Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I feel so.sorry for Assimwe. He was our best player by some distance and ran his heart out. Why in.God's name was he left one on one with their fresh sub when he was clearly knackered?

We risk destroying the confidence of our best young players if this fiasco continues. 
    Game management, which we’ve been perpetually dreadful at. Yes we were on top and it felt like a win might be possible, but in the big picture of our injuries, lack of fitness, general ropey start to the season, and the fact we were, at one point in the match, in a losing position, we should have been thinking it was more important not to lose than it was to win.

Instead, we threw too many forwards and left ourselves exposed. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Have we been unlucky again? We must be the 6th unluckiest team in league one.

Has any team come from 18th after 4 games to a play-off place?
  • Options
    Lord where do you start after that?

On the one hand you could say we were a bit unlucky to lose that - May's shot was going in until it hit a defender when the score was 2-2 and Dobson really should have scored right at the end. And as the other night, Maynard-Brewer makes a good save but the ball just drops kindly for their player.

But on the other, how can you lose to such a poor Port Vale team? Suicidal defending is one way - and maybe the time is coming when instead of going gung-ho for a winner, we keep more players back and stop getting sucker punched.

One thing that is driving me crazy is set pieces. Every time our opponents have one they seem to put a dangerous ball into our box. We get one and the cross is mis-hit or cleared. Surely, they must work on this in training? Or don't they? 

Blackett-Taylor is a incredibly frustrating player. His speed, and the way he goes past players, is outstanding. But his final cross or shot is so often hopeless. I guess if it wasn't, he wouldn't be here.

Finally, Anderson and Asiimwe are going to be good players. Just hope Asiimwe's mistake doesn't make him lose confidence and good to see the great ovation he got when he went off.

Oh well, its never easy being a Charlton fan. 
    I seem to recall last season someone posting on here allegedly in the know saying they didn’t practice set pieces in training.
    Defending them and taking them by the looks of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Lord where do you start after that?

On the one hand you could say we were a bit unlucky to lose that - May's shot was going in until it hit a defender when the score was 2-2 and Dobson really should have scored right at the end. And as the other night, Maynard-Brewer makes a good save but the ball just drops kindly for their player.

But on the other, how can you lose to such a poor Port Vale team? Suicidal defending is one way - and maybe the time is coming when instead of going gung-ho for a winner, we keep more players back and stop getting sucker punched.

One thing that is driving me crazy is set pieces. Every time our opponents have one they seem to put a dangerous ball into our box. We get one and the cross is mis-hit or cleared. Surely, they must work on this in training? Or don't they? 

Blackett-Taylor is a incredibly frustrating player. His speed, and the way he goes past players, is outstanding. But his final cross or shot is so often hopeless. I guess if it wasn't, he wouldn't be here.

Finally, Anderson and Asiimwe are going to be good players. Just hope Asiimwe's mistake doesn't make him lose confidence and good to see the great ovation he got when he went off.

Oh well, its never easy being a Charlton fan. 
    I seem to recall last season someone posting on here allegedly in the know saying they didn’t practice set pieces in training.
    Well watching us you wouldn't think we did 

• Options
    Rob said:
    Awful performance. Again. What will the new owners do? I think it’s obvious that Holden is out of his depth. What will they do? 

We’ve had so many changes. We need stability but Holden is a worry in my opinion. Keystone Cops football. It can’t continue like this.
    He looks the part though with his nice trainings hence why the fans love him. And, who on god’s earth wears crew neck jumpers when it’s 24 degrees and sunny?
  • Options
    Absolutely atrocious defending, Hector is hopeless.

Kanu was a breath of fresh air, May seems a little off the pace and was Hobbling at times.

A game I think we should have won but once again threw away.

As an ex defender I would have thought Holden should have sorted out the defence before the season got going.
  • Options
    Nearly all the problems noticed on here, should be seen by DH and coaching staff. Same problems over and over again, even the players seem to be trying to get silly yellow cards so they can have a game off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know it's been said but our set pieces awful beyond belief.
  • Options
    We are a mid table league 1 side. That is that
    Simple as that. 
  • Options
    First half was ok, I won't go as far as to say we were quality or even great going forwards as now I'm starting to think it's just because Blackett-taylor can out pace everyone he comes up against so it looks like a sexy attacking move, which was our main outlet today and we saw the usual inconsistent final ball from him.

They had a couple of half chances towards the end of the first half but nothing major to worry about. They were utter shite.

Second half and we'll, we fail to stay switched on at the back and get basic things right and suddenly it's 1-1, we have our usual confidence drop and yet another piece of inept defending and we're behind. Fight back to 2-2 and it was us looking the most likely to win, but guess what, another bit of bad defending (although I'll not blame asiimwe as it was more mismanagement than anything)  and the good work to come back is undone.

We are defensively shocking, individually and as a unit. That's not down to the ref being crap or any other excuse. That's why we've lost the last two games. No other reason.

Now, let's not have all the "meltdown" and "bed wetter" sh!t l. We just failed to adequately defend against, and as such lose to an utterly shite Port Vale side. At home.

• Options
    The people moaning about the bed wetters are even turning. 

When it becomes bleeding obvious there's simply no excuse. 

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Hamilton Bohannon's "Let's start the dance again" sums it up for me. "It's not a question of getting down, but actually how low you can go." For youngsters on here, look it up. Tune (of it's day)
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Anybody heard from Methven or Rodwell recently?  I mean, surely they have plenty to say about how busy we are going to be in the next 2 weeks???....
    I assume they are in the Oak quaffing pints with the hoi polloi...
  • Options
    First 15 minutes were fine. The rest was atrocious.

Defensively awful. Going forward either involves pumping it long or trying to find CBT.

Getting a booking on 33 minutes for time wasting, against Port Vale, was a new low for me.

I’ve been to all 5 games this season but I’m spent already.
  • Options
    Still no comments from Holden or the club on any socials?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our inability to defend is a concern, set pieces at both ends remain a problem and one my patience is running thin with. Set pieces are a cheat code, a leveller. Shit teams can nick stuff from them and good teams need be be able to make use of them and defend them. We can do neither 

If I was Dean Holden I'd play 9 defenders next game to ensure a clean sheet and I cant believe I'm suggesting that in the third tier of English football. Mainly because I think with the complete absence of any cohesion or defensive leadership, direction, decisiveness, communication or commitment we would probably still lose and look awful in doing so 

• Options
    I feel so.sorry for Assimwe. He was our best player by some distance and ran his heart out. Why in.God's name was he left one on one with their fresh sub when he was clearly knackered?

We risk destroying the confidence of our best young players if this fiasco continues. 
    Agree with this. Thought he , Anderson and Kanu were our shining lights today. 

He  was absolutely shot, should have been substituted well before the third goal. 

Every time PV scored one of them picked the ball out of the net and we’re encouraging the rest of the side. 

From where I was sitting Holden was well out of Ideas once the PV second went in. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Anybody heard from Methven or Rodwell recently?  I mean, surely they have plenty to say about how busy we are going to be in the next 2 weeks???....
    Won't be giving post match interviews. Wouldn't expect them to 
  • Options
    When's the post match getting out 
  • Options
    This is what happens when you don't invest in the squad. We've seen it year after year.
    I feel for Anderson , Kanu and Asiimwe as they were superb today but we are going to destroy them before the month is out at this rate. 

Agreed. Good players but maybe too early to ask for them to be core first team players for a side aiming for promotion. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Hamilton Bohannon's "Let's start the dance again" sums it up for me. "It's not a question of getting down, but actually how low you can go." For youngsters on here, look it up. Tune (of it's day)
    Great tune!