Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aberdeen Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I loved all the big time match reports v Welling and Wealdstone!
  • Options
    That was a thrashing and could’ve been worse.
    They have very good players a very good structure and are well up for it. We can hardly live with them and maybe it is now damage limitation.
    Reality check and all that.
  • Options
    These guys can’t play three at the back. Wrong formation for the players selected. 
  • Options
    Bit of a worry that I’m the last 2 halves we have played we have conceded 5 goals and a missed Penalty. 

I’ve never been convinced by Ness, would much rather Thomas was the 3rd CB. Clearly CBT isn’t a WB, so hopefully Edun hits the ground running and stays fit all season. 
  • Options
    I know 3-5-2 is the fashion nowadays but in my view it never suits us.

Much prefer 4-3-3 with our squad.

Maybe it will work when we have a left footed wing back & a left footed centre back on the pitch.

Morris (Aberdeen right winger) has torn us to bits on their right side today.
    Morris would have been or should have been assigned to CBT. I'm not a fan of CBT but in fairness to him I would never expect him to track a winger, CBT only understands offence not defence. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Well I think this answers the question about what comparable level the Scottish Premiership is 😂 
    Aberdeen are championship level, no more.
    Their front two and Shinnie are definitely playing above Championship level. We’ve not helped ourselves at all but they’ve been very very good to the point where it could be 5 or 6 already…

They're not English Premier League standard though. Shinnie for example has never played in the EPL
  • Options
    Everyone's warming up, maybe we'll see wholesale changes instead at half time? 

Can't be much worse
  • Options

Maybe it will work when we have a left footed wing back & a left footed centre back on the pitch.

Morris is Aberdeen’s right wing back.

They are playing the same formation as us, with a very attacking option on one side.

So just as there is space behind CBT, there is space behind Morris. Which is why the couple of times we’ve looked good, it’s come from down the left.

Unfortunately they’re better than us. And the bloke who’s meant to be holding it all together at the back in Hector has just had his worst 45 (apart from perhaps Derby away?) in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    CBT has to play as he is our best threat in an attacking sense. I’m not sure league one teams will be able to expose the gaps he leaves as much as today. Hopefully anyway
  • Options
    This formation is seeing us exposed far too easily. It’s so easy for the opposition to attack down the wing when our wing backs are up field.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Orient scouts will be watching. I'm increasingly fancying a bet on the away win next week.
    So your equating Aberdeen with Orient...🤔

Yes. All three sides will be looking to take, and apply, lessons from this game, presumably.
  • Options
    Don't know whats happening at the back, they look like they can just walk through us every time. May looks OK, but too isolated where he is. He needs more support. Not sure what's going on with Kirk but his position looks all wrong to me. He's too far out to be a proper forward and too far in to be a winger. He's just blocking the space that CBT could be running in to. I'd rather see a traditional 442 with a proper left back, CBT on the wing and a proper battling forward closer to, and working with, May.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    AndyG said:
    Well I think this answers the question about what comparable level the Scottish Premiership is 😂 
    Aberdeen are championship level, no more.
    Their front two and Shinnie are definitely playing above Championship level. We’ve not helped ourselves at all but they’ve been very very good to the point where it could be 5 or 6 already…

They're not English Premier League standard though. Shinnie for example has never played in the EPL
    They’re playing very well, their press has been immaculate and Shinnie is at the heart of it. Duk is destined for a higher level and the number 9, while not the most clinical, is doing a very good job of pressuring our back line and forcing mistakes.

Whether they are individually above Championship standard, probably not the case. But as an attacking unit they’re playing like it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

And so he should with the  oceans of space he’s been allowed mate. What pi55es me off is that a professional footballer albeit a winger playing out of position is not alive to the runs Morris is making. Also I see Fraser was playing wider left after the drinks break to provide more cover that side after the damage has been done🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    Has that CB 3 played together before? It's not been an ideal pre season in defence, as the likes of Hector and Jones do seem short of minutes
  • Options
    Got a text that we are being turned over. Only just checked and after 30 mins we are 3-0 down.

Wake up call to Methven & Co.
  • Options
    Are Aberdeen any good?

Is it a bit like Charlton playing Celtic or Rangers both way above and beyond the rest in Scottish Premiership?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    1 bar open in the North lower. Queues for days. Shocking 
    It’s because nobody bought a ticket in advance and everybody has paid on the day, otherwise they would have known we we all coming to the game today 
  • Options
    Are Aberdeen any good?

Is it a bit like Charlton playing Celtic or Rangers both way above and beyond the rest in Scottish Premiership?
    I wouldn't say they are markedly better than Millwall, for instance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naivety there from Holden in the starting line up. Just look at it! Too attacking with a very thin defence. You must have a strong defence so you can build from there. Instead they're just running through us. A very poor half. Let's see what we do at HT but naivety imo from Holden.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    CBT has to play as he is our best threat in an attacking sense. I’m not sure league one teams will be able to expose the gaps he leaves as much as today. Hopefully anyway
    Can he play as the second striker then? Surely more of a goal threat than Kirk
  • Options
    Has that CB 3 played together before? It's not been an ideal pre season in defence, as the likes of Hector and Jones do seem short of minutes
    Only other time is the first half against Wealdstone
  • Options
    Are Aberdeen any good?

Evidently a higher standard than us or in League One.

They're exploiting the defensive gap behind CBT and dragging our back line all over the shop.

• Options
    The B team clearly weren’t good enough in the first half, hopefully the A team do better in the second half
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Are Aberdeen any good?

Not especially. Just doing the obvious - exploiting the weakness, creating chances, converting them.

I'd expect a decent L1 side to do similar.
  • Options
    Aberdeen look pretty reasonable.  If they were in the Championship, I'd tip them for play-offs at least. That said if they were in the Prem I'd tip them for relegation. It's all relative though, because they can only play against who's in front of them and they are making that look very easy this afternoon. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Naivety there from Holden in the starting line up. Just look at it! Too attacking with a very thin defence. You must have a strong defence so you can build from there. Instead they're just running through us. A very poor half. Let's see what we do at HT but naivety imo from Holden.
    How much can you improve that defence though if Edun is not ready yet and Egbo is too fragile? Yes we need defensive reinforcement but we knew that already