Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if Newcastle would be interested when Ashworth goes to Man United 🤣
  • Options
    vff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    vff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    vff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Have we ever heard publicly from Lenagan if he has so much say on things? Seems a bit odd to have a Sporting Director and a Technical Director as I'd have thought there would have been quite a bit of crossover in terms of who's responsible for what. 

Hopefully NJ being appointed as manager and not head coach takes out a lot of the ambiguity surrounding who's responsible for what. 
    We haven’t but I guess that’s because Lenegan works for GFP not CAFC. Still think that in the next 5 years GFP will buy a team somewhere like Holland or a lower division team in France or Spain, maybe even Asia given the ownership connection. Lenegan will then oversee the sporting operation of the whole group to make sure strategy is similar. 

Roland spectacularly failed with the multi club model so CAFC fans are rightfully sceptical but it can work when done correct. CAFC need to be a lot more successful for it to work though, you need to be top end Championship minimum
    I wouldn't say that is too far from the mark, and I believe the direction they would go, but Charlton being the flagship of it. Charlie has been the public figure, but is he the brains behind it and the power, I am not so sure! 

Your friend ‘ Charlie ‘ . I hope you are getting some airline tickets or discount off the season tickets for all this PR deflection & muddying of the water 🤞
    Yes, I get regular meals at Burj Al Arab on the clubs expenses, along with private jet to every single game! Oh he also allows me to have the final say on everything that happens! Along with the odd bit of 'Charlie'...
    So a real ‘ proper Charlie’ then  💫 Good for you Dubai, glad that you are getting some ‘hospitality’ alongside the retainer. 
    Yes, also have a new set of wheels sitting outside the mansion as well.

New sets of wheels in the car park, powerpoints that promise glorious futures don't match up to reality,  crap Jan transfer windows and dodgy SMTs and hangers on. 
    Charlton supporters been there and seen that.
    It would be great if you could run something by 'Charlie'.
    To symbolise a new beginning with Nathan Jones and Paul Hart - In the centre circle before the next home game - could 'Charlie' burn a pair of his pink trousers, with their strategy plan (pretty thin that one), suggesty using Andy Scott's powerpoints as fuel and add the 352 formation too.
    Then 'Charlie' make a proper and solemn promise that the SMT will hand over control of the footballing side with identifying new players and team formation to Nathan Jones and Paul Hart. The SMT can then count paper clips (drawing a wage) or whatever expertise they have.
    It would really encourage Chartlon supporters & the team for survival in League One and future success. Cheers.

Sure I ask him next week, on the yacht party we have planned next week...
  • Options
    Honestly believe the January transfer window has sent us down. 

We desperately needed some creativity in the middle and we signed defensive midfielders instead. 

Desperately needed a winger but forcing this 3-5-2 instead which we have never shown we can perform with. 
    It seems some of the January signings are working out after all.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

We desperately needed some creativity in the middle and we signed defensive midfielders instead. 

Desperately needed a winger but forcing this 3-5-2 instead which we have never shown we can perform with. 
    Nathan Jones transforming the team might well have kept Scott in a job.

Perhaps some of them weren't bad players after all, especially the defensive signings who mostly looked absolutely hopeless under Appleton.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Are they? 

Our best player is Anderson in the middle and Kanu up front. 

The defensive signings have proven to be good, but my statement about midfield purchases isn't untrue. Where are Bakinson and Fiorini after all? 
  • Options
    Nathan will definitely have his own way about who’s in and out. That’s just who he is and good for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

Are they? 

The defensive signings have proven to be good, but my statement about midfield purchases isn't untrue. Where are Bakinson and Fiorini after all? 
    Very much doubt we'll see Fiorini in the shirt again.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Are they? 

Very much doubt we'll see Fiorini in the shirt again.
    I wouldn't write him off just yet. Yes fitness is needed (hasnt he turned out for the U23's a couple times?) but hes not a bad player. We know jones likes to rotate and has been picking sides based on a specific gameplan for the opposition we are facing that day. With the run of tough games now over I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiorini used in a free role against some of the weaker teams where we should have more of the ball. I expect he will at least come into consideration in the rotation in the next month or so.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Turn around is due to Nathan Jones. Nathan Jones and Paul Hart need to control as much of the football and player decisions as possible. Under Scott the squad is unbalanced and bloated. In the next transfer window, Nathan Jones needs to be identifying the players and the characters needed to send the team upwards.
    I love NJ, and I think he's overseen a massive improvement in performances in very short time... but in his most successful role to date, at Luton, he wasn't principally responsible for player identification or recruitment, so why would we give him that responsibility now?  He's already said that he has license to reject signings he doesn't want and that he could have blocked the Small and Ramsay signings - does he need more power than this?

Scott is eminently replaceable, but the idea that we just lump his responsibilities onto Jones seems like a step backwards, and likely not making the most of NJ's obvious talents.
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    Turn around is due to Nathan Jones. Nathan Jones and Paul Hart need to control as much of the football and player decisions as possible. Under Scott the squad is unbalanced and bloated. In the next transfer window, Nathan Jones needs to be identifying the players and the characters needed to send the team upwards.
    I love NJ, and I think he's overseen a massive improvement in performances in very short time... but in his most successful role to date, at Luton, he wasn't principally responsible for player identification or recruitment, so why would we give him that responsibility now?  He's already said that he has license to reject signings he doesn't want and that he could have blocked the Small and Ramsay signings - does he need more power than this?

Scott is eminently replaceable, but the idea that we just lump his responsibilities onto Jones seems like a step backwards, and likely not making the most of NJ's obvious talents.

Fair point, but there was someone else competent at Luton managing this ? Harford ? Andy Scott has not proved any particlular level of competency in his job -  Nathan Jones got hired but we had an unbalanced squad and Atherton was hired in the first place and left in place far too long. Fortunate that Nathan Jones has managed to turn things around so quickly. I want Nathan Jones able to get good characters in that will be up for giving everything for club. This was essential for Curbs and Chris Powell building winning and tough teams.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones has made the biggest difference. He is also almost certainly the one behind both Ramsey and Small; who appear 2 of the better Jan signings.

Fiorini and Ward seem a total waste of time.

Bakinson and Ladapo I would hope are improved on in the summer. 

Coventry looks good. 

REG and Gillesphey have had good and bad moments.
    Fiorini was more an Appleton signing, while Ward was a 3rd keeper to make up for the lack of a decent U21 keeper to play that role. At the end of the day, Coventry, REG and Gillesphey all played well yesterday, so Scott has to be given some credit for them. And summer signings like Jones and Isted are now looking like reasonable or decent signings now too.

Our loan signings this season haven't worked out at all, that's been a massive problem this season, but with a strong finish to the season under Jones we should be in a good position to get the quality ones in the summer, rather than the leftovers.
  • Options
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:

Fair point, but there was someone else competent at Luton managing this ? Harford ? Andy Scott has not proved any particlular level of competency in his job -  Nathan Jones got hired but we had an unbalanced squad and Atherton was hired in the first place and left in place far too long. Fortunate that Nathan Jones has managed to turn things around so quickly. I want Nathan Jones able to get good characters in that will be up for giving everything for club. This was essential for Curbs and Chris Powell building winning and tough teams.
    I think that's all fair, and definitely think Harford's work (and the broader analytics team at Luton) is a massive part of their success, as demonstrated by how they've kept on going with Rob Edwards. 

Ultimately we're 19th in the table and Scott himself said the buck stops with him.  I just think a lot of the issues with squad balance and recruiting for "character" have been here long before he arrived.  I also think it's important for us that the biggest "misses" in recruitment have all been on loans and short-term deals this year.  There aren't too many players we're tied to long-term that I'm worried about (and we've successfully exited a few I was), which gives us lots of options in the summer.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 28
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:

I think that's all fair, and definitely think Harford's work (and the broader analytics team at Luton) is a massive part of their success, as demonstrated by how they've kept on going with Rob Edwards. 

Ultimately we're 19th in the table and Scott himself said the buck stops with him.  I just think a lot of the issues with squad balance and recruiting for "character" have been here long before he arrived.  I also think it's important for us that the biggest "misses" in recruitment have all been on loans and short-term deals this year.  There aren't too many players we're tied to long-term that I'm worried about (and we've successfully exited a few I was), which gives us lots of options in the summer.

Andy Scott says that the buck stops with him, but I don't see any responsiblity being taken. The thing about character is important. That striker from Peterborough, Johnson - Harris clearly didn't want to be at Charlton but was pursued, which could have wasted £500k. How did Scott let it get so public or go so far ? I know that the Peterbrough guy is not averse to speaking publicly about players he wants moving on but that farago was not good.
    I am just seeing some attempts to skate over Scott's role / claim some reflected glory / rewrite history in decisions, because of Nathan Jones' success. Not really impressed with pinning the team inbalance on previous administrations. Its a real politicians argument.  Skating over weaknesses in Scott's performance doesn't help Scott improve, or Charlton Athletic to go forward.
    Picking up lessons from Luton's success so that Nathan Jones is supported the best as can be, so he can manage effectively, and get the right players needs to be the focus.
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:

Think we're basing too much on a few decent performances if we're saying that now the recruitment was good.

We still have a number of senior players out on loan who will return in the summer.

The loans continue to be less than impressive, three weren't even in the squad last night.

Isted looks better than AMB at the moment but I'm yet to see a dominant championship winning keeper.  But he looks more solid.

Coventry had a very good half a game but it was only half a game.

The same applies to the other 10 starters.

The defenders, Reg, MG, are improving but Small is the pick of the bunch imho and he was a Jones signing. Jury still out on T Watson and Edun although both improving. Ramsey also a Jones signing.

The core of the team remain players brought in before Scott ie May, Aneke, Ness, Dobson and the criminally under rated Thomas plus academy products in Karoy and Danu.

Yes, it takes time, yes it was a mess and it has been for a while but we've won one of our last 19 league games and are still in a real relegation fight.

Jones is giving me and most others realistic hope that we'll avoid the drop but we have, according to our finance director, the 4th or 5th biggest budget in the division. Anything less than top six is failure  and bottom six is a disaster.

So no, the recruitment has not been good.

Too often it has been too late, in positions we didn't need at the expense of those we did and for players who weren't fit enough to impact lead by managers recruited by Scott.

I think we’re arguing different points. To be clear, I am *not* defending Scott’s performance in role.   Hence why I said he was replaceable. 

He is ultimately responsible for all signings made in his tenure, (including May, Jones, Small, Coventry, Ramsay, and anyone else people are ascribing elsewhere), because that’s his job.  And as a whole, recruitment looks like it’s been poor. More damningly, our league position demonstrates he’s not doing his job well. 

My only argument is that switching around responsibilities, or giving the manager more say, doesn’t solve the issue, as we’ve seen over the various preceding models, which have all had the same flaws in squad building and have led to this point.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

I think I'm sensing a narrative being spun along the lines that all the footballing appointments who turn out to be rubbish are ones chosen by Scott, and those that are any good, he didn't want but was overruled on? If that's so, I find it odd that those who employ him and have overruled him, continue to keep faith with him. They got rid of a poor manager. Why not him?
  • Options
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:

Andy Scott says that the buck stops with him, but I don't see any responsiblity being taken. The thing about character is important. That striker from Peterborough, Johnson - Harris clearly didn't want to be at Charlton but was pursued, which could have wasted £500k. How did Scott let it get so public or go so far ? I know that the Peterbrough guy is not averse to speaking publicly about players he wants moving on but that farago was not good.
    I am just seeing some attempts to skate over Scott's role / claim some reflected glory / rewrite history in decisions, because of Nathan Jones' success. Not really impressed with pinning the team inbalance on previous administrations. Its a real politicians argument.  Skating over weaknesses in Scott's performance doesn't help Scott improve, or Charlton Athletic to go forward.
    Picking up lessons from Luton's success so that Nathan Jones is supported the best as can be, so he can manage effectively, and get the right players needs to be the focus.
    I don’t think Scott’s done well, and I completely agree re: JCH. Failing to assess players based on character is one of the single biggest issues with our recruitment and I hope we address it.  Always remember Curbs was massive on this back in the day. 
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:
    hezzla said:
    vff said:

I don’t think Scott’s done well, and I completely agree re: JCH. Failing to assess players based on character is one of the single biggest issues with our recruitment and I hope we address it.  Always remember Curbs was massive on this back in the day. 
    Same for all of our managers that have had any success with us.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    thenewbie said:
    Crusty54 said:

Are they

Yes. SOME OF them are. Which is the point made. Not all of them but that was never the claim. The defence has been improved considerably, Coventry looks like a good signing, Bakinson has a place in the rotation that Jones favours, even Ladapo at least gives us a big guy option so we can manage Aneke's minutes a bit more.

Not universally successful and definitely room for improvement, but yes, some of the January signings are indeed working out (but not all.)
    Coventry and Small I would say have made a good impact. (Admittedly again it's only been 3 games). 

I said the defensive purchases were good. I was talking about the midfield lacking creativity and the lack of support up front. We still have those issues now. 

Most of the players that have helped Jones turn the side around were here before Scott even joined. 
  • Options
    Andy Scott is a useless prick...pass it on
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 28
  • Options
    The rest of this season will help show whether this is true or not, but maybe the player signings were never the issue and it was simply a case of signing a hapless manager. (For which some responsibility needs to be taken). All the players have improved in the last month since Crappleton left.

As stated before, I have found the hateful rhetoric towards Scott really weird to be honest. There is no doubt that the January window seems to have been more successful than the Summer one so let's just see what the rest of the season brings and see if we can build on that. I think having Scott and Jones working together is better in terms of recruitment than just having one of them.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Are we that devoid of attacking threat? We've just scored 5 goals against 2 of the top teams in the division, away from home
    Valid point tbf.

Onwards and upwards fellas <3