc.

• Options

Because while I'm not saying they should give him the job, temporarily or permanently, he is an available replacement who "knows the club and players", who can "hit the ground running" etc etc.

Interesting post. Regardless I think Scott has enough football knowledge to see that at present we’re a shambles. What happened today sounds bizarre.
  • Options

Won League Two with Brentford...

However: 

"In August 2022, Scott revealed that he would not return to football management and that he had been "in management for a reason and that was to develop players, organise teams and get everyone playing the way I wanted to play. Realistically, where I was going to go after Aldershot was scrambling around at that level, I didn’t want to be a journeyman manager applying for every job. Now I’m forging out a new career where I’m fortunate to be in the position I am in"."

Develop players hmm.
  • Options
    He’s a good guy, no doubt but he hasn’t got this side going and hasn’t got a clear plan. 
    There are managers like Nathan Jones, Darren Moore and dare I say a certain Chris Powell who would all come in and have an instant impact. 

We also have a complete void of experience in the back room team, something which needs to be addressed immediately if Holden is to stay.

The other thing he has failed to add is that leadership & experience every team needs. Where is your Pratley/Andy Hughes/Johnnie Jackson/Jason Pearce type characters to set the tone and add that game management know how. 

One thing is for sure, this cannot be allowed to continue 

I don’t think any of the managers you named would come to us, I really don’t think we are an attractive proposition. 
  • Options
    It’s Andy Scott’s decision as technical director on Holden 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It’s Andy Scott’s decision as technical director on Holden 
    Not if other people don't want/can't afford to pay him off. 
  • Options
    Oxford aren’t the team we all perceive they have been on the end of so every good results whilst individual basic errors have been the highlight of our season. We need 3 back camara Fraser leaburn to give our starting 11 parity. More than this we need players that most on here declared to be the best thing since sliced to turn up. Hector was built up to be the next best thing but there’s a reason he’s at a club that’s sailed aimlessly for years. He wants to stroll through games. Our resident experts said Kirk was a great signing and technically he can do the lot but again he wants to stroll through games. We need to go back to curbs foundations when you’re in a bad run be hard to beat and build from there. I hope dean is afforded the opportunity because luck and backing certainly hasn’t been forthwith  
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Half the team are inexperienced teenagers; maybe 2/3 adequate older ones. Weakest Charlton team I have seen in over 60 years watching. Inadequate recruitment.