Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A number of fans attacked me for my comments over the last few days.

My message top those fans is simple - keep watching that crap and hope it will improve.

It will not because…

- the ownership are clearly clueless [even though new]
    - the manager and his team are not up to it
    - the playing squad is not good enough

2 options left

1) STFU and keep spending hard earned on this shit
    2) stay away

Option 2 for me - I have given these clowns 3 games and that is enough.

CAFC has never been a team for those in need of instant self gratification, you have made the right choice for you. Those of us with more expeience of long term suffering will discus possible solutions, praise what was good, complain about what was bad bad and carry on supporting the team that was burnt into our psyvhe at a young age by generations of CAFC support before us. We wont STFU nor will we abandon our team.
    I still support the club, but they will not get any more of my money until the ownership does its job or someone else comes in who will.

In what way will you support them if you dont turn up and support them by spending your money on a ticket. Mentally dreaming of success by urging the owners to spend their cash when all you can do to support is criticise something you cannot be bothered to pay to witness first hand, by staying away? Some years ago that was classed as being a plastic, one who only turned up at success. The right to give criticism is earned by supporting and suffering. If you dont like it, go and support the current successful team, some team  from Manchester. Or think about what your words imply.
    The thing is though, you could fill out every seat at our gaff, 20k+ could sing in unison and it probably would have just disrupted the players. 

Can barely hold their nerve against a third full Valley, only God knows what it would do to them if there were eyes everywhere.

Concerned we don't have the characters the more I reflect on the results. I think back to Bowyers recruitment and he always said they had leadership traits or at least a fair few of them did 'winners'

Who are the leaders in this side? I think May fits into that category by inspiring with his work rates and commitment from the top, I think Dobbo leads with his playstyle mainly and the effort levels required. After that I don't see the leadership. You don't hear any commands, any frustration, it all just reminds me of a pre-season friendly, that's exactly how it felt at Newport. Who do the younger players look at and feel inspired by in this side. 

I know it's a bit off topic but I get why people don't go, it's really difficult watching players who don't look like they're willing to leave it all out there. Callum posted a picture where at 90+ mins there was 6 Port Vale players in our box for the final play and we had 3. Someone has to take the blame there, either it's the manager for not recognising who doesn't have the cardio for the rest of the game, or it's a player problem through lack of desire. I was shocked when I saw some people clap them off
    I might be looking for excuses, but I get the feeling that we were more interested in getting the winner than defending. Perhaps we disrespect the smaller clubs sometimes, which is probably why we get better results against the bigger clubs, and are vulnerable against the smaller clubs?
    But they are also looking for a result, if they weren't they wouldn't have had so many men forward at the end. 

As for beating bigger clubs who? We have a good record at Fratton Park but other than that I'm not so sure who we scalp 
  • Options
    You'll find pacey centre backs in the Premier League, and some in the Championship too, but they're a bit of a rarity in L1.
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    https://x.com/ntt20pod/status/1693549793090388018?s=46&t=inhOTIxAr2PbRadWeYGHgQ

This doesn’t shock me and I’m no where near as negative on how we’ve played as pretty much everyone on here appears. We’ve been comfortably the better team between the boxes in the last two and we really ought to have won both. Two good players (which I think is what we should expect still) in the right areas will make a huge difference, albeit they may turn us into a top 6 side rather than a top 2, where you it seems you need a championship ready xi and top back ups. 

None of which is to say I’m not very disappointed by our recent transfer activity and concerned by what’s to come over the next two weeks. I had the hope that we’d be pushing for top 2 based on all the noises made pre takeover.
    It's better than having low xG that's for sure. Thing is, we had similarly high xG last season, but when we're conceeding 2-3 goals all the time, it doesn't really count for much.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    You'll find pacey centre backs in the Premier League, and some in the Championship too, but they're a bit of a rarity in L1.
    You say that, but Peterborough have two very good centre backs, Bolton have at least 1, Derby have 1 or 2, Wigan have 2 and I'm sure as the season goes on we will see other teams with good centre backs. 

We are meant to be competing with those clubs, none of our defenders get in those sides atm probably, that's a concern.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    You say that, but Peterborough have two very good centre backs, Bolton have at least 1, Derby have 1 or 2, Wigan have 2 and I'm sure as the season goes on we will see other teams with good centre backs. 

We are meant to be competing with those clubs, none of our defenders get in those sides atm probably, that's a concern.
    Agreed, but I thought you were talking about pace?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    TeeC said:

This doesn’t shock me and I’m no where near as negative on how we’ve played as pretty much everyone on here appears. We’ve been comfortably the better team between the boxes in the last two and we really ought to have won both. Two good players (which I think is what we should expect still) in the right areas will make a huge difference, albeit they may turn us into a top 6 side rather than a top 2, where you it seems you need a championship ready xi and top back ups. 

None of which is to say I’m not very disappointed by our recent transfer activity and concerned by what’s to come over the next two weeks. I had the hope that we’d be pushing for top 2 based on all the noises made pre takeover.
    I wonder where we rank xGa which is more important than scored imo. Clean sheets guarantee points, goals don't 
    Most xG conceded:

1. Leyton Orient 7.4
    2. Barnsley 7.0
    3. Port Vale 6.0
    4. Charlton 5.9
    5. Fleetwood 5.8
    6. Wigan 5.6
    7. Burton 5.3
    8. Bristol Rovers 5.3

xG ratio (xGF / xGF&A * 100):

1. Bolton 68.4%
    2. Exeter 67.1%
    3. Reading 66.6%
    4. Peterborough 63.2%
    5. Cambridge 61.7%
    6. Derby 60.5%
    7. Portsmouth 58.9%
    8. Oxford 58.8%
    9. Blackpool 58.3%
    10. Charlton 51.2%
    11. Wigan 50.4%
    12. Northampton 49.4%
    13. Bristol Rovers 49.0%
    14. Wycombe 45.8%
    15. Stevenage 45.1%
    16. Carlisle 44.3%
    17. Lincoln 42.6%
    18. Port Vale 41.7%
    19. Burton Albion 41.1%
    20. Shrewsbury 38.8%
    21. Barnsley 38.6%
    22. Fleetwood 37.0%
    23. Cheltenham 35.8%
    24. Leyton Orient 32.7%
  • Options
    There we go, brilliant! 5.03 expected goals and 5.9 conceded. The problem in plain numbers. 

Now we're going to go and spend most of our money on a striker. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chunes said:
    There we go, brilliant! 5.03 expected goals and 5.9 conceded. The problem in plain numbers. 

Now we're going to go and spend most of our money on a striker. 
    5.03 from open play so won’t include May’s penalty for instance. Our total xG For is 6.2 (I don’t have access to second decimal points through FotMob) so marginally more than the xG Against.

Agreed though that the defending is a bigger problem than most have realised… something that continues to plague us. Sort the defending out and we’d be in a much healthier place - conceding five to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale isn’t acceptable.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Yes I am gent and I believe all those clubs have quicker defenses than us from what I've seen, especially Bolton and Peterborough. 

I thought Peterborough were a lot faster than us on the flanks and at the back, they didn't look like they were having a good day either. Still could have and probably should have got a result but we didn't and I put it down to their defending, they didn't make a single mistake from what I remember, we had no gifted chance like we gifted them, Rovers and now Port Vale

TeeC said:

I wonder where we rank xGa which is more important than scored imo. Clean sheets guarantee points, goals don't 
    Most xG conceded:

1. Leyton Orient 7.4
    2. Barnsley 7.0
    3. Port Vale 6.0
    4. Charlton 5.9
    5. Fleetwood 5.8
    6. Wigan 5.6
    7. Burton 5.3
    8. Bristol Rovers 5.3

1. Bolton 68.4%
    2. Exeter 67.1%
    3. Reading 66.6%
    4. Peterborough 63.2%
    5. Cambridge 61.7%
    6. Derby 60.5%
    7. Portsmouth 58.9%
    8. Oxford 58.8%
    9. Blackpool 58.3%
    10. Charlton 51.2%
    11. Wigan 50.4%
    12. Northampton 49.4%
    13. Bristol Rovers 49.0%
    14. Wycombe 45.8%
    15. Stevenage 45.1%
    16. Carlisle 44.3%
    17. Lincoln 42.6%
    18. Port Vale 41.7%
    19. Burton Albion 41.1%
    20. Shrewsbury 38.8%
    21. Barnsley 38.6%
    22. Fleetwood 37.0%
    23. Cheltenham 35.8%
    24. Leyton Orient 32.7%
    So based on this mate are we the 4th most likely team in the league currently to concede? If so I'm really surprised it's that bed. Being on par Port Vale is crazy as they've been tonked in a game 

No surprise where we are in terms of creating, bang mid table.

Very surprising how well Cambridge are doing, had a complete turnover in players, didn't really replace all of them and are getting some cracking results. I had them down as 22/24th. Early doors but that's some start by them
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Yes I am gent and I believe all those clubs have quicker defenses than us from what I've seen, especially Bolton and Peterborough. 

I thought Peterborough were a lot faster than us on the flanks and at the bank, they didn't look like they were having a good day either. Still could have and probably should have got a result but we didn't and I put it down to their defending, they didn't make a single mistake from what I remember, we had no gifted chance like we gifted them, Rovers and now Port Vale

TeeC said:

Most xG conceded:

1. Leyton Orient 7.4
    2. Barnsley 7.0
    3. Port Vale 6.0
    4. Charlton 5.9
    5. Fleetwood 5.8
    6. Wigan 5.6
    7. Burton 5.3
    8. Bristol Rovers 5.3

1. Bolton 68.4%
    2. Exeter 67.1%
    3. Reading 66.6%
    4. Peterborough 63.2%
    5. Cambridge 61.7%
    6. Derby 60.5%
    7. Portsmouth 58.9%
    8. Oxford 58.8%
    9. Blackpool 58.3%
    10. Charlton 51.2%
    11. Wigan 50.4%
    12. Northampton 49.4%
    13. Bristol Rovers 49.0%
    14. Wycombe 45.8%
    15. Stevenage 45.1%
    16. Carlisle 44.3%
    17. Lincoln 42.6%
    18. Port Vale 41.7%
    19. Burton Albion 41.1%
    20. Shrewsbury 38.8%
    21. Barnsley 38.6%
    22. Fleetwood 37.0%
    23. Cheltenham 35.8%
    24. Leyton Orient 32.7%
    So based on this mate are we the 4th most likely team in the league currently to concede? If so I'm really surprised it's that bed. Being on par Port Vale is crazy as they've been tonked in a game 

Very surprising how well Cambridge are doing, had a complete turnover in players, didn't really replace all of them and are getting some cracking results. I had them down as 22/24th. Early doors but that's some start by them
    Yeah we are 4th worst in xG against and 2nd best in xG for - actually implies we are creating a lot. When you put them into a ratio we end up mid table because we’re having a lot of chances but equally giving up a large number of them.

Look at Bolton who have only 0.3 xG for more than we do - but 2.9 xG fewer allowed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think these early defeats are part of Dean’s and the consortium’s cunning plans. This is to not  win the League after 5 matches but instead to fool the opposition into thinking we are shyte and then go on to piss the league by January. He’s a clever chappie is our Dean. 🤓
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

I thought Peterborough were a lot faster than us on the flanks and at the back, they didn't look like they were having a good day either. Still could have and probably should have got a result but we didn't and I put it down to their defending, they didn't make a single mistake from what I remember, we had no gifted chance like we gifted them, 

Thats another recurring theme :-(
  • Options
    TeeC said:

Sort of where I am. We have been unlucky with injuries and I think I have seen signs of quality in our play. But realistically a couple of the right signings for top 6 and 4 or 5 for top 2. Whch I expected based on the words from the buyers but now expecting a couple.

We have been architects pf our own downfall but if the ref did his job in the last two games we would be in a much better mood on here.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

I thought Peterborough were a lot faster than us on the flanks and at the bank, they didn't look like they were having a good day either. Still could have and probably should have got a result but we didn't and I put it down to their defending, they didn't make a single mistake from what I remember, we had no gifted chance like we gifted them, Rovers and now Port Vale

TeeC said:

Most xG conceded:

1. Leyton Orient 7.4
    2. Barnsley 7.0
    3. Port Vale 6.0
    4. Charlton 5.9
    5. Fleetwood 5.8
    6. Wigan 5.6
    7. Burton 5.3
    8. Bristol Rovers 5.3

1. Bolton 68.4%
    2. Exeter 67.1%
    3. Reading 66.6%
    4. Peterborough 63.2%
    5. Cambridge 61.7%
    6. Derby 60.5%
    7. Portsmouth 58.9%
    8. Oxford 58.8%
    9. Blackpool 58.3%
    10. Charlton 51.2%
    11. Wigan 50.4%
    12. Northampton 49.4%
    13. Bristol Rovers 49.0%
    14. Wycombe 45.8%
    15. Stevenage 45.1%
    16. Carlisle 44.3%
    17. Lincoln 42.6%
    18. Port Vale 41.7%
    19. Burton Albion 41.1%
    20. Shrewsbury 38.8%
    21. Barnsley 38.6%
    22. Fleetwood 37.0%
    23. Cheltenham 35.8%
    24. Leyton Orient 32.7%

Yeah we are 4th worst in xG against and 2nd best in xG for - actually implies we are creating a lot. When you put them into a ratio we end up mid table because we’re having a lot of chances but equally giving up a large number of them.

Look at Bolton who have only 0.3 xG for more than we do - but 2.9 xG fewer allowed.
    Fairs, makes sense. 

xG is definitely a good idea on how your team is gonna do over the course of the season, it's not guaranteed but it's close enough. 
  • Options
    agim said:
    I wasn't at the game but looking at the highlights the three goals we conceded were basic errors:

1 Dobbo loses his man 
    2 Hector let's the ball bounce
    3 Asiimwe caught in possession?

You've got to ask yourself why we constantly make basic errors. Is it quality of players? Confidence? Bad coaching? We just seem to switch off which two of our more experienced players doing that today for the first two goals.

Holden needs to get back to basics. He needs to tighten us up at the back before we even think about our problems going forward. I don't feel like these players are leaving everything out there on the pitch and as a fan that's what I expect
    Let me try and answer those Q's…

1) Dobbo is not as good as some say he is. He shines in a shit team 
    2) Lazy and somewhat arrogant bozo
    3) Not unexpected

Yes, the coaching, tactics and fitness is all sadly lacking.

Don't hold your breath about any improvements.
  • Options
    TeeC said:

Sort of where I am. We have been unlucky with injuries and I think I have seen signs of quality in our play. But realistically a couple of the right signings for top 6 and 4 or 5 for top 2. Whch I expected based on the words from the buyers but now expecting a couple.

We have been architects pf our own downfall but if the ref did his job in the last two games we would be in a much better mood on here.
    You really are deluded if you think we can make top 2 with any of our current set up in place, by which I mean:

- owners 
    - manager and coaching satff
    - playing staff 

Needs a massive and wholesale change at all levels and some time after that happens.

We are not "unlucky" on injuries - we have been in this state for years.

• Options
    So we have our views at 56 minutes here is not the Top Twenty podcast view

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2n0LfKyM0uCtPpt8JcUhPo?si=Sl5nC3bASpeUB8F1NN9Nyg
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Kap10 said:
    So we have our views at 56 minutes here is not the Top Twenty podcast view

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2n0LfKyM0uCtPpt8JcUhPo?si=Sl5nC3bASpeUB8F1NN9Nyg
    Thanks for the link. 

Pretty spot on! 
    Mismanaged the game vs Bristol, scored two but lost at home to Port Vale.
    Not up to speed but there was enough out there to get maximum points vs both. Should have been at least 4!
    We’ve bought quality in, we’ll be better once up to speed and fully fit. Even more improvement will happen if a couple more of a similar quality arrive. 
    Jones, Hector, Edun, Dobbo, Camara, Taylor, Fraser, CBT, May, Leaburn. 
    Confident we’ll grow into the season but if we don’t once all the above are available and fully fit, Holden’s going to have nowhere to turn. 
  • Options
    Why don't we shoot outside the box more? It's something that we have never really done and with May on the building then you have someone following in. 

We concede alot a fair amount of goals from follow ups so why aren't we doing it? 
  • Options
    Can we have pre-season again please.

a) We're not fit enough. Holden promised that they would be the fittest they've ever been, but that's clearly not the case. And because we signed unfit players, we're 2 weeks into the season, and many are still nowhere near 100%.
    b) Our defence is a mess, whether individually or as a unit. We seem to play a different combination of CBs each game, whether in a 2 or a 3, and still don't seem to have the right blend.
    This! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why don't we shoot outside the box more? It's something that we have never really done and with May on the building then you have someone following in. 

We concede alot a fair amount of goals from follow ups so why aren't we doing it? 
    May is also the only one who is willing to shoot from range and probably the only one who has a chance of scoring if he does 
  • Options
    We’ve just got new owners. I can’t believe that people are already lumping them in with the manager/coaching and playing staff. For me they’re still unproven and as they have just taken over I’m prepared to give them a chance. Hopefully they’re as shocked as we are at the start we’ve made and will do something about it if it continues. I would if I had invested that amount of money. Hopefully they’ve got knowledgeable advisors. I suppose that’s the key. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    A hold up striker would reduce the goals we concede as a lot of them are on the counter. Though I think we could do with a big unit centre half like Santos at the back too...
    Santos-dream on-how 's he still at Bolton? Championship clubs have enough dosh to buy him
  • Options
    All these goals we're conceding ...... we haven't got a proper physical spine to the team.

There's not even a Pearce, Pratley, Stockley. Right now, teams run through us and the ball doesn't stick up front.

Key players are missing, sure - but despite all the injuries and players supposedly yet to be signed, it's the next game that must be addressed - or the same frailties get repeated and points are given away.

• Options
    Individual mistakes + No JRS = Continuous losses

The number of goals he scored that actually decided games and earnt points did seem to be overlooked by many. Many created by himself too!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Individual mistakes + No JRS = Continuous losses

The number of goals he scored that actually decided games and earnt points did seem to be overlooked by many. Many created by himself too!
    Certainly haven't replaced him. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    We’ve just got new owners. I can’t believe that people are already lumping them in with the manager/coaching and playing staff. For me they’re still unproven and as they have just taken over I’m prepared to give them a chance. Hopefully they’re as shocked as we are at the start we’ve made and will do something about it if it continues. I would if I had invested that amount of money. Hopefully they’ve got knowledgeable advisors. I suppose that’s the key. 
    For me, Methven aside, they are absent. I think they have wasted the key first window, which will see us write off another season.

They knew what they were buying months ago and I expect that they will get rid of Holden and sell off whoever they can, if results don’t improve, fans stay away and losses mount.

We have had years of this bollocks and some of us think that this lot are in different from the clown they bought from.

3 games was enough for me - the club is a busted flush, unless some massive change occurs, IMO

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Rob said:
    For me, Methven aside, they are absent. I think they have wasted the key first window, which will see us write off another season.

They knew what they were buying months ago and I expect that they will get rid of Holden and sell off whoever they can, if results don’t improve, fans stay away and losses mount.

We have had years of this bollocks and some of us think that this lot are in different from the clown they bought from.

3 games was enough for me - the club is a busted flush, unless some massive change occurs, IMO

Did they know what they were buying though? That's the worry.....maybe CM sold them a pup.