Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Rob said:
    We’ve just got new owners. I can’t believe that people are already lumping them in with the manager/coaching and playing staff. For me they’re still unproven and as they have just taken over I’m prepared to give them a chance. Hopefully they’re as shocked as we are at the start we’ve made and will do something about it if it continues. I would if I had invested that amount of money. Hopefully they’ve got knowledgeable advisors. I suppose that’s the key. 
    For me, Methven aside, they are absent. I think they have wasted the key first window, which will see us write off another season.

They knew what they were buying months ago and I expect that they will get rid of Holden and sell off whoever they can, if results don’t improve, fans stay away and losses mount.

We have had years of this bollocks and some of us think that this lot are in different from the clown they bought from.

3 games was enough for me - the club is a busted flush, unless some massive change occurs, IMO

Did they know what they were buying though? That's the worry.....maybe CM sold them a pup.
    Said this a few times recently. methven probably spun a yarn about how he & his gang are all experienced "football people" Look where Sunderland are now thanks to me etc etc & they've swallowed the bullshit hook line & sinker. 
  • Options
    We can all do the silly nickname calling stuff as much as we want but tbf the CM story that we’ve got a top 6 budget but it’s been run by a narcissist and his son for the past few years and that with actual football people in charge we could actually be a top 6 side isn’t exactly ridiculous.

Not saying it will work (or that I trust CM based on SAFC stuff) but isn’t that what some have been saying before this all happened? Spending money wasn’t the issue - it was management that was failing.

I guess from my perspective I thought we’d do a bit more spending to speed things up, rather than doing it quite so gradually.
  • Options
    Always worth remembering that goals conceded can be a reflection of how well the side is playing generally. It doesn’t necessarily mean the defence is at fault for all of the goals. 
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    We can all do the silly nickname calling stuff as much as we want but tbf the CM story that we’ve got a top 6 budget but it’s been run by a narcissist and his son for the past few years and that with actual football people in charge we could actually be a top 6 side isn’t exactly ridiculous.

Not saying it will work (or that I trust CM based on SAFC stuff) but isn’t that what some have been saying before this all happened? Spending money wasn’t the issue - it was management that was failing.

I guess from my perspective I thought we’d do a bit more spending to speed things up, rather than doing it quite so gradually.
    Yes, but you have to factor in that the club will continue to lose £6-£8m a year before player trading. I question whether they have.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Rob said:
    We’ve just got new owners. I can’t believe that people are already lumping them in with the manager/coaching and playing staff. For me they’re still unproven and as they have just taken over I’m prepared to give them a chance. Hopefully they’re as shocked as we are at the start we’ve made and will do something about it if it continues. I would if I had invested that amount of money. Hopefully they’ve got knowledgeable advisors. I suppose that’s the key. 
    For me, Methven aside, they are absent. I think they have wasted the key first window, which will see us write off another season.

They knew what they were buying months ago and I expect that they will get rid of Holden and sell off whoever they can, if results don’t improve, fans stay away and losses mount.

We have had years of this bollocks and some of us think that this lot are in different from the clown they bought from.

3 games was enough for me - the club is a busted flush, unless some massive change occurs, IMO

Did they know what they were buying though? That's the worry.....maybe CM sold them a pup.
    If they did not know and now the truth now hits them, then it will play out as predicted.

Shit floats 
  • Options
    TeeC said:

"actual football people" would realise what a shit squad we have and would not have hidden away in the first window where they might have improved the squad.

Losing 75% of our first 4 games to shit opposition is hardly inspiring. Either they don't know what they are doing, or they do know but choose not to. If they have no money, then why buy the club?

They just need to be straight with fans, especially given the Charlton context.

Absolute shambles 

• Options
    TeeC said:

Yes, but you have to factor in that the club will continue to lose £6-£8m a year before player trading. I question whether they have.
    It just makes no sense to me.

Their lack of any real communication or strategy will simply lose more support and widen the losses.

What sort of "business people" are they ?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    If they are shocked it’s presumably because they have been misled? I think, on the contrary, they have had no intention of getting involved in the running of the club, having been assured that Right Charlie and his mates can handle it.
    I think they will get involved in the running of the club if this continues. They won’t just sit there and do nothing. I know they are not football people but they are business people and will quickly see if things are not going right. Orders/suggestions will come down. They will communicate their concerns. 
  • Options
    TeeC said:

In satisfying the EFL they'd have been aware of the Club's funding requirements. It would be an incredible oversight if such losses hadn't been factored in having conducted due diligence. I'm not buying that (is perhaps what they should have said!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10 minutes of extended highlights on the EFL YouTube channel if you really want to relive it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO03G6wrU94
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Rob said:
    Rob said:
    If they are shocked it’s presumably because they have been misled? I think, on the contrary, they have had no intention of getting involved in the running of the club, having been assured that Right Charlie and his mates can handle it.
    I think they will get involved in the running of the club if this continues. They won’t just sit there and do nothing. I know they are not football people but they are business people and will quickly see if things are not going right. Orders/suggestions will come down. They will communicate their concerns. 
    Will they though? If we're seen as a small but high risk/reward long term investment opportunity, I'm not sure they'll be as concerned as we'd like them to be after a month, but I'm sure they'll want to review how things are going every so often and ask probing questions. 

As a small investor myself, I let my fund manager manage and don't ask questions. Occasionally I'll see how my fund is doing, but as it doesn't amount to a huge pile of beans anyway, I'm not that fussed and accept I might suffer losses on it.

Our investors might share my attitude, although I'm not daft enough to put my money at risk in a football club.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    TeeC said:

In satisfying the EFL they'd have been aware of the Club's funding requirements. It would be an incredible oversight if such losses hadn't been factored in having conducted due diligence. I'm not buying that (is perhaps what they should have said!)
    The funding requirement as seen by the EFL is based on previous performance, and operating loss with no player trading profit. They can’t do much else. The pitch to the buyers is clearly going to be “we can do much better than this”. Otherwise the deal makes no sense.
  • Options
    Only time will tell in all this. The owners are a new entity to all of us so we’ll have to see what involvement they’ll take. They have invested a few million so I can’t see that they’ll let it ride if things are going tits up for too long. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    TeeC said:

The funding requirement as seen by the EFL is based on previous performance, and operating loss with no player trading profit. They can’t do much else. The pitch to the buyers is clearly going to be “we can do much better than this”. Otherwise the deal makes no sense.
    Would that be "We can do much better than this ... by applying our cockamamie theories to running it" by any chance? Not that I know what they are or how implausible.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    TeeC said:

Assuming August's payroll is fully covered by central and seasonticket revenue and you can't sell players in September, they might be in for a shock very soon. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023