Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Leyton Orient | Saturday 5th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Head saying draw heart wants three points, 3-1.
  • Options
    I'll be there, so no doubt it'll rain cats and dogs. But if it's 2 - 0 to us I won't care!
  • Options
    2-2 
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton 

Impressive away numbers, but highly annoying in that I believe we only get circa 1,000 tickets at Brisbane Road, so lots will miss out for that match
  • Options
    2-2. Expect a really slow start with a late push from 70 minutes onwards to get a draw. I feel quite optimistic about this season as a whole but think it's going to take us 4-6 weeks to really get going.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    For all the enthusiasm (me included) at this summer’s recruitment, that team don’t half look wonky with a smattering of half fit footballers. Which feels a bit like that last two seasons all over again. 
    Shame the new lot didn’t take control in January, as we’d have had better pre close season planning and scouting in place. 

We are where we are though. COYRs

2-2
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    2-2. Expect a really slow start with a late push from 70 minutes onwards to get a draw. I feel quite optimistic about this season as a whole but think it's going to take us 4-6 weeks to really get going.
    I think if it takes us 4 to 6 weeks to get up to speed, I fear that HMS Piss theLeague may have already sailed!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    For all the enthusiasm (me included) at this summer’s recruitment, that team don’t half look wonky with a smattering of half fit footballers. Which feels a bit like that last two seasons all over again. 
    Shame the new lot didn’t take control in January, as we’d have had better pre close season planning and scouting in place. 

We are where we are though. COYRs

2-2
    I know what you mean but i thought the team that started against Millwall looked very fit and sharp - much more so than them, with the exception of Kirk. 
  • Options
    Unlike others, I don't think were going to struggle at all, the pre season friendly wont really have much reflection on a league game at the Valley. I'm going 3 nil Charlton.
    Orient’s pre-season opposition wouldn’t have tested them too much in preparation for what they will encounter this Saturday, even if one the clubs was Charlton:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Wouldn’t it be great if we kicked off with a resounding performance and a 3 or 4-0 victory but as you say apathy has set in, more like rigor mortis in my case. Despite optimism I’m always inclined to be found at Pessimism Is Me.

First home game of the season always a must go in previous seasons, will not necessarily be continued at the start of this one. I haven’t made my mind up whether to attend or not probably be a last minute call,

Very much hope I’m proved wrong and any new signings before the window closes, could go a long way to lifting my own malaise.

The Q&A with DH could be telling, though I expect him to be bullish and give little away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see the Match Previews return at last! 

Isted
           Ness  Hector  Thomas
    Asiimwe   Dobson      CBT
              Camara   Fraser
                     Payne
                      May

First couple of games always tough to call and can throw up surprising results while players and teams get to grips with real match tempo.

1-1

• Options
    Unlike others, I don't think were going to struggle at all, the pre season friendly wont really have much reflection on a league game at the Valley. I'm going 3 nil Charlton.
    Orient’s pre-season opposition wouldn’t have tested them too much in preparation for what they will encounter this Saturday, even if one the clubs was Charlton:

They lost 1-0 to Bishops Stortford !!!
  • Options

Isted
           Ness  Hector  Thomas
              Camara   Fraser
                     Payne
                      May

First couple of games always tough to call and can throw up surprising results while players and teams get to grips with real match tempo.

1-1

That’s a seriously vertically challenged attack.
    Same with Campbell.
    Desperate for a hold up striker. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Isted
           Ness  Hector  Thomas
              Camara   Fraser
                     Payne
                      May

1-1

Same with Campbell.
    Definitely. I think the board (Charlton and Charlton life) are underestimating our lack of threat and ability in the air. Let's see.
  • Options

They lost 1-0 to Bishops Stortford !!!
    Results wise they've had a shocking pre-season. Not only did they lose to Bishop's Stortford, they lost to Chelmsford, Colchester and Ebbsfleet.

They got a draw against us, Dagenham and Billericay. The only win was against Brentwood.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Isted
           Ness  Hector  Thomas
              Camara   Fraser
                     Payne
                      May

1-1

Same with Campbell.

Stealth attack. Wont see us coming. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Isted
           Ness  Hector  Thomas
              Camara   Fraser
                     Payne
                      May

1-1

Same with Campbell.
    Sod playing with a striker to hold up play for somebody else to catch up, all that usually does is give the opposition more time to catch up and stop any attempt at goal. If somebody has the ball and can see the goal then they should go for it themselves, not wait for somebody they can waste the ball to so they can waste the chance instead
  • Options
    We shoudl win but it will be tighter than a lot of people are expecting as Orient will be well up for this.   

2-1   ( May & Taylor )
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    hat trick for Alfie, 3-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the kind of expectation that sets you up to fail. 
  • Options
    2-0 home win
  • Options
    2 - 2 
    Some very good play from Charlton at times let down by two defensive blunders
  • Options
    The exciting CAFC 2023 new era in full:

Zero fit left backs.
    One fit striker
    18 fit midfielders of whom only three are any good and one of them isn't fit either.  
    32 fit owners of whom some are not anonymous offshore tax avoiders.

1-2
    That's the spirit Grumps...
  • Options
    I thought last seasons squad was nowhere near good enough and I was hoping for a major shake up player wise. 
    Against Aberdeen 8 of our starting 11 we're here last season. 
    So I'm not as confident as I was hoping to be .
    Having said that I think the general feeling among our fans is far more optimistic this season. 
    I hope we start the season with a win to keep the feel good factor among our fans and bring in a couple of decent signings sooner rather than later. 
    3.1 Charlton 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    Can you really say that Asiimwe was one of the eight players here last season?
    He was on our books,  so yes.
    Only 3 new signings started against Aberdeen. 
    Personally I was hoping for a couple more. 
    One was on the bench, whilst two others will be involved in the long run
    Yeh, but "the long run" doesn't cut it does it FA.
    The season proper starts Saturday and once again we begin slightly undercooked.
    The biggest issue for me is the lack of strike partner for May.
    Kirk as some kind or roaming false 9 just won't do, however hard he tries to build on a link-up with Fraser.
    I'm not as sold on CBT as most. He had the Aberdeen full back on toast last Saturday but what did we have to show for it. So often he fails to find a red shirt in the box or doesn't get a quality shot off.
    Jes Rak-Sakyi is going to be so conspicuous by his absence.
    Having said all that, I am still hopeful that what we do have will be enough to get a result
  • Options
    I can't believe it's back. I think Egbo starts, and after Saturday, I think Thomas might slot in on the left. Ness did not look great (he wasn't the only one).

Hoping Taylor and Edun are fit enough for the bench. It probably means Anderson and Assimwe miss out, but injuries and rotation will happen and I'm sure both will get their chances.

Miles on his way back and hopefully back by the end of the month, Chuks not far behind him.

First game is August 5th, and some decent players are going to miss out on the matchday squad. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I can't believe it's back. I think Egbo starts, and after Saturday, I think Thomas might slot in on the left. Ness did not look great (he wasn't the only one).

Hoping Taylor and Edun are fit enough for the bench. It probably means Anderson and Assimwe miss out, but injuries and rotation will happen and I'm sure both will get their chances.

Miles on his way back and hopefully back by the end of the month, Chuks not far behind him.

First game is August 5th, and some decent players are going to miss out on the matchday squad. 
    Do you think Dean 'saved' Egbo from pre season friendlies to start the first league game. I don't quite get the logic here.
  • Options
    Orient are getting pumped I’m convinced of it, things are better, they’ve lost some key players.  I’m not too fussed when CBT turns up LWB because we’ll be dominating.

3-0, May, Fraser & Campbell.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    the kind of expectation that sets you up to fail. 
    The greatest danger to most is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but it is too low and we reach it.