Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale: Saturday 19th August 2023: KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• follett said:
    I cannot believe I said I would do the 46. 4 games in and I wanted to throw my camera on the pitch. That game has actually made me miserable.

I will it say now, take the kids out of it. They were our best players and they don't deserve to have their confidence ruined. Playing them will only hinder them, I think it would be irresponsible of Holden to start them next game as you can just tell the atmosphere is gonna get toxic. 

Genuinely getting concerned we have been sold a dud. No transfer activity in 20+ days or so, no signs of any signings other than a right back, manager doesn't seem to know how to organise a team. We are just a weak club. How many teams have come to the Valley and rolled us over now? Holden says all this stuff about wanting to make the Valley a fortress? Nonsense. More empty seats than filled seats (not that I blame people not attending), the football isn't good enough to get the crowd off their seats & we don't have the experienced players to win games like that. It's so morbid. 

I said we were unlucky the last two games and we were, today we weren't. Tactically inept. No one can use the excuse of squad strength, no disrespect, it's Port Vale. I spoke to about 10 Port Vale fans before the game, not one of them fancied their chances, all hoped for a draw at best. They put 3 past us.

AMB - Terrible, probably not too wise to start a keeper who maybe has 10-20% of his vision blocked. I ain't being dramatic because I said it before, I don't remember a worse keeper than him in recent years, obviously excluding keepers like Harness who never got a chance.

Defenders - all unprofessional, I couldn't stand washed up Pearce, he walks in to this side. Only Asiimwe gets any credit, and the last goal wasn't his fault, I blame AMB and poor tactical decisions more.  

Midfielders - non existent. Karoy is a talent but a kid, Dobbo had a bad game where he looked like he was trying too hard, Terry Taylor came with a lot of promise but looks average early doors

Forwards - May just runs about, system doesn't suit him, Kanu looked decent, CBT same old, no end product. 

I can't believe we lost that, they looked so so ordinary. If you told even their fans they'd score 3 second half they wouldn't believe you. 

Miserable, just miserable. We won't get anything at Oxford either, bogey side. I didn't believe that before the season started that we would get points at Oxford, now I am 100% confident we won't.

The owners have 2 weeks to get this right. If not they have some explaining to do, cause this is unacceptable and we are gonna find ourselves on a downward trajectory to relegation, the only shining light is that there are some really poor sides in this league so league 1 safety should be safe..what a time 
    I think digging out AMB is a bit harsh, his decision making can be poor but when he’s played he’s made some ridiculous saves which I’m not sure other keepers would have. As for the third goal, unfortunately it was Asiimwe’s fault. I agree he was shattered and probably he should have been off before it. Hopefully he and Holden learn from it. Not sure how AMB cans take the blame for it. He makes a great save but unfortunately our defence is non existence for the rebound and it’s tapped in

I think cause he's a Charlton boy he gets a pass from a lot of fans, if he was a player we had signed he would be getting pelters.

Every keeper we have come up against has looked more assure than him. I think Isted deserves a chance. 

We won't be getting promoted with a player like AMB in goal, that's my opinion 
    Why is he still wearing that mask? It was supposed to provide protection for a couple of weeks after he had a procedure following a broken nose. Now, several months later, he's still wearing it. It must impair his vision.  

He's a decent shot stopper but most keepers are. He's saved us points but his goals conceded record is poor, and of course that's down to the whole defence and not just the keeper.

I think we had better in Wollacott but he's not there now. I don't know enough about Isted but, the way yellow cards for time-wasting are being dished out, he'll be given a chance soon when AMB is suspended, if he isn't given a go before then.
  • edited August 2023

Methven...METHVEN..?

Where the fuck is he?
    Nobodys been able to find him since he had the walls in the Valley painted the same colour as his trousers!

• From what I’ve seen of Isted I really don’t think he’s the answer. 
    correct ...... and neither are about 20 of our 24 man squad. If we accept mediocrity, then expect the same results week in week out.
  • maybe this has been posted, but very strong rumours that Holden has been sacked, furthermore the new owners have no appetite to spend money on transfer fees and they want 4 out. DJ has already one to a L2 team, so safe to assume as Kirk was on the bench and didn't get a sniff that he's off too.
  • lonman said:
    maybe this has been posted, but very strong rumours that Holden has been sacked, furthermore the new owners have no appetite to spend money on transfer fees and they want 4 out. DJ has already one to a L2 team, so safe to assume as Kirk was on the bench and didn't get a sniff that he's off too.
    Who knows if that first part is true, but I'm more inclined to believe that the second part is tbh! If so, once again why buy a football club to the just sit on your hands. It's always the cheap option here, always. I'm sick to death of it. 
  • lonman said:
    maybe this has been posted, but very strong rumours that Holden has been sacked, furthermore the new owners have no appetite to spend money on transfer fees and they want 4 out. DJ has already one to a L2 team, so safe to assume as Kirk was on the bench and didn't get a sniff that he's off too.
    Can't see why they would've brought DJ on if he'd already gone. 
  • Chunes said:
    lonman said:
    My only assumption was anyone who has shown an interest in him questioned his fitness, so Holden bought him on to prove quite how quickly he can display signs of obvious unfitness

Or it was one of the more stupid decisions made by a Charlton manager 
  • Chunes said:
    lonman said:
    let's see what happens.. I'm not claiming to be ITK. just passing on what I heard. 
  • Methven...METHVEN..?

Where the fuck is he?
    Nobodys been able to find him since he had the walls in the Valley painted the same colour as his trousers!

Methven...METHVEN..?

Where the fuck is he?

The colour of his trousers and the fact he went to Eton are the least of our problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• lonman said:
    Strong rumours from where exactly? Not seen that anywhere 
  • Back to the match one last rant - both Bristol Rovers and Port Vale used all their subs - brought on fresh legs who helped them get the late winning goals - we brought on DJ who looked woefully unfit, Thomas who looked like he was in nosebleed territory going forward and Payne who promptly blasts a promising free kick straight into the wall 
  • Can’t defend, desperately short on forwards since pre season and unless there are at least 2 proper centre forwards brought in (plus Leaburn) before the window closes we are going no where. 
    Why was DJ on the pitch let alone on the bloody bench.Fucking Shambles 
    We don't need any strikers, Leaburn will be back in a month or so, Kanu is already on three goals, we splashed out 250K on Alfie, & aneke will be back soonishhhhhh. Thanks Tory boy, now fuck off.
  • TeeC said:
    lonman said:
    Strong rumours from where exactly? Not seen that anywhere 
    Let's see Re:Holden. DJ told a regular fan that he was gone, so I expect that to be true. If youre checking the Official Charlton homepage I may suggest you're gonna be a lil beind the curve
  • Did the regular fan tell you directly? Not saying the rumour isn’t true btw. 
  • Solidgone said:
    We just don’t have the luck at the moment. Apart from our errors I thought we played well. We will come good and go on a run of wins. 
    This is almost word for word my prediction re global warming
  • edited August 2023
    I'm just waiting for the "He just gets us" mob to be wanting Holden out the door. That applies to at least 50% of this forum. Personally speaking, the fact he turns up at the pub buying fans beers is a red flag in my book. Furthermore, having been in the pub when he's turned up I've seen 'proper Charlton Ledges' turn into little school girls chanting his name. LMFAO. It's on video too. Let's leave that. But Holden is no messiah, neither is Methven but most on here get sidetracked by his socks, trousers and the fact he went to Eton. None of which have any influence on how he runs a football team. In my opinion we are fucked and anybody who thinks we are making the playoffs I'd like some of the KoolAid they're drinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• It was always going to be early October before we see what we’re really about this season. Reasons why have been well discussed.
    The hope is, we will still be within touching distance by then. 
    We’ve made that a lot more difficult with how the opening 4 games have gone. 
    4 defensive errors is the difference between 3 or 9 points. 

CB, CF, RWB & AM in…DJ, Kirk, McGrandles and Payne out. 

a KoolAid merchant right here. The writing is on the wall.
  • edited August 2023
    lonman said:
    I'm just waiting for the "He just gets us" mob to be wanting Holden out the door. That applies to at least 50% of this forum. Personally speaking, the fact he turns up at the pub buying fans beers is a red flag in my book. Furthermore, having been in the pub when he's turned up I've seen 'proper Charlton Ledges' turn into little school girls chanting his name. LMFAO. It's on video too. Let's leave that. But Holden is no messiah, neither is Methven but most on here get sidetracked by his socks, trousers and the fact he went to Eton. None of which have any influence on how he runs a football team. In my opinion we are fucked and anybody who thinks we are making the playoffs I'd like some of the KoolAid they're drinking.
    Think the legends comment is over the top. A lot are dead an others, would never chant his name. Maybe different if your under 60, a think Seb, is our number one legend. 

However, agree it’s looking like he’s as shit as the last Messiah……. 

• AMB: 
    ASIIMWE: his error down to being knackered a shame after a decent game
    JONES: he ain’t nearly good enough
    HECTOR: least bad of a bad crop of CHs
    EDUN: decent
    DOBSON; doing the work of 2 as usual 
    TAYLOR: MIA and poor when visible 
    ANDERSON: decent
    KANU: dangerous 
    MAY: quick and dangerous 
    CBT: mixed bag his good stuff is really good but final ball still needs work 
    Referee: shameful even worse than breakspear 

ineligible but marks allowed
    DJ: piss taker
    THOMAS: poor
    PAYNE: inadequate 

Holden: on very thin ice seemingly clueless 
  • nice guy, however now there are now big doubts about Holden's managerial ability .. is he too nice ? .. the squad might not be all that, but it's not as bad as to be right near the bottom .. I know, it's always blamed the manager, but this a cannot go on .. the players lack effort i m o with a few exceptions .. bring in an experienced man to sort them out, if there is one to be found that is
    Don't know much about Holden to be honest & I guess the buck stops with the top man but what about his coaches ? Aren't they two relatively inexperienced guys promoted from the under 21s ? Maybe he needs a bit of experience alongside him ?
    I was thinking this earlier. Are the coaches not people promoted internally? If so are they good enough? If so are they really the people DH would like? Like with Nigel Atkins, he wanted to bring in his tried and tested ally, Andy Crosby (coincidentally the PV manager now) but wasn’t allowed to so had to work with what was there. Is this the case with DH too I wonder?
  • Just seen the goals........

1) the penalty was given by the lino not the ref. And May blasted it down the middle where the ones he missed in pre-season were more in the corner. I think his mentality was just hit & hope rather than place it  

2) for their first goal the defending was a joke. Take a look at our defensive line up. Our defenders are all BEHIND their players & not in front, so when the ball comes in the player is unmarked & easy to flick the ball on. Even a sunday side would line up with a defender in front of the attacker. Just basic stuff.

3) Hector's defending was worse than Sunday league for their 2nd. Dom't let the ball bounce ffs !

4) their 3rd was very similar to B.Rovers first. Good save by AMB but the attacker was quicker to the rebound & we had no covering defenders.....but they had an attacker up with play so very easy tap in.  

• I don’t think we can determine whether we are in a relegation battle or not after just four games - there is only 8 points separating 1st to 24th. Let’s give it to 10 games before making any judgements either way.

Right now my feeling is we’re in for another mid table season, unless some half decent signings are made between now and September 1st.
  • siblers said:
    Is anyone else not slightly worried that this team is closer to being in a relegation battle than midtable mediocrity?

Port Vale, Bristol Rovers and Newport are poor, Leyton Orient look like they might go straight back down so beating them doesn't mean a whole lot. To lose 3 on the spin against opposition like this is very worrying, even if it's just the start of the season. Not sure where a turn in form is coming from
    And three of our next four are away from home to teams who have started the season well. Very worrying times indeed.
  • Groundhog Day