Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Early days but the jury is massively out on Gillesphey and Reg too. The rest of the Jan signings I’m comfortable in saying are average/poor (bar the two wing backs yet to play). 
    Idk, Coventry is actually pretty good? People are just miffed he isn't Dobson
    Is he? Been very average bar his bright cameo on debut
    Still way too early to judge. I know we like to write a player off. He comes with tremendous pedigree and really should be one of the better players in the league. Let's get behind him, shall we?

There's that mythical 'football played on paper' again. I've watched the games, 'one of the better players in the league' he certainly is not. 

At the moment he's on par with Dobson, who is apparently just an average League One player that isn't capable of getting a team promoted. 
    I think Camara made it clear in just 15 mins what a player looks like when they're genuinely one of the better players in the league. 
    exactly - u can see after 1 game how good a player is - i think coventry is okay and will give you a 6 out of 10 minimum each game - he's not a stand out player - there are hundreds of these types of players who have come through the academies of big clubs and never made it - he's not proven himself anywhere yet but seems to have been handed the job of replacing our best player, captain and heartbeat of the team- scott, get your coat  
    No you can't 
  • Options
    Sorry Doucher - read your post just after posting !
  • Options
    I thought the only plus from Coventry yesterday were his corners and free kicks.
  • Options
    edited February 11
  • Options
    The fact that Dobbo is repeatedly referenced to, as our best player, ‘really really’ sums up why we’ve been in this mess for the last few years. 
    I wouldn’t dare sell him in the midst of a relegation battle though. 
    I also wouldn’t want to give him a 3 year contract.
    Signing in Hungary on Monday
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    It isn't uncritical hero-worship, it's simply not having the usual abusive relationship every Charlton fan has with any player who isn't the Anointed Hero (there's always either one or two, three at a push). We do this every season. Get behind them
    Bit like you and Pratley ay. 
    Big difference between bemoaning the technical deficiencies of an established player most people really like while supporting his effort and admiring his work out of position (as a centre-back) and piling in en masse on a new signing as 'shit' and 'relegation fodder' after about five seconds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he was a GM in an American sport (which is effectively what he is), he’d have been gone a long time ago and probably never work in that position again. Hopefully our American owners can see that. 
  • Options
    I had picked VAR and Andy Scott to back because I honestly thought both would be an improvement and sounded more professional than was on offer before.

I may stick to judging footballers, formations, and fitness levels as both VAR and Scott are looking untenable.

Judge both on results.

VAR ahead of Scott because they get many decisions correct despite the odd howler.

• Options
    Leaving Dobson and CBT to one side for the moment. Scott needs to be removed from his position purely on players that have been recruited are not good enough to play for us. I will give Coventry and REG some slack for now, but overall business since last summer has been poor, and Appleton was a disaster. Couple to the above with "we're not going to be a losing team anymore" and spending the owners money very very poorly all adds up to 'not fit for purpose' and the Yanks need to say thanks but off you go!
    This performance from our supposed 'technical director' has been a shambles since last July. If, as is rumoured, the owners overruled Scott to get NJ as the manager, then well done to them and its time to save your money, dump Scott and let NJ do the recruitment, after all he is the Manager now!
    Agree on Coventry and REG having some potential but far too early to say they are either successes or failures.  I quite like what I've seen but neither has set the world alight, yet. 

Of the loans none have really jumped out as improvements to the squad, which is what I expect in the way that JRS was.

Of the permanent signings May is clearly a success but was signed before Scott etc officially took over.  At the time it was said by those leaking from SE7 that they didn't want May but Holden did but Rodwell did say in December that if they had taken over earlier they would have signed him earlier.  Hindsight maybe.

If you are being generous you can say that we've effectively signed a whole new squad and they have yet to bed in and that hasn't been helped by having three (four if you count Fleming) managers and a raft of injuries.  But injuries happen and the managerial appointments are down, at least in part, to Scott.

It's not even as if we've been inconsistent.

We are consistently weak at the back and in midfield and our one strength, scoring goals, has disappeared. 
  • Options
    What ever the situation about players not signing new contracts which may have been good or shite deals regarding the effort they put in,knowing they will probably and most likely now be gone what's the excuse for not spending on getting someone attacking in a CBT mould or behind the striker and now we are losing Dobson whilst having our hopes on loans and a player in Coventry who is hardly an upgrade the recruitment team have fucked up and seem to be penny pinching 
  • Options
    TSteven81 said:
    What ever the situation about players not signing new contracts which may have been good or shite deals regarding the effort they put in,knowing they will probably and most likely now be gone what's the excuse for not spending on getting someone attacking in a CBT mould or behind the striker and now we are losing Dobson whilst having our hopes on loans and a player in Coventry who is hardly an upgrade the recruitment team have fucked up and seem to be penny pinching 
    You can only buy available players in the January window and stay within EFL’s financial straitjacket. We don’t know they tried to buy and failed. 
  • Options
    The Board have stumped up £s - no question. Scott has been spending it and hiring and firing managers like he’s playing FM. The fans’ negativity will eventually drive him out, unless his recruits start to step up and offer some justification around what he has been up to. I am not sure most have it in them. A few will mind, law of averages and all that… 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Early days but the jury is massively out on Gillesphey and Reg too. The rest of the Jan signings I’m comfortable in saying are average/poor (bar the two wing backs yet to play). 
    Watching the game there was a throw in to us in the last 10 mins and REG was wide open but clearly didn’t want the ball and was just strolling……
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Watching the game there was a throw in to us in the last 10 mins and REG was wide open but clearly didn’t want the ball and was just strolling……
    He's settled in well then.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Andy Scott sacked Dean Holden after losing six in eight to start the season, saying such a run of form wasn’t good enough and a change had to be made. Brimming with confidence, his solution was to replace Holden with Michael Appleton, against overwhelming sentiment that Appleton wasn’t a good fit for the club. Some analysts backed the appointment, saying that most had it wrong; that Appleton was an inspired choice. That, in time, we’d all see the genius too.

But Appleton was sacked after another long run of poor results, with the club now hovering just above the relegation spots, a couple of weeks into the January transfer window. It wasn’t genius after all; it was exactly what it looked like all along. Appleton should never have been appointed, but he certainly should have been sacked earlier when he couldn’t turn around the poor run of results.

Scott persisted with Appleton because he wanted to prove his value, having sacked Holden to prove the same. Of course, with each reset, the illusion of competence takes a hit. And now with George Dobson, it’s the same again. He’s stamped his authority on this club and has been found desperately wanting. Now there’s nowhere to hide. He took the reins and has brought us to the brink of disaster.

Against any metric, he’s failed this club. After yesterday, his confidence in himself should be well and truly shattered. He’s not the architect of success he imagined himself. He’s out of his depth and we can all see it. If he’s allowed to stick around and make any more decisions things will get much worse very quickly for the owners, the senior management, the coaches and players and, of course, the supporters. Perhaps, with the news that it seems Dobbo is staying until the summer, someone has pulled back on the reins. 
     Agree. Although Holden and Appleton were never really up to the job they were fired primarily to make Scott look good and deflect attention away from his inadequacies.
     I should think his heart sunk a bit when :
    1 he heard Jones might be in the running
    2 The ownership were not going to involve him in the recruitment of him.

Quite frankly I think Scott is fast approaching the untenable phase.
    Unless he can get a message to all of the dross he signed to not be dross any more and quick I think he may well be done.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Stevenage head of recruitment is a friend of a friend - he has absolutely smashed it on very tight budget - he lives in bexleyheath - just saying 
    They have a Charlton fan who works for Stevenage and does scouting of their upcoming opponents 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Stevenage head of recruitment is a friend of a friend - he has absolutely smashed it on very tight budget - he lives in bexleyheath - just saying 
    Unless your friend is Charlie Methven then it probably won’t happen 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Just saying what? People shouldn’t moan about their long commutes?
    Yeah this is a thread about commutes so thought it would be of interest