Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    Exclusive picture of Andy's Recruitment laptop...........

• Options
    edited February 12
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth said:
    Lack of a hold-up forward has been the worst thing about our team this season, closely followed by the wing-backs
    Ikpeazu would have fit this perfectly, but 90% moaned about signing him as he didn't score enough goals in favour of Freddie Ladapo (While it is early) who has been dreadful in every appearance he's made so far...
    Agreed mate and he might not have got himself injured (shoulder) like he did with Port Vale against Pompey, now finding himself out of action for the next ten weeks.
  • Options
    I'm totally baffled by Andy Scott:
    How could he have got so many decisions wrong ?
    He had a decent CV before he turned up at Charlton, despite being sacked by Forest after the bringing in of a whole new squad for the Premier.

How can he lose all his football acumen built up over 3 decades as Player, coach, Manager, Technical director, head of recruitment.

I really thought he would take this club forward; not to the brink of relegation.

As we all know Cafc have been on the slide for a number of years which is well documented but I thought we would plateau under Scott and then kick on again.

Nathan Jones getting a long Contract may be our last hope but we don't want him to rebuilt from the 4th tier.
  • Options
    Andy Scott has proved to be utterly useless. One of the problems is that he has a perception that players who cant get in Championship sides must be good enough for league 1. When we signed Edun - my Blackburn supporting mate said he was useless. When we signed Bakinson from bottom of the Championship Sheffield Weds, my mate who is supporter had never heard of him. Gillesphey & Ladapo don’t look good enough and nor does REG. Coventry is OK but we didn’t need him because we had George in that position. 
    The only bright spark in my book is that my Harrogate supporting mate texted me immediately to say that Ramsey was their best player. He’s the guy who has not started yet because T Watson is playing there ? 
    Nathan Jones is responsible for the Ramsay & Small signings.
  • Options
    Andy Scott has proved to be utterly useless. One of the problems is that he has a perception that players who cant get in Championship sides must be good enough for league 1. When we signed Edun - my Blackburn supporting mate said he was useless. When we signed Bakinson from bottom of the Championship Sheffield Weds, my mate who is supporter had never heard of him. Gillesphey & Ladapo don’t look good enough and nor does REG. Coventry is OK but we didn’t need him because we had George in that position. 
    The only bright spark in my book is that my Harrogate supporting mate texted me immediately to say that Ramsey was their best player. He’s the guy who has not started yet because T Watson is playing there ? 
    Is there any evidence for this beyond conjecture?  Only, supposedly Alfie May was actually a Dean Holden signing. And then Lloyd Jones was a Steve Gallen effort.  And Coventry was personally negotiated by Appleton in his parents’ living room.  Now these two are signed by Nathan Jones on 2 days notice. 

But at the same time, Andy Scott is apparently on a power trip and can’t handle being challenged by anyone… Which is it? Because it’s starting to look like he’s letting anyone have a go at recruitment. 
  • Options
    Quite rightly, Scott is drawing a lot of criticism and, apart from some silly personal abuse, it is valid and evidence based.

He has two key roles in my eyes.

One is to build and oversee the infrastructure of a successful football club.  That includes setting up systems and building teams of staff who make us better at what we do than our competition.

Most of that will happen out of sight of most of us, other than appointments such as the new Head of Performance and the Men's first team manager.

Too early to really comment on the Head of Performance or the other work he has spoked about such as the recruitment team but clearly the previous managerial appointments were a disaster.  

The appointment of Jones is, in my eyes at least, a real positive but does seem to indicate a change in direction, a change in structure (manager not coach) and perhaps in funding as I assume Jones earns more than Appleton or Holden.  Jones was also immediately allowed to bring in his own very experienced coach in Paul Hart where are Holden never did and Appleton had to wait a long time for O'Donnell.

Will Jones be a success in the short term in keeping us up and long term by getting us into the championship?  Far too early to say.  He has had to come in as a fire fighter rather than having an early start on rebuilding for next season.

The other key role is player recruitment.  Very hard to make any case that that has been a success.

People could argue we have potential in some of the players, and I'd agree, who have come in but potential doesn't win many points.

The loan signings in particular have failed to impact on the results.

The squad is also still missing a dominant centre half, a creative midfielder, a decent winger and a hold up centre forward.

Other than perhaps the winger, who is maybe not needed in a 3-5-2, these gaps were obvious but the wrong choices were made in loaning Fiorini and Ladapo who aren't fit and in Freddie's case, not a hold up centre forward.

So I think we nearly all agree Scott is at fault.

But is it only Scott?

We do appear to have a lot of cooks trying to make our broth.  Lenegan and Methven were both involved in appointing Appleton.  Lenegan was named checked in the announcement when MA took the reins.

And Methven seems very unlikely to have suddenly adopted a hands off approach when he was so very heavily involved, and is still eagerly trying to manage the narrative via his "leaks".

So the my question isn't "Is Scott to blame?" because I think the answer to that is clear but "How much of blame lies with Scott and how much with others?"

Agree with every word of this.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth said:
    Lack of a hold-up forward has been the worst thing about our team this season, closely followed by the wing-backs
    Ikpeazu would have fit this perfectly, but 90% moaned about signing him as he didn't score enough goals in favour of Freddie Ladapo (While it is early) who has been dreadful in every appearance he's made so far...
    Ikpeazu dislocated his shoulder and is out until April/perhaps the season (just saying).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth said:
    Ikpeazu dislocated his shoulder and is out until April/perhaps the season (just saying).
    So he would fit perfectly then....
  • Options
    He had a decent CV before he turned up at Charlton, despite being sacked by Forest after the bringing in of a whole new squad for the Premier.

How can he lose all his football acumen built up over 3 decades as Player, coach, Manager, Technical director, head of recruitment.

I really thought he would take this club forward; not to the brink of relegation.

As we all know Cafc have been on the slide for a number of years which is well documented but I thought we would plateau under Scott and then kick on again.

Nathan Jones getting a long Contract may be our last hope but we don't want him to rebuilt from the 4th tier.
    I'm struggling to believe that Scott actually saw any/all of these players actually play before signing them.

I mean taking the worst case scenario, anyone can see that Fiorini isn't capable of even playing for 5 minutes.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    hezzla said:
    Is there any evidence for this beyond conjecture?  Only, supposedly Alfie May was actually a Dean Holden signing. And then Lloyd Jones was a Steve Gallen effort.  And Coventry was personally negotiated by Appleton in his parents’ living room.  Now these two are signed by Nathan Jones on 2 days notice. 

But at the same time, Andy Scott is apparently on a power trip and can’t handle being challenged by anyone… Which is it? Because it’s starting to look like he’s letting anyone have a go at recruitment. 
    May was signed before Scott was appointed.
    Jones I can't remember.
    I'm sure I saw a photo of Appleton & Scott in Coventry's living room having tea.

Yes, Jones kind of awkwardly confirmed when asked in today's press conference.
  • Options
    The single biggest problem I have re Scott (assuming it is true, which @Henry Irving.above seems to believe) is that he apparently has been allowed to dictate that the team, and indeed the whole club, is based around 3-5-2

I think that to make such a rigid decision is ridiculous, whatever the formation. If a manager wants to make it his core formation for a given season, fine. Then he will be judged on the outcome. But for somebody else to decide that, meaning that any incoming manager has to accept it, that’s just a recipe for trouble. I don’t care if thats how they do it at Citeh or Real Madrid. It doesnt make any sense at all in Division Three. 
     I think he's fallen in the trap so many do of trying to play expansive entertaining  football in league one.
    i) It's very difficult
    ii) Nobody really gives a shit about style in this league.

Don't ever concede. Score the odd goal now and again and we'll find ourselves there or there abouts. The pretty stuff can wait.
  • Options
    Is that the Inniss currently playing his trade at the bottom of League Two? 

It can be true that the player wasn't good enough AND the replacements were just as bad. 

It's something that is ongoing with Charlton. We 'miss' bad players because we fail to recruit good ones. 
    I miss Bonne 😬
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth said:
    Where did you get 90% from? My recollection was that he was the type of player we needed and he was worth a short term contract.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth said:
    Where did you get 90% from? My recollection was that he was the type of player we needed and he was worth a short term contract.
    A lot of fans in general were against this signing, didn't know he was now injured though
  • Options
    Is that the Inniss currently playing his trade at the bottom of League Two? 

It can be true that the player wasn't good enough AND the replacements were just as bad. 

It's something that is ongoing with Charlton. We 'miss' bad players because we fail to recruit good ones. 
    I miss Bonne 😬
    Go to Cambridge away, a good chance for a ‘catch up’
  • Options
    The single biggest problem I have re Scott (assuming it is true, which @Henry Irving.above seems to believe) is that he apparently has been allowed to dictate that the team, and indeed the whole club, is based around 3-5-2. 

I think that to make such a rigid decision is ridiculous, whatever the formation. If a manager wants to make it his core formation for a given season, fine. Then he will be judged on the outcome. But for somebody else to decide that, meaning that any incoming manager has to accept it, that’s just a recipe for trouble. I don’t care if thats how they do it at Citeh or Real Madrid. It doesnt make any sense at all in Division Three. 
    I liked what NJ said today........ something along the lines of setting up to get the best out of the players he's got....... maybe Appleton was toeing the party line too much for his own good by trying to get the players to play the best 3-5-2 they could rather than looking at what they're capable of and setting up for that........ particularly when he lost those key players through the pre-Christmas period and he was left with a few second stringers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 12

I'm struggling to believe that Scott actually saw any/all of these players actually play before signing them.

I mean taking the worst case scenario, anyone can see that Fiorini isn't capable of even playing for 5 minutes.
    I think he may have stumbled upon Martins black box
  • Options
    Still here then? Wonder how long his charmed oay day will last. As far as i can tell he is a reliable bellweather. 

Ask Andy Scott what to do, and then do the opposite. Cant be worse than following his advice. 
  • Options
    Quite rightly, Scott is drawing a lot of criticism and, apart from some silly personal abuse, it is valid and evidence based.

One is to build and oversee the infrastructure of a successful football club.  That includes setting up systems and building teams of staff who make us better at what we do than our competition.

Most of that will happen out of sight of most of us, other than appointments such as the new Head of Performance and the Men's first team manager.

Too early to really comment on the Head of Performance or the other work he has spoken about such as the recruitment team but clearly the previous managerial appointments were a disaster.  

The appointment of Jones is, in my eyes at least, a real positive but does seem to indicate a change in direction, a change in structure (manager not coach) and perhaps in funding as I assume Jones earns more than Appleton or Holden.  Jones was also immediately allowed to bring in his own very experienced coach in Paul Hart where as Holden never did and Appleton had to wait a long time for O'Donnell.

Will Jones be a success in the short term in keeping us up and long term by getting us into the championship?  Far too early to say.  He has had to come in as a fire fighter rather than having an early start on rebuilding for next season.

The other key role is player recruitment.  Very hard to make any case that that has been a success.

People could argue we have potential in some of the players, and I'd agree, who have come in but potential doesn't win many points.

The squad is also still missing a dominant centre half, a creative midfielder, a decent winger and a hold up centre forward.

Other than perhaps the winger, who is maybe not needed in a 3-5-2, these gaps were obvious but the wrong choices were made in loaning Fiorini and Ladapo who aren't fit and in Freddie's case, not a hold up centre forward.

But is it only Scott?

We do appear to have a lot of cooks trying to make our broth.  Lenegan and Methven were both involved in appointing Appleton.  Lenegan was named checked in the announcement when MA took the reins.

And Methven seems very unlikely to have suddenly adopted a hands off approach when he was so very heavily involved, and is still eagerly trying to manage the narrative via his "leaks".

So the my question isn't "Is Scott to blame?" because I think the answer to that is clear but "How much of blame lies with Scott and how much with others?"

I agree with all that has been said, but only thing I would say, Lenegan has a lot more say than was lead to believe.. I would say more so than Charlie! And that hasn't been leaked or anything like that.. But he is the key decision maker for GFP, which ultimately is who Scott takes orders from. 

You are right, it isn't just Scott who is to blame, as a collective they are.. But Lenegan certainly has a huge influence, if not the final say on a lot of stuff!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Too early to really comment on the Head of Performance or the other work he has spoken about such as the recruitment team but clearly the previous managerial appointments were a disaster.  

The appointment of Jones is, in my eyes at least, a real positive but does seem to indicate a change in direction, a change in structure (manager not coach) and perhaps in funding as I assume Jones earns more than Appleton or Holden.  Jones was also immediately allowed to bring in his own very experienced coach in Paul Hart where as Holden never did and Appleton had to wait a long time for O'Donnell.

But is it only Scott?

I agree with all that has been said, but only thing I would say, Lenegan has a lot more say than was lead to believe.. I would say more so than Charlie! And that hasn't been leaked or anything like that.. But he is the key decision maker for GFP, which ultimately is who Scott takes orders from. 

You are right, it isn't just Scott who is to blame, as a collective they are.. But Lenegan certainly has a huge influence, if not the final say on a lot of stuff!
    Would make sense as it seemed he was pushing Appleton. 
  • Options
    My guess is that his role has changed now that Jones has come in. Scott will have less to do with player identification but we still need someone to handle negotiations. What's important is he does that negotiations based on what Jones wants. He can also continue to improve the non playing staff, mainly in the recruitment team for now but depending on what Will Abott says maybe physios/sports scientists too. Really Scott should be a link between the board and the specialists (Jones, Abott, Avery) and help them carry out what they want
  • Options
    Have we ever heard publicly from Lenagan if he has so much say on things? Seems a bit odd to have a Sporting Director and a Technical Director as I'd have thought there would have been quite a bit of crossover in terms of who's responsible for what. 

Hopefully NJ being appointed as manager and not head coach takes out a lot of the ambiguity surrounding who's responsible for what. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Have we ever heard publicly from Lenagan if he has so much say on things? Seems a bit odd to have a Sporting Director and a Technical Director as I'd have thought there would have been quite a bit of crossover in terms of who's responsible for what. 

Hopefully NJ being appointed as manager and not head coach takes out a lot of the ambiguity surrounding who's responsible for what. 
    We haven’t but I guess that’s because Lenegan works for GFP not CAFC. Still think that in the next 5 years GFP will buy a team somewhere like Holland or a lower division team in France or Spain, maybe even Asia given the ownership connection. Lenegan will then oversee the sporting operation of the whole group to make sure strategy is similar. 

Roland spectacularly failed with the multi club model so CAFC fans are rightfully sceptical but it can work when done correct. CAFC need to be a lot more successful for it to work though, you need to be top end Championship minimum
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We haven’t but I guess that’s because Lenegan works for GFP not CAFC. Still think that in the next 5 years GFP will buy a team somewhere like Holland or a lower division team in France or Spain, maybe even Asia given the ownership connection. Lenegan will then oversee the sporting operation of the whole group to make sure strategy is similar. 

Roland spectacularly failed with the multi club model so CAFC fans are rightfully sceptical but it can work when done correct. CAFC need to be a lot more successful for it to work though, you need to be top end Championship minimum
    I wouldn't say that is too far from the mark, and I believe the direction they would go, but Charlton being the flagship of it. Charlie has been the public figure, but is he the brains behind it and the power, I am not so sure! 
  • Options
    edited February 13
    Having a set way of playing is for football idiots to drool over. Man City can do it as they have their pick of any player to play in a chosen system. We don't. We have two wing backs who are beyond rubbish and we play a system that relies on them. I mean, you couldn't make it up. The manager needs to look at where our strengths are and indeed our weaknesses and devise the formation around that. I am encouraged that Jones has told them to F Off in regards of losing Dobson and hope stage two is to tell them to F Off about 3-5-2 as it will take us down with the personnel we have. This is actually a fantastic opportunity for him to become a proper manager of this club rather than head coach, irrespective of job titles, due to the desperate situation we are in.