Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    “Nathan will have players he likes and we’ll have players we suggest. We will put them all together. He watches them and we give a shortlist – work out financially if they fit – and then he will choose which one he wants from them."

Another shit show on the horizon, how about Nathan will have players he likes & we'll pull out all the stops to ensure that we go out & get those players. 
    Because if the players Nathan Jones personally chooses are all duds (ask Stoke fans how they enjoyed his 2019 summer signings) then we’ll have to go looking for another manager in six months with a bunch of overpaid players we can’t get rid of for the next manager.

Nathan Jones’ input should be important, the most important in the room. But he shouldn’t get a blank cheque book to do with what he likes. There has to be a club strategy that isn’t thinking in the short term only.
    Because scotts signings/loans have worked so well this season haven't they ? I think I know who I'd trust to get it right.
    My point was that you shouldn’t let one single person dictate everything and everyone - Jones, Scott, whoever it might be. Jones even said himself when he came in that it was about building processes that means if someone leaves, the club can still be successful into the future.
    I appreciate that & agree with you but hasn't scott been doing exactly that ? He seems to have been the one pulling the strings & deciding who comes into the club & it's been a disaster. scott should be nowhere near the recruitment process.
    NJ has come into the club as manager & has a very knowledgeable & experienced right hand man together with all his other assistants & scouts at the club. They should be trusted & given support by the likes of our "Technical Director" :-) to recruit the players that they want specifically to play in the formation that they want not presented with a shortlist of players of which scott has had his input from which NJ can then choose one. 

Has he though? I don’t know who had final approval on the players we signed in the last two windows. Did Scott put together a list, based on everyone’s input, and then Holden/Appleton picked the ones they wanted? 

I don’t know the answer, but all along they’ve said this is a team effort, and if that’s true, then it’s a team failure, no one persons fault. 
  • Options
    “Nathan will have players he likes and we’ll have players we suggest. We will put them all together. He watches them and we give a shortlist – work out financially if they fit – and then he will choose which one he wants from them."

Another shit show on the horizon, how about Nathan will have players he likes & we'll pull out all the stops to ensure that we go out & get those players. 
    Because if the players Nathan Jones personally chooses are all duds (ask Stoke fans how they enjoyed his 2019 summer signings) then we’ll have to go looking for another manager in six months with a bunch of overpaid players we can’t get rid of for the next manager.

Nathan Jones’ input should be important, the most important in the room. But he shouldn’t get a blank cheque book to do with what he likes. There has to be a club strategy that isn’t thinking in the short term only.
    Because scotts signings/loans have worked so well this season haven't they ? I think I know who I'd trust to get it right.
    My point was that you shouldn’t let one single person dictate everything and everyone - Jones, Scott, whoever it might be. Jones even said himself when he came in that it was about building processes that means if someone leaves, the club can still be successful into the future.
    I appreciate that & agree with you but hasn't scott been doing exactly that ? He seems to have been the one pulling the strings & deciding who comes into the club & it's been a disaster. scott should be nowhere near the recruitment process.
    NJ has come into the club as manager & has a very knowledgeable & experienced right hand man together with all his other assistants & scouts at the club. They should be trusted & given support by the likes of our "Technical Director" :-) to recruit the players that they want specifically to play in the formation that they want not presented with a shortlist of players of which scott has had his input from which NJ can then choose one. 

Won’t the players suggested by the club, via Scott, be based on information from the assistants and scouts? 
  • Options
    If, as I suspect, NJ is basically now in charge of recruitment Scott isn’t going to come out and say that. He’s going to spin it that he still has significant input into the process. NJ wouldn’t have come here if he was going to be fobbed off at the earliest opportunity by such waffle, he would have been promised absolute charge of what goes on. Scott is just deflecting criticism of him personally. I don’t know the exact ins and outs of the Dobbo situation so it’s hard to judge and CBT going was probably the right decision at the time. Where I do think Scott should accept his responsibility’s is in that at the start of the season anything less than the play offs was failure. Well mate, we failed, miserably. He should at least acknowledge that and we move on. If it happens again though he’s surely toast.
  • Options
    Much of a muchness imo.

We know from Jan that the manger/ coach has plenty of input thanks to Appleton we got fiorini and helped bring in Coventry. 
  • Options
    Keep seeing posts saying he should own last seasons mess and said he would, but that won't placate fans. If he did, all it would do is make him continuing in his position untenable in their eyes, so there's no chance of that.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Keep seeing posts saying he should own last seasons mess and said he would, but that won't placate fans. If he did, all it would do is make him continuing in his position untenable in their eyes, so there's no chance of that.
    A bit like a millwall home game, a deafening silence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     He’s basically saying that we are going to do the same process, with the same budget but hopes NJ’s input is better than the last 2 - the reality is, NJ will be calling the shots and he can negotiate the deals - I hope 
  • Options
    vff said:
    swordfish said:
    So Scott is able to make lots of unaccountable promises about top 6 & produce the worst finish in 98 years, without explaining anything? 

Has Scott & SMT learnt anything? Its not about being placated. It’s about Scott & SMT acknowledging the disappointing season & how they plan to do better & what will be done differently.

I am yet to see evidence that Scott provides sufficient expertise on the budget available. 

Whether the budget available is competitive enough for anything other than a midtable finish is another question. 

Only what happens next season will convince me anything has been learned, not sound bites from him or anyone else.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

It does seem people won't be happy until Scott commits seppuku in front of the Covered End first game of the season... 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    995632 said:
    Methven said himself that he didn’t want to be involved in the day to day running of the club, that he realised that it wasn’t one of his strengths, that’s why Scott is here, to run the footballing side. Yes, it will take a while to turn the club around but 3 managers and the lowest finish since 1926 is a woeful performance. We could not buy a win towards the end of Appleton’s reign. We looked certain to go down. We’re led to believe the owners personally intervened with the recruitment of Jones, and just before that Scott failed to secure a deal to keep one of our better players and club captain at the club. A player that Jones seems to rate highly. It’s rubbish to say we offered Dobbo what he wanted, if they’d done that he would’ve signed, the fans are not stupid.
    A utterly miserable first full season in charge, littered with bad decisions but Scott has to own it, he’s in charge, we can’t make excuses for him. We hear messages from the SMT via posters here that they are learning, that’s worrying when we were told the SMT were supposed to be the professional option after Sandgaard’s family thinking it was like playing FIFA. But despite the calamitous season Scott is still here, explaining how he’s still involved in player decisions. Other clubs wouldn’t have been so accommodating, he would’ve been fired long ago.
    Methven has a terrible record of involvement in football, we were warned about this, everything he touches seems to turn to crap, and he is still here too. If Jones is to achieve anything next season I think it will be in despite of these two. Jones has in the past been guilty of accepting jobs where the odds were stacked against him succeeding (Stoke and Southampton). I sincerely hope he hasn’t done the same with Charlton.
    a fair chunk of our shitshow of a season is having to deal with the train wreck left to them by multiple irresponsible and incompetent previous owners. Cuts to budgets and staffing and pruning of the scouting network by successive regimes (Chapple left because Roland Rat ignored him and listened to poxy Mowgli and NightMeire) meant we had to slip into the merky waters of damaged goods with injury records/players on the way down long before Scott arrived. 
    Both those incompetent owners managed to do better than this lot have so far. In what is a remarkably weak league this year, this team have overseen our worst season in 98 years. How do you take over from such 'incompetent' owners and manage to do worse than them?

I agree that Dutchatelet cut every department to the bone - but let's not forget that it was Sandgaard left to pick up the pieces. He reinvested into the infrastructure, particularly in rebuilding the medical and coaching departments and redeveloped the training ground (in the failed attempt to gain category one status). Before him, I think the player's gym was in a tent. He still finished higher up the league than this gang.

So he inherited far worse, and yet did better. This current SMT have walked into a club with a more stable infrastructure and yet managed to perform worse than both Sandgaard and Dutchatelet. 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:
    Methven said himself that he didn’t want to be involved in the day to day running of the club, that he realised that it wasn’t one of his strengths, that’s why Scott is here, to run the footballing side. Yes, it will take a while to turn the club around but 3 managers and the lowest finish since 1926 is a woeful performance. We could not buy a win towards the end of Appleton’s reign. We looked certain to go down. We’re led to believe the owners personally intervened with the recruitment of Jones, and just before that Scott failed to secure a deal to keep one of our better players and club captain at the club. A player that Jones seems to rate highly. It’s rubbish to say we offered Dobbo what he wanted, if they’d done that he would’ve signed, the fans are not stupid.
    A utterly miserable first full season in charge, littered with bad decisions but Scott has to own it, he’s in charge, we can’t make excuses for him. We hear messages from the SMT via posters here that they are learning, that’s worrying when we were told the SMT were supposed to be the professional option after Sandgaard’s family thinking it was like playing FIFA. But despite the calamitous season Scott is still here, explaining how he’s still involved in player decisions. Other clubs wouldn’t have been so accommodating, he would’ve been fired long ago.
    Methven has a terrible record of involvement in football, we were warned about this, everything he touches seems to turn to crap, and he is still here too. If Jones is to achieve anything next season I think it will be in despite of these two. Jones has in the past been guilty of accepting jobs where the odds were stacked against him succeeding (Stoke and Southampton). I sincerely hope he hasn’t done the same with Charlton.
    a fair chunk of our shitshow of a season is having to deal with the train wreck left to them by multiple irresponsible and incompetent previous owners. Cuts to budgets and staffing and pruning of the scouting network by successive regimes (Chapple left because Roland Rat ignored him and listened to poxy Mowgli and NightMeire) meant we had to slip into the merky waters of damaged goods with injury records/players on the way down long before Scott arrived. 
    Both those incompetent owners managed to do better than this lot have so far. In what is a remarkably weak league this year, this team have overseen our worst season in 98 years. How do you take over from such 'incompetent' owners and manage to do worse than them?

I agree that Dutchatelet cut every department to the bone - but let's not forget that it was Sandgaard left to pick up the pieces. He reinvested into the infrastructure, particularly in rebuilding the medical and coaching departments and redeveloped the training ground (in the failed attempt to gain category one status). Before him, I think the player's gym was in a tent. He still finished higher up the league than this gang.

So he inherited far worse, and yet did better. This current SMT have walked into a club with a more stable infrastructure and yet managed to perform worse than both Sandgaard and Dutchatelet. 
    Think the playing squad alone was a train wreck inherited that hamstrung us. Legacy contracts we had to/couldn't shift and/or had to loan out the majority of (Kirk/McGrandles x2 loans/DJ x2 loans/Payne/Fraser/O'Connell etc). Sandgaard bought the portercabins from Reading, but allegedly didn't get enough coaches and support staff to gain Cat 1 (the whole politics of not wanting to give a L1 club Cat 1 status is another debate). Then they're was the culture (or lack thereof) that was documented with allegations of bullying and constructive dismissals etc.

Certain parts of the fanbase have said numerous times that they would accept (almost welcome) relegation to aid the removal of whatever Mickey Mouse operation was currently doing us wrong and not looking after the club with the correct amount of care, attention and support. It is possible to judge last season as our lowest point and we would've been in SERIOUS trouble if we haven't got NJ in. If we had gone down then they're would have been zero chance of getting Jones, and we would've probably slipped even further.

People saying 'just words' and 'actions matter' are correct. If we don't get players in early, have a professional and productive preseason that puts the club in the right place to sustain a credible promotion campaign, then you can bet Jones/the ownership will do something about it. Think the SMT definitely know that what has gone on before is unacceptable, they know it's not good enough for the fan base and the owners and ultimately their own positions. Jones is no mug, neither are the owners. None of them would've signed up for this (Jones' reputation has already taken a battering from Stoke/Southampton) if they didn't believe in the club and the journey we need to go on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't doubt that Methvan, Scott, Warwick and Rodwell want Charlton to be successful.

I don't doubt Sandgaard and Duchatelet wanted the same, although perhaps for different reasons.

Just as Holden and Appleton hoped and expected to be successful with us and Jones wanted to be a hit with Stoke and Southampton.

But wanting success and achieving it are very different things.

So far the UK directors haven't delivered any degree of improvement.

Yes, they inherited a mess but their contribution so far hasn't improved matters, on the pitch at least.

The line now is that the communication is better which I read as the US owners are keeping a much closer eye on what is going on and how their money is being spent.

It seems money is going to be being spent but a lot of the "legacy" issues are from the last two windows so to some degree are down to Scott, no matter how it is spun.
    More than happy for the owners to keep a closer eye on what's going on. Hoping lessons have been learnt and they get their act together. Failure to get us to the top of the table will deservedly warrant the pitch forks and flaming torches.

We all want us to be successful, we all want to have the amazing scenes we enjoyed via Powell and Bowyer. We all need to get behind everyone involved, with Jones in charge we now have the best chance of enjoying similar scenes to 2011 and 2019.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    I don't doubt that Methvan, Scott, Warwick and Rodwell want Charlton to be successful.

I don't doubt Sandgaard and Duchatelet wanted the same, although perhaps for different reasons.

Just as Holden and Appleton hoped and expected to be successful with us and Jones wanted to be a hit with Stoke and Southampton.

But wanting success and achieving it are very different things.

So far the UK directors haven't delivered any degree of improvement.

Yes, they inherited a mess but their contribution so far hasn't improved matters, on the pitch at least.

The line now is that the communication is better which I read as the US owners are keeping a much closer eye on what is going on and how their money is being spent.

It seems money is going to be being spent but a lot of the "legacy" issues are from the last two windows so to some degree are down to Scott, no matter how it is spun.
    More than happy for the owners to keep a closer eye on what's going on. Hoping lessons have been learnt and they get their act together. Failure to get us to the top of the table will deservedly warrant the pitch forks and flaming torches.

We all want us to be successful, we all want to have the amazing scenes we enjoyed via Powell and Bowyer. We all need to get behind everyone involved, with Jones in charge we now have the best chance of enjoying similar scenes to 2011 and 2019.
    But "getting behind" them shouldn't mean turning a blind eye to their failings and mistakes.

No one turning a blind eye, it's well documented we've just had our lowest finish and how badly we underperformed and the embarrassment we have become. Hopefully, the increased focus by the ownership and Jones' appointment (and probable expectations/clauses) means this is the SMT's last chance. If the recruitment and team are not successful then you'd like to think Jones/ownership will step in. 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:

Think the playing squad alone was a train wreck inherited that hamstrung us. Legacy contracts we had to/couldn't shift and/or had to loan out the majority of (Kirk/McGrandles x2 loans/DJ x2 loans/Payne/Fraser/O'Connell etc). Sandgaard bought the portercabins from Reading, but allegedly didn't get enough coaches and support staff to gain Cat 1 (the whole politics of not wanting to give a L1 club Cat 1 status is another debate). Then they're was the culture (or lack thereof) that was documented with allegations of bullying and constructive dismissals etc.

Certain parts of the fanbase have said numerous times that they would accept (almost welcome) relegation to aid the removal of whatever Mickey Mouse operation was currently doing us wrong and not looking after the club with the correct amount of care, attention and support. It is possible to judge last season as our lowest point and we would've been in SERIOUS trouble if we haven't got NJ in. If we had gone down then they're would have been zero chance of getting Jones, and we would've probably slipped even further.

People saying 'just words' and 'actions matter' are correct. If we don't get players in early, have a professional and productive preseason that puts the club in the right place to sustain a credible promotion campaign, then you can bet Jones/the ownership will do something about it. Think the SMT definitely know that what has gone on before is unacceptable, they know it's not good enough for the fan base and the owners and ultimately their own positions. Jones is no mug, neither are the owners. None of them would've signed up for this (Jones' reputation has already taken a battering from Stoke/Southampton) if they didn't believe in the club and the journey we need to go on. 
    I agree in parts, but some of those 'legacy contract' players you have listed as not good enough were actually first-team players under previous owners, and we still finished higher. We actually managed to build a team that was worse.  

Looking back, 95% of this forum saw the problems when they were happening. Firstly it was when the window closed and the squad built by Mr. Scott was clearly not strong enough to compete at the top, and secondly, it was appointing Michael Appleton, which only Mr. Scott seemed to think was a good idea. Nothing hamstrung us more than those two things, IMO. 

I think we'll do a lot better next year, but they can't blame previous owners for the disaster of this season.
    The responsibility for last season's failure is collective, not individual. Not for one moment do I believe the only person at the club to interview and be impressed by Appleton was Scott.

Scott didn't "promise" top six either. Think we'd have heard alot more about that if he had! When he joined he said they wouldn't be making claims as to where we would be and by when. Top six was the aim, and one the SMT, players, and owners collectively failed to achieve. Big difference, but if he's said too much before and is quieter now, then we can see he is learning from past mistakes 😉

Edit -And if responsibility can be landed at one person's door, then the infrastructure must be wrong that makes that possible.
  • Options
    edited May 11
    swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:

I agree in parts, but some of those 'legacy contract' players you have listed as not good enough were actually first-team players under previous owners, and we still finished higher. We actually managed to build a team that was worse.  

Looking back, 95% of this forum saw the problems when they were happening. Firstly it was when the window closed and the squad built by Mr. Scott was clearly not strong enough to compete at the top, and secondly, it was appointing Michael Appleton, which only Mr. Scott seemed to think was a good idea. Nothing hamstrung us more than those two things, IMO. 

I think we'll do a lot better next year, but they can't blame previous owners for the disaster of this season.
    The responsibility for last season's failure is collective, not individual. Not for one moment do I believe the only person at the club to interview and be impressed by Appleton was Scott.

Scott didn't "promise" top six either. Think we'd have heard alot more about that if he had! When he joined he said they wouldn't be making claims as to where we would be and by when. Top six was the aim, and one the SMT, players, and owners collectively failed to achieve. Big difference, but if he's said too much before and is quieter now, then we can see he is learning from past mistakes 😉

Edit -And if responsibility can be landed at one person's door, then the infrastructure must be wrong that makes that possible.
    I'm pretty sure Scott said that the squad was good enough for top six at a minimum? Or something along those lines

We obviously don't know who chose Appleton for sure, but according to Methven it was the footballing technical staff, i.e. Scott. It was also reported that the owners themselves got more involved in the next hiring. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    995632 said:

I'm pretty Scott said that the squad was good enough for top six at a minimum? Or something along those lines

We obviously don't know who chose Appleton for sure, but according to Methven it was the footballing technical staff, i.e. Scott. It was also reported that the owners themselves got more involved in the next hiring. 
    Yes, he did say that and it wasn't, but that's not what I understand to be a "promise" though. 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Round and round we go... Methven doesn't run the club, he apparently does some commercial/marketing work but has nothing to do with the day to day running of the football side or transfer related. He essentially had the contacts to network and speak to multi millionaires/billionaires which I don't think many of our fan base have access to. Apart from the Netflix documentary, where else has he had "a terrible record of involvement in football"? 

Scott has been less than ideal, but a fair chunk of our shitshow of a season is having to deal with the train wreck left to them by multiple irresponsible and incompetent previous owners. Cuts to budgets and staffing and pruning of the scouting network by successive regimes (Chapple left because Roland Rat ignored him and listened to poxy Mowgli and NightMeire) meant we had to slip into the merky waters of damaged goods with injury records/players on the way down long before Scott arrived. 

The 'not believing Scott let's the manager choose players' idea is also not quite right; they let Appleton have Fiorini and went after Coventry who Apples had prior knowledge of. Small and Ramsay were clearly NJ players, and he was backed and allowed to bring in Wickham and Lua Lua (no one says anything about Lua Lua who was clearly an NJ choice). If you're happy to blindly listen to Sunderland fans about Methven, then you probably can't just ignore Stoke fans criticisms of Jones and his tenure, playing style and transfer activity.

Nathan Jones is not the messiah, Scott and Methven are not evil incarnate. The bookies are usually pretty good for predictions and most had us preseason around the playoffs with the perceived quality of our squad at the time. How badly we underperformed is concerning but the season was overshadowed by Tommy boy not moving his guitars and sons black box/Xbox out fast enough, Holden (nice bloke to have a beer with) being ineffective, MA appointment (underwhelming but CV fitted what we were looking for - allegedly good with young players, play off squad experience), contract issues with key players where one refused to sign and another who felt sleighted and signed somewhere else. Plus we STILL have deadwood that needs hacking away.

We now have a top notch manager, we have investment into the club again, improved infrastructure/medical/sports science, evidence of backing regarding the transfer market and seemingly an actual plan to what we're trying to do.

The owners are not mugs, they and the SMT know that continued failure to produce results is not acceptable. This coming season should be exciting, we need to get past salmon coloured chinos and other distractions and support the team. That's not just the playing staff but everyone connected to the club, including the SMT to get us back where we belong and out of this crap league. 
    You can’t have it both ways. Methven is part of the owners board, and I can’t believe he doesn’t have considerable influence over the rest of the mainly non football background owners. So he either had a big say in the appointment of the managers and recruitment or is responsible for the hiring and firing of the people that do (the SMT including Andy Scott). The fact that Scott is still there shows the owners must still have confidence in him. Perhaps Methven wants him gone but has been overruled, but that seems unlikely. Ultimately they have confidence in a man that hired Appleton which along with sub standard recruitment resulted in the worst performance for nearly 100 years. Great!
    You’re right Methven doesn’t have a huge record in football, but even forgetting the embarrassing Netflix series, his involvement in Sunderland was a failure, this is a team which still had Premier League parachute payments yet couldn’t get out of League 1 until he left. So far, at the two clubs he’s been involved in he has a 100% record in crapness. 
    I’m really interested why you are so protective of these two, do you have some relationship to them? Surely as a Charlton you can’t be happy with their performance so far. Would you still defend them if this record continues?
  • Options
    Can I just say I'm in no way related to any of the people at Charlton, at least not that I know of, so I don't want that levelled that at me whenever I express an opinion at odds with most others. 
  • Options
    edited May 12
    995632 said:
    Round and round we go... Methven doesn't run the club, he apparently does some commercial/marketing work but has nothing to do with the day to day running of the football side or transfer related. He essentially had the contacts to network and speak to multi millionaires/billionaires which I don't think many of our fan base have access to. Apart from the Netflix documentary, where else has he had "a terrible record of involvement in football"? 

Scott has been less than ideal, but a fair chunk of our shitshow of a season is having to deal with the train wreck left to them by multiple irresponsible and incompetent previous owners. Cuts to budgets and staffing and pruning of the scouting network by successive regimes (Chapple left because Roland Rat ignored him and listened to poxy Mowgli and NightMeire) meant we had to slip into the merky waters of damaged goods with injury records/players on the way down long before Scott arrived. 

The 'not believing Scott let's the manager choose players' idea is also not quite right; they let Appleton have Fiorini and went after Coventry who Apples had prior knowledge of. Small and Ramsay were clearly NJ players, and he was backed and allowed to bring in Wickham and Lua Lua (no one says anything about Lua Lua who was clearly an NJ choice). If you're happy to blindly listen to Sunderland fans about Methven, then you probably can't just ignore Stoke fans criticisms of Jones and his tenure, playing style and transfer activity.

Nathan Jones is not the messiah, Scott and Methven are not evil incarnate. The bookies are usually pretty good for predictions and most had us preseason around the playoffs with the perceived quality of our squad at the time. How badly we underperformed is concerning but the season was overshadowed by Tommy boy not moving his guitars and sons black box/Xbox out fast enough, Holden (nice bloke to have a beer with) being ineffective, MA appointment (underwhelming but CV fitted what we were looking for - allegedly good with young players, play off squad experience), contract issues with key players where one refused to sign and another who felt sleighted and signed somewhere else. Plus we STILL have deadwood that needs hacking away.

We now have a top notch manager, we have investment into the club again, improved infrastructure/medical/sports science, evidence of backing regarding the transfer market and seemingly an actual plan to what we're trying to do.

The owners are not mugs, they and the SMT know that continued failure to produce results is not acceptable. This coming season should be exciting, we need to get past salmon coloured chinos and other distractions and support the team. That's not just the playing staff but everyone connected to the club, including the SMT to get us back where we belong and out of this crap league. 
    You can’t have it both ways. Methven is part of the owners board, and I can’t believe he doesn’t have considerable influence over the rest of the mainly non football background owners. So he either had a big say in the appointment of the managers and recruitment or is responsible for the hiring and firing of the people that do (the SMT including Andy Scott). The fact that Scott is still there shows the owners must still have confidence in him. Perhaps Methven wants him gone but has been overruled, but that seems unlikely. Ultimately they have confidence in a man that hired Appleton which along with sub standard recruitment resulted in the worst performance for nearly 100 years. Great!
    You’re right Methven doesn’t have a huge record in football, but even forgetting the embarrassing Netflix series, his involvement in Sunderland was a failure, this is a team which still had Premier League parachute payments yet couldn’t get out of League 1 until he left. So far, at the two clubs he’s been involved in he has a 100% record in crapness. 
    I’m really interested why you are so protective of these two, do you have some relationship to them? Surely as a Charlton you can’t be happy with their performance so far. Would you still defend them if this record continues?
    Not protective and zero knowledge of them other than what everyone else knows. Not happy with the current state of play of languishing in L1 and flirting with relegation. However, after years of mismanagement and under investment, we now have building blocks in place (NJ and Hart etc, performance director, sports science and medical appointments) to try to kick on. The only way we get any lower is L2 and oblivion, the ownership knows this, the fans know this and the SMT will know this. Failure to oversee a decent professional preseason with successful recruitment and preparation to go for a sustained and successful promotion campaign is when we get the pitch forks and flaming torches out. Alternatively, we somehow find another group of billionaires/multi multi millionaires to take the club off them.

They've had a year now, they have the manager they ultimately wanted, no 'bought the club too late', no terrible preseason leaving unfit/injured players. There are no more excuses for them.