Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who are our new owners then?

Comments

• edited July 2023
    Methven will be on the front cover of the Orient programme.
  • edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    The interview didn't particularly cover costs and how they're covered, nor did it dwell on the academy and how that might progress.
    What was actually said (leaving out stuff about the Valley) was OK and nothing to especially object to.
    Still watching like a Hawk?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    The interview didn't particularly cover costs and how they're covered, nor did it dwell on the academy and how that might progress.
    What was actually said (leaving out stuff about the Valley) was OK and nothing to especially object to.
    Still watching like a Hawk?
    A bit I suppose.
    I am not a blank cheque type.
  • Who are in the important roles and what have they done that makes people happy that we have the right people in place, if anyone can be bothered thanks in advance 
  • edited July 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    Not expecting anything too much from this crowd.

Too many shareholders will be dabbling and Methven does not look like a good bloke - more looks like an asset stripper, even though we have very few assets left! Big problem remains Roly, who own the only real assets we have.

I see yet more underperformance ahead and it will be interesting to see if this new committee of owners will live up to their own hype, latest of which is that we do not "fit in league 1" - no shit Sherlock !!

Just hearing Methven now on BBC London- what a knobhead, especially as he says the new owners see us as a "bit of fun" in his poncy Etonian accent. We will not see these clowns in front of us.

They may pull it off, but my gut feeling is that they are not interested in Charlton and so if they get off to a bad start, we will be back to where we started under Sandgaard.

Hope I am wrong!
    I'm thinking we must have listened to a different interview.
    He said all the right things as far as I'm concerned.
    Whether they will succeed no one knows.
    But he's definitely not a knobhead, just because he went to Eton (which is basically your bigotry).
    It’s funny you think I am bigoted! CM was generally hated by Sunderland fans and maybe our fans will warm to him. I reserve judgement.

If we put all that bullshit aside and they invest properly in the squad, then I’ll be the first to applaud. Guess we will find out in the next 5 weeks if they will give the fans a team worth following. 

Anything less than a top 6 finish next season will be a failure and CMs jib will really kop it if we have another season like the last few.

In one way, you are right that success is never guaranteed, but the club will only get back if the fans get the team that is better than the dross we have seen since Bowyer left.

I am cynical with good reason

• Sponsored links:

• Give them a chance but be extremely wary. And by no means roll out the red carpet. That’s where I’m at.
    Agree 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

- when asked about his role, he answered exactly as he did in our interview. That's interesting because since then Gavin Carter has come along and been parked on the CAFC board. I had assumed that it meant Carter would play the role of liaison point between SMT and investors. But CM said tonight that remains his role. So what's the point of Gavin Carter?

- he referred to "the Performance dept" as being one of the keys to success on the pitch. This was something we discussed at length but he asked it  be kept off the record. At the time I thought he was just throwing it in because he somehow knew I'm always banging on about medical and fitness. Seems he's serious. There's no point in getting in good players if they're always injured. Good. I'm looking forward to the material improvements

-Technical director to be appointed in "hours, if not days" they apparently have someone, who needs to negotiate finishing up at wherever he is now. 

He speaks fluently. It is one of the personal attributes. I recommend to treat it as neither a good nor a bad thing. He has set out his stall, on the record. So let's judge him over time on the goodies he's displayed on that stall.
    Is that a paid role do we know?

Why are the ‘media’ engaging with him at this early stage when we have Rodwell as part of the management team and CM was suggested to be only a 5% investor? Has Rodwell decline to be interviewed?
    Shouldn't it be paid?  If its an actual job, he should get paid, shouldn't he?

I once worked for Sainsbury's whom I had shares in, I still expected to be paid 😀 😃 
    Many owners / investors do not take money out despite investing time as well. 

Trying to understand why he is currently the public face that is all. 

There was plenty of criticism on here for the nepotism towards MS from TS and his supposed generous salary. 

That said if we can afford such paid positions now in addition to the seemingly larger SMT that would indicate a healthier operating budget and maybe a good thing for current staff and the playing squad too. A reason to be optimistic? 
    I think there are a bit of apples and oranges there because I don't think anyone would have cared what MS's salary, which was being paid by his dad not the club, was if Thomas had carried on funding the team.  You can't plead poverty and "operation breakeven" and pay your son 6 figures.

I do find it a bit strange how people get upset that a millionaire might take a salary off a couple of people with at least a 100, if not more, orders of magnitude of wealth.

If we were owned by a Charlton supporting "local boys came good" consortium who put every spare penny into the club and someone weasel their way in to fleece a wage I would obviously feel very differently.

I think that makes sense.
    Missing my main point a little. 

Why is he the public face ? Because he is being paid to do it would make some sense.

But in the absence (in these very early days) of any parallel wider investment in the core infrastructure of the club beyond these higher profile roles doesn’t give me much comfort yet. But hopefully it points to that coming. 
    It was pretty obvious to everyone (but one person) that Methven has and will be fronting the consortium.
    It's his plan and I'm pretty damn confident he's being paid, why would he be working for free?
    I assume you are correct. I’m not sure why the media don’t clarify with him / explain why he is updating on the club and not others. 
    They did in the interview, did you listen to it?
    It's his role because it would be too time consuming for Rodwell or Scott to liaise with 7 plus owners, so he is the conduit.
    He did not explain (because he was not asked) why he still needs to play that role now, when since May 11 (when in the main interview he described his expected role in the same terms) they have brought on board Gavin Carter as an investor (albeit small, - like Methven-) and installed him on the CAFC board.

That seems to me like a duplication of roles.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

- when asked about his role, he answered exactly as he did in our interview. That's interesting because since then Gavin Carter has come along and been parked on the CAFC board. I had assumed that it meant Carter would play the role of liaison point between SMT and investors. But CM said tonight that remains his role. So what's the point of Gavin Carter?

- he referred to "the Performance dept" as being one of the keys to success on the pitch. This was something we discussed at length but he asked it  be kept off the record. At the time I thought he was just throwing it in because he somehow knew I'm always banging on about medical and fitness. Seems he's serious. There's no point in getting in good players if they're always injured. Good. I'm looking forward to the material improvements

-Technical director to be appointed in "hours, if not days" they apparently have someone, who needs to negotiate finishing up at wherever he is now. 

He speaks fluently. It is one of the personal attributes. I recommend to treat it as neither a good nor a bad thing. He has set out his stall, on the record. So let's judge him over time on the goodies he's displayed on that stall.

Why are the ‘media’ engaging with him at this early stage when we have Rodwell as part of the management team and CM was suggested to be only a 5% investor? Has Rodwell decline to be interviewed?

I once worked for Sainsbury's whom I had shares in, I still expected to be paid 😀 😃 

There was plenty of criticism on here for the nepotism towards MS from TS and his supposed generous salary. 

That said if we can afford such paid positions now in addition to the seemingly larger SMT that would indicate a healthier operating budget and maybe a good thing for current staff and the playing squad too. A reason to be optimistic? 
    I think there are a bit of apples and oranges there because I don't think anyone would have cared what MS's salary, which was being paid by his dad not the club, was if Thomas had carried on funding the team.  You can't plead poverty and "operation breakeven" and pay your son 6 figures.

I do find it a bit strange how people get upset that a millionaire might take a salary off a couple of people with at least a 100, if not more, orders of magnitude of wealth.

If we were owned by a Charlton supporting "local boys came good" consortium who put every spare penny into the club and someone weasel their way in to fleece a wage I would obviously feel very differently.

Why is he the public face ? Because he is being paid to do it would make some sense.

But in the absence (in these very early days) of any parallel wider investment in the core infrastructure of the club beyond these higher profile roles doesn’t give me much comfort yet. But hopefully it points to that coming. 
    It was pretty obvious to everyone (but one person) that Methven has and will be fronting the consortium.
    It's his plan and I'm pretty damn confident he's being paid, why would he be working for free?
    I assume you are correct. I’m not sure why the media don’t clarify with him / explain why he is updating on the club and not others. 
    It's his role because it would be too time consuming for Rodwell or Scott to liaise with 7 plus owners, so he is the conduit.
    He did not explain (because he was not asked) why he still needs to play that role now, when since May 11 (when in the main interview he described his expected role in the same terms) they have brought on board Gavin Carter as an investor (albeit small, - like Methven-) and installed him on the CAFC board.

Maybe - although I would envisage Carter as the main fans' conduit and Methven as the public face/conduit to the main owners.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

Does it (Carter on the Board) cover off a potential requirement for a fan representative?
  • Give them a chance but be extremely wary. And by no means roll out the red carpet. That’s where I’m at.
    Interested to know what your coveted red carpet award looks like in practice.

Cheer if we score?
  • BigDiddy said:
    Covered End said: it’s funny you think I am bigoted! CM was generally hated by Sunderland fans and maybe our fans will warm to him. I reserve judgement.

If we put all that bullshit aside and they invest properly in the squad, then I’ll be the first to applaud. Guess we will find out in the next 5 weeks if they will give the fans a team worth following. 

Anything less than a top 6 finish next season will be a failure and CMs jib will really kop it if we have another season like the last few.

In one way, you are right that success is never guaranteed, but the club will only get back if the fans get the team that is better than the dross we have seen since Bowyer left.

I am cynical with good reason.

BigDiddy said:
    Not expecting anything too much from this crowd.

Too many shareholders will be dabbling and Methven does not look like a good bloke - more looks like an asset stripper, even though we have very few assets left! Big problem remains Roly, who own the only real assets we have.

I see yet more underperformance ahead and it will be interesting to see if this new committee of owners will live up to their own hype, latest of which is that we do not "fit in league 1" - no shit Sherlock !!

Just hearing Methven now on BBC London- what a knobhead, especially as he says the new owners see us as a "bit of fun" in his poncy Etonian accent. We will not see these clowns in front of us.

They may pull it off, but my gut feeling is that they are not interested in Charlton and so if they get off to a bad start, we will be back to where we started under Sandgaard.

Hope I am wrong!

I'm thinking we must have listened to a different interview.
    He said all the right things as far as I'm concerned.
    Whether they will succeed no one knows.
    But he's definitely not a knobhead, just because he went to Eton (which is basically your bigotry).

Not sure who said the bit I've bolded, but for me it's worth following Charlton because I'm a fan, for better or worse.
  • Gribbo said:
    Would anyone know, there are the ‘groups’ and within some of those groups there are a composition of smaller contributing investors.

Are any of those groups and investors structurally able to sell their share on at their own discretion and at their own terms?
    Sorry, not sure mate
    A private company will have share agreements that dictate what happens if an investor wants to sell out or dies.  It will normally give an option for his shares to be bought by the other shareholders on a prescribed formula that may or may not be a market rate price.  There can also be concepts of "good leavers" and 'bad leavers' that determines whether the price he is offered for shares is good or poor value. 

If the value of the company goes up it prevents parcels of shares being split-up or ending up with the highest bidder so keeping original shareholders in control.

The shareholdings already disclosed will all be "ordinary" shares which have equal voting rights but there might be additional special classes of shares issued that give certain additional voting rights or preferential rights, for example if there is a distribution of profits or capital.

So it would be inconceivable that the shares can be sold without conditions that protect the interests of existing shareholders and certainly not on terms determine by the seller.
    That's probably true of a UK incorporated entity that isn't a quoted plc
    We've no easy way of finding out what applies to a Cayman Islands corporation and its shares.

GFP is CI incorporated, it is the one with the consortium of shareholders (3 major & several minor)
    GFP owns 75+% of SE7 Partners which in turn will acquire the shares of CAFC from skintgaard's Clear Ocean Capital.
  • Thought he spoke well in the interview, I am cautiously optimistic.
  • I have never heard Charlie Methven or Aaron Paul speak before. Never watched the Sunderland documentary.

That was about as positive as it could be and despite Aaron Paul being slagged off by CL members before I thought Paul ask all the relevant questions including the fact that Charlton fans are understandably wary after the previous past owners.

As someone who gave up their season ticket when Sandgaard said "we are going to blow this division out the water" instead of buying one and who thought that Southall was a chancer from the start (I was proud to be called a bedwetter) I can't say I heard anything in that interview that was out of order. No need for baz ball at this stage while we are still in the corridor of uncertainty regarding incomings. 

I would prefer either Covered end, Bob Munro or Weegie addick to be the fan on the board mainly because I don't know Gavin Carter and is he too close to Charlie Methven ? 

All 3 Charlton names I have put in the frame have an understanding of business acumen and are articulate (when not drinking!)

Agree with Bob Munro that a relay of fans to Carter to Methven to the main investors appears to be the flow of the conduit.

Personally I hope Andy Scott comes back to be the technical director at Sparrows lane as he and Dean Holden had a decent rapport.

As a great philosopher once said:
    Under promise and over achieve🤞
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

Methven's business is all to do with PR, and he is not short of confidence when it comes to public speaking.  He has clearly been very involved in the whole process, so is more likely to have the answers. Also Methven is in the UK, while Carter lives in Canada so an interview with him would come with added complications (time difference, etc).

Having read some of the cliché filled word salad Gavin Carter uses to describe what he has done in his various jobs, it is possible he has not got in his skillset the ability to express himself clearly and in a listener-friendly fashion in an unscripted radio interview. 

Goodness knows who or what initiated Carter's involvement - himself for investment purposes, or maybe Methven as a PR move?  Maybe he will become a link for the fan reps to approach?   It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, that explains why hardly any Charlton fan has heard of Gavin Carter.
    He lives in Canada.
  • With all these small 5-7% owners they missed a trick... they should have sold 5-7% to season ticket holders and gave them a representative seat on the board. Would have done wonders for fan base morale.
  • Ah, that explains why hardly any Charlton fan has heard of Gavin Carter.
    He lives in Canada.
    So did Bryan Adams, and Ive heard of him!
  • With all these small 5-7% owners they missed a trick... they should have sold 5-7% to season ticket holders and gave them a representative seat on the board. Would have done wonders for fan base morale.
    Until they asked us to cough up £700k each year to cover our piece of the losses
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

Maybe - although I would envisage Carter as the main fans' conduit and Methven as the public face/conduit to the main owners.
    I have a feeling Carter's is a bit of a token role, getting an actual fan on the board but don't think he'll actually do all that much. Complete gut feel on that and could be completely wrong.
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

I have a feeling Carter's is a bit of a token role, getting an actual fan on the board but don't think he'll actually do all that much. Complete gut feel on that and could be completely wrong.
    Lee Amis anyone?
  • Nearly all of us have heard of Jonathan Acworth.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Gribbo said:
    Would anyone know, there are the ‘groups’ and within some of those groups there are a composition of smaller contributing investors.

Are any of those groups and investors structurally able to sell their share on at their own discretion and at their own terms?
    Sorry, not sure mate
    A private company will have share agreements that dictate what happens if an investor wants to sell out or dies.  It will normally give an option for his shares to be bought by the other shareholders on a prescribed formula that may or may not be a market rate price.  There can also be concepts of "good leavers" and 'bad leavers' that determines whether the price he is offered for shares is good or poor value. 

If the value of the company goes up it prevents parcels of shares being split-up or ending up with the highest bidder so keeping original shareholders in control.

The shareholdings already disclosed will all be "ordinary" shares which have equal voting rights but there might be additional special classes of shares issued that give certain additional voting rights or preferential rights, for example if there is a distribution of profits or capital.

So it would be inconceivable that the shares can be sold without conditions that protect the interests of existing shareholders and certainly not on terms determine by the seller.
    That's probably true of a UK incorporated entity that isn't a quoted plc
    We've no easy way of finding out what applies to a Cayman Islands corporation and its shares.

GFP is CI incorporated, it is the one with the consortium of shareholders (3 major & several minor)
    GFP owns 75+% of SE7 Partners which in turn will acquire the shares of CAFC from skintgaard's Clear Ocean Capital.
    Don’t see any reason at all why relationships between shareholders in a private company is affected by where company is incorporated. How does Caymen Islands corporate reporting requirements affect private shareholder agreements that are secret whether a UK or overseas corporation?
  • Andy Scott confirmed as technical director
    GBP is an unlisted foreign entity.

In order to market and sell shares to Joe Public in the UK, the process would be complex, expensive and possibly (probably?) illegal. Particularly because of the marketing aspect - that would have difficulties avoiding becoming an unauthorised and therefore illegal financial promotion, as defined.

(This is why Charlton in an earlier iteration was listed on the UK AIM market.  Of course the other issue is that a large number of season ticket holders who previously bought shares got burned by Murray-Obodynski and lost all their money. They would not be too keen to repeat the exercise.)