Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Leyton Orient | Saturday 5th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Leyton Orient
Saturday 5th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Introduction
Welcome back to the mad house, and what appears to be yet another era in the history books for Charlton Athletic Football Club - We go into this new campaign with our fourth owners in four years; Charlie Methven and his motley crew, the latest group to take control in SE7... Pre-Season has seen slight rays of optimism, most of our business has been completed prior to the opener, and performances on the pitch have been promising... for the most part.

The rehearsals are done... Opening night afternoon is upon us.

The Opposition
Name: Leyton Orient | Manager: Richie Wellens
Last Season: 1st (League Two)
Ground: Brisbane Road

First up are the Champions from League Two, the once called: Clapton Orient

It has been eight seasons since our opponents last graced League One, with two of those in the National League - 2022-23 saw Orient top of the Division for all but five games, they're a team that have learnt how to win under Wellens, who favours a 4-3-3 setup - The foundations of their title winning squad was built on a strong defence... just 34-goals conceded, the best in the League. Its important they repeat that, this coming year ahead if they want to avoid an instant return to back to the fourth tier... Pre-Season could have ended a little better, instead three defeats and three draws, majority of which have been against Non-League opposition... Slightly concerning maybe

The defensive aspect from last season could give Orient fans a little bit of confidence coming into League One, however their squad has suffered - Goalkeeper: Lawrence Vigouroux, and top-scorer: Paul Smyth have departed... joining Burnley and QPR respectively, two tough roles to replace in any squad.

Incoming at Brisbane Road to find the goals, is Joe Pigott, well known in these parts... Signed after being released by Ipswich, and will be looking to rediscover his old form at this level - Idris El Mizouni who has re-signed on loan from Ipswich for a second year, is my recommendation to keep an eye on for this particular clash, primarily because he was a brief transfer target for the Addicks this summer... Winger: Theo Archibald impressed during our Pre-Season friendly three weeks ago, and will be looking to carry on his form from last year... He completed League Two as Orient's best creative outlet with six assists.

Charlton Team News
The start of any season means that there are always new candidates for the Valiant 500, and this year is no different - Of those new signings, you'd expect to see guaranteed involvement from Alfie May, Panutche Camará and Lloyd Jones this coming Saturday... Tayo Edun and Terry Taylor on the other hand probably have to wait for our League Cup clash in South Wales before we see how they can contribute to this coming campaign.

The big question is the Goalkeeper... Will we stick with Ashley Maynard-Brewer, a player who has missed just the one game since we changed Manager, or will opt for new signing Harry Isted who just missed out on promotion via. the Play-Offs with Barnsley back in May (that's the month, not our shiny new Striker) - The Manager must decide whether to play 4-3-3, or 3-5-2, the two formations which Dean Holden has favoured this summer, should we go with the latter then Alfie May needs a strike partner, not an easy decision given our lack of options in attack.

Maynard-Brewer
Ness - Hector - Jones
Asiimwe - Camara - Dobson - Blackett-Taylor
Fraser
May - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Isted - Egbo - Thomas - Anderson - Payne - Kirk - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Ref first game at this level .. in a London derby good old EFL 
  • Options
    Think DH will play safe and go 433 

AMB
    Asiimwe 
    Jones
    Hector
    Thomas

Dobson
    Camara
    Fraser

Campbell
    May 
    CBT 

• Options
    I haven't felt in the last two friendlies we looked that sharp for big spells. 

However we do seem to have been able to score goals and look cutting for short spells. We need to go all out for the three points however we line up. 

Personally think we may need to break the 3-5-2 until we have the second forward required. 
  • Options
    this is a very off the wall suggestion, but here goes

May needs a sticking partner hoe will receive the ball, hold up, move and pass, at present we do not have one, nor is Campbell,CBT, Kanu or Kirk the answer, instead how about trying Zach Mitchell in this position, he has good ball skills can see a pass and is quite tall?

As I said off the wall
    Can see where you're coming from and Mitchell is a really good footballer who will do well in either central defence or defensive central midfield. But, IMHO, he's too slow to play up front and that is something you can't train into a player.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m over optimistic as usual. 
    But if we play like we did against Millwall in the first half then we’ll win this, if it’s more like the Aberdeen fist half them anything could happen. 
    I’m looking forward to it, but if we lose it’s going to be a gloomy weekend. 
  • Options
    Shame I wont be there first game of the season but looking forward to this season!

Think we will win 2-0 but Orient will fly out the traps first 20 I am sure so contain that and I am sure we will get a result. 
  • Options
    One game at a time but agree with @sethplum .. it’s a must win game
  • Options
    Looking forward to this with a bit more optimism. Would feel better if we had Leaburn fit or a new striker in to support Alfie up top. Still going for a win. 2-1. Fraser and May.
  • Options
    We don't have any aerial attacking threat to bring on from the bench, to "mix it up". So, let's hope we do the business during the game.
  • Options
    Important to get off to a good start and build towards a strong first 10 games. With Reading coming down and not being in the picture and the potential of big money L2 teams coming up next year, we need to do the business this season.

With various people suggesting we could and should be playoffs minimum, games like this are important. Even as a promoted L2 side, they won’t be easy to turn over. First game of the season normally gets a decent crowd and an early Charlton goal would settle the nerves and get the crowd going.

Hoping that we play and defend smartly, and not be forced into chasing the game. If we play to our potential, this game should be relatively comfortable. Squad feels good, but need to start the hard work from the first game.

Predicting a 3-1 home win. Can’t wait to be there on Saturday. Hopefully it doesn’t tip it down!
  • Options
    Good preview.  Nice to be back in business and with a veneer of stability.  Hopefully a routine home win to get us off and running. 2-0. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    1-1. late equaliser leaves us moaning about the lack of a strike partner for May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the preview FA. Great to be back in action - both you and the football.

Looking forward to this with more optimism than the last couple of years. We certainly must not lose. We still don't have a fully fit and balanced team, but I am sure Orient are in the same position. I hope we play 4-3-3 as we really don't have the wing-backs to play 3-5-2, and CBT is a liability as a wing-back (he simply cannot defend and leaves huge gaps that exposes the LCB). I think we will win this, but will concede one or two. A tense 3-2 win to the mighty Addicks! 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I thought last seasons squad was nowhere near good enough and I was hoping for a major shake up player wise. 
    Against Aberdeen 8 of our starting 11 we're here last season. 
    So I'm not as confident as I was hoping to be .
    Having said that I think the general feeling among our fans is far more optimistic this season. 
    I hope we start the season with a win to keep the feel good factor among our fans and bring in a couple of decent signings sooner rather than later. 
    3.1 Charlton 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    Can you really say that Asiimwe was one of the eight players here last season?

Likewise... I wouldnt say that Maynard-Brewer | Ness | Dobson | Fraser were the problem either
  • Options
    I thought last seasons squad was nowhere near good enough and I was hoping for a major shake up player wise. 
    Having said that I think the general feeling among our fans is far more optimistic this season. 
    I hope we start the season with a win to keep the feel good factor among our fans and bring in a couple of decent signings sooner rather than later. 
    3.1 Charlton 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    He was on our books,  so yes.
    Only 3 new signings started against Aberdeen. 
    Personally I was hoping for a couple more. 
  • Options
    3.1 Charlton 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    He was on our books,  so yes.
    Only 3 new signings started against Aberdeen. 
    Personally I was hoping for a couple more. 
    One was on the bench, whilst two others will be involved in the long run
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0
    Are you Happy Valley under a new name or just extremely confident. Talking of confidence all I can see on the prediction league thread is home wins.
  • Options
    squad not good enough, couple of new signings not fit yet, one senior striker, playing a promoted team - CAFC 1 The Orient 3
  • Options
    I don't like the look of that bench. I think this might be tough, Orient will be in buoyant mood after their promotion and will be backed by a big following. 2-2.
  • Options
    Unlike others, I don't think were going to struggle at all, the pre season friendly wont really have much reflection on a league game at the Valley. I'm going 3 nil Charlton.