Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Leyton Orient | Saturday 5th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Southbank said:
    May, Camara, Jones for Rak Saki, Morgan and Inniss. Not sure how much of a net gain that is, if any.

Mate even taking into account the loss of Rak Saki if you don’t think those 3 are an overall improvement I’m astounded 
    I love the optimism but can you really be certain of that ?
    I don’t think people realise how good Camara is. Give him a few games to get going and it will be obvious that we have upgraded
    I wonder why Ipswich have let him go.  Even if he is better than Morgan and Jones is better than Innis (we shall see) I don’t believe we have replaced JRS, Clare or Sessegnon with better . Yet.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Southbank said:
    May, Camara, Jones for Rak Saki, Morgan and Inniss. Not sure how much of a net gain that is, if any.

Mate even taking into account the loss of Rak Saki if you don’t think those 3 are an overall improvement I’m astounded 
    I don’t think people realise how good Camara is. Give him a few games to get going and it will be obvious that we have upgraded
    I wonder why Ipswich have let him go.  Even if he is better than Morgan and Jones is better than Innis (we shall see) I don’t believe we have replaced JRS, Clare or Sessegnon with better . Yet.  
    You may be right but I think we are replacing them with players that are more mobile and more likely to looking to win the ball and initiate play rather than mostly wait to be played in first -  Sess probably the exception to that but he had injury issues
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Southbank said:

Because Ipswich will be aiming for the championship play offs. He’s good but he’s not that good. 

May is the Rak-Sakyi replacement. We’ve changed formation so we don’t play with wingers anymore. May has replaced Rak-Sakyi as the main goal threat 

Edun has replaced Sessegnon. Not sure if he is better but he might be fitter. Asiimwe has replaced Clare, he might not be better yet but he definitely will be a better player than Clare. Plus we will probably sign another wing back that will hopefully be an upgrade on those 2 (or it could be Sessegnon) 
  • Options
    Difficult one to predict, but we usually start well first game at home. The side still looks too similar to last year's one for my liking 
  • Options
    3-1 May , Camara and Fraser - we show we have one of the best midfields in the League as well as goal poacher in Alfie. Camara to be player of the season. 
  • Options
    2 - 2
  • Options
    Enjoyed the 1st of your ever excellent previews this season @ForeverAddickted

As most of you are saying, we start with a solid win. A marker must be laid down early doors. The squad isn't complete yet, but we have enough to roll these lot over. 

For those lucky enough to get  to the game, enjoy! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d love to think we’ll roll Orient over but we are struggling on the left side of the defence and up front. Camara not 100% match fit.  Orient will be right up to it for their first game back in league one and with a full away end. Easy is not the way I see it. 
  • Options
    I think 1-1, start well but concede late on to share the spoils.
  • Options
    Orient sold out their 3200 tickets
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Southbank said:

Because Ipswich will be aiming for the championship play offs. He’s good but he’s not that good. 

May is the Rak-Sakyi replacement. We’ve changed formation so we don’t play with wingers anymore. May has replaced Rak-Sakyi as the main goal threat 

Edun has replaced Sessegnon. Not sure if he is better but he might be fitter. Asiimwe has replaced Clare, he might not be better yet but he definitely will be a better player than Clare. Plus we will probably sign another wing back that will hopefully be an upgrade on those 2 (or it could be Sessegnon) 
    Who has replaced Bonne then? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Southbank said:

Who has replaced Bonne then? 
    The invisible man as hes better than Bonne and caught Offside a lot less as well.. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I am hoping for a line up something like this .. barring injury

4 3 3 .. Maynard B .. Egbo Hector Thomas Edun .. Dobson Fraser Camara .. Anderson May Blackett-Taylor

Nothing too fancy .. Anderson has been scoring goals, let him have a bash while his confidence must be high

Important game this, a lot of us a expecting us to have a very good season .. i m o important that we get off to a very positive start
  • Options
    Not a bad preview, but to be honest I was hoping for a more comprehensive overhaul of our match preview squad, and more of a break from the failure of last season. 

It's disappointing that the attempts to bring in Exeter Life's best writer have failed so far.
    I'm still living off that one Promotion we got whilst I was at the helm

The two Relegations on the hand, clearly NOT my fault!!
  • Options
    Make sure you have waterproof if you are going, will be very wet. How good the game will be is another question 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ross1 said:
    Make sure you have waterproof if you are going, will be very wet. How good the game will be is another question 
    Cool and windy too. More like October than August!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But the first home game is always "shirt sleeve weather"!
    I am absolutely gutted I won't be there for this, I never miss the first home game of the season.
    I'll miss that wonderful moment walking down Floyd Road full of excitement, anticipation and hope.
    Full on misery by the Bristol Rovers game, plus raincoat.  ;)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    hat trick for Alfie, 3-1.
    the kind of expectation that sets you up to fail. 
    The greatest danger to most is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but it is too low and we reach it.
    I wasn't referring to the score, but the hattrick. 
  • Options
    I am confident we will win but even if we don't, it is a long season and we are led to believe there will be additions. We are going to need those additions win, lose or draw on Saturday. I think accepting that, we are in a good place.
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton. Fraser (23), May (88) and Pigott (49)
  • Options
    Got a horrible feeling we might lose this
  • Options
    Newly promoted team, full of confidence and out to prove a point. 0-3.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    hat trick for Alfie, 3-1.
    the kind of expectation that sets you up to fail. 
    The greatest danger to most is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but it is too low and we reach it.
    Sounds like the crossbar challenge most weeks, where the ball never leaves the ground  :D
  • Options

Don’t accept it’s critical to win and get 3 points for promotion prospects as the team we put out will not be the team we put out in 6 weeks or 10 weeks time. 

it will more importantly give a pointer to whether our depth of squad can support a promotion push. 

I’m optimistic our best 11 including a few quality signings/loans will  be able to compete for top 6 and hopefully a top 2. 

It’s how we cope with injuries and suspensions that I think will prove the biggest challenge and this first game, with some second string players, will be a good indicator.
  • Options
    1-0 Asiimwe (74)