Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who are our new owners then?

Comments

• Anyone got a link to the Methven interview on BBC Sounds please..🤔
  • AndyG said:
    Well that’s 2 reviews 1 pro 1 scathing 
    CharltonLife Forum, the home of balanced opinion 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Think he's underplayed it a bit there knowing we're in the market for a few players. Smart. Think he came across well...
    Now he would be a dickhead if he said we're going to blow this league out of the water and be Champions this time next year. Plus we'll spend whatever it takes to buy back The Valley & Sparrows Lane. 
    Hopefully that is one of their long term objectives though...
    Can't imagine that it's a conversation that the Consortium won't have had, even just amongst themselves. But equally would be very very surprised if they discuss those plans with us, evn if they do have anything concrete already.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Think he's underplayed it a bit there knowing we're in the market for a few players. Smart. Think he came across well...
    Now he would be a dickhead if he said we're going to blow this league out of the water and be Champions this time next year. Plus we'll spend whatever it takes to buy back The Valley & Sparrows Lane. 
    "Hopefully" they will own the Valley and Sparrows Lane and we are not in the National league.
  • Anyone got a link to the Methven interview on BBC Sounds please..🤔
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxpnnv

Starts about an hour and a half in 
  • Three takeouts

- when asked about his role, he answered exactly as he did in our interview. That's interesting because since then Gavin Carter has come along and been parked on the CAFC board. I had assumed that it meant Carter would play the role of liaison point between SMT and investors. But CM said tonight that remains his role. So what's the point of Gavin Carter?

- he referred to "the Performance dept" as being one of the keys to success on the pitch. This was something we discussed at length but he asked it  be kept off the record. At the time I thought he was just throwing it in because he somehow knew I'm always banging on about medical and fitness. Seems he's serious. There's no point in getting in good players if they're always injured. Good. I'm looking forward to the material improvements

-Technical director to be appointed in "hours, if not days" they apparently have someone, who needs to negotiate finishing up at wherever he is now. 

He speaks fluently. It is one of the personal attributes. I recommend to treat it as neither a good nor a bad thing. He has set out his stall, on the record. So let's judge him over time on the goodies he's displayed on that stall.
    Is that a paid role do we know?

Why are the ‘media’ engaging with him at this early stage when we have Rodwell as part of the management team and CM was suggested to be only a 5% investor? Has Rodwell decline to be interviewed?
  • Three takeouts

- when asked about his role, he answered exactly as he did in our interview. That's interesting because since then Gavin Carter has come along and been parked on the CAFC board. I had assumed that it meant Carter would play the role of liaison point between SMT and investors. But CM said tonight that remains his role. So what's the point of Gavin Carter?

- he referred to "the Performance dept" as being one of the keys to success on the pitch. This was something we discussed at length but he asked it  be kept off the record. At the time I thought he was just throwing it in because he somehow knew I'm always banging on about medical and fitness. Seems he's serious. There's no point in getting in good players if they're always injured. Good. I'm looking forward to the material improvements

-Technical director to be appointed in "hours, if not days" they apparently have someone, who needs to negotiate finishing up at wherever he is now. 

He speaks fluently. It is one of the personal attributes. I recommend to treat it as neither a good nor a bad thing. He has set out his stall, on the record. So let's judge him over time on the goodies he's displayed on that stall.

Why are the ‘media’ engaging with him at this early stage when we have Rodwell as part of the management team and CM was suggested to be only a 5% investor? Has Rodwell decline to be interviewed?
    Shouldn't it be paid?  If its an actual job, he should get paid, shouldn't he?

I once worked for Sainsbury's whom I had shares in, I still expected to be paid 😀 😃 
  • Fairly impressed, but we will have to see...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

I once worked for Sainsbury's whom I had shares in, I still expected to be paid 😀 😃 
    Many owners / investors do not take money out despite investing time as well. 

Trying to understand why he is currently the public face that is all. 

There was plenty of criticism on here for the nepotism towards MS from TS and his supposed generous salary. 

That said if we can afford such paid positions now in addition to the seemingly larger SMT that would indicate a healthier operating budget and maybe a good thing for current staff and the playing squad too. A reason to be optimistic? 
  • edited July 2023
  • Three takeouts

I have no answer to any of those questions. However it does not seem to be in Charlie Methven's nature to be in the background of any project he gets involved in. Rodwell has apparently been happy to open and maintain communication with CAST under strict agreement of confidentiality. Different styles.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    You would hope so but very much doubt that is the intention of this mob.
  • edited July 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

There was plenty of criticism on here for the nepotism towards MS from TS and his supposed generous salary. 

That said if we can afford such paid positions now in addition to the seemingly larger SMT that would indicate a healthier operating budget and maybe a good thing for current staff and the playing squad too. A reason to be optimistic? 
    I think there are a bit of apples and oranges there because I don't think anyone would have cared what MS's salary, which was being paid by his dad not the club, was if Thomas had carried on funding the team.  You can't plead poverty and "operation breakeven" and pay your son 6 figures.

I do find it a bit strange how people get upset that a millionaire might take a salary off a couple of people with at least a 100, if not more, orders of magnitude of wealth.

If we were owned by a Charlton supporting "local boys came good" consortium who put every spare penny into the club and someone weasel their way in to fleece a wage I would obviously feel very differently.

I think that makes sense.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

I think there are a bit of apples and oranges there because I don't think anyone would have cared what MS's salary, which was being paid by his dad not the club, was if Thomas had carried on funding the team.  You can't plead poverty and "operation breakeven" and pay your son 6 figures.

I do find it a bit strange how people get upset that a millionaire might take a salary off a couple of people with at least a 100, if not more, orders of magnitude of wealth.

If we were owned by a Charlton supporting "local boys came good" consortium who put every spare penny into the club and someone weasel their way in to fleece a wage I would obviously feel very differently.

Missing my main point a little. 

Why is he the public face ? Because he is being paid to do it would make some sense.

But in the absence (in these very early days) of any parallel wider investment in the core infrastructure of the club beyond these higher profile roles doesn’t give me much comfort yet. But hopefully it points to that coming. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

Why is he the public face ? Because he is being paid to do it would make some sense.

But in the absence (in these very early days) of any parallel wider investment in the core infrastructure of the club beyond these higher profile roles doesn’t give me much comfort yet. But hopefully it points to that coming. 
    It was pretty obvious to everyone (but one person) that Methven has and will be fronting the consortium.
    It's his plan and I'm pretty damn confident he's being paid, why would he be working for free?
    I assume you are correct. I’m not sure why the media don’t clarify with him / explain why he is updating on the club and not others. 
  • edited July 2023
    Think some people on here and twitter are still getting confused with hedge fund value and personal wealth. Especially in discussions around simply buying the Valley. 

Not surprised Methven has put himself front and centre, and Sunderland fans' opinions of him mean I'm still only cautiously optimistic for what lies ahead. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

It was pretty obvious to everyone (but one person) that Methven has and will be fronting the consortium.
    It's his plan and I'm pretty damn confident he's being paid, why would he be working for free?
    I assume you are correct. I’m not sure why the media don’t clarify with him / explain why he is updating on the club and not others. 
    They did in the interview, did you listen to it?
    It's his role because it would be too time consuming for Rodwell or Scott to liaise with 7 plus owners, so he is the conduit.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Three takeouts

They did in the interview, did you listen to it?
    It's his role because it would be too time consuming for Rodwell or Scott to liaise with 7 plus owners, so he is the conduit.
    That’s not the same thing. Conduit to the money men is not the same as public face to us as fans.