Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who are our new owners then?

Comments

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Orient will bring a huge support buoyed by their recent success, and like nearly every other team in our division won’t roll over for us, and they have players and a manager who are no mugs.
    We must overcome that, because the game is a must win. Dropping two or three points at home is a disaster and requires a couple of away wins to compensate.
    The new owners must aim for 92 points next season.
    Sod feeling our way into the season, sod time to gel, win.
    The season hasn't even started yet but our opening game is a must win?! That is bonkers 
    I work on the target of winning every home game to please our fans, and drawing every away game to add to those wins and achieve promotion.
    If you lose a home game that is three points lost right there, and can’t be made up with an away win because you need at least one point away according to my target.
    I don’t buy in to the concept of if you have some bad results you make up for them later as an approach. Points won at the start of the season have the same value as points won at the end.
    There, I’ve stated my case, maybe you can explain why my position is bonkers.
    After the Orient game there are still 45 games to play, and 135 points to play for. It doesn't matter how you reach X points as long as you get them. By your metric every home game is a must win? 
  • Not sure we're going to be a 'drawing' team. Looking at patterns in friendlies so far I think the emphasis will be more on attack than defence. Hopefully, in the main, that will work for us but we will be vulnerable to a surprise loss or more.
  • edited July 2023
    isn't it refreshing discussing points and not any potential takeover! 
  • Want to make money ? Build the squad (which we seem to now be doing), price tickets to fill the ground and open up the outlets/kiosks and keep them open longer.

As the saying goes, the best way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one. 

The trouble is we aren't making money and we won't ever in League One. Few clubs make money in this league and those that do are run on shoestring budgets and don't have an Academy and a women's squad to underwrite. For us it's promotion or bust. 

Last October we published 10 month financial results showing that we lost £6.8m on a turnover of £6.3m, a loss of £680,000/month.

Most of that loss was down to a wage bill of 112% of turnover. No business operates on those kind of economics, not unless its owners have a long-term plan and the patience to both see it through and trust those on the operational side to get the job done. Bringing the ticket prices down will bring in more fans but won't significantly reduce the loss and there we have a secondary problem because quite a few northern based teams often turn up with a few hundred fans which barely covers the hassle of opening the away end. A few more derby matches wouldn't hurt and at least we have Orient and Reading. 

The new owners are now going to be trousering that loss and probably a lot more since the wage bill is rising and not falling, there'll be new bodies arriving with maybe only one or two leaving. We assume they have gone in eyes wide open and that they get on with each other and I wonder how tight they are when we have a motley collection of American financiers, Singaporeans, a scrap metal dealer and a couple of Brits on-board. 

The good news is that they have deep pockets, we just have to hope that they have equally deep reserves of patience because they are the ones who'll be collectively signing off on a hefty six figure loss each and every week. 

• Imagine 'The price of football' will cover this when they return from their summer break - be interesting to hear what they have to say on it
  • edited July 2023
    FSLN1 said:
    Want to make money ? Build the squad (which we seem to now be doing), price tickets to fill the ground and open up the outlets/kiosks and keep them open longer.

As the saying goes, the best way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one. 

The trouble is we aren't making money and we won't ever in League One. Few clubs make money in this league and those that do are run on shoestring budgets and don't have an Academy and a women's squad to underwrite. For us it's promotion or bust. 

Last October we published 10 month financial results showing that we lost £6.8m on a turnover of £6.3m, a loss of £680,000/month.

Most of that loss was down to a wage bill of 112% of turnover. No business operates on those kind of economics, not unless its owners have a long-term plan and the patience to both see it through and trust those on the operational side to get the job done. Bringing the ticket prices down will bring in more fans but won't significantly reduce the loss and there we have a secondary problem because quite a few northern based teams often turn up with a few hundred fans which barely covers the hassle of opening the away end. A few more derby matches wouldn't hurt and at least we have Orient and Reading. 

The new owners are now going to be trousering that loss and probably a lot more since the wage bill is rising and not falling, there'll be new bodies arriving with maybe only one or two leaving. We assume they have gone in eyes wide open and that they get on with each other and I wonder how tight they are when we have a motley collection of American financiers, Singaporeans, a scrap metal dealer and a couple of Brits on-board. 

The good news is that they have deep pockets, we just have to hope that they have equally deep reserves of patience because they are the ones who'll be collectively signing off on a hefty six figure loss each and every week. 

Obviously you can’t ignore the costs but if those are what a business is governed by instead of trying to generate more revenues then all that will happen is  the business will keep going down in decreasing circles. 

And if they expect to lose a shedload of cash every year with a plan that isn’t trying to get success then they might as well bite the bullet and spend some of that money upfront and try and get some success and additional revenues 
  • Rothko said:
    Win at home, draw away, go up in May 
    Oh, Alfie!

• CafcWest said:
    Rothko said:
    Win at home, draw away, go up in May 
    In essence yes. 
    Or, to quote my old Dad's favourite "A win at home, a draw away, brings promotion any day"... he was a lifelong Charlton fan.
    Yeah but that was only really reliable back in the day when a draw was equal to half a win. Now, it's one third. So you're better off losing a few matches but going for the three points in some away games. The whole point of introducing 3 points for a win was to promote more attractive football.
  • edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Orient will bring a huge support buoyed by their recent success, and like nearly every other team in our division won’t roll over for us, and they have players and a manager who are no mugs.
    We must overcome that, because the game is a must win. Dropping two or three points at home is a disaster and requires a couple of away wins to compensate.
    The new owners must aim for 92 points next season.
    Sod feeling our way into the season, sod time to gel, win.
    The season hasn't even started yet but our opening game is a must win?! That is bonkers 
    I work on the target of winning every home game to please our fans, and drawing every away game to add to those wins and achieve promotion.
    If you lose a home game that is three points lost right there, and can’t be made up with an away win because you need at least one point away according to my target.
    I don’t buy in to the concept of if you have some bad results you make up for them later as an approach. Points won at the start of the season have the same value as points won at the end.
    There, I’ve stated my case, maybe you can explain why my position is bonkers.
    After the Orient game there are still 45 games to play, and 135 points to play for. It doesn't matter how you reach X points as long as you get them. By your metric every home game is a must win? 
    Why not have that approach? I am not convinced by the ‘make it up later’ argument. Too relaxed and complacent for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:
    Well it’s certainly different than we’ve had before and has the potential to be a roaring success or a stinking failure. I hope expectations have been realistically set with the various part owners as they are going to be asked to put their hands in their pockets a lot over the next few months. Strong communication will be vital along with this ongoing expectation management. 

I suspect we won’t be told a clear and full strategy at this stage - we’ll have to piece that together as things happen. Particularly interested to know what ACA Football Partners are looking for out of the deal.
    I would hazard a guess and say money!

And an association with a relatively prestigious club that people may have heard of. It's already on their website but I stopped reading very quickly because of the way they combine words to make shitty new ones (glocal = global/local) but stayed just long enough to lift this from their news page:

Comment from Hiroyuki Ono, ACAFP CEO
    We are very pleased to be a part of the club which is composed of a rich history and passionate fans,
    and I would like to show my deep gratitude to Charlie Methven and Jim Rodwell, who welcomed us to the group. You may be skeptical about who we are and what strategies we have. Over the past year, we have focused on connecting Asia and Europe with football through the multi-club ownership model, but we are also aiming for releasing the value of sports and create a borderless community. Our door is always open, we want to learn a lot from England, the home of football, and also to expand Charlton’s appeal more globally.

no mention of the manager or players, wonder if that tells us anything about their plans.
  • IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:
    Well it’s certainly different than we’ve had before and has the potential to be a roaring success or a stinking failure. I hope expectations have been realistically set with the various part owners as they are going to be asked to put their hands in their pockets a lot over the next few months. Strong communication will be vital along with this ongoing expectation management. 

I suspect we won’t be told a clear and full strategy at this stage - we’ll have to piece that together as things happen. Particularly interested to know what ACA Football Partners are looking for out of the deal.

And an association with a relatively prestigious club that people may have heard of. It's already on their website but I stopped reading very quickly because of the way they combine words to make shitty new ones (glocal = global/local) but stayed just long enough to lift this from their news page:

We are very pleased to be a part of the club which is composed of a rich history and passionate fans,
    and I would like to show my deep gratitude to Charlie Methven and Jim Rodwell, who welcomed us to the group. You may be skeptical about who we are and what strategies we have. Over the past year, we have focused on connecting Asia and Europe with football through the multi-club ownership model, but we are also aiming for releasing the value of sports and create a borderless community. Our door is always open, we want to learn a lot from England, the home of football, and also to expand Charlton’s appeal more globally.

no mention of the manager or players, wonder if that tells us anything about their plans.
    Their "plan" is to make money out of us, and that about sums it up...
  • Would anyone know, there are the ‘groups’ and within some of those groups there are a composition of smaller contributing investors.

Are any of those groups and investors structurally able to sell their share on at their own discretion and at their own terms?
    Sorry, not sure mate
  • Aaron Paul is in my opinion very poor.
  • Is the programme a phone in where you can speak to Methven directly?
    Does Methven speak for the whole club?
  • seth plum said:
    Aaron Paul is in my opinion very poor.
    And his last so-called interview with Methven, in February, was a disgrace. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited July 2023
    IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:

Good, as we all know, that only comes with success on the pitch, that equals more revenue from TV, sponsors and corporate hospitality the higher we hopefully climb, more bums on seats means extra ticket revenue, more money spent in the club shop and catering outlets 

Long may that very basic ethos for having a successful football club continue.
    The nuances of how you get there is down to the new owners. 

Ps….. I know you know that 
  • CafcWest said:
    IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:

And the only way to do that is to get to the Premier League.  I'd be happy for them to make money if that's the way to do it!
    Agree, and more than happy for them to benefit from their output, but having a constructive input/plan is a different story, and anyway they will probably not be around then, can see their shares being bought by the main players long before club success is achieved...
  • edited July 2023
  • Gribbo said:
    Would anyone know, there are the ‘groups’ and within some of those groups there are a composition of smaller contributing investors.

Are any of those groups and investors structurally able to sell their share on at their own discretion and at their own terms?
    Sorry, not sure mate
    A private company will have share agreements that dictate what happens if an investor wants to sell out or dies.  It will normally give an option for his shares to be bought by the other shareholders on a prescribed formula that may or may not be a market rate price.  There can also be concepts of "good leavers" and 'bad leavers' that determines whether the price he is offered for shares is good or poor value. 

If the value of the company goes up it prevents parcels of shares being split-up or ending up with the highest bidder so keeping original shareholders in control.

The shareholdings already disclosed will all be "ordinary" shares which have equal voting rights but there might be additional special classes of shares issued that give certain additional voting rights or preferential rights, for example if there is a distribution of profits or capital.

So it would be inconceivable that the shares can be sold without conditions that protect the interests of existing shareholders and certainly not on terms determine by the seller.
  • Methven now on BBC London at later time off 1930.
  • Methven now on BBC London at later time off 1930.
    So we can announce 2 new signings with him!
  • Well that’s 2 reviews 1 pro 1 scathing