Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A number of fans attacked me for my comments over the last few days.

My message top those fans is simple - keep watching that crap and hope it will improve.

It will not because…

- the ownership are clearly clueless [even though new]
    - the manager and his team are not up to it
    - the playing squad is not good enough

2 options left

1) STFU and keep spending hard earned on this shit
    2) stay away

Option 2 for me - I have given these clowns 3 games and that is enough.

CAFC has never been a team for those in need of instant self gratification, you have made the right choice for you. Those of us with more expeience of long term suffering will discus possible solutions, praise what was good, complain about what was bad bad and carry on supporting the team that was burnt into our psyvhe at a young age by generations of CAFC support before us. We wont STFU nor will we abandon our team.
    I still support the club, but they will not get any more of my money until the ownership does its job or someone else comes in who will.

In what way will you support them if you dont turn up and support them by spending your money on a ticket. Mentally dreaming of success by urging the owners to spend their cash when all you can do to support is criticise something you cannot be bothered to pay to witness first hand, by staying away? Some years ago that was classed as being a plastic, one who only turned up at success. The right to give criticism is earned by supporting and suffering. If you dont like it, go and support the current successful team, some team  from Manchester. Or think about what your words imply.
  • Options
    I wasn't at the game but looking at the highlights the three goals we conceded were basic errors:

1 Dobbo loses his man 
    2 Hector let's the ball bounce
    3 Asiimwe caught in possession?

You've got to ask yourself why we constantly make basic errors. Is it quality of players? Confidence? Bad coaching? We just seem to switch off which two of our more experienced players doing that today for the first two goals.

Holden needs to get back to basics. He needs to tighten us up at the back before we even think about our problems going forward. I don't feel like these players are leaving everything out there on the pitch and as a fan that's what I expect
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

My message top those fans is simple - keep watching that crap and hope it will improve.

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

CAFC has never been a team for those in need of instant self gratification, you have made the right choice for you. Those of us with more expeience of long term suffering will discus possible solutions, praise what was good, complain about what was bad bad and carry on supporting the team that was burnt into our psyvhe at a young age by generations of CAFC support before us. We wont STFU nor will we abandon our team.
    I still support the club, but they will not get any more of my money until the ownership does its job or someone else comes in who will.

In what way will you support them if you dont turn up and support them by spending your money on a ticket. Mentally dreaming of success by urging the owners to spend their cash when all you can do to support is criticise something you cannot be bothered to pay to witness first hand, by staying away? Some years ago that was classed as being a plastic, one who only turned up at success. The right to give criticism is earned by supporting and suffering. If you dont like it, go and support the current successful team, some team  from Manchester. Or think about what your words imply.
    There may be many reasons why fans don't go to games, be it disgruntlement as here, geography, ill health etc, but that doesn't mean supporters who don't go don't suffer along with those who do. I only watch games on steam when I can, but feel I have the right to be critical. If I could simply turn off my feelings for the Club, I would but I can't.

What I don't like to see is those who stay away to starve the owners of money implying others should. If they did, they too starve the Club they love of money and harm it. Whether it be down to bad management or low attendances reducing turnover, which reduces its ability to buy players under FFP*, having the Club and its owners losing money increases the prospect of continued underperformance on the pitch. It also makes it less attractive for resale if support is perceived to be fickle and the financials poor.

* I looked at some numbers previously and came to the conclusion that we were unlikely to be constrained by it last season, and I'm not seeing much that's happened since to change that. If the owners are saying it's an issue in trying to acquire their targets, that's encouraging if it means they're looking to shop for much better than we have, but I have my doubts.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    A lot of mentions of Pratley, Pearce etc.. recently. We were still shit when they were in the team!
    We got promoted at wembley with them in the team.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

There may be many reasons why fans don't go to games, be it disgruntlement as here, geography, ill health etc, but that doesn't mean supporters who don't go don't suffer along with those who do. I only watch games on steam when I can, but feel I have the right to be critical. If I could simply turn off my feelings for the Club, I would but I can't.

What I don't like to see is those who stay away to starve the owners of money implying others should. If they did, they too starve the Club they love of money and harm it. Whether it be down to bad management or low attendances reducing turnover, which reduces its ability to buy players under FFP*, having the Club and its owners losing money increases the prospect of continued underperformance on the pitch. It also makes it less attractive for resale if support is perceived to be fickle and the financials poor.

* I looked at some numbers previously and came to the conclusion that we were unlikely to be constrained by it last season, and I'm not seeing much that's happened since to change that. If the owners are saying it's an issue in trying to acquire their targets, that's encouraging if it means they're looking to shop for much better than we have, but I have my doubts.

Could just be spin
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

What I don't like to see is those who stay away to starve the owners of money wanting others to join them. If they did, they too starve the Club they love of money and harm it. Whether it be down to bad management or low attendances reducing turnover, which reduces its ability to buy players under FFP*, having the Club and its owners losing money increases the prospect of continued underperformance on the pitch. It also makes it less attractive for resale if support is perceived to be fickle and the financials poor.

I can agree with you in some respects, having spent quite a few years living away,  with a young family to support not having the time or money to travel to attend matches. However I called myself a fan rather than a supporter during those days and didn't criticise what I wasn't supporting. By buying tickets or even paying for streams or contributing to Valley Gold, you become more than a fan, you become a supporter and have the right to criticise where your hard earned contribution goes. I don't criticise fans who don't turn up to matches but those who have chosen not to support and still want the right to criticise are another matter.

In another  example, my wife grew up in Birmingham and is a fan of Aston Villa but still spends her hard earned dosh, she works in a hospital, buying her own season ticket at the Valley for a team she supports.
  • Options
    Just seen that was Port vales first away win for 7 months
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    The ownership have no reason to care like we the fans do. We care, we suffer.
    The ownership can always salivate about the future value of Kanu and others and will sell, get out, and abandon us with nothing.
    If decent Dean doesn’t deliver he will be sacrificed along the way.
    Very pissed off still, a feeling only winning the next five games in a row will dispel.
    You keep saying this about Leaburn, now Kanu, do you honestly think someone paid 12 million quid for something worth about 10% of that just so they can sell a couple of youth team players?

If so I have some deep sea divers I'll sell you for a Bobby a pop. 
    No proof they paid 12 mill is there?
    It's what we've been led to believe. Carly burn questioned this the other day. It would all make more sense if they took it off of sandgaards hands for a minimal amount, &  provided proof to the EFL that they had the funds to run us for two years. Whether they intend to we'll find out. 
    I imagine they have left the debt on the books, as happened when Duchatelet acquired the club from the Spivs. The business changes hands for £1 but the debt owed moves from Clear Ocean to SE7 Partners. We should get information on that with the next set of accounts.

I also suspect the ownership structure makes it difficult to put any money into the business except as loans, because equity would dilute the shareholding of those not participating. This may have the FFP implications referred to previously.

My assumption is that the shareholders have been told they won’t need to invest further anyway because Charlie and his mates can break even. Of course this is a fantasy. 

The proof of funds is neither here nor there if you don’t think it is needed.

That all.sounds rather worrying. 

But then would tie into my issue with the fact we've not heard a squeek from any of the big players. Not a dickie bird. I'm not expecting (or wanting) another guitar screeching fanfare but a 2 sentence acknowledge that theyv'e put £x in and what their ambition is over the next 5 years. 
    See also Roland Duchatelet’s failure to set out any clear public objectives after taking over and subsequently. 

This doesn’t have to be Sandgaard / Southall style bombast and fantasy - but not having any story you are willing to tell is an indicator of itself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    timken said:
    Of course it was. We help everybody settle their negative records. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    timken said:
    Of course it was. We help everybody settle their negative records. 
    Following on from their 7-0 defeat in their opening fixture....
  • Options
    Fan is short for fanatic. So if you pay in to the club by buying tickets or season tickets, travelling long distances to see them play, joining Valley Gold etc., doesn’t that move you from being a supporter to being a fan? Or has the original meaning of ‘fan’ been diluted. Is a supporter more committed than a fan? 

I think I’m feeling more let down this season than previous ones because so much was expected after the takeover was completed and May was signed. I’m sure that’s why there was such a big gate for the Orient match. With each defeat, and with each passing day without transfer news, I can feel the belief slipping away. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'd argue your descriptions of categories are linked. 

A fanatic is someone fanatical about a club, whilst a supporter regularly travels to games, spends money on tickets and supports the club both financially and physically. 

I'm more a fan, but I support when I can. I think you can be a fan and not support the club, but not likely the other way. 

I'm still a fan of the club, but as we seem to be going through the same as last owner I don't think I'll be getting along to support the boys as much as I hoped. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Fan is short for fanatic. So if you pay in to the club by buying tickets or season tickets, travelling long distances to see them play, joining Valley Gold etc., doesn’t that move you from being a supporter to being a fan? Or has the original meaning of ‘fan’ been diluted. Is a supporter more committed than a fan? 

I think I’m feeling more let down this season than previous ones because so much was expected after the takeover was completed and May was signed. I’m sure that’s why there was such a big gate for the Orient match. With each defeat, and with each passing day without transfer news, I can feel the belief slipping away. 
    I'll be happy with mid table as things stand. A relatively easy run of fixtures but four defeats on the bounce. 

Oxford away won't be easy.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

The thing is though, you could fill out every seat at our gaff, 20k+ could sing in unison and it probably would have just disrupted the players. 

Can barely hold their nerve against a third full Valley, only God knows what it would do to them if there were eyes everywhere.

Concerned we don't have the characters the more I reflect on the results. I think back to Bowyers recruitment and he always said they had leadership traits or at least a fair few of them did 'winners'

Who are the leaders in this side? I think May fits into that category by inspiring with his work rates and commitment from the top, I think Dobbo leads with his playstyle mainly and the effort levels required. After that I don't see the leadership. You don't hear any commands, any frustration, it all just reminds me of a pre-season friendly, that's exactly how it felt at Newport. Who do the younger players look at and feel inspired by in this side. 

I know it's a bit off topic but I get why people don't go, it's really difficult watching players who don't look like they're willing to leave it all out there. Callum posted a picture where at 90+ mins there was 6 Port Vale players in our box for the final play and we had 3. Someone has to take the blame there, either it's the manager for not recognising who doesn't have the cardio for the rest of the game, or it's a player problem through lack of desire. I was shocked when I saw some people clap them off
  • Options
    I definitely think there's an issue with character. Asiimwe the only player to bust a guy to get back at the end especially after his error only Thomas also tried to get back. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I definitely think there's an issue with character. Asiimwe the only player to bust a guy to get back at the end especially after his error only Thomas also tried to get back. 
    Last two games our defenders have been far too slow to react after AMB has parried the ball - our opponents seem more switched on.
  • Options
    You can't have flowers without some rain.

How long is this monsoon season going to go on for 🌧️🌧️ 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which is why I keep harping on about the pace, only two players who I think are quick are May and CBT and it's not really their job. 

If you're a defender you need to either have pace to get you out of trouble or the reading of the game to not need it. I don't think any of them have it, really disappointed in Hector who should be performing way higher than what he's shown. 

I'll say Ness made a crucial interception getting back and Hector was in the right place at the right time on one occasion, but other than that we have been second best at getting a foot in around the danger area 
  • Options
    Which is why I keep harping on about the pace, only two players who I think are quick are May and CBT and it's not really their job. 

If you're a defender you need to either have pace to get you out of trouble or the reading of the game to not need it. I don't think any of them have it, really disappointed in Hector who should be performing way higher than what he's shown. 

I'll say Ness made a crucial interception getting back and Hector was in the right place at the right time on one occasion, but other than that we have been second best at getting a foot in around the danger area 
    Nobody read the game quite like Chris Powell - even at the end of his career.
  • Options
    Or you need one very quick one to stop opponents getting in behind, but the issues we seem to have is giving away fouls in stupid positions, and lapses of concentration. We are simply dreadful at set pieces for example.

I think we have issues at both ends and this certainly needs addressing. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

Could just be spin
    Is spin another word for bollocks.
  • Options
    They all need another week in 👢 camp!
  • Options
    https://x.com/ntt20pod/status/1693549793090388018?s=46&t=inhOTIxAr2PbRadWeYGHgQ

This doesn’t shock me and I’m no where near as negative on how we’ve played as pretty much everyone on here appears. We’ve been comfortably the better team between the boxes in the last two and we really ought to have won both. Two good players (which I think is what we should expect still) in the right areas will make a huge difference, albeit they may turn us into a top 6 side rather than a top 2, where you it seems you need a championship ready xi and top back ups. 

None of which is to say I’m not very disappointed by our recent transfer activity and concerned by what’s to come over the next two weeks. I had the hope that we’d be pushing for top 2 based on all the noises made pre takeover.
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    https://x.com/ntt20pod/status/1693549793090388018?s=46&t=inhOTIxAr2PbRadWeYGHgQ

This doesn’t shock me and I’m no where near as negative on how we’ve played as pretty much everyone on here appears. We’ve been comfortably the better team between the boxes in the last two and we really ought to have won both. Two good players (which I think is what we should expect still) in the right areas will make a huge difference, albeit they may turn us into a top 6 side rather than a top 2, where you it seems you need a championship ready xi and top back ups. 

None of which is to say I’m not very disappointed by our recent transfer activity and concerned by what’s to come over the next two weeks. I had the hope that we’d be pushing for top 2 based on all the noises made pre takeover.
    I wonder where we rank xGa which is more important than scored imo. Clean sheets guarantee points, goals don't 
  • Options

What about Kanu , Asiimwe and Anderson,  Edun,(+ CBT and May) ? One aspect where we have improved  the current starting 11 is pace, not all of them, but these. We can talk about other areas for improvement(skill ,teamwork, anticipation etc etc), but imo we have improved speed./pace
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It will not because…

2 options left

2) stay away

The thing is though, you could fill out every seat at our gaff, 20k+ could sing in unison and it probably would have just disrupted the players. 

Can barely hold their nerve against a third full Valley, only God knows what it would do to them if there were eyes everywhere.

Concerned we don't have the characters the more I reflect on the results. I think back to Bowyers recruitment and he always said they had leadership traits or at least a fair few of them did 'winners'

Who are the leaders in this side? I think May fits into that category by inspiring with his work rates and commitment from the top, I think Dobbo leads with his playstyle mainly and the effort levels required. After that I don't see the leadership. You don't hear any commands, any frustration, it all just reminds me of a pre-season friendly, that's exactly how it felt at Newport. Who do the younger players look at and feel inspired by in this side. 

I know it's a bit off topic but I get why people don't go, it's really difficult watching players who don't look like they're willing to leave it all out there. Callum posted a picture where at 90+ mins there was 6 Port Vale players in our box for the final play and we had 3. Someone has to take the blame there, either it's the manager for not recognising who doesn't have the cardio for the rest of the game, or it's a player problem through lack of desire. I was shocked when I saw some people clap them off
    I might be looking for excuses, but I get the feeling that we were more interested in getting the winner than defending. Perhaps we disrespect the smaller clubs sometimes, which is probably why we get better results against the bigger clubs, and are vulnerable against the smaller clubs?
  • Options

What about Kanu , Asiimwe and Anderson,  Edun,(+ CBT and May) ? One aspect where we have improved  the current starting 11 is pace, not all of them, but these. We can talk about other areas for improvement(skill ,teamwork, anticipation etc etc), but imo we have improved speed./pace
    I don't think Kanu is rapid, he just has decent pace, Asiimwe isn't a slouch but it's his technicality as to why he is so good rather than his pace, similar to Tayo, Anderson is quick for a midfielder but lacks in other areas which will come with time. 

I agree May and CBT are quick as I mentioned. 

But the main areas where it's important which is the back 3/5 is where the pace is its worst. If you play a high line you need players with good engines and pace to burn, this was exploited by Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. 

One of Port Vales players in particular was absolutely rapid, think it was Josh Thomas? He was instrumental in their winner