Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Stevenage head of recruitment is a friend of a friend - he has absolutely smashed it on very tight budget - he lives in bexleyheath - just saying 
    The man that was responsible for recruiting Piergianni at Stevenage, would be more than welcome at Charlton for me. 

I'd rather centre backs/defenders that can actually keep a clean sheet, and not be total pussies, than some centre backs that apparently are just really good at passing? Load of good that's done us so far. 

It's absolutely ridiculous that we had a whole window to get a no nonsense centre back to increase our chances of getting some clean sheets, and we hired soft players as per. 

Is it really that hard to find a player like Innis, that has a bit of discipline about him. I wasn't Jason Pearces biggest fan but we are crying out for a player like that, he'd absolutely walk into this team. 
    Innis definitely gave us a steel that’s rarely been seen. But don’t forget the dreadful injury and disciplinary record, he was often unavailable. But you are right about Pearce and hard to believe we had someone as good as Patrick Bauer playing for us in League One.
    There was a spell, before injury where Innis was terrific for us. Offensively, he added to our threat from set pieces. Surprisingly for such a big man, he wasn't a great headerer of the ball, but he did provide a bit of chaos to increase our potency. I always think regarding centre halves, if you are playing two of them, at least one needs to be a leader and one needs to be a goal threat. It can be the same one of course. If you are playing three, at least one needs to be a leader and two need to be a goal threat.
    For a couple of months Innis and Famewo were first names on the team sheet for me. To think of the stick Famewo used to get!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    New England Tea Men - April 1978
    Flanagan,Powell and Orient .

We got very lucky that season.
    Not forgetting Lawrie Abrahams as well
    Thought he was permanent signing for The Tea Men. Where as Flanagan and Powell were loaned back.

Abrahams scored on Debut at the Cottage but really didn’t do a lot else. Maybe I am doing him an injustice. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Stevenage head of recruitment is a friend of a friend - he has absolutely smashed it on very tight budget - he lives in bexleyheath - just saying 
    The man that was responsible for recruiting Piergianni at Stevenage, would be more than welcome at Charlton for me. 

I'd rather centre backs/defenders that can actually keep a clean sheet, and not be total pussies, than some centre backs that apparently are just really good at passing? Load of good that's done us so far. 

It's absolutely ridiculous that we had a whole window to get a no nonsense centre back to increase our chances of getting some clean sheets, and we hired soft players as per. 

Is it really that hard to find a player like Innis, that has a bit of discipline about him. I wasn't Jason Pearces biggest fan but we are crying out for a player like that, he'd absolutely walk into this team. 
    Innis definitely gave us a steel that’s rarely been seen. But don’t forget the dreadful injury and disciplinary record, he was often unavailable. But you are right about Pearce and hard to believe we had someone as good as Patrick Bauer playing for us in League One.
    I didn't forget it, that's why I mentioned his disciplinary record as that was his main issue for us..

If the likes of Shrewsbury, Northampton and Stevenage have centre backs that are imposing and that can produce clean sheets, why can't we? 

Bauer was an anomaly, he was probably the best centre back in the league that season. 

Can't believe how poor this window was, I was actually generous giving it a 3.5/10. 
  • Options
    Andy Scott has proved to be utterly useless. One of the problems is that he has a perception that players who cant get in Championship sides must be good enough for league 1. When we signed Edun - my Blackburn supporting mate said he was useless. When we signed Bakinson from bottom of the Championship Sheffield Weds, my mate who is supporter had never heard of him. Gillesphey & Ladapo don’t look good enough and nor does REG. Coventry is OK but we didn’t need him because we had George in that position. 
    The only bright spark in my book is that my Harrogate supporting mate texted me immediately to say that Ramsey was their best player. He’s the guy who has not started yet because T Watson is playing there ? 

I'm pleased you have so many mates all over the Country but personally if Neil Warnock said Reg was his favourite at Huddersfield in the 10 or so games he played under him in the Championship then that is a better endorsement than mates at football clubs who could be Similar to Ronnie Moore or at the other end of the scale Blucher, Covered end or our Henry who's opinion's are worth listening too whether I agree or not.

I'm disappointed you don't have a mate in Huddersfield.

Sam no mates Soapbox.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    From Saturday’s starting eleven

1 - Played last season for Charlton (Thomas)

6 - Signed before the end of the summer window

4 - Signed during the January window

From those 6 signed before the end of the summer window, 2 had no pre season with us. (Signed on deadline day)

Out of those 10 new players Scott has been involved in 7 of those signings 

Only 3 players from that eleven have scored a league goal this season for Charlton 

Alfie May with 16

Lloyd Jones and Tennai Watson with one each

Bar May, no goals in the Team. Hence, the goals have dried up.
  • Options
    Andy Scott has proved to be utterly useless. One of the problems is that he has a perception that players who cant get in Championship sides must be good enough for league 1. When we signed Edun - my Blackburn supporting mate said he was useless. When we signed Bakinson from bottom of the Championship Sheffield Weds, my mate who is supporter had never heard of him. Gillesphey & Ladapo don’t look good enough and nor does REG. Coventry is OK but we didn’t need him because we had George in that position. 
    The only bright spark in my book is that my Harrogate supporting mate texted me immediately to say that Ramsey was their best player. He’s the guy who has not started yet because T Watson is playing there ? 

I'm pleased you have so many mates all over the Country but personally if Neil Warnock said Reg was his favourite at Huddersfield in the 10 or so games he played under him in the Championship then that is a better endorsement than mates at football clubs who could be Similar to Ronnie Moore or at the other end of the scale Blucher, Covered end or our Henry who's opinion's are worth listening too whether I agree or not.

Sam no mates Soapbox.
    Fair enough Sam - I chuckled ! 
    I think the bigger point that I am trying to make here , probably not as succinctly as I should is that we have recruited out of form or out of the team Championship players assuming that they are bound to be good enough for League 1 and I think the philosophy is flawed- I think we should be going for in form League 1 players like Alfie, Will Goodwin ( which we tried) , Owen Moxon and maybe some very hot League 2 players like Ramsey. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

From those 6 signed before the end of the summer window, 2 had no pre season with us. (Signed on deadline day)

Only 3 players from that eleven have scored a league goal this season for Charlton 

Alfie May with 16

May has only actually scored 1 of our last 12 goals, going back to Cambridge at home.

The problem is that of the other 11 goals, 5 were scored by players no longer with us and 2 were own goals.

Depressing looking back over that period though, as we lost 7 points to injury time goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 12
    DOUCHER said:

There was a spell, before injury where Innis was terrific for us. Offensively, he added to our threat from set pieces. Surprisingly for such a big man, he wasn't a great headerer of the ball, but he did provide a bit of chaos to increase our potency. I always think regarding centre halves, if you are playing two of them, at least one needs to be a leader and one needs to be a goal threat. It can be the same one of course. If you are playing three, at least one needs to be a leader and two need to be a goal threat.
    I remember getting pelters for saying I rated him. It was on the basis that he was so (defensively) aerially dominant. Yes he made the odd mistake, but there were comparatively few occasions where they resulted in a goal. And that lunatic tackle at Wimbledon was never to be repeated. 
    Around that time we played a long-ball Cambridge team away from home, and he snuffed out every attack over the 90 minutes. 
    He’s yet another Charlton player who ‘wasn’t good enough for us’, that was replaced by worse. 
    I said we’d miss him, and I think we do, unfortunately. Yes, we could have bought better, but we didn’t.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Yeah, but we were in the division above our current level.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Alfie May with 16

I suspect the statistics for assists are equally dismal.
  • Options

Sam no mates Soapbox.
    I think the bigger point that I am trying to make here , probably not as succinctly as I should is that we have recruited out of form or out of the team Championship players assuming that they are bound to be good enough for League 1 and I think the philosophy is flawed- I think we should be going for in form League 1 players like Alfie, Will Goodwin ( which we tried) , Owen Moxon and maybe some very hot League 2 players like Ramsey. 

You make some good points and what I find disappointing is that so many players don't turn up ready to go.
    I know a few lads from Kinetic academy  that joined Brentford last season as they were recruiting for new academy and potentially their B side that play 'friendlies' 

Ok I know Toney is a top striker but he kept himself super fit when banned for so long and was so sharp straight away in the behind the door matches. He was a great example to the young 17 year olds that you have to push yourself everyday in training and the other things they learnt?

Don't bet on Football !
  • Options

Sam no mates Soapbox.

You make some good points and what I find disappointing is that so many players don't turn up ready to go.
    I know a few lads from Kinetic academy  that joined Brentford last season as they were recruiting for new academy and potentially their B side that play 'friendlies' 

Ok I know Toney is a top striker but he kept himself super fit when banned for so long and was so sharp straight away in the behind the door matches. He was a great example to the young 17 year olds that you have to push yourself everyday in training and the other things they learnt?

Don't bet on Football !
    Except on Charlton - free money for the last few months.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Alfie May with 16

May has only actually scored 1 of our last 12 goals, going back to Cambridge at home.

The problem is that of the other 11 goals, 5 were scored by players no longer with us and 2 were own goals.

Depressing looking back over that period though, as we lost 7 points to injury time goals.
    If another striker if not two had been signed when Leaburn was injured at Welling then the club wouldn't have reached crisis point on the field. Yes the defence has been cack all season but our forwards have been shocking as well. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Agreed - the more you look at it, the more you realise that the transfer window has solved bugger all  - in fact, its created more issues than its solved. No dominant centre half, no physical centre forward, no wingers and no number 10 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    shirty5 said:

Alfie May with 16

If another striker if not two had been signed when Leaburn was injured at Welling then the club wouldn't have reached crisis point on the field. Yes the defence has been cack all season but our forwards have been shocking as well. 
    100% correct - holden might well still be here now - the fact that we've bollocked the forward recruitment up again is even more damming - we have 3 finishers in the squad atm who all need a big man or 2 to play off of 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sam no mates Soapbox.
    I agree, this idea that recruiting from the Championship will always work is a little flawed. If a player is prepared to drop a league it may be because he’s not good enough for that league anyway and in some cases has no experience of League One football, where it is a bit more physical and agricultural.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    shirty5 said:

Alfie May with 16

Plenty of blame to go around, but worth noting we're still a top-10 team on goals scored this season.  But we have the 3rd worst goals conceded record, the 2nd worst clean sheet % and the 2nd worst shots on target conceded in the league.  Whatever you think of our signings, the players we have should never be giving up that many goals/chances.

For me, the failure of both managers to organise our backline into any sort of sensible structure is the single biggest reason we are where we are.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Much like losing CBT & Dobson now, the fans back then knew that letting Flanny and Powell go would put us in a relegation battle, and it surely did !
    It's amazing that the fans very often know better than the so called "professionals".

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Much like losing CBT & Dobson now, the fans back then knew that letting Flanny and Powell go would put us in a relegation battle, and it surely did !
    It's amazing that the fans very often know better than the so called "professionals".

That decision put us into the relegation scrap with only the nail bitter against Orient saving us at 0-0. It also ended any relationship, if there was one, that manager Andy Nelson had with the fans, I believe it was the next season that he decided to call us village idiots. 
  • Options

Sam no mates Soapbox.

Agreed.  Scott talked of Championship ready players and players who didn't see Charlton as their ceiling then recruited players who bottom end Championship clubs didn't rate highly enough to keep in their relegation struggles.  These are not Championship players... REG; Gillesphey; Bakinson.  Sheff Weds; Huddersfield and to an extent Plymouth are poor Championship teams.
    If we stay up then I am glad we can remove Ward, Fiorini, Bakinson and Ladapo from our wage budget in the summer.  We are stuck with REG and Gillesphey.  Coventry and Ramsey make sense to me (as does Small whom I imagine is a relatively cheap pint with a high ceiling).
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Agreed - the more you look at it, the more you realise that the transfer window has solved bugger all  - in fact, its created more issues than its solved. No dominant centre half, no physical centre forward, no wingers and no number 10 
    And no goals and assists to replace CBTs.
  • Options
    This will be his legacy, after appointing Appleton..........

Think they spelt destroying wrong - it isn’t spelt developing.