Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    We are a mid table league 1 side. That is that
    Simple as that. 
    As high as that?
  • Options
    No comments from Dean as yet is a mystery... But you'd hope he'd be in with the board saying help!

Unfortunately I don't think it's coming! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Methven...METHVEN..?

Where the fuck is he?
    Now I won’t have you talking smack about Charlie! He’s in it for passion and is a life long Sunderland Athletic fan with a proven track record!

He’s adored whatever he goes!
  • Options
    Friend in Cyprus said DH blamed the strikers and one player may be back next week but don't know where she heard that.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    swordfish said:
    Hamilton Bohannon's "Let's start the dance again" sums it up for me. "It's not a question of getting down, but actually how low you can go." For youngsters on here, look it up. Tune (of it's day)
    Great tune!
    I'll be scouring some Gil Scott-Heron lyrics next for some pearls 😉
  • Options
    Instead of going abroad in pre-season, we should have stayed at home and bought another striker
  • Options
    My best friend is a Leeds fan who have the San Francisco 49's as the main shareholder and there issues are almost the same as ours...

There new owners have said nothing for over 5 weeks whilst a shitstorm has raged around the club. No word on any new players and last night was frustrating as even with a severity weakened team and only 5 outfield subs they were all over WBA for much of the game but just lack quality everywhere. They can’t see where a win will come from with there remnant of a squad and he thinks the Board can survive on a few talented players. It's uncanny and worrying, two great clubs, with dreadful takeovers and no lessons learnt from previous seasons. 
  • Options
    Friend in Cyprus said DH blamed the strikers and one player may be back next week but don't know where she heard that.

Blamed the strikers ? That doesn't sound like him at all plus it wasn't the strikers fault we can't defend.
  • Options
    Looking for a positive I came up with the fact that there much less time wasting after the rule changes. 
  • Options
    If that's true then he can just f-off - can't blame the strikers for conceding 3 goals!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DH says there are no excuses!

Apart from two games in four days, injuries and the squad still coming up to speed - all of which sound like excuses!
  • Options
    Complete Shite 
    League 2 here we come 
    I knew that ex Sunderland con man would add 
    further disappointment and disaster to my once premiership team 👎👎👎👎👎
  • Options
    I predicted 8th spot. Think I might have  over cooked it a bit. Feel for those there today. Got an invite and decided to come to visit poorly family. I chose right.

Words, when they come from Holden are futile right now. His talking needs to be done on the pitch. But if he has any balls, hell call out the owners and say that this squad is where it should be. Anything better, will require better players. End of discussion! 
  • Options
    2 games in 4 days - Asimwe cream crackerred in 2nd half but he waits till we concede to sub him!
  • Options
    Holden still not addressed the main problem and that is wingers who can cross the ball .. loads of good positions we got into and wasted .. no
    point in a new striker if we can’t get the ball in .. Dobson miss in 99 th was poor yet there was people clapping him if that had been Payne or Kirk would they have clapped ?? Ref was awful another red card missed and the handball in the 99 th min ..

but today was down to Holden he let PV crowd mid and them really feed Asiimwe to the wolfs the kid was shot after 35 mins why he kept him on ???? Poor management 
    Funnily enough the one time CBT went wide right he delivered the cross for Kanu's equaliser - playing him as an inverted winger on the left means he is always trying to cut in on his right and PV sussed that out eventually and closed him down. Me I'm just an old fashioned 442 man who wants a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right to cross the ball into the box.

All these modern fluid formations might work well at the top level but with a bunch of kids and useless third div players you are better off going back to basics with a solid formation where everyone knows their role.
    Been saying that for ages. 4 4 2 with good players is all you need. So we need still two full backs, two wide midfielders and a centre forward. 
  • Options
    Mid table at best...phew.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ValleyBen said:
    We need to sign a quality leader at the back and change how we coach our defending or the season really will be over before it even starts. 

Really like Holden, hoped his no nonsense straight talking would mean he would be a manager who focused on the defence but seems like potentially another "modern" manager who believes decent defending is boring. 
    Holden’s strength is his interviews. Beyond that, who knows. 
    And yet again I’ve been naively optimistic before the season started (after the signing of May I thought that was a sign of good times ahead), had a few punts at 16/1, and now I feel like yet again I’ve screwed up. 😩
  • Options

Blamed the strikers ? That doesn't sound like him at all plus it wasn't the strikers fault we can't defend.
    It might be accurate if the money men and the recruitment team are actually on strike.  The inactivity suggests it could be true.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    kentred2 said:
    Holden still not addressed the main problem and that is wingers who can cross the ball .. loads of good positions we got into and wasted .. no
    point in a new striker if we can’t get the ball in .. Dobson miss in 99 th was poor yet there was people clapping him if that had been Payne or Kirk would they have clapped ?? Ref was awful another red card missed and the handball in the 99 th min ..

but today was down to Holden he let PV crowd mid and them really feed Asiimwe to the wolfs the kid was shot after 35 mins why he kept him on ???? Poor management 
    Funnily enough the one time CBT went wide right he delivered the cross for Kanu's equaliser - playing him as an inverted winger on the left means he is always trying to cut in on his right and PV sussed that out eventually and closed him down. Me I'm just an old fashioned 442 man who wants a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right to cross the ball into the box.

All these modern fluid formations might work well at the top level but with a bunch of kids and useless third div players you are better off going back to basics with a solid formation where everyone knows their role.
    Been saying that for ages. 4 4 2 with good players is all you need. So we need still two full backs, two wide midfielders and a centre forward. 
    We went to 442 for 10 minutes on Tuesday and got roasted by their 3-man midfield down the middle