Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
     Alfie was our only striker, we had Casey and Rylah come in...

Kanu.

Kanu.

Kanu.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:
     Alfie was our only striker, we had Casey and Rylah come in...

Kanu.

Kanu.

Kanu.
    On loan at Southend at the time?
    Not anymore though, obviously. 
  • Options
    I’m not seeing it with Kanu, lovely lad and a superb work ethic but limited ability 
    send him on loan for a full season in league two if he can get that 
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic technical director Andy Scott has talked about the League One club ensuring they have “enough options” in their striking department next season.

I wonder who he has in mind?

• Options
    edited May 10
    Where we potentially have an advantage being in league one is with our young players. Players like Anderson, Kanu, Ramsey, Small, Leaburn and Asiimwe and maybe some others can go up a level above the division. Not saying they definitely will but if one or two of them do, then we have haave the makings of something and indeed a season in league one could set them and the club up for the Championship. This doesn't happen until it happens but the possibility is definitely there. My belief is you act as if it won't happen in terms of preperations and reap the benefits if it does.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    As ever with Andy Scott, good words, sensible plans.

But we've heard similar before from him while we've been watching the wheels fall off.

Deeds, not words.
    Scott (and arguably Methven too) seem to genuinely want to do the work properly and sem to have a knowledge of how things need to be done... yet lacking some of the ability/competence to actually succeed in doing so.

He's not a Sandgaard or Duchatelet enforcing some unachievable ideal. But he still needs to prove able of actually doing his job.
  • Options
    My opinion, is a  mixture of poor decisions on his part and as he described, club and ownership.
    He was brought in to improve this. Surely this summer is his last chance to massively improve out squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mumbo jumbo from Scott. The shortlist must come from the manager, compiled from who Scott et al suggest and who Jones would like  The management/owners must then assess the financial viability of any deal and the manager then makes the decision as to who - if anyone - he wants to sign.

The bottom line is that managers live or die (usually die) by results - directors of football apparently less so (especially under the present regime).
  • Options
    edited May 10
    “Nathan will have players he likes and we’ll have players we suggest. We will put them all together. He watches them and we give a shortlist – work out financially if they fit – and then he will choose which one he wants from them."

Another shit show on the horizon, how about Nathan will have players he likes & we'll pull out all the stops to ensure that we go out & get those players. 
    Because if the players Nathan Jones personally chooses are all duds (ask Stoke fans how they enjoyed his 2019 summer signings) then we’ll have to go looking for another manager in six months with a bunch of overpaid players we can’t get rid of for the next manager.

Nathan Jones’ input should be important, the most important in the room. But he shouldn’t get a blank cheque book to do with what he likes. There has to be a club strategy that isn’t thinking in the short term only.
    I'd rather give NJ a free hand this transfer window than let Andy Scott have any say in things. 
    If things then go wrong I agree we are back to square one,   ht I'd still rather put my trust in NJ than. The idiot Scott. 
  • Options
    edited May 10
    “Nathan will have players he likes and we’ll have players we suggest. We will put them all together. He watches them and we give a shortlist – work out financially if they fit – and then he will choose which one he wants from them."

Another shit show on the horizon, how about Nathan will have players he likes & we'll pull out all the stops to ensure that we go out & get those players. 
    Because if the players Nathan Jones personally chooses are all duds (ask Stoke fans how they enjoyed his 2019 summer signings) then we’ll have to go looking for another manager in six months with a bunch of overpaid players we can’t get rid of for the next manager.

Nathan Jones’ input should be important, the most important in the room. But he shouldn’t get a blank cheque book to do with what he likes. There has to be a club strategy that isn’t thinking in the short term only.
    Because scotts signings/loans have worked so well this season haven't they ? I think I know who I'd trust to get it right.

Still waiting for scott to hold his hands up by the way as he said he would if he failed to bring in the quality required. Lowest position in 98 years seem to suggest that he didn't.
  • Options
    edited May 10

Because scotts signings/loans have worked so well this season haven't they ? I think I know who I'd trust to get it right.
    My point was that you shouldn’t let one single person dictate everything and everyone - Jones, Scott, whoever it might be. Jones even said himself when he came in that it was about building processes that means if someone leaves, the club can still be successful into the future.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 10
    Scott has proved his cluelessness. Lowest finish since 1926. Useless loans and unbalanced squad with a terrible defence. If Scott has anything to do with picking players, Charlton's chances of challenging for promotion will be severley reduced. Technical Director, what a joke. Should be only handling the most minor of paperwork. No acknowledgement of mistakes made or accountability for anything. Good at presentations but actions and evidence tell the story.
  • Options
    Unlike others before him, Nathan doesn't strike me as the type who would sit and nod his head and say everything is Rosie publicly when it isn't.

So if the shit show is to continue, I'm sure we'll know soon enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we're in danger of becoming slightly ridiculous with the hatred of Scott clouding things. Nothing Scott has said up there is outrageous. We need new players everywhere. Jones - who is a manager not a scout - will have players he knows about and would like. He'll suggest them. On top of that our scouts will look into players that fit a profile. If Jones says 'I need a strong, aggressive striker, my choice would be Theo Bair' then he goes on the list. On top of that the scouts will assess other options just in case Theo Bair would cost £3m and just in case in his year off Jones saw a good few players but not all of the ones who fit the profile. Jones will then watch the players he's been suggested and rule some out or agree that others are suitable or possibly even better. If they're financially viable - because we can't pull out all the stops beyond what our budget is - we'll hopefully get them. It's stated that Jones gets final choice. Sounds alright to me. If Jones gets his key players and we identify players that suit what he wants across the pitch then that's great, we'll just have to see how it goes.
    Bair costing 3 million, I'd be surprised if it was 300k.

As for needing players everywhere is due to poor recruitment last season.......and flogging your best players.
  • Options
    I think we're in danger of becoming slightly ridiculous with the hatred of Scott clouding things. Nothing Scott has said up there is outrageous. We need new players everywhere. Jones - who is a manager not a scout - will have players he knows about and would like. He'll suggest them. On top of that our scouts will look into players that fit a profile. If Jones says 'I need a strong, aggressive striker, my choice would be Theo Bair' then he goes on the list. On top of that the scouts will assess other options just in case Theo Bair would cost £3m and just in case in his year off Jones saw a good few players but not all of the ones who fit the profile. Jones will then watch the players he's been suggested and rule some out or agree that others are suitable or possibly even better. If they're financially viable - because we can't pull out all the stops beyond what our budget is - we'll hopefully get them. It's stated that Jones gets final choice. Sounds alright to me. If Jones gets his key players and we identify players that suit what he wants across the pitch then that's great, we'll just have to see how it goes.

As for needing players everywhere is due to poor recruitment last season.......and flogging your best players.
    I dont think Garry is saying that Bair would cost us 3m.

More that we'll no doubt have other targets that we'd turn our attention to, if he proved too costly
  • Options

That was just an example of a prohibitive fee, obviously.
  • Options

No argument on the poor recruitment but who were the best players we flogged? Lavelle? Egbo? Stockley? I'd say the only thing Scott has done consistently quite well is get rid of players who weren't cutting it anymore. The only transfer out I think was a mistake was Wollacott but I think that was more Holden led than anything else based on his misplaced belief in AMB.
  • Options

No argument on the poor recruitment but who were the best players we flogged? Lavelle? Egbo? Stockley? I'd say the only thing Scott has done consistently quite well is get rid of players who weren't cutting it anymore. The only transfer out I think was a mistake was Wollacott but I think that was more Holden led than anything else based on his misplaced belief in AMB.
    Dobson and Blackett-Taylor.
  • Options
    edited May 10
    His actions so far at Charlton Athletic leave a lot to be desired. 
    Fingers crossed that Nathan Jones has the final say in all transfers this summer. 
    Otherwise a repeat of the season gone could raise its ugly head again
  • Options

My point was that you shouldn’t let one single person dictate everything and everyone - Jones, Scott, whoever it might be. Jones even said himself when he came in that it was about building processes that means if someone leaves, the club can still be successful into the future.
    I appreciate that & agree with you but hasn't scott been doing exactly that ? He seems to have been the one pulling the strings & deciding who comes into the club & it's been a disaster. scott should be nowhere near the recruitment process.
    NJ has come into the club as manager & has a very knowledgeable & experienced right hand man together with all his other assistants & scouts at the club. They should be trusted & given support by the likes of our "Technical Director" :-) to recruit the players that they want specifically to play in the formation that they want not presented with a shortlist of players of which scott has had his input from which NJ can then choose one.