Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who are our new owners then?

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    FSLN1 said:
    If our investors choose to be 'hands off' and leave the running of the club to experienced professionals, then that to me is a massive plus.

Both Roland and Tommy couldn't resist interfering because of their self-perceived business genius and it didn't bloody help, did it?

As others have said; the most important incomings to the club will be the aforementioned 'experienced professionals' as we haven't had enough of them in our recent history to give us even a remote chance of being successful.

Hopefully that will now change.  As we now appear to have owners who know that you have to 'speculate to accumulate', that means that I am much more optimistic for our future than I have been for years.

There is no guarantee of success, but at least we now have a fighting chance.

Strap yourselves in, lads and lasses.

The problem is we are a loss making club.

Will they have the patience to back off and stay in the background when we are 12th in the table and have lost three games on the trot and then the board/SMT ask for another £500K to cover that month's deficit? 

That was where things went wrong under Tommy...

I could understand his frustration when the management team asked him to sanction transfer fees for say Charlie Kirk only to see him go on loan as JJ didn't want to play him. Or for the six figure sum for DJ who managed to run down cu de sacs rather than into opponents penalty boxes and so on. 

That is when we'll get to see the mettle of the new owners. 
    This.

Owning a hedge fund company which earns millions by simply existing is rather different to a loss making football club which needs half a million pounds of funding month after month with nothing to show for it. And then being asked for another half a million in January to buy a player that no one outside of League 1 has heard of. 

I doubt Brener or Friedman can even find Charlton if you gave them a London A--Z.
    I financial advisor that doesn't know how hedge funds work? 
    The point being is that I doubt they have to stump up ££££ every month just to keep the business going.

But I see I'm swimming against the tide. Don't get me wrong, I really do hope they are a  success and in a years or twos time we are singing their praises when we are in the Championship. I'm just a bit sceptical when none of the "big 3" seem to have made any sort of statement acknowledging their ownership.

Ryan Reynolds they ain't.  
    Oh dear you've gone full Golfie. 

So instead of shrewd business gentlemen working together, sensibly spreading the cost and keeping a low profile, you want another "face", some ego that's always front and centre making noise? 
    You love whoever owns the club and were a Roland apologist who opposed the protests, so I’m afraid your opinion doesn’t carry a massive amount of weight here. 
  • Uboat said:
    sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    FSLN1 said:
    If our investors choose to be 'hands off' and leave the running of the club to experienced professionals, then that to me is a massive plus.

Both Roland and Tommy couldn't resist interfering because of their self-perceived business genius and it didn't bloody help, did it?

As others have said; the most important incomings to the club will be the aforementioned 'experienced professionals' as we haven't had enough of them in our recent history to give us even a remote chance of being successful.

Hopefully that will now change.  As we now appear to have owners who know that you have to 'speculate to accumulate', that means that I am much more optimistic for our future than I have been for years.

Will they have the patience to back off and stay in the background when we are 12th in the table and have lost three games on the trot and then the board/SMT ask for another £500K to cover that month's deficit? 

I could understand his frustration when the management team asked him to sanction transfer fees for say Charlie Kirk only to see him go on loan as JJ didn't want to play him. Or for the six figure sum for DJ who managed to run down cu de sacs rather than into opponents penalty boxes and so on. 

This.

Owning a hedge fund company which earns millions by simply existing is rather different to a loss making football club which needs half a million pounds of funding month after month with nothing to show for it. And then being asked for another half a million in January to buy a player that no one outside of League 1 has heard of. 

I doubt Brener or Friedman can even find Charlton if you gave them a London A--Z.
    The point being is that I doubt they have to stump up ££££ every month just to keep the business going.

But I see I'm swimming against the tide. Don't get me wrong, I really do hope they are a  success and in a years or twos time we are singing their praises when we are in the Championship. I'm just a bit sceptical when none of the "big 3" seem to have made any sort of statement acknowledging their ownership.

So instead of shrewd business gentlemen working together, sensibly spreading the cost and keeping a low profile, you want another "face", some ego that's always front and centre making noise? 
    You love whoever owns the club and were a Roland apologist who opposed the protests, so I’m afraid your opinion doesn’t carry a massive amount of weight here. 
    Is this directed to me  ??

If so you've got the wrong person. I've never been a Roland apologist & took full part in all the protests. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    FSLN1 said:

This.

We couldn't get enough electric guitars together for when all these owners go on the pitch before the first game to play Addicts to Victory's replacement, and the power supply would be an issue.
  • Uboat said:
    sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    FSLN1 said:

This.

Lol was I? Ok then...
  • I'm.hoping we'll get some sort of statement from 1 or 2 of the investors or maybe even a full interview on the OS before long. It may help all of us understand the short/medium term goals and we can finally get back to watching and  talking football. Then all the versions of the takeover threads can be consigned to history for at least a couple if years!
    I'm quite excited by the coming season and slightly optimistic of success.
    Hoping there will be plenty of goals.
  • Whilst I am not expecting a full interview, I would anticipate in the next week-or-so that there will be a “TopCo” meeting in person for the major players. My guess is that after such a meeting we will see a few quotes coming out of the larger investors which will set out their stall as to what we as fans will expect from them in terms of visibility. I would also expect some interviews from the members of the operating board. 

Any of the ITK’s know of the profile of the new members of the SMT / if they are going to be known “household” names?
  • edited July 2023
    redbuttle said:
    I'm.hoping we'll get some sort of statement from 1 or 2 of the investors or maybe even a full interview on the OS before long. It may help all of us understand the short/medium term goals and we can finally get back to watching and  talking football. Then all the versions of the takeover threads can be consigned to history for at least a couple if years!
    I'm quite excited by the coming season and slightly optimistic of success.
    I don't think that will happen as they are strictly hands off.
    So not really bothered then. Hope they realise that owning a League 1 club doesn't stop with the initial investment. I wonder how much they have put by for transfer windows & to cover the £8m loss we generally make being in this division. I feel Methven has sold them a pup....

Very different to Wrexham. 
    No. They employ people to do the job that they are paid to do and let them get on with it.I they weren't bothered they would've have bought the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    This thread is morphing into another takeover thread..
    It has been listed on the OS that The Brener and Friedman families are top of the list, and were the two people that were being talked about long before the takeover actually happened, and they have been joined by the Rosenfeld family, and I would take that as the three majority shareholders and decision makers, along with a number of minor entities in the conglomerate that are now "The New Owners"..
    More than that, I don't need to know...so onto the rumours thread and next season with a bit of optimism, hopefully not misguided, I go....👍
  • seth plum said:
    Orient will bring a huge support buoyed by their recent success, and like nearly every other team in our division won’t roll over for us, and they have players and a manager who are no mugs.
    We must overcome that, because the game is a must win. Dropping two or three points at home is a disaster and requires a couple of away wins to compensate.
    The new owners must aim for 92 points next season.
    Sod feeling our way into the season, sod time to gel, win.
    The season hasn't even started yet but our opening game is a must win?! That is bonkers 
    I work on the target of winning every home game to please our fans, and drawing every away game to add to those wins and achieve promotion.
    If you lose a home game that is three points lost right there, and can’t be made up with an away win because you need at least one point away according to my target.
    I don’t buy in to the concept of if you have some bad results you make up for them later as an approach. Points won at the start of the season have the same value as points won at the end.
    There, I’ve stated my case, maybe you can explain why my position is bonkers.
  • Selling the club in the future will be very very messy. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Selling the club in the future will be very very messy. 
    I think the majority shareholders make the decisions, come this time. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Look. I get that most of us are sceptical of anyone who buys our club these days and we have every right to be. But some people really need to give their heads a wobble.

As part of the takeover, these people had to provide proof of funds and a financial plan for the next two years (I, personally, feel it should be a requirement to update that plan annually). Given that, I think we can say that they know what they’re in for, at least for the next 24 months, even if we’re lying 12th after three straight defeats.

They don’t have a free pass and, if they’ve done their homework on us which I think they have, they won’t expect one. I have concerns about Sutherland & Carter’s public support for Sandgaard at a time when it was obvious he hadn’t a clue. This club needs strong characters in senior positions who are willing and able to speak up when things aren’t right. 

Agree.  The investors are not stupid and will have agreed a budget which obviously allows for operating losses and hopefully investment in players.  Proving funds cover two years costs does not mean they do not have a 3, 4 or 5 year business plan.  

Is interesting to learn how they think they can add value as investors, some of which we've heard, but personally, not much interested in hearing waffle and what they think about Charlton without it throwing light on: 

how far ahead they have set a business plan,
    what level of funds are in place to cover losses,
    whether they are anticipating an increase or a reduction in losses - at what pace and over what period.

It is inevitable that experience will not match the business plan, so would ask whether investors have any commitment, binding or otherwise, to provide additional capital in the event of losses or investments exceeding anticipated sums over the business plan period.  Knowledge of this would give an insight into when we run the risk of the new investors getting cold feet and looking for an exit.  

Don't know why the main board could not be open about this, except to protect the main investors, plus CM, egos in case it all goes pear shaped.

Better getting these answers than just speculating and forming pre-conceived views about the new owners.

• Sponsored links:

• FSLN1 said:

We are a loss making club because we go out of our way to not make money. We price tickets to basically increase the number of red seats on display and for those that do buy a ticket we then discourage fans buying refreshments or merchandise by limiting the outlets on match days; and when the spreadsheets show the numbers mean there will be ongoing losses to fund because the team is not quite good enough, instead of spending a bit more on bringing in players to turn it around it just encourages belt tightening. Want to make money ? Build the squad (which we seem to now be doing), price tickets to fill the ground and open up the outlets/kiosks and keep them open longer.
    The vast majority of the 92 professional football clubs in England lose money.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Orient will bring a huge support buoyed by their recent success, and like nearly every other team in our division won’t roll over for us, and they have players and a manager who are no mugs.
    We must overcome that, because the game is a must win. Dropping two or three points at home is a disaster and requires a couple of away wins to compensate.
    The new owners must aim for 92 points next season.
    Sod feeling our way into the season, sod time to gel, win.
    The season hasn't even started yet but our opening game is a must win?! That is bonkers 
    I work on the target of winning every home game to please our fans, and drawing every away game to add to those wins and achieve promotion.
    If you lose a home game that is three points lost right there, and can’t be made up with an away win because you need at least one point away according to my target.
    I don’t buy in to the concept of if you have some bad results you make up for them later as an approach. Points won at the start of the season have the same value as points won at the end.
    There, I’ve stated my case, maybe you can explain why my position is bonkers.
    I think this is right although very much the dream scenario. Yes every point is vital but momentum into the sharp end of the season is very much a reality. Quite a few teams will be out of the top six but hit form on the run in and accrue more points towards the end than earlier in the season. Although I want us to win every game starting with Orient I’ll be quite happy if we’re top eight all season and hit our purple patch last 10 games. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    FSLN1 said:

This.

Roland was a shrewd businessman that wanted to keep a low profile, Sandgaard was the opposite and wanted to be too involved. There is a difference between a low profile and zero engagement. They can also engage with the fanbase and be hands-off in the running of the club.

We don't know anything about our new owners and their vision for the future as it stands, and ultimately, they set the budgets and give the SMT their remit. After a succession of bad owners, I would rather understand that vision and motivation for buying the club. I'm not going to take the words of Methven at face value as I wasn't impressed with his attempts to manipulate the fanbase through leaks and briefings. 
  • Yes. My target is effectively two points a game. It is not an unreasonable or bonkers hope.
    After ten games last season finishing with Barnsley away on the 24th September we had already dropped seven points from the two points a game target, then we played Oxford at home and dropped two more following a 1-1 draw.
    As soon as we got to that nine point deficit I would irritate some people by describing every game as a must win, but I have explained my reasoning.
  • Win at home, draw away, go up in May 
  • Would hope that, before the week is out, we'll see a more in depth interview with Rodwell outlining short/medium term plans.
  • Rothko said:
    Win at home, draw away, go up in May 
    In essence yes. 
  • Rothko said:
    Win at home, draw away, go up in May 
    In essence yes. 
    Or, to quote my old Dad's favourite "A win at home, a draw away, brings promotion any day"... he was a lifelong Charlton fan.
  • One away win is still better than two away draws.